Smallville Smallville's influence in the comics, other DC media

Lex Luthor knowing Superman in Smallville was his origin before the crisis. In the comics Lex and Superboy use to be best friends but an explosion caused Lex to lose all his hair when trying to find a cure to Kryptonite for Superboy causing Lex to lose all his hair and him to disliking Superboy because he (Lex) felt he was doing all this work to save him (Superboy) but he couldn't save him from the fire. Also while I agree with you that SV does get a bad rep but a lot of it was to their own doing and it never really had that big of an influence on the comics outside of Birthright. Personally I loved the show but outside of Birthright it really doesn't have that much of influence. Even in MOS outside of making the Kents younger and using Whitney and Chloe's last name it really had no influence on the movie because most of the stuff in it (tornado, Clark's reaction or how the Kent's told him where he came from,Lexcorp/post crisis Lex etc) happened in the comics, S:TAS, Lois and Clark and other forms of media first. However the best thing SV did that I saw in MOS was they skipped the love triangle and had Lois already know Clark is Superman. SV had to do it for obvious reasons but I like that it transferred over to the movie or at least I like to think that's what it did.

I think it had some influence on Geoff Johns Secret Origins(Clark in red jacket/blue T-shir, John and Martha look, How Clark's heat vision started, Parasite getting his powers because of Kryptonite, Clark saving Lana from herself from tornado being few examples) and Boyer he did watch a few Smallville episodes as influence.

And it was horribly underrated.(it had alot of good moments and if you ignore the love triangle drama which at times were interesting it was a great show, and was as faithful as any other media adaptation of a DC/Marvel comics story). I really like when Superman writers praise Smallville and show some appreciation for the show.

So you venture into the MoS forum and what do you find?

Threads about how long can Clark hide his identity for, but wait, the entire Smallville town knows that he and Superman are one and the same, will those glasses work then? If Superman should kill, ghost of Jor-El, yada yada yada.

Basically, all the flak Smallville used to receive.

Haha.

Boy, there were a ****load of SV guest stars in MOS, huh? Adams, for one. Tahmoh Penikett, Alessandro Juliani, the older Lex clone... there are even more I think. The guy that was dicking around with Clark at the bar before having his truck turned into a pincushion, I think he guest starred at least once.

The guy who said the Superman name for the first time played Danny Turpin in S8. Plus, the "Sullivan shop" or whatever it was, an obvious nod to Chloe and the guy who was bullying Clark was Whitney. Smallville had obvious influence on that movie, which makes it's nay-sayers look even more stupid.

Zack Snyder talked about paying homage to Smallville saying:

On the film’s ”Smallville” references (look closely for homages to the characters of Chloe and Whitney)
"Ya know, [TVs Smallville is] in the Superman mythology now. I was interested in that kind of homage to the mythology. I feel it’s not so much about paying more homage to the series, it’s just in the vernacular of Superman now."

SOURCE: http://moviehole.net/201365774exclu...references-justice-league#TrhvQL2BffP8gyJq.99

Man of Steel casts a Lana Lang who is a dark-haired girl of Native American descent. I realize Kreuk was Asian but she was really the first to depart from the red-headed Lana Lang in live action and certainly the first "ethnic" one.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/169317-man-of-steel-casts-a-young-lana-lang

Of course in "Lois and Clark" they had a Lois who was a dark-haired women of Native American descent. Although Hatcher is more Syrian than Choctaw, so her Native American ancestry probably has little to do with her looks.

I saw Man of Steel earlier this afternoon by myself, and then again a few hours ago with some friends, and here are some of the similarities and possible references to Smallville that I noticed. SPOILERS!

