Homecoming Spider-Man: Homecoming User Reviews Thread *SPOILERS*

Re: the TASM Peter vs SMH Peter, I think arguments are being taken too far to the extreme for the sake of the point at hand. I did strongly dislike both TASM films and TASM Pete's instances of stealing the ID and undoing his promise in the closing moments of the first film are certainly eyebrow-raising.

But regarding his handling of Flash and the car robber, I think excessive moralizing just gets in the way of appreciating drama and character dynamics. Flash was not a hands-off *****e who at least deserved respect. He was an aggressive a-hole who had bullied Peter mercilessly, face-punching included. Peter toys with him without ever stooping that low himself, but opting to apply some well-deserved humiliation. It's not necessarily commendable, but it IS relatable, which trumps it. It's hubris at play, and it's right at home in a Spidey origin story. You skimp on that, you miss the point of the story and opportunities for characterization and set-up. Under the guideline of that being horribly *****y, moments like these moment would be just as. I compare it to the Man of Steel handling of the truck driver, where Clark can't even bring himself to confront the guy on a personal non-superpowered level and chooses instead to eff up his truck when he's not looking. TASM Peter chooses to confront his bully one-on-one through psychology and personality, and the effect is better.

As for the car thief, it's lesson-teaching. I know my life would be ruined if I had my car stolen, so my level of empathy there ain't high. Peter's on a power trip. Which, again, is also Spider-Man-origin meat and potatoes. It's not supposed to be commendable, and it does help set up what's supposed to be a meaningful moment later on.

SMH Peter is a good boy. He's already sensible. He's way past his "Uncle Ben/not stopping the crook" learning curve. The two Peters are not operating in the same context, so why peg each as the "right" and "wrong" interpretation so resolutely. Both evoke stages seen in the comics, and the fact that those can be so far apart just reflects the inherent richness of the Spidey characterization.

I really liked Homecoming, btw.

Preach Nesmeres! When people criticize Garfield's Peter for being too *****y, I often feel as though they miss the point of the origin. The idea behind Peter's origin is that he acts like an irresponsible jerk when he first gets his powers (Peter often monologues to himself like a super villain in that original origin by Lee and Ditko). Ben's death, and the guilt he feels over that, is what gives Peter his moment of clarity. Peter realizes how his powers have made him go completely ego crazy, and he comes to terms with the responsibility his powers give him to help others.
Garfield's Peter didn't have that moment of clarity until he saved the small boy on the bridge. That is the moment where he truly became Spider-Man as we know him, the protector of the innocent. So his *****ey behavior beforehand is not only intentional, but instrumental in the responsibility lesson being learned.

Re: the TASM Peter vs SMH Peter, I think arguments are being taken too far to the extreme for the sake of the point at hand. I did strongly dislike both TASM films and TASM Pete's instances of stealing the ID and undoing his promise in the closing moments of the first film are certainly eyebrow-raising.
The odd thing is, he promised to do something he was doing before (pushing Gwen away from the Lizard in school, and telling her to leave Oscorp when he was going there) and kept her out of this, he didn't break that promise.

But regarding his handling of Flash and the car robber, I think excessive moralizing just gets in the way of appreciating drama and character dynamics. Flash was not a hands-off *****e who at least deserved respect.
Under different circumstances, I wouldn't pick this scene apart as much as I am currently doing.

Under different circumstances, I wouldn't pick this scene apart as much as I am currently doing.
There's nothing to pick apart. Argument that Parker damaged property in attempt to stop criminals is absurd.

Maybe there could have been a scene where Spidey helps to repair the property damage that he caused. He can't pay for it, that's for sure, lol.

I like to take it that way, though I have big reservations [blackout]considering what I saw from Infinity War teaser of him having the second Stark built suit on and is down on the ground, unmasked.[/blackout]

I have a feeling that he is going to be reluctant at first.
But then Stark will argue that the world is ending and Spidey has no choice but to join. I hope that May is involved in that discussion.

Last edited:
There's nothing to pick apart. Argument that Parker damaged property in attempt to stop criminals is absurd.
There are plenty to pick apart. It's not silly when the damage done or caused by the protagonist is multiple times more than the antagonist and crew/gang.

I was wondering when we'd see your return to this place.
And no, he's not spot on.

There are plenty to pick apart. It's not silly when the damage done or caused by the protagonist is multiple times more than the antagonist and crew/gang.
Yet another silly argument: if there's no imminent danger from criminals, it means there's no reason to stop them if some property can be damaged in the process.

Yet another silly argument: if there's no imminent danger from criminals, it means there's no reason to stop them if some property can be damaged in the process.
Not silly, not with this movie.
One time he endangered civilians, another time he caused property damage that could have been easily avoided, without avoiding the capture of the Vulture.

Not silly, not with this movie.
One time he endangered civilians, another time he caused property damage that could have been easily avoided, without avoiding the capture of the Vulture.
You're talking things out of context. It was an ordinary bank robbery until it wasn't. Putting the blame on Spider-Man is absurd.

In case of the ferry scene (and the van chase too), the movie doesn't pat Parker on the back for that. He realizes he was wrong. It's like you completely ignore the reasons why Parker does what he does and context of events, and talk only the consequences.

