No Way Home Spider-Man No Way Home - Rate and Review Thread (Spoilers)

I was worried about this film because when I first read the plot leaks way back, it sounded horrible on paper. Seeing it in action was much, much better. It's not perfect of course, but it is extremely satisfying. I actually didn't find there to be much over the top humor, nor was it any cheesier than the Raimi films. It's about time the MCU Peter face some consequences for his actions, and this film finally brought him up to speed with what I consider the core of Spider-Man to be. Heck, this film almost feels like an origin story in that sense. I've never been extremely positive with MCU Spidey as I was shocked at how far Marvel themselves strayed from him feeling like the character I know/love/grew up with, but I guess that is a result of 2 sets of previous franchises. Hopefully this is a step in a better direction with college years/adult Spidey to come, but we will see.

8/10

I'm no fan of either Garfield movie and I like Tom Holland a lot. But this film really, really made me miss Garfield in the role. He's so good in it. It felt like seeing a buddy.

The movie brought me a ton of joy at several moments. From the get-go with the trailers, I felt the premise was wobbly as hell... but even the stuff I thought were weird choices, they do follow up on. Strange deciding to bend reality just to help this stupid kid. Aunt May telling him to help the villains just because. Peter challenging Strange's superior wisdom. In the end, a lot of it felt fairly well backed up by character traits or past events, imo. Seeing Garfield run towards Ned's portal gave me goosebumps. Seeing Tobey... that put a lump in my throat. People went crazy.

Best joke, for my money: "Are you gonna stay looking like a cool youth pastor or are you gonna suit up?"

Best of all, for me, was the ending. I had seriously started to dislike the Stark-enhanced Spider-Man, the nanotechnology transformations, etc. Seeing him do a final swing with as self-made costume -- back to basics while still retaining his Avengers adventures as a vital part of this new take on the character -- was pretty validating. Best of both worlds. 8.5/10 from me.

7/10

The rating would've been higher had the first hour been trimmed down or rewritten -- let's face it, the first 30 minutes felt like a sitcom. I could've done with less Homecoming/FFH high-school hijinks, since nobody cares about Flash Thompson. But Ned wasn't annoying at all here, which surprised me. And Jon Watts let more of Zendaya's charisma shine through.

But oh when it gets going, it is a fun ride. As a Raimi fan, I watched this solely for the returning actors and they did not disappoint. Andrew Garfield has shot WAY up in my appreciation for his Spider-man/Peter Parker -- he was given good material to work with and he dove in. His entrance with MJ and Ned is one of my favorite scenes in the film. But I appreciated how Tom's arc ended up at the film.

Is it wrong that I want Garfield back for TASM3 and Tobey back for a Raimi directed SM-4?

7/10

The rating would've been higher had the first hour been trimmed down or rewritten -- let's face it, the first 30 minutes felt like a sitcom. I could've done with less Homecoming/FFH high-school hijinks, since nobody cares about Flash Thompson. But Ned wasn't annoying at all here, which surprised me. And Jon Watts let more of Zendaya's charisma shine through.

But oh when it gets going, it is a fun ride. As a Raimi fan, I watched this solely for the returning actors and they did not disappoint. Andrew Garfield has shot WAY up in my appreciation for his Spider-man/Peter Parker -- he was given good material to work with and he dove in. His entrance with MJ and Ned is one of my favorite scenes in the film. But I appreciated how Tom's arc ended up at the film.

Is it wrong that I want Garfield back for TASM3 and Tobey back for a Raimi directed SM-4?

Pretty much my exact thoughts regarding the movie. I got it sitting at around a 7/10 as well. I found Ned just ….nauseating once again though. Ironically, I enjoyed my viewing more second time around. I had to grab the family some snacks and got on the line when Matt showed up. By the time I got back to me seat Strange had finishing casting his spell. By missing that chunk of the movie, it made my experience much more enjoyable.

