Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

I wonder if we're going to find out the fates of Dr. Boyce, JoseTyler, and Yeoman Colt.

I was only talking about Discovery. And yes Strange New Worlds is still in the TOS era. In season 2 of Discovery Spock and Burnham go to Talos IV and Vina ask them if Pike is going to show up as well. So the Pike we see in Discovery has already been through the cage episode.

So Season 2 of Discovery when that happens occurs after what's depicted in this show?

So Season 2 of Discovery when that happens occurs after what's depicted in this show?
Just from what I have read Strange New Worlds is set after Season 2 of Discovery. At this point in time Discovery is gone, they traveled to the future. So Strange New Worlds is free to do what they want But Season 2 of STD ends with what looks it could be the start of this show.

New character posters:

snw-charposter-04.jpg
snw-charposter-01.jpg

snw-charposter-03.jpg

snw-charposter-02.jpg

snw-charposter-06.jpg

snw-charposter-09.jpg

snw-charposter-05.jpg

snw-charposter-07.jpg

snw-charposter-08.jpg

They all look quite retro sixties sci-fi, but I like Number One's and Nurse Chapel's the most.

Very cool. Also, it’s great to see Rebecca Romijn again. I feel like she was the only person who came out of the Golden Age of Supermodels who actually turned out to be a good actor. Looking forward to seeing how she does in this.

Very cool. Also, it’s great to see Rebecca Romijn again. I feel like she was the only person who came out of the Golden Age of Supermodels who actually turned out to be a good actor. Looking forward to seeing how she does in this.

Apparently Jess Bush (Nurse Chapel) was one of Australia's Top Models too, although obviously not having the same status as Rebecca Romijn.

I'm hoping we don't get any socially awkward Tilly/ Jurati type character in this. That type of character is annoying and they've already exhausted it in Discovery and Star Trek: Picard.

Also why are there no Yeomans anymore in this era of Star Trek? They can't ignore that there were in the original series, because we clearly had the likes of Yeoman Rand and all the others who existed. And there were Yeomans during Pike's time too.

I also noticed that if you changed one letter you'd get Chris Pine instead of Chris Pike.

Also why are there no Yeomans anymore in this era of Star Trek? They can't ignore that there were in the original series, because we clearly had the likes of Yeoman Rand and all the others who existed. And there were Yeomans during Pike's time too.
They don't want to show women as assistant I guess. Also what happened to the miniskirts?

They don't want to show women as assistant I guess. Also what happened to the miniskirts?

I hope they bring back the mini skirts. They were an iconic look. Although during the Pike era and in the first pilot with Kirk the women wore pants, so the mini skirts only came after that.

Are there not male Yeomans that exist in the navy? There will always be a need for administrative work in any organisation.

I mean, the skirts are there. The main difference is they have tights, not nylons, so it isn't as revealing.

I mean, the skirts are there. The main difference is they have tights, not nylons, so it isn't as revealing.

I didn't think they were skirts but long tunics a bit like Picard's dress uniform which was a bit longer.

I think its a side effect of TNG. . . mostly forgetting that non-officer crew existed.

Since this is the original Prime Universe, we will have to see what characters from the original series served under Pike and/or Kirk.

Since this is the original Prime Universe, we will have to see what characters from the original series served under Pike and/or Kirk.
I think it will mostly be Pike, we know very little about what he was up to so it leaves more room for storytelling. Kirk we know where and when he served, so it hinders storytelling more so but not definitely. I am hoping to follow Pike since his stories are more open. We can see new things.

I think its a side effect of TNG. . . mostly forgetting that non-officer crew existed.
Before the days of space tourism, virtually every astronaut/cosmonaut had an engineering or doctorate degree. I.e., they’d qualify as commissioned “officers” in any quasi-military organization. (Indeed, many were officers from previous military careers.) So you’d think the same would be true of Star Fleet. Personnel would be cream-of-the-crop, best-of-the-best: highly trained and with advanced education and expertise. And yet, there is an “enlisted” class. Of course, Star Trek envisions large space ships that resemble aircraft carriers or submarines. And on those, someone needs to mop the floors, refill the coffee maker and unplug the toilets. Likewise, Star Fleet starships…? :cwink:

As I recall, Miles O’Brien was (in)famous for going back and forth between enlisted and officer ranks.

New character posters:

snw-charposter-04.jpg
snw-charposter-01.jpg

snw-charposter-03.jpg

snw-charposter-02.jpg

snw-charposter-06.jpg

snw-charposter-09.jpg

snw-charposter-05.jpg

snw-charposter-07.jpg

snw-charposter-08.jpg

They all look quite retro sixties sci-fi, but I like Number One's and Nurse Chapel's the most.