• When Clark is pulled out of his car and harassed by some boys, you can see a sign in the background of the auto shop that says "Sullivan's," which could be a reference to Chloe's family.
  • In the same scene, some of the boys are wearing a similar styled Smallville High letterman jacket like the Smallville crows had.
  • Pete's mother mentions a "Fordman" kid, which could refer to Whitney.
  • Lois meets Clark before he becomes Superman, and even after this, she tries to protect his true identity.
  • Clark does not know how to fly and does not attempt to until he wears the costume. He also cannot get the hang of flying right away.
  • Jonathan dies in an attempt to prevent Clark from revealing his secret.
  • Clark does not wear glasses at all as a child. He does not start until he joins the Daily Planet.
  • The younger versions of Clark bare a strong similarity to how Tom Welling looked as a young Clark Kent.
  • Jonathan reveals the truth to Clark about his true heritage.
I'm sure there's more that my lack of sleep won't allow me to remember right now. And I know some of these things were done in the comics first, but its just interesting to see how much they incorporated from the show, especially things that people seemed so outraged bout and unwilling to accept in the past.

But in MOS the other boy is Fordham, not Fordman.

In some ways MOS takes "Lois learns Clark is an alien before the debut of Superman" even further. She learns Clark is Super-powered before his public debut at all.

Did Clark put on a Red K ring and go on a 3 month bank robbing spree? Did they turn Jor-El into a complete jackass who makes Clark's life a living Hell? I am guessing I can safely assume they didn't drag out Clana for 7 Seasons to the point you just wanted to throw something at the screen anytime both of them appeared in a scene or even mentioned eachother.

Those would be my biggest beefs

MOS goes to the other extreme. We have no evidence that Clark and Lana ever dated.

We also have no evidence that Lois ever slept with her boss.

My biggest surprise in the movie was Clark not knowing how to fly (or the fact that he could fly) until after getting the costume. I mean that was one of the major complaints about Smallville other than the no tights rule. Yet people don't seem to care as much as before.

Anyway, I saw the movie this afternoon and absolutely loved it. I noticed many similarities with Smallville.

I have to say that was one of my least favorite scenes from MOS. I much prefer the L&C route where Martha makes the costume. Still, there is some realism to not flying if you have no clue you can. OK, what am I saying, including realism and a man flying in the same sentence.

Yeah, I loved the movie too, and I wonder if its because of the Smallville similarities. But he didn't fly in the Donner film either until he went to the Fortress for seven years and came out with the suit. That's why I never understood the whole opposition to the "Flights and Tights" rule. I also think they did a good job explaining why Clark couldn't fly on the show.

But the biggest thing to me was him meeting Lois before even becoming Superman.

Actually, in the Donner film he spent 12 years in the fortress.

One gripe some have against MOS is "how did Clark get a job at the DP." However, he actually is only a stringer. The big question in STM was, how did Clark get a job? But maybe there was more between the end of his 12 years in the fortress and his coming to work at the DP.

But the biggest thing to me was him meeting Lois before even becoming Superman.

He also does that in L&C. He doen't even get the idea of a secret identity until something Lois says inadvertently gives him the idea. Even in the old "Adventures of Superman" in the 1950s, Lois meets Clark before Superman's debut. Now, Lois knowing CK=SM before there is an SM is groundbreaking. Although, since SV has "The Flash" there is still some element of the love triangle of 2, although I don't know that Lois ever has a romantic interest in the Blur. However with Clark able to identify Stilletto as Lois immediately, no matter how many episodes Lois knows CK=The Blur before he tells her, we still have him having the upper hand. I like MOS having Lois in the know so early.

On L&C he met Lois first(when he got a job at the DP), Superman showed up later in the pilot episode. Without over spoiling things did Clark meet Lois at the DP?

No, unless you count that at the time they meet Lois is working for the DP.

Actually if you look at the Clark and Lois meetings in MOS and SV in some ways they are opposites, with at least Lois's situation very similar to L&C. In L&C Lois barely acknowledges Clark when they first met, Lois is an award winning journalist, who has been a war correspondant, and the top ranked journalist at the planet. Clark has spent the last few years moving from job to job in large part to keep his secret safe.

In SV Lois and Clark meet as high school students.

In MOS, Lois barely acknowledges Clark when she first meets him, she is an award winning journalist (arguably having won bigger awards, in L&C the Pulitzer is her hoped for future, in MOS her past), who has been a war correspondant (this is more obvious in MOS, in L&C you only learn that Lois was a war correspondant from her Kerth Awards, and you maybe can read them by freeze-framing a shot from one TV show, or you can go and dig up the transcriptions of what they said put up on the internet by a devote fan who toured the set). Clark has spent the last few years moving from job to job, in part to keep his secret safe. Actually the biggest different is that Lois ignoring a baggage handler at a government dig site is not quite the same as her ignoring a potential work college.