I really think they could have scrapped a substantial portion of the beginning, specifically all the little kiddy Disney moments and focused more heavily on the very real fear of his identity being exposed. That’s one of my biggest issues with the movie. There is little to no consequence of his identity being exposed. No death threats, no random attacks on MJ or Aunt may in the streets…nothing. He’s allowed back into school? Where is the police/military presence In the school hallways? Maybe a bomb threat or something? Just give me something to really show how scary the world has become… Such a missed opportunity because there’s so much potential there to really raise the intensity of the film.

I mean, the catalyst for going to strange is …not getting accepted to College. You have a massive identity reveal….and not being accepted to a college was what pushed him to go see Dr. Strange. It sounds even more ridiculous as I’m typing this…

It really needs to be said: Garfield under Feige and Marvel Studios>>>>>>>>>> Garfield under just Sony. There's definitely potential there for another Garfield Spider-Man movie, but only if Feige and Marvel Studios are involved.

I was very hesitant going in, but man I came away with a huge smile on my face. Just amazing to see all 3 Spider-Mans and their best villains on screen. As much as I disliked Garfield’s movies, he was so likable here. Meguire’s charm is still there. I feel sorry for anyone that hasn’t seen any of the other versions of Spider-Man because this movie is that much better if you know all of their stories.
9/10

It really needs to be said: Garfield under Feige and Marvel Studios>>>>>>>>>> Garfield under just Sony. There's definitely potential there for another Garfield Spider-Man movie, but only if Feige and Marvel Studios are involved.

Honestly it makes feel bad for him that he got the short end of the stick when it comes to the creative side shown here that he can wreck it if given the material must of been eating at him thst his movies are not in the same league as Holland or Maguires. Hope he can enjoy the success of the movie he deserves it

After watching NWH few times I start to accept this movie more, but I also noticed what things botter me the most.

- Doc Ock, Molina is brillant, but they had one of the best villain in cbm history and made him a joke... Should I be suprised after the trailers that it happened? Nope, that's mcu, they build hype around this fight and ended it with Holland casually taking control over technology that comes from other universe... Ugh. But the worst thing is that Doc Ock was this cartoony overly angry grumpy old man, completely different person than smart, calm and intimidating Doc Ock from SM2.

doc-ock-spider-man2.gif

At least after he get "cured" he is more like Otto from the original movie.

- Dr Strange... He really act completely different than before. It's not something that I really cared about, but it's distracting.

- Too many overdone quips exchange that overshadow emotional moment.

- Electro, Sandman and Lizard... Lizard is useless. Sandman is lacking emotional depth from SM3, one line about his motivation isn't enough and I don't get how people can praise Electro... He literally does nothing for entirety of this film. He is the mostpowerfull villain, but he lost all his motivation from the last film, so he is just there being "charistmatic", talking about "energy" and float (not even flying) in the same place.

I wrote about things I didn't like, but I liked everything else so I change my rating to 7/10.

I still Remember the mail Kevin sent to Sony detailing everything wrong about ASM2. He's such a grasp on these characters I don't think anyone will be able to repeat.

After watching NWH few times I start to accept this movie more, but I also noticed what things botter me the most.

- Doc Ock, Molina is brillant, but they had one of the best villain in cbm history and made him a joke... Should I be suprised after the trailers that it happened? Nope, that's mcu, they build hype around this fight and ended it with Holland casually taking control over technology that comes from other universe... Ugh. But the worst thing is that Doc Ock was this cartoony overly angry grumpy old man, completely different person than smart, calm and intimidating Doc Ock from SM2.

doc-ock-spider-man2.gif

At least after he get "cured" he is more like Otto from the original movie.

- Dr Strange... He really act completely different than before. It's not something that I really cared about, but it's distracting.

- Too many overdone quips exchange that overshadow emotional moment.

- Electro, Sandman and Lizard... Lizard is useless. Sandman is lacking emotional depth from SM3, one line about his motivation isn't enough and I don't get how people can praise Electro... He literally does nothing for entirety of this film. He is the mostpowerfull villain, but he lost all his motivation from the last film, so he is just there being "charistmatic", talking about "energy" and float (not even flying) in the same place.

