Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

I've never particularly liked Picard. The only decent episodes to me were the pilot and the Riker/Troi reunion. The rest is basically garbage, and somehow this season was even worse than the first.

Not only does the show suffer from the usual streaming bloat, but it's trying to be grim-dark and edgy which to me does not belong in a Star Trek show. DS9 managed to be both adult and hopeful, but Picard's showrunner's apparently didn't get that memo. The writer's don't capture the feel of the characters, either; the returning cast don't feel like their old selves (Picard's too mealymouthed, Seven's basically unrecognizable), and the new one's feel too anachronistically 21st century. There's a cadence and almost academic quality to Trek dialogue that is missing here, and having everyone swear constantly doesn't help.

Frankly the writing's just bad, and if it wasn't Trek I wouldn't even bother watching (I already gave up on Discovery back in season 2. I honestly don't understand what the point of the show is, or what it's adding to the overall canon. The only bright spot this season has been Q, but he's barely in what I've seen so far (episode 5 or 6, I think).

I like Picard but it is definitely not TNG or even really Star Trek anymore. It is a parallel universe where it almost feels and looks like Star Trek and has everything going for it to be that but it falls short.

Strange New Worlds definitely looks more like the traditional Star Trek people are looking for.

In taking advantage of the buzz surrounding Strange New Worlds, check out this piece concerning a virtual reality simulation involving the surviving cast and crew of The Cage.

Ok, show is out today. Forgot to put spoiler tag, corrected.
It is not starting off well. I like the mentor, chipper Pike. Not the mopey I know my own death Pike. I will give it a few episodes to resolve this, if not it might turn into another gloomy show. First impressions of Chapel are not good. Also you don't have to make Spock look dumb to make your other character seem smart. I am referring to the La'an scene on the bridge. Also the La'an scene when she tells Pike and Spock what to do on the planet. She even tells Spock to use the nerve pinch. I am already seeing a pattern between the characters and it is not looking good. The ship models are still bad. They look like aluminum cans.

I'd like to end on a positive note. I did like the speech in the town hall, that was star trek. Hopefulness it what I gleamed from that scene. I don't really know what was happening after that scene, it looked like the aliens were reverse engineering the enterprise. So now they will become a threat to other planets. This could set up something in the future.

Love the show so far.

I'm a bit confused about all the continuity, but it feels like classic Trek.

I think the cast is great. Everyone feels unique, quirky, and fun.

Hemmer is my favorite new character. Looks cinematic with good production values. We get a nice sense of scale of the Enterprise's size.

Ok, show is out today. Forgot to put spoiler tag, corrected.
It is not starting off well. I like the mentor, chipper Pike. Not the mopey I know my own death Pike. I will give it a few episodes to resolve this, if not it might turn into another gloomy show. First impressions of Chapel are not good. Also you don't have to make Spock look dumb to make your other character seem smart. I am referring to the La'an scene on the bridge. Also the La'an scene when she tells Pike and Spock what to do on the planet. She even tells Spock to use the nerve pinch. I am already seeing a pattern between the characters and it is not looking good. The ship models are still bad. They look like aluminum cans.

I'd like to end on a positive note. I did like the speech in the town hall, that was star trek. Hopefulness it what I gleamed from that scene. I don't really know what was happening after that scene, it looked like the aliens were reverse engineering the enterprise. So now they will become a threat to other planets. This could set up something in the future.

Oof :(

I like that Pike is dealing with doubt. He had a moment like this in the unaired pilot, where you feel the weight of what being the captain means to him. It makes him feel more human.

I like Chapel.

To me what happened at the end of the first episode was the aliens were inspired by the Enterprise and wanted to join the Federation and fly to the stars with them. It was a positive hopeful message. We can travel the stars. They were receiving a positive inspiration, or at least I hope they were.

Love the show so far.

I'm a bit confused about all the continuity, but it feels like classic Trek.

I think the cast is great. Everyone feels unique, quirky, and fun.

Hemmer is my favorite new character. Looks cinematic with good production values. We get a nice sense of scale of the Enterprise's size.
This map shows the timelines.

