Square Enix's Avengers

I’m sure the thought of charging for the suit would never even cross their minds. :dry:

To think how excited I was when this game was announced. :csad:

They've been releasing all kinds of images of outfits for Spider-Man, all of which have been based on a comic look. Which is cool, but it's annoying that they're doing this for an add on character that's an exclusive, and the costume selection for the countless other base characters are mostly garbage repaints.

I know outside of Iron Man, a lot of them don't have hundreds of different costumes to draw from like Spider-Man, but I mean come on.

They've been releasing all kinds of images of outfits for Spider-Man, all of which have been based on a comic look. Which is cool, but it's annoying that they're doing this for an add on character that's an exclusive, and the costume selection for the countless other base characters are mostly garbage repaints.

I know outside of Iron Man, a lot of them don't have hundreds of different costumes to draw from like Spider-Man, but I mean come on.
The thing is, they do. There are so many different looks for Cap, Thor, Hawkeye, etc. The thing is, a lot of them would take work, so they can't really do them quick, dirty and cheap. Which is what the higher ups want.

Some of that swinging animation looks like they just ripped it directly from the Insomniac game.

Some of that swinging animation looks like they just ripped it directly from the Insomniac game.
Same goes for some of those takedown animations, which are probably the only good things that came out of that video.

Looks just as disappointing and awful as I was expecting. Everything looks so clunky. This team's ability to make one of the most exciting Marvel characters underwhelming is a feat.

God, how much dev time was chewed up by this stiff, awkward looking character that only some of the audience gets to even play? Such a bad move.

I know it's been said countless times but it really was a dick move for Sony to keep Spider-Man a Playstation exclusive for this. Xbox owners should be suffering along with us. :o

I wouldn't have cared about the exclusive thing if it was ready at launch, like most console pre-order exclusives. But how much of their time over the last year has eaten this up, when they had a critical window to work on player feedback to try and turn Avengers around.

The thing is, there IS a good game in there. I remember seeing plenty of excellent articles highlighting specific things that could totally turn the endgame experience around but they have well and truly missed the window on those things. If they had No Man Sky'd this game just before it was released on Game Pass, that could've been a major adrenaline shot.

So without any story, I assume any interactions with the Avengers (surely the main selling point of bringing Spider-Man into an Avengers game) are going to be limited, and the appeal of Spider-Man being in this game is mostly his combat (which looks really bad)... soooooo... good job Chrystal Dynamics? I... guess?

I feel so bad for CD, because this likely would've been a deal inked with Sony very early in the development process.

So imagine working on this DLC, post launch, and knowing in the pit of your stomach that there's like a million other things you should be working on to improve your game.

Some of the costumes seem pretty nice which is surprising considering a lot of their aesthetic choices in the base game just sucked. Just a shame they were wasted on such a poor game.

I would love to live in an alternate universe where Insomniac got to make an Avengers game.

Eh, while they probably would do a better job than Square-Enix, I doubt they could really solve the core problem: the Avengers are a team whose members have *widely* varying powers and power scales. You just aren't going to be able to build a single engine that can handle and portray Cap, Iron Man, and Thor at the same time and equally well, not unless you abandon trying to be a "literal" action-adventure game entirely and go for something highly abstracted.

I'm sure Insomniac could make a great "Cap Simulator" or "Iron Man Simulator" in the style of their existing Spider-Man Simulator. They aren't going to be able to do them all at once.

Eh, while they probably would do a better job than Square-Enix, I doubt they could really solve the core problem: the Avengers are a team whose members have *widely* varying powers and power scales. You just aren't going to be able to build a single engine that can handle and portray Cap, Iron Man, and Thor at the same time and equally well, not unless you abandon trying to be a "literal" action-adventure game entirely and go for something highly abstracted.

I'm sure Insomniac could make a great "Cap Simulator" or "Iron Man Simulator" in the style of their existing Spider-Man Simulator. They aren't going to be able to do them all at once.

The thing is, it shouldn't be an "Iron Man Simulator" or a "Captain America Simulator". An Avengers game needs to be an "Avengers Simulator".

I kind of think that if you are focusing on trying to do the characters as individuals "equally well", you are taking the wrong approach, because its not possible to do them all equally well as individuals when you have an entire team of heroes who could carry their own solo game.

So maybe the focus should be on teamwork and character interactions. Try to capture what people love about the Avengers movies and the Avengers comics, instead of "we have to make both an Iron Man Simulator AND a Captain America Simulator and AND a Thor Simulator and X Character Simulator" etc, at the same time.

:lmao:

Why even include Spider-Man at all then?
Because Spidey sells. And probably when they said yes to this, they thought they'd have actual content for this game on a the regular. Not once every six months. :funny:

When are people going to ask for the Raimi suit in the game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"