• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

If they really do a TOS reboot, I wonder if they will go into the Motion Picture era with the grey pajama uniforms.

Haha I hope not but I would love seeing the red jackets again from WOK and everything after. For whatever reason, those uniforms were always my favorites.

If they do dip into the Motion Picture era, I hope that if they use Decker, they don’t cast an actor who looks anything like Stephen Collins for… obvious reasons.

Haha I hope not but I would love seeing the red jackets again from WOK and everything after. For whatever reason, those uniforms were always my favorites.

If they do dip into the Motion Picture era, I hope that if they use Decker, they don’t cast an actor who looks anything like Stephen Collins for… obvious reasons.

What obvious reasons are they? What has he done?

… just check his Wikipedia page.

I see. I didn't know that. Even before he was Decker he was already at it. :(

Has anyone seen the individual character promos?

Nurse Chapel looks quite a fun character and more flirty than the original. In fact, she looks like she could even play Black Cat in a Spider-Man movie:

Yeah I saw a couple of these on Twitter. Thanks for posting the others. I agree, Chapel looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to her interactions with Spock.

The only one I’m iffy on is La’an. Not the performance or the actress; it’s more that I don’t understand how a relative of Khan would fit into this story. They obviously did it because of Khan’s popularity but… hopefully they found a way for it to make sense. Can’t be worse than the way Abrams handled Khan in STID, lol.

Yeah I saw a couple of these on Twitter. Thanks for posting the others. I agree, Chapel looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to her interactions with Spock.

The only one I’m iffy on is La’an. Not the performance or the actress; it’s more that I don’t understand how a relative of Khan would fit into this story. They obviously did it because of Khan’s popularity but… hopefully they found a way for it to make sense. Can’t be worse than the way Abrams handled Khan in STID, lol.

I agree. I don't think the Enterprise needs even closer ties to Khan than it had on the original series. Their first contact with him should've been when they awoke him and his crew from suspended animation, not that a relative of his was serving aboard the Enterprise and Spock and others in the crew already knew about this but never thought to inform Captain Kirk.

At least they haven't made Kirk and Khan half brothers... yet.

I agree. I don't think the Enterprise needs even closer ties to Khan than it had on the original series. Their first contact with him should've been when they awoke him and his crew from suspended animation, not that a relative of his was serving aboard the Enterprise and Spock and others in the crew already knew about this but never thought to inform Captain Kirk.

At least they haven't made Kirk and Khan half brothers... yet.

Hahaha you never know.

He definitely has the deep Nimoy voice.

He definitely has the deep Nimoy voice.

I think Quinto resembled Nimoy more but Peck has the deeper Spock voice. Neither are as good as Nimoy though who both sounded and looked more iconic.

Who is this Aenar Hemmer? Sounds like the alien version of Armie Hammer. :o

I think Quinto resembled Nimoy more but Peck has the deeper Spock voice. Neither are as good as Nimoy though who both sounded and looked more iconic.

Who is this Aenar Hemmer? Sounds like the alien version of Armie Hammer. :o

Yeah the physical resemblance with Quinto was uncanny but the deep voice wasn’t there (that’s not a knock on Quinto; I really liked him in the role). But it’s cool that Peck has the voice.

Not gonna lie, the character promos are really testing my resolve to not to resub to Paramount+ till Lower Decks season 3.

I truly believe this is being done for four reasons:

1. Memberberries. "Remember Star Trek 2?" "Remember Khan?"
2. They want La'an and Kirk to have romantic chemistry when they meet in season two.
3. The showrunners want to rework everything set in place in the original series. Basically, the original series will be remade. I fully expect these awful showrunners to introduce Khan by at least season four.
4. Star Trek: Khan will come at some point, I'm sure.

Or they want to deal with the genetic modification ban that is in the Federation. Granted, I had just rewatched "Dr. Bashir, I Presume", which is a pretty fantastic episode, so I am eager for a little more of that then what DS9 did later.

Finally one for Pike. Although why is he confiding in Spock about his grisly fate instead of Number One?

I am rewatching the original series, it still holds up. I just wanted to get back into that era from where it started, and remember what was going on around this time period. I thought Pike's character was good from the pilot The Cage and always wanted to see more of him as captain. I am interested in following this show because of that and Anson Mount is a good Pike. I hope I didn't set myself up for huge disappointment by watching TOS right before this new show. I do like the updated look of the bridge consoles.

Finally one for Pike. Although why is he confiding in Spock about his grisly fate instead of Number One?

How does he know his fate? Was that something from The Cage? I’ve never actually seen that episode.

How does he know his fate? Was that something from The Cage? I’ve never actually seen that episode.
It’s from a season 2 Discovery episode. Related to the main story arc, Pike finds himself in a Klingon monastery with “time guardians” and “time crystals.” Via the latter, Pike has a vision of the future radiation accident that will disable him — events recounted in the TOS episode(s) “The Menagerie.”

As Dr said, it was in that Discovery episode. The Cage was a regular episode albeit a pilot episode which never suggested any tragedy for Pike. It was only the Menagerie which showed what happened to him.

I wish Strange New Worlds wasn't a continuation of Discovery but showed us Pike's 5 year mission from the beginning and remade the Cage as a modern episode.

It’s from a season 2 Discovery episode. Related to the main story arc, Pike finds himself in a Klingon monastery with “time guardians” and “time crystals.” Via the latter, Pike has a vision of the future radiation accident that will disable him — events recounted in the TOS episode(s) “The Menagerie.”

As Dr said, it was in that Discovery episode. The Cage was a regular episode albeit a pilot episode which never suggested any tragedy for Pike. It was only the Menagerie which showed what happened to him.

I wish Strange New Worlds wasn't a continuation of Discovery but showed us Pike's 5 year mission from the beginning and remade the Cage as a modern episode.

Ah okay thanks. I just started watching Discovery but I’m not up to the point where Pike shows up. I have seen The Menagerie so I knew how he ended up; it may be interesting seeing how they handle a character who knows about his eventual doom.

Ah okay thanks. I just started watching Discovery but I’m not up to the point where Pike shows up. I have seen The Menagerie so I knew how he ended up; it may be interesting seeing how they handle a character who knows about his eventual doom.

Maybe there should be an episode where he has the chance to change the future and he gets to see how things play out but eventually he discovers that it has to happen to ensure a certain path, a bit like City on the edge of Forever.

Maybe there should be an episode where he has the chance to change the future and he gets to see how things play out but eventually he discovers that it has to happen to ensure a certain path, a bit like City on the edge of Forever.

I like that idea. It makes him even more heroic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"