Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

Before the days of space tourism, virtually every astronaut/cosmonaut had an engineering or doctorate degree. I.e., they’d qualify as commissioned “officers” in any quasi-military organization. (Indeed, many were officers from previous military careers.) So you’d think the same would be true of Star Fleet. Personnel would be cream-of-the-crop, best-of-the-best: highly trained and with advanced education and expertise. And yet, there is an “enlisted” class. Of course, Star Trek envisions large space ships that resemble aircraft carriers or submarines. And on those, someone needs to mop the floors, refill the coffee maker and unplug the toilets. Likewise, Star Fleet starships…? :cwink:

As I recall, Miles O’Brien was (in)famous for going back and forth between enlisted and officer ranks.

I mean, those don't have to be incompatible. The "enlisted" class of ship's crew in Starfleet can simply be established as *also* consisting of remarkably skilled and trained individuals, because just to make the cut as a midshipman on a Starfleet vessel, you need to be the kind of person who is an auto-didact. Enlisted crew are top 1% of the populace, whereas the officers are the top 1% of the enlisted, something like that. I mean, the Federation is supposed to be some kind of advanced post-scarcity utopia filled with mad scientists, I am perfectly willing to buy that for them "a reasonably talented but directionless individual who just enlists with Starfleet for a tour to see the galaxy" would be for us "that dude who self-taught himself an engineering degree, started a business, then sold it to retire at 30 and take up mountain climbing". The issue is more that the creatives didn't have a coherent plan for how to portray such, or so it seemed.

I can't tell if you are joking either. Actually it's around 2250 something or 2260. The minishirt thing is a joke, look at the uniforms they are miniskirts still. Except now they have tights or pants on underneath I can't tell from the picture.

View attachment 54812

They are ditching the miniskirts because the original series was made in the 1960s and this show is being made in the 2020s.

They are ditching the miniskirts because the original series was made in the 1960s and this show is being made in the 2020s.
they didn't ditch the miniskirt concept completely, look at Uhura and Number one's costume. It is the miniskirt adapted to be more functional when running or falling down. It still pays homage to the original female garb. Did you see the picture I posted? I will try to post the full image instead of the thumbnail it might have been cut off or something.snw-unis-group-shot-1280x960.jpg

Not really meeting the criteria of what I would call a skirt. She also appears to be wearing pants now too.

Well… Number One was in “The Cage.” So it’s not really surprising that she would be featured — along with Pike and Spock — in the pre-Kirk adventures of Enterprise. The presence of Uhura and Chapel, however, does stretch canon a bit.
If I remember right, Nurse Chapel only appeared when Kirk's enterprise went to investigate a signal they got from the planet that her fiancee disappeared on. She came along to see if he was still alive. Then afterwards she decided to stay on.

Not really meeting the criteria of what I would call a skirt. She also appears to be wearing pants now too.

That is why I say homage. So imagine if they had on stockings instead of the tights or pants. Here is a quick edit to the uniform, I just lightened the color of the legs. Can you see the skirt now? If not now then you never will.
SNW miniskirt.png

That is why I say homage...

Also: It appears to be a compromise between a modern sensibility (a less sexy/sexist uniform) and maintaining “visual continuity” with TOS/1960s era miniskirts. Or something. :shrug:

Also: It appears to be a compromise between a modern sensibility (a less sexy/sexist uniform) and maintaining “visual continuity” with TOS/1960s era miniskirts. Or something. :shrug:
I can live with that.

I hope Uhura gets a hairstyle like Nichelle Nichols had in the original series so that she looks more like that eventually. At the moment she looks like a different character.

I hope Uhura gets a hairstyle like Nichelle Nichols had in the original series so that she looks more like that eventually. At the moment she looks like a different character.
It's Early.
This isn't Lieutenant Uhura.
Not Yet.
She is just getting started.

When Spock had facial hair in Discovery, I'd imagine how his Mirror counterpart rose through the ranks of the Terran Empire. I'd love to see a Mirror episode on how Mirror Spock became 1st officer of the ISS Enterprise.

I saw a SNW's TV spot tonight on CBS that showed what appeared to be
Georgiou
wearing a yellow officer's shirt and shooting a phaser. Is she in this?

It's not about what we want, but the era they chose to set the show in. But yeah it doesn't matter, the updated bridge is nicer. I just want good star trek stories, judging by the team involved in this though I am not sure we will get that. Fool me once with discovery, fool me twice with Picard. I guess I am a glutton for punishment because I am hopeful for this one. Though the trailers are not promising.

The obvious answer is a resounding YES!

no-noooo.gif

It's not about what we want, but the era they chose to set the show in. But yeah it doesn't matter, the updated bridge is nicer. I just want good star trek stories, judging by the team involved in this though I am not sure we will get that. Fool me once with discovery, fool me twice with Picard. I guess I am a glutton for punishment because I am hopeful for this one. Though the trailers are not promising.

All this but I actually really like the trailer for this. Bright and fun! And episodic is music to my ears after getting lost in the drudgery of plot with all these series’s’s lol

I think some allowances have to be made when doing a continuation of 60s scifi show in 2022. You have to imagine that the TOS bridge would have looked like the SNW bridge if the TOS show had the budget and tech to make it possible. When Gene made that bridge you have to imagine that in his mind it had all sorts of tech and capabilities like the SNW bridge, but Gene just didn't have the budget to show it on screen.

I think some allowances have to be made when doing a continuation of 60s scifi show in 2022.

Back in the late 1990s, the original Star Trek got kudos for correctly anticipating the “flip phone” design for “communicators.” Alas, the “flip” was short-lived. :cool: And they did not anticipate the smart phone. Even during Enterprise (2001-2005), a camera used on a typical away mission was a separate piece of equipment. Likewise, the tricorder.

Still, the older shows tried their best to be “futuristic.” And, as you say, these newer ones kinda have to split the difference between continuity (be it tech or women’s fashions) and the expectations of the 2022 audience.

Back in the late 1990s, the original Star Trek got kudos for correctly anticipating the “flip phone” design for “communicators.” Alas, the “flip” was short-lived. :cool: And they did not anticipate the smart phone. Even during Enterprise (2001-2005), a camera used on a typical away mission was a separate piece of equipment. Likewise, the tricorder.

Still, the older shows tried their best to be “futuristic.” And, as you say, these newer ones kinda have to split the difference between continuity (be it tech or women’s fashions) and the expectations of the 2022 audience.

And TNG had computer tablets 2 decades before Apple made them a reality.

I think some allowances have to be made when doing a continuation of 60s scifi show in 2022. You have to imagine that the TOS bridge would have looked like the SNW bridge if the TOS show had the budget and tech to make it possible. When Gene made that bridge you have to imagine that in his mind it had all sorts of tech and capabilities like the SNW bridge, but Gene just didn't have the budget to show it on screen.
I am ok with this. My only concern now is waiting to see how these people interact with each other. The way Spock and Kirk would interact with each other. Also how Spock and Bones would rib each other is what made the show fun. Spock would say some funny things when he got annoyed. He also would have a quick comeback when someone would insult him for being too Vulcan. He always pointed out how illogical humans were if they made fun of him. It was a nice back and forth he would have with various crewman.
The way Spock will interact with the crew is what I am looking forward to. I hope it isn't a complete 180 from what we have seen. This character is iconic, they really have got their work cut out for them. I hope it doesn't fall flat.

The theme sounds a bit fan produced. Something a bit amateurish about it like someone who made a fan video and created their own track for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"