I wrote about things I didn't like, but I liked everything else so I change my rating to 7/10.

Yea Im at about the same score…. a 7.

Ive started to like it more after my multiple viewings and just accept most of my issues as just Disney being Disney. It is what it is.

The Electro complaint is something I don’t see a lot of people bringing up. They really wasted a chance with him in this movie. They keep bragging about his power but he never does anything at all compared to what we saw from him In ASM2. While most are praising him, I just feel they really wasted a chance cause you could have easily written him strong enough and visually stunning enough to carry an action sequence by himself.

I’m curious, what’s your take on the secret identity reveal for Peter? How do you think the story handled it?

While I can move past and tolerate certain issues…my biggest issue is the identity reveal for Peter which is supposed to be the main plot in the movie. I thought it was handled horribly. That was one aspect that they shouldn’t have put that Disney spin on. I just can’t get over how much potential was wasted by going the humor/silly route instead of really showing us how scary for Peter a world where everyone knows he’s Spider-Man really is. It’s probably the biggest disappointment for me because it was one of the story aspects I was most interested in going in to the movie.

I'm no fan of either Garfield movie and I like Tom Holland a lot. But this film really, really made me miss Garfield in the role. He's so good in it. It felt like seeing a buddy.

The movie brought me a ton of joy at several moments. From the get-go with the trailers, I felt the premise was wobbly as hell... but even the stuff I thought were weird choices, they do follow up on. Strange deciding to bend reality just to help this stupid kid. Aunt May telling him to help the villains just because. Peter challenging Strange's superior wisdom. In the end, a lot of it felt fairly well backed up by character traits or past events, imo. Seeing Garfield run towards Ned's portal gave me goosebumps. Seeing Tobey... that put a lump in my throat. People went crazy.

Best joke, for my money: "Are you gonna stay looking like a cool youth pastor or are you gonna suit up?"

Best of all, for me, was the ending. I had seriously started to dislike the Stark-enhanced Spider-Man, the nanotechnology transformations, etc. Seeing him do a final swing with as self-made costume -- back to basics while still retaining his Avengers adventures as a vital part of this new take on the character -- was pretty validating. Best of both worlds. 8.5/10 from me.

I think the characters acted the way they would have in a classic Marvel comic. Peter wants to help everyone because he learns it from the people he grew up with, while Stephen is all about the big picture and greater good because, let's face It, his responsabilities are far greater than Peter's. It's what they are at the core.

Ive started to like it more after my multiple viewings and just accept most of my issues as just Disney being Disney. It is what it is.

The Electro complaint is something I don’t see a lot of people bringing up. They really wasted a chance with him in this movie. They keep bragging about his power but he never does anything at all compared to what we saw from him In ASM2. While most are praising him, I just feel they really wasted a chance cause you could have easily written him strong enough and visually stunning enough to carry an action sequence by himself.

I’m curious, what’s your take on the secret identity reveal for Peter? How do you think the story handled it?

While I can move past and tolerate certain issues…my biggest issue is the identity reveal for Peter which is supposed to be the main plot in the movie. I thought it was handled horribly. That was one aspect that they shouldn’t have put that Disney spin on. I just can’t get over how much potential was wasted by going the humor/silly route instead of really showing us how scary for Peter a world where everyone knows he’s Spider-Man really is. It’s probably the biggest disappointment for me because it was one of the story aspects I was most interested in going in to the movie.

Yup, Electro in TASM2 felt like "main villain", he was pivotal for the plot. Here he could be removed and nothing would change. I can't believe that Jamie was more happy with this performance, because he did nothing interesing. The potential of his character and the visual side of his power was wasted.

He was 100% better in TASM2. Intimidating, dangerous and visually interesting.

