Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 113

I don't think that's the reason but if it is, that's a stupid reason on their part. The majority of a movie going audience isn't going to associate a separate character with marijuana.

My whole issue is if she's reworked, just name her Mary Jane and keep Zendaya. Calling her only "MJ" as Michelle is just pointless. Maybe if her last name started with a J and we knew that, I could be more accepting. But it just seems forced.

Well just like Liz we really don't know people's last names in this movie. In fact Mary Jane the J didn't come from her last name cause her full name was Mary J. Watson. So who knows what her Middle name is.

Visually and structurally this felt like a comic book come to life unlike any other superhero movie I've seen before.

Man, you nailed it :up:

Agreed. Great review Doc. I would agree with your one gripe. There were a few dramatic scenes I think could have gone a tad farther to really hit that emotional core (the Peter Aunt May scene for example.) Still, I have faith they'll get there.

Also, I didn't know we were so close in age Doc. I'm 28, I think we joined the hype around the same time too.

The wait is almost over for me. Headed to the theater in less than an hour. So excited!

To me this is the first Spider-man movie not to talk down to you and treat the material like disposable nonsense.

It brokedown the core of Spider-man's identity.

1) Teenager balancing monumental ambition and growing up

2) Working class kid who's talented beyond his humble beginnings yet stays true to his friends and family.

3) Gifted nerd who makes you proud of being a nerd in the best way

And the way the Vulture was used to perfectly mirror these traits in a complex way was brilliantly executed.

I'v been on the internet crying to the heavens how ALL the Spider-man movies were missing something.

I never expected Heaven Feige to answer so completely and so perfectly.

Congrats, true believers.

Whether you're a die hard SM2 fan or a hardcore SMH fan, it's safe to say every Spider-man fan on the planet has at least one Spider-man movie that speaks to their soul.

Excelsior!

No, everyone BUT Peter was race swapped!

Queens is pretty damn diverse. I've been up there a few times when visiting NYC. As was previously stated, this is 2017 not 1950. Other than Flash, I never even noticed the race thing. And I only know Flash is white because who the hell doesn't? I'm hoping Liz and Peter have a future in the movies with her being smokin' hot and a super villains daughter...

Last edited:
Ned, Peter's fat friend is Ned Leeds.
Jason Ionello was also race swapped.
Liz is now "forgivable" as she is not Liz Allen...

Agreed. Great review Doc. I would agree with your one gripe. There were a few dramatic scenes I think could have gone a tad farther to really hit that emotional core (the Peter Aunt May scene for example.) Still, I have faith they'll get there.

Also, I didn't know we were so close in age Doc. I'm 28, I think we joined the hype around the same time too.

Thanks! And yeah, Aunt May and Peter could have had one or two really great dramatic scenes. Not that I always want the conflict to come out of a worried Aunt May, but just to show how much they care about each other or hell, Aunt May talking about Uncle Ben. There was enough to get you to care about them, but you have a different, private dynamic with Peter and Aunt May. Which means both can be more honest with each other emotionally.

Hell, I wouldn't have minded a flash back with Uncle Ben. Not that you always need to bring Uncle Ben up, but it would have been appropriate with Peter's journey here. No one ever gets tired of with great power comes great responsibility. They could have re-contextualized it here without doing any origin.

But the absence of these don't sink the movie or anything. It's just they could have been there and could have afforded to swap the comedic stuff with the dramatic. You run the problem of when you finally have a dramatic scene, it's not taken as seriously or it might read as funny.

Yeah, I was 16 when I joined here after TDK. Good times.

Wow, I really enjoyed Homecoming. I saw it last night in Imax and was blown away. I had quite a few concerns going into the film, and a lot of them were blew way out of proportion. I can easily say Holland is the best Spidey/Parker yet on screen. I cannot wait for the sequel. I did have a few issues overall. Nothing major except for
Michelle potentially being Mary Jane

I'll stick to the old comics and spectacular spider-man series
unless a certain thief shows up then I'm pretty much out

People often use the comic accuracy argument to justify their own prejudices. Unless the color of the character's skin is integral to the character, it doesn't matter. Flash Thompson was a ******** in the comics and he's a ******** here.

