The Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Man Gets a Set of Parents and Another Villain

Look who was right? Movie may still be amazing, but I lol at the people who get their hopes up only to be let down. Sony reared its ugly head with SM3, did again with SM4, and then people think the reboot is going to suddenly be the best thing ever. This is the X-Men boards all over again. Wolverine was going to be amazing! It was going to redeem X3. Better to be cautious and suprised than be excited and disappointed. You can already see people trying to rationalize what Van Adder is going to be in the film other than who he is in the comic.

Sony may have reared their ugly head by "forcing" Venom down on Raimi, but did they force him to:

- Retcon Spidey's origin by having Sandman as Uncle Ben's killer.
- Turn Peter into a Jazz loving lesbian.
- Cast Eric Foreman as Eddie Brock.
- Turn Venom into a shrieking dinosaur.
- Have MJ captured by the villains at the climax for the upteenth time.
- Constant dancing, singing, crying.
- Have Parker still be a huge nerd at college even though by the time he moves in with Harry in SM1 he is a normal, well adjusted guy.
- Corball dialogue delivered by his spawn.
- Write a screenplay chock full with plot inconsistencies and ridiculous character moments.
- Etc, etc... :o

He added what he liked because he was forced to add things he didn't want in the first place. Sure, they weren't the best ideas, but if the studio didn't force Venom and the symbiote in, alot of that stuff wouldn't have ever happened. In order to put up with it, he did things that he thought he could deal with. Obviously, they didn't work out. But that's what happens when the studio meddles.

Sony may have reared their ugly head by "forcing" Venom down on Raimi, but did they force him to:

- Have Parker still be a huge nerd at college even though by the time he moves in with Harry in SM1 he is a normal, well adjusted guy.
- Write a screenplay chock full with plot inconsistencies and ridiculous character moments.

Very good points. Good riddance Sam "Cheese It Up Dark Man" Raimi.

He added what he liked because he was forced to add things he didn't want in the first place. Sure, they weren't the best ideas, but if the studio didn't force Venom and the symbiote in, alot of that stuff wouldn't have ever happened. In order to put up with it, he did things that he thought he could deal with. Obviously, they didn't work out. But that's what happens when the studio meddles.

Come on man, it's not really that he had to work with Venom, it's how he chose to use the symbiote that's problematic. But he wanted to also indulge himself and keep Sandman and add Gwen Stacy to boot. What I don't get is how Bryan Singer was able to handle Tom Rothman at Fox with his X-movies but Sam Raimi couldn't put his foot down on Avi Arad.

* no symbiote and all the emo, dancing, finger pointing goes as well as the black suit accentuates peter's geekness, guilt and anger.

* no symbiote and there is no need to tie sandman to the uncle ben murder as there is no need to get peter excessively angry at sandman(which is hightened when he puts on the black costume).

* with the vulture in the movie the sandman has motivation as the vulture is pushing the sandman to crime.

* the vulture and sandman would be established at partners so there would be no need for a contrived reason to team them up against spidey like sandman and venom.

Sam and his brother wrote the first draft of the script with Vulture. That got tossed and Sony/Laura Zirskin brought in Alvin Sargent. I am sure some of those ideas were from Raimi. However, Gwen, in Raimi's version, was to be kidnapped and not MJ. That was changed by 'the people in charge'.

We will never know. What we do know is that Raimi was left alone creatively for SM1 and SM2 and those turned out fine. Sony steps in for SM3 and things go sour. Sony steps in again for SM4 and Raimi walks. Now we have a reboot with Marc Webb and....LAURA ZISKIN & SONY:awesome: Guess who was brought in to polish up this script? Did you say Alvin Sargent? Then you are correct! Sound familiar?

Sam and his brother wrote the first draft of the script with Vulture. That got tossed and Sony/Laura Zirskin brought in Alvin Sargent. I am sure some of those ideas were from Raimi. However, Gwen, in Raimi's version, was to be kidnapped and not MJ. That was changed by 'the people in charge'.