And this is where Discovery went wrong with their uniforms! As great as they were (one of my faves) they just didnt suit the time period it was part of. These however are a good update to the OGs.

Before the days of space tourism, virtually every astronaut/cosmonaut had an engineering or doctorate degree. I.e., they’d qualify as commissioned “officers” in any quasi-military organization. (Indeed, many were officers from previous military careers.) So you’d think the same would be true of Star Fleet. Personnel would be cream-of-the-crop, best-of-the-best: highly trained and with advanced education and expertise. And yet, there is an “enlisted” class. Of course, Star Trek envisions large space ships that resemble aircraft carriers or submarines. And on those, someone needs to mop the floors, refill the coffee maker and unplug the toilets. Likewise, Star Fleet starships…? :cwink:

As I recall, Miles O’Brien was (in)famous for going back and forth between enlisted and officer ranks.

Considering how different Star Fleet is compared o astronauts, it makes perfect sense that not everyone would have a doctorate. Once you conquer going to space and have all these ships, the standards are going to go down. It's essentially their version of the army.

And this is where Discovery went wrong with their uniforms! As great as they were (one of my faves) they just didnt suit the time period it was part of. These however are a good update to the OGs.
I think Discovery was trying to bridge the gap between Enterprise(2001) overalls and The original series(1966) 2 piece. So they were closer to the Enterprise show's color but made the suit more like The original series with it being 2 piece and not overalls.
The suit that Number one is wearing in the pics above looks similar to Discovery season 4's future uniforms. Hers is the only one that looks like that though with the big stripe down it.
I don't really like the white uniforms for doctors now. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to make the doctors stand out, they can be targeted quite easily now.

I think it will mostly be Pike, we know very little about what he was up to so it leaves more room for storytelling. Kirk we know where and when he served, so it hinders storytelling more so but not definitely. I am hoping to follow Pike since his stories are more open. We can see new things.

I think Scotty will be the last one to serve under Pike before Kirk brings in McCoy, Sulu, Chekov, Mitchell, and Lee Kelso.

Don't forget cleaning the biofilters in the holodecks.

I think Discovery was trying to bridge the gap between Enterprise(2001) overalls and The original series(1966) 2 piece. So they were closer to the Enterprise show's color but made the suit more like The original series with it being 2 piece and not overalls.
The suit that Number one is wearing in the pics above looks similar to Discovery season 4's future uniforms. Hers is the only one that looks like that though with the big stripe down it.
I don't really like the white uniforms for doctors now. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to make the doctors stand out, they can be targeted quite easily now.

I hope they give Nurse Chapel a blue uniform as that white one looks too much like a Discovery uniform.

I hope they give Nurse Chapel a blue uniform as that white one looks too much like a Discovery uniform.
yeah, the blue one would be better. She wore blue in The Original Series, so I don't know why they are keeping the discovery looking one.
I think Scotty will be the last one to serve under Pike before Kirk brings in McCoy, Sulu, Chekov, Mitchell, and Lee Kelso.
Scotty would've been the only one I would believe also served under Pike, since Scotty is one of the oldest of the TOS crew. But I think doesn't get assigned to the enterprise until Kirk is given the ship. I don't really like all these TOS people serving with Pike. This show had a chance to create new characters we could get behind, instead of younger versions of ones we have seen already. I liked it better when it was just Spock and Number one.
It is funny that Number one and Nurse Chapel are both in this

It's 2022.

Scotty would've been the only one I would believe also served under Pike, since Scotty is one of the oldest of the TOS crew. But I think doesn't get assigned to the enterprise until Kirk is given the ship. I don't really like all these TOS people serving with Pike. This show had a chance to create new characters we could get behind, instead of younger versions of ones we have seen already. I liked it better when it was just Spock and Number one.

Seems like a good mix of new characters and original series here between Hemmer, La'an, Erica Ortegas.

Last edited:
...It is funny that Number one and Nurse Chapel are both in this

Well… Number One was in “The Cage.” So it’s not really surprising that she would be featured — along with Pike and Spock — in the pre-Kirk adventures of Enterprise. The presence of Uhura and Chapel, however, does stretch canon a bit.

It's 2022.

Seems like a good mix of new characters and original series here between Hemmer, La'an, Erica Ortegas.
I can't tell if you are joking either. Actually it's around 2250 something or 2260. The minishirt thing is a joke, look at the uniforms they are miniskirts still. Except now they have tights or pants on underneath I can't tell from the picture.

snw-unis-group-shot-1280x960.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"