Came back from my 2nd viewing. Enjoyed it even more that my first one.

This film is pure awesomeness!

P.S: Broseph44 asked me if I found any negatives in the previous part of this thread. My only gripe would be some of the editing during the place sequence where it gets a bit hard to follow what is going on. But it's only for 1-2 minutes. Other than that, hard to find anything displeasing.

Last edited:
Well, this has been one hell of a journey.

And I'm glad to report that Spider-Man: Homecoming is in my opinion the best Spider-Man film of all time, one of the best MCU and superhero films of all time, with one of the best and most memorable villains among any other superhero films, edging out even Molina's Octopus. I couldn't believe what I saw one month or so ago. Watching the film at the midnight screening was a wild experience that left me extremely happy, nostalgic and feeling a tad bit old. Spidey is home, and I'm very excited for what the future holds.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is making big bank at the box office and I feel it's poised to become Spider-Man's highest film at the box office. Deservedly so. The new generation has a Spider-Man, and it's not just a Spider-Man. It's THE Spider-Man. The jouney that brought us here was something special to me. It changed how I perceive films in many ways, but at same time it made me feel part of the whole process. The feeling I have right now is just not happiness, I am proud. I am proud of Tom Holland, I am proud of Marvel Studios and most of all, I'm thankful to Kevin Feige. Even after a second reboot, Spider-Man made freaking $51m at the box office in the opening day. All he has ever needed was people that understood what the character is all about, and I'm sure that Feige will keep paving the way moving forward.

Welcome home, Spidey. :spidey:

Big revelation regarding the Zendaya/Michelle final scene;

Kevin Feige: "“We never even looked at it as a big reveal necessarily but more of just a fun homage to his past adventures and his past love. She's not Mary-Jane Watson. She never was Mary-Jane Watson. She was always this new high school character, Michelle"

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/07/08/spider-man-homecomings-5-biggest-wtf-questions

I actually was suspicious of this when I saw the movie. It did have more of a teaser vibe than an actual reveal.
And maybe for better since the whole different name thing could have been done better. Still, she as an actress is for me such a missed opportunity for the role.

I enjoyed the film and the way they dealt with the teen aspect of Peters life is basically what they should have done with Power Rangers.

I enjoyed the film and the way they dealt with the teen aspect of Peters life is basically what they should have done with Power Rangers.

Well executed John Hughes homages don't grow on trees.

People often use the comic accuracy argument to justify their own prejudices. Unless the color of the character's skin is integral to the character, it doesn't matter. Flash Thompson was a ******** in the comics and he's a ******** here.

Uhhhhhh do I dare ask what the asteriks'd words are?

Has anyone else just taken a minute to think about the fact that, in a span of 15 years, we're on our third separate continuity of theatrical Spider-Man films? The first two of which never made it to the formation of the Sinister Six? Something else. Loved Homecoming, though. Great film.

To me this is the first Spider-man movie not to talk down to you and treat the material like disposable nonsense.

It brokedown the core of Spider-man's identity.

1) Teenager balancing monumental ambition and growing up

2) Working class kid who's talented beyond his humble beginnings yet stays true to his friends and family.

3) Gifted nerd who makes you proud of being a nerd in the best way

And the way the Vulture was used to perfectly mirror these traits in a complex way was brilliantly executed.

I'v been on the internet crying to the heavens how ALL the Spider-man movies were missing something.

I never expected Heaven Feige to answer so completely and so perfectly.

Congrats, true believers.

Whether you're a die hard SM2 fan or a hardcore SMH fan, it's safe to say every Spider-man fan on the planet has at least one Spider-man movie that speaks to their soul.

Excelsior!

Pretty much agreed with all of this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"