0e1734095705f49b7e03403dc8d152937678ec09.gifv

tumblr_n5mtt5sMBW1roja8qo1_500.gifv

Identity reveal was just an excuse to get Strange and have multiverse storyline. I was fine with funny intro, because editing and song "Zimbra" made it really funny, but after that everything was still treated as a joke until Green Goblin get loose but this didn't have anything to do with consequences of his identity being revealed to public, it was all about Goblin being awesome xD

Now when i'm thinking about that, all live action movies (excluding Homecoming and FFH) showed a lot more relationship between people and Spider-Man than No Way Home.

considering going to see this a 3rd time at some point this week, but I'm not sure when.

Yup, Electro in TASM2 felt like "main villain", he was pivotal for the plot. Here he could be removed and nothing would change. I can't believe that Jamie was more happy with this performance, because he did nothing interesing. The potential of his character and the visual side of his power was wasted.

He was 100% better in TASM2. Intimidating, dangerous and visually interesting.

0e1734095705f49b7e03403dc8d152937678ec09.gifv

tumblr_n5mtt5sMBW1roja8qo1_500.gifv

Identity reveal was just an excuse to get Strange and have multiverse storyline. I was fine with funny intro, because editing and song "Zimbra" made it really funny, but after that everything was still treated as a joke until Green Goblin get loose but this didn't have anything to do with consequences of his identity being revealed to public, it was all about Goblin being awesome xD

Now when i'm thinking about that, all live action movies (excluding Homecoming and FFH) showed a lot more relationship between people and Spider-Man than No Way Home.

Yep.
I’ve warmed up to the film some after multiple viewings but that identity situation really bugs me. So much wasted potential to really amplify the level of fear in Peters world. There was almost no consequence in the opening portion of the movie for it other then his friends not making it into college. I was hoping for some death threats, attacks on his friends, mobs outside his house as he tried to sleep, finding ways to make life miserable for his family. I really wanted them to go the route of really make life horrifying for him as his worst nightmare came to fruition. That would have made the choice to go to Strange much more meaningful.

Hell even him going back to school was treated as a joke. Would have been great to see a police/military presence monitoring him and following him through the halls…instead of more lame dialogue between him and teachers.

Again, I’m warming up to the film and tolerating some of the flaws but damn…Im just so bummed that this aspect of the story couldn’t have been handled better.

I'm taking my friend to see a small 3D showing today. He didn't want to go to an IMAX screening with a lot of people present.
Nice! I'm trying to get my brother to go which is partially why I haven't gone to a 3rd showing yet. Problem is that he's never seen any of the Holland movies and only one of the garfield movies. He has seen the Raimi flicks though.

I was honestly worried about this film like many others were, but, after seeing it, it just got all the moments I wanted. I couldn’t be happier with it. I could nitpick it, but the fact that I am sitting and contemplating how to see it again so soon says a lot to it’s credit. I give it a solid 10/10. Just for the last swing alone…

It's a Sony release. Disney's name isn't even in the credits. Blame Sony.

I would see it again but there's a circuit breaker lockdown likely coming in the UK so it's unlikely.

Nice! I'm trying to get my brother to go which is partially why I haven't gone to a 3rd showing yet. Problem is that he's never seen any of the Holland movies and only one of the garfield movies. He has seen the Raimi flicks though.

My friend enjoyed it, had the same issues I had with the first hour. But he loved the interplay between the three Peters, loved how Tobey helped spare Norman and appreciates Garfield more.

I give it a solid 10/10. Just for the last swing alone…

I found that last swing kinda empty TBH, compared to say Spider-Man 1, TASM, or TASM2.

I think we needed a final line from Peter beforehand that really highlights Peter moving forward, starting a new chapter.

I found that last swing kinda empty TBH, compared to say Spider-Man 1, TASM, or TASM2.

I think we needed a final line from Peter beforehand that really highlights Peter moving forward, starting a new chapter.

That and the suit in the snow looked fake and like a cheap video-game cutscene. Would love some clear shots of the suit to make a final opinion.

Goes to show how important the material and surrounding cast are for these actors and characters they inhabit. Andrew in this really made me want more of him and its interesting seeing different personalities of the same character in a movie like this and how they all played off each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"