EqMsdU0XMAACy7G.jpg

This map shows the timelines.

View attachment 55457

Here's my problem. If this is indeed the middle YELLOW original series timeline, it makes no sense to me what's happening in the first five episodes if that's the case. Too many contradictions to what happens in The Original Series. There's no way they can maintain a strict continuity at this point. It's folly.

Here's my problem. If this is indeed the middle YELLOW original series timeline, it makes no sense to me what's happening in the first five episodes if that's the case. Too many contradictions to what happens in The Original Series. There's no way they can maintain a strict continuity at this point. It's folly.
What is happening in the first 5 episodes? Where did you see this? Anyway they already changed Spock and T'pring's story. They were already betrothed at age 7 in TOS. Well Spock says less than a marriage and more than a betrothal. Also I thought they didn't see each other since they were kids. In TOS Spock is looking at a child photo of T'pring. But from this episode it makes that real creepy.

What is happening in the first 5 episodes? Where did you see this? Anyway they already changed Spock and T'pring's story. They were already betrothed at age 7 in TOS. Well Spock says less than a marriage and more than a betrothal. Also I thought they didn't see each other since they were kids. In TOS Spock is looking at a child photo of T'pring. But from this episode it makes that real creepy.

I watched them.

Watched the first episode earlier and it was pretty solid IMO. I've never really watched any of the older Star Trek shows, but from what I've seen from the movies this show definitely feels the closest to that era of Star Trek which is very refreshing in comparison to the bleakness of the other current shows.

I'm really liking the cast too and Anson Mount was born to lead a show a like this. I was already a fan of his Christopher Pike from what we got in Discovery and I'm glad its still consistent with that version.

Rebecca Romijn I find to be really strong here. I really like her poise and confidence as the first officer.

I think that's sort of what I like about the show so far. The cast all feel very natural and their chemistry is all very good together. Nothing I've watched has made me shake my head in confusion or been like "What the hell?" or "WTF?"

The story so far, modern Star Trek sucks. Picard and Discovery **** all over previous, and much better iterations of Star Trek, they're garbage and a giant " **** you !" to longtime fans. No wonder their viewer numbers are nearly as low as Batwoman's

But..... Strange New Worlds, wasn't that bad. Anson Mount' s charisma carries the show, but the other actors around him are capable too.

The Spock stuff
like his wife, is total nonsense and totally inconsistent with the classic character, it's bad
also
introducing Kirk's brother to Spock is a massive break from Canon. How would they never mention that in 40+ years of continuity? It's worse than Burnham being Spock's super secret sister whose better at everything. Yeah, **** you Discovery!

My only other complaint was the Christine Chapel running around stuff, that was too much like JJ Abrams running around nonsense Trek.

But once you get past that, it's okay.

Watched the first episode earlier and it was pretty solid IMO. I've never really watched any of the older Star Trek shows, but from what I've seen from the movies this show definitely feels the closest to that era of Star Trek which is very refreshing in comparison to the bleakness of the other current shows.

I'm really liking the cast too and Anson Mount was born to lead a show a like this. I was already a fan of his Christopher Pike from what we got in Discovery and I'm glad its still consistent with that version.
It is never too late to watch The original series. The stunt doubles in fight scenes are just funny to watch, but the stories are still good.

Jess-Bush-Feet-6441243.jpg

Jess-Bush-Feet-6441245.jpg

I noticed something looked different from the forums today....and low and behold...Star Trek went and moved up in the SHH world!

I loved the first episode, it was a BREATH OF FRESH AIR. It felt more prequelly to the OG series and I already feel like I know more about this crew than I do the Disco crew. This feels like a team.

I noticed something looked different from the forums today....and low and behold...Star Trek went and moved up in the SHH world!

I loved the first episode, it was a BREATH OF FRESH AIR. It felt more prequelly to the OG series and I already feel like I know more about this crew than I do the Disco crew. This feels like a team.

The ensemble focus is much stronger in the first five episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"