We will never know. What we do know is that Raimi was left alone creatively for SM1 and SM2 and those turned out fine. Sony steps in for SM3 and things go sour. Sony steps in again for SM4 and Raimi walks. Now we have a reboot with Marc Webb and....LAURA ZISKIN & SONY:awesome: Guess who was brought in to polish up this script? Did you say Alvin Sargent? Then you are correct! Sound familiar?
Gwen, eh? Interesting. I wonder why Eddie would've kidnapped the object of his affection, but I think it could've turned into something interesting.

when's the last time u watched sm2? with the success of sm1, you can see how the studio loosened the restraints on raimi because there is increased cheesiness and change in tone. By the time sm3 rolled around, Raimi was in circle jerk mode and the movie turned out to be a complete mess.

Raimi actually said himself after SM3 that "SM4" would be the first time he would have full control. So no, he didn't have that in SM1 or SM2 either. Probably more than in SM3 however.

when's the last time u watched sm2? with the success of sm1, you can see how the studio loosened the restraints on raimi because there is increased cheesiness and change in tone. By the time sm3 rolled around, Raimi was in circle jerk mode and the movie turned out to be a complete mess.

the cheese in SM2 works for me

* elevater conversation
* raindrops

= genius

the cheese in SM3 didn't work for me although I'll admit, I (and the entire cinema) were cracking up laughing with the finger pointing. it was freaking hilarious. so if sam's job is to entertain he succeeded.

So no, he didn't have that in SM1 or SM2 either.
He still had alot more control over those than the 3rd one though.

I still get so pissed tihnking about it. Sam made 3 amazing Spider-Man films (yes, I loved the 3rd. The 2nd film being my favorite, the 1st film being my second favorite and the 3rd being my 3rd favorite). Sam was supposed to have FULL control over S-M4, and Sony pretty much lied to him. If they would have given him complete creative control over S-M4, it probably would have been incredible.

the cheese in SM2 works for me

* elevater conversation
* raindrops

= genius

the cheese in SM3 didn't work for me although I'll admit, I (and the entire cinema) were cracking up laughing with the finger pointing. it was freaking hilarious. so if sam's job is to entertain he succeeded.

Yes, agreed. I loved the "Raindrops keep falling on my head" bit. In fact, SM3 is close to perfect. I truly loved that film and always will. That's what made part 3 all the more shocking and repulsive.

Come on man, it's not really that he had to work with Venom, it's how he chose to use the symbiote that's problematic. But he wanted to also indulge himself and keep Sandman and add Gwen Stacy to boot. What I don't get is how Bryan Singer was able to handle Tom Rothman at Fox with his X-movies but Sam Raimi couldn't put his foot down on Avi Arad.

Because he didn't love Venom and the idea of the symbiote in the first place. :huh: That obviously showed. You could feel the love poured into the first two films as they were his films. Because he didn't love them, it suffered. Is it his fault he wasn't able to put his foot down? Yeah, he should have stuck to his guns, but what did he do after all? He listened to Arad and the fans who wanted Venom. And when he actually did listen to them, look what happened. It's Raimi's fault he didn't stick to his guns and make his own film, but I give him credit for giving the effort in hearing the fans. At least we know he does it for the audience. Whether you like these films or not, he's a passionate filmmaker and he always had good intentions. That passion wasn't there in SM3 but he tried his best to bear what he didn't like. It didn't work out boviously, but that's what happens when there's another cook in the kitchen. If you don't think he is passionate, you're in denial. Your bias and dislike towards him gets in the way. People saying he did it for the money and did everything to screw up intentionally to the fans is a big WTF.

* no symbiote and all the emo, dancing, finger pointing goes as well as the black suit accentuates peter's geekness, guilt and anger.

* no symbiote and there is no need to tie sandman to the uncle ben murder as there is no need to get peter excessively angry at sandman(which is hightened when he puts on the black costume).

* with the vulture in the movie the sandman has motivation as the vulture is pushing the sandman to crime.

* the vulture and sandman would be established at partners so there would be no need for a contrived reason to team them up against spidey like sandman and venom.