You're talking things out of context. It was an ordinary bank robbery until it wasn't. Putting the blame on Spider-Man is absurd.

In case of the ferry scene (and the van chase too), the movie doesn't pat Parker on the back for that. He realizes he was wrong. It's like you completely ignore the reasons why Parker does what he does and context of events, and talk only the consequences.
I'm not talking about the bank, I rechecked it so I didn't think of it in my previous post.

With the ferry and the van he didn't feel bad because he made mistakes, he felt bad he was scolded and the suit was taken from him after the ferry scene. He got a pat on the back after destroying the aircraft and placing all the cargo in an open space, but he got a pat on the back for stopping the Vulture in that hour.

Another complaint I have with the ferry bit is he webbed the weapon on deck after knowing that these crystals are ticking time bombs. Speaking of crystals and their rules of combustion: Why did this stuff never blow up during the Avengers battle? And no incidents were heard of it between that time 8 years ago and now? Hydra had their hands on some of it and probably experimented on the stuff, there was no talk about things blowing up by exposure to radiation.

With the ferry and the van he didn't feel bad because he made mistakes, he felt bad he was scolded and the suit was taken from him after the ferry scene.

The first thing that he asked from Tony was if everybody was safe and he looked pretty remourseful then.

(Sorry, I believe I broke English a little bit there.)

With the ferry and the van he didn't feel bad because he made mistakes, he felt bad he was scolded and the suit was taken from him after the ferry scene. He got a pat on the back after destroying the aircraft and placing all the cargo in an open space, but he got a pat on the back for stopping the Vulture in that hour.

In case of the van chase, he didn't endanger people either. He just damaged some property while trying to catch the criminals. And then he was warned by Stark not to get involved further. Considering Stark's attitude, it makes sense that Parker ignores him.

Overconfidence is a part of Parker's arc in a sense that it came with him thinking that he's "basically" an avenger. Means he can and should do much greater and dangerous things than he did prior to meeting TS. And the suit was a symbol of that. Being an avenger replaced "friendly neighborhood Spider-Man". Stripped of the suit, Parker decides to abandon crime fighting entirely, feeling that's he's messed up things and is unworthy. Thus going from overconfident to complete lack of confidence in his powers.

Later he sees how dangerous Toomes is and he decides to take him down. While the movie doesn't explicitly states that, but I believe he gets back to the core. "When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen - they happen because of you." Under the rubble he sees the reflection - his true self. "Friendly neighborhood" Spider-Man - half his face, half the mask of the old suit. Perhaps it reminded him of why he started to do this in the first place. It's not a status or reputation, it's responsibility. It gives him strength and he's able to free himself. When he decilnes Stark's offer, he basically returns to where he was prior to Civil War.

Well, at least that's how I got. I have my own share of problems with the film, I don't think it's perfect. Mostly execution... Other technical stuff. But Peter Parker's character is really nice. He's a good kid, who tries to do the best.

I am trying to create an accurate Marvel Cinematic Universe power Tier list, and thought the best way to get standings would be to get a general consensus, and the best way to do this is to create vs. matches, allow the hype forum a week to debate and vote and then use these results to place them on the tier list. I know this process will take a while, but it seems to me like it would make it the most accurate possible and be a lot of fun to be involved with. So, if you want to vote on the first battle or get into a debate on why you think a specific character should win leave a comment and who knows you might influnce others. Please keep in mind though these are the MCU versions and not their comic book versions I am asking you to vote for. Also, please don't select a character to win just because you might like them more if you feel they would lose.

Sorry to interrupt the this thread, but just want to spread the word so I get a good amount of people participating hopefully. Link below.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535035

Surfer

I finally saw the film and I have to say I think its overrated. Ive heard it described as the best MCU film and it isnt even my favorite Spider-Man film. That still is ASM. I found Peter to be annoying. I am not a fan of teenage Parker and hate how they keep going back to that although I understand why it was done here. My favorite incarnation is college aged Peter which we wont get for a while

I give this a 7

Just finished watching it for the first time on blu ray at home. Overall a 'solid' Spider-man film, some great sequences in it, but not a 'great' film. A good film, a '7'. I enjoyed it and have seen some of the reviews indicating the influences taken, John Hughes films, Breakfast Club in particular, Holland taking inspiration from Michael J Fox in his portrayal of Peter, (definitely a Teen Wolf vibe to it all).

Still much prefer Raimi's films, but certainly it's amongst, for me, the best of the MCU films.

Last edited:
Finally watched the movie and was pleasantly surprised. I would rate it at an 8 out of 10.
I really liked it but it misses out on my personal MCU Top 5... still it is definitely one of the better Marvel movies.

I've watched it about four times now...it's an entertaining film, but by - understandably - avoiding elements from the previous five films, it handicaps itself. For instance, it avoids lengthy web-swinging scenes and gets away from the skyscraper backdrops. Again, understandable, but they are essential parts of the Spidey mythos.

Homecoming is just too lightweight. There's a lack of drama until the final act, and Peter doesn't really have the kind of angst and guilt that the character is all about. Spidey himself actually looks like he would float off with the breeze.

The sequel needs more weight and more drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"