There was also a Professor Hamilton in the Lois & Clark TV series, and I believe the character has also appeared in other forms.

Hamilton first appeared in the comics with the Superman reboot in 1986. He actually gets short shift in L&C, with Dr. Klein having a much bigger role as scientific advisor. I have to say I prefer Klein.

Hamilton also appeared in STAS. He was also in the Superman Returns video game, although possibly not in the film.

Also,
Clark is 33 when he first dons the suit in the movie, and people gave "Smallville" crap for not putting Tom in the suit for ten years. By my math, Clark was 25 in "Finale", so he beat Cavil's Superman by at least eight years!

But, to be fair, a better analogy to SV, would have been doing MOS without having Superman appear. Although to be fair they did not have "Clark Kent", as in the reporter, appear until the very last scene.

in smallville itself it established that clark could have children (superman returns nod)

Well, Lois and Clark clearly establishes that not only can Clark have children, but his and Lois's children are key to the future. The only way to reconcile this with the end of Season 4 is, Dr. Klein is wrong. And it actually seems that Lois' father figures that out, but then has his memory of such wiped.

So I don't know if this would count as a nod to Smallville or not, but in the movie, Clark used the name "Joe" as he went around various places and worked jobs. In Smallville, when we see a young Jor-El on Earth, he also goes by the name of "Joe". I say they're similar because in the movie, Clark was sort of a drifter, and in Smallville, Jor-El was known as The Drifter. Its a stretch, but I still find that very interesting.

Except since one of the two creators of Superman had Joseph as a first name, that is more likely the reference. Plus, in MOS, it is only clear he used Joe at the Elsemere Island site. All they ever called him on the boat was "greenhorn".

I have to say that was one of my least favorite scenes from MOS. I much prefer the L&C route where Martha makes the costume. Still, there is some realism to not flying if you have no clue you can. OK, what am I saying, including realism and a man flying in the same sentence.

Well there's the other extreme is John Byrne having the costume created after he was forced to save the space plane in public and had the luck of rushing out before giving out his name and Lois named him Superman. I'm comfortable if the origin of the costume is like the New 52 origin for the Superman costume or the Kryptonian baby blankets with the House of El crest/Kryptonian symbol of Hope bring turned into the Superman costume by Ma Kent(I also like how in the late 40s introduced the idea that Kryptonians was a society that wears capes and tights similar to Superman instead of him inspired by the Mystery Men/Superheroes of the 40s).

I admit when I saw MOS there was a lot of things that I saw in Smallville, DCAU(STAS, JL/JLU), Lois and Clark, JMS Superman Earth One, Birthright, Secret Origins, New 52 Superman, JLA:The Nail/Another Nail, Donner STM the most. It was a pretty good Superman movie for what's it worth.

the character designs. the kents in birthright look exactly like they do in smallville. and i think chloe sullivan was added into the comics later on. and chloe's family name is referenced in man of steel

Chloe was first alluded to in Superman: Secret Origin(after Clark inadvertently broke Pete's hand, his cast was signed by a "Chloe S.") and later introduced in Action Comics as Jimmy's ex-girlfriend. She hasn't appeared since the DC reboot but I think she will sooner or later.

Just got the first volume of the Superman Family Adventures trade (by Art Baltazar and Franco, the crew that did Tiny Titans) for my daughter and noticed this panel:

2440885-untitled_1.png

yrbj.jpg

So I was just reading through the H'el On Earth saga and I noticed the Smallville show logo on Clark's hoodie in Superman #13 of the new 52. Oh and of course the Red/Blue get-up he wears when he's just in civilian mode. Figured this was worth adding.

And it totally makes sense considering Clark is supposed to be in his twenties in the New52. Hell, Diana is 23.

I felt the whole television series was one really long training session. Once he puts on the suit, he knows what he's doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"