There was absolutely no need to include that dancing, emo haircut/talk. The symbiote's influence on Peter actually could've been really interesting. Instead it was turned into comic relief for the most part. Just wrong. People act like it's Venom's fault. It's not. I will agree the fully formed Venom character probably isn't terribly interesting, but the buildup to that with Peter going on a power trip had potential.

chaseter said:

In the SM3 commentary he says he changed it from Gwen to MJ because he thought it would be more dramatic to have Peter and Harry saving the woman they both loved.

Alvin Sargent of Spider-Man 2 fame? :o And Marc Webb is fine. His 500 Days Of Summer is one of my favoritest movies.

Doctor Jones said:
Because he didn't love Venom and the idea of the symbiote in the first place. :huh: That obviously showed. You could feel the love poured into the first two films as they were his films. Because he didn't love them, it suffered. Is it his fault he wasn't able to put his foot down? Yeah, he should have stuck to his guns, but what did he do after all? He listened to Arad and the fans who wanted Venom. And when he actually did listen to them, look what happened. It's Raimi's fault he didn't stick to his guns and make his own film, but I give him credit for giving the effort in hearing the fans. At least we know he does it for the audience. Whether you like these films or not, he's a passionate filmmaker and he always had good intentions. That passion wasn't there in SM3 but he tried his best to bear what he didn't like. It didn't work out boviously, but that's what happens when there's another cook in the kitchen. If you don't think he is passionate, you're in denial. Your bias and dislike towards him gets in the way. People saying he did it for the money and did everything to screw up intentionally to the fans is a big WTF.

I'm well aware of the fact that he didn't love Venom (and he later admitted to start appreciating the character). Again, the problem was the approach. I remember reading somewhere that some of the people who worked on the film thought the Peter dancing sequences were being shot in good fun, and would've ended up on the cutting room floor. Whoops. Raimi was showing signs of losing his mind during this production. And I do love these films. I adore SM1 and SM2...and love about 50% of SM3. Gave it an 8 when it came out. But the love affair went sour and I was left heartbroken.

Tsotsi is an amazing movie and looked how well Wolverine turned out for Gavin Hood.

The less said about XMO:W the better. :o

Yes, agreed. I loved the "Raindrops keep falling on my head" bit. In fact, SM3 is close to perfect. I truly loved that film and always will. That's what made part 3 all the more shocking and repulsive.

I am Severus Snape, and I endorse this post.

Gwen, eh? Interesting. I wonder why Eddie would've kidnapped the object of his affection, but I think it could've turned into something interesting.

Cause she rejected him and went out with Peter. That's why. MJ being kidnapped I believe was a reshoot. I think the Gwen kidnapping scenes actually were filmed.

Cause she rejected him and went out with Peter. That's why. MJ being kidnapped I believe was a reshoot. I think the Gwen kidnapping scenes actually were filmed.
See, I feel like that would've added much more depth to Venom. If his motivation had been revenge on everyone he felt had wronged him, and not just, "I hate Peter. I'm going to kidnap his girlfriend."

I agree, and that was a major flaw in the theatrical SM3. But, I do think that got filmed. As did the alternate "Sand castle" scene in which Venom and Sandman team-up. As did Sandman's daughter stopping Sandman from killing Spider-Man.

You see, there was a much better SM3 filmed. We just didn't see it. We saw the version slashed for time. While not all flaws would have been fixed by these scenes (Sandman killing Ben, etc), I do think we may have a much better SM3 not available to us yet. Hopefully, Sony makes that EE at some point.

I don't think that they're going to release anything consisting of SM3, it left a really bad stain, that can't be cleansed. The last thing they want is people thinking of SM3, when they're working on a new Spider-Man film.

©KAW;19343278 said:
I don't think that they're going to release anything consisting of SM3, it left a really bad stain, that can't be cleansed. The last thing they want is people thinking of SM3, when they're working on a new Spider-Man film.

Yeah, when Sony makes bad decisions, it doesn't usually affect their money flow

That's true in a lot of ways, but just because it hasn't, doesn't mean it can't. Sells were way down in the releasing of SM3's DVD, Spider-Man's biggest film to date. Should have been up there with the sells of SM2 or SM1's DVD.

When do they usually release these extra footage DVDs?

Last edited:
SM2 had one, daredevil had one, ghost rider, fantastic four, iron man 2 was supposed to have one, kick-ass will have one..

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"