• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Strange New Worlds Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - General Discussion Thread

My thoughts: Oh, yay, the Klingons aren't buried in the suffocating Discovery prosthetics anymore! ...Oh, they're just TNG era Klingons who I've never liked. Win some, lose some. Hopefully in the actual show they get some of that weird, sleazy Soviet energy TOS/Undiscovered Country Klingons had.
monkeys-paw-paw.gif

My thoughts: Oh, yay, the Klingons aren't buried in the suffocating Discovery prosthetics anymore! ...Oh, they're just TNG era Klingons who I've never liked. Win some, lose some. Hopefully in the actual show they get some of that weird, sleazy Soviet energy TOS/Undiscovered Country Klingons had.
I don't know about that. If you look closely, while their prosthetics and basic costuming language are based on the TMP/TNG reimagining, those basic design are heavily modified to be more evocative of the TOS Kingdom costumes. So I am hopefully these Klingons will be more of the Soviet style adversaries from earlier Trek. The shot of Spock drinking with them reminded of the shot of Patton drinking with the Soviet generals near the end of his biopic. Also, Kurtzman was the co-writer of Star Trek 2009 and the deleted scenes very much portrayed TOS-style Cold War Soviet Klingons, so you might be pleasantly surprised.

See, he isn't blowing my mind but there's something that is really clicking as Kirk to me. I think he's doing a lot of less notable Shatnerisms rather than the big ones, focusing more in on TOS era Shatner rather than later on when Bill's quirks grew more notable.

Obviously he ain't Pine but Pine is a pretty singularly charismatic lead.

There is nothing like any of the Shatnerisms from the original series era at all there. He doesn't have that charisma or self-assuredness or even that commanding presence. I'm not judging by the later movie-era Shatner but precisely by the original series. Even Chris Pine, who didn't do these Shatnerisms was still more Kirk-like and charismatic. This Kirk here doesn't even seem like a leading man.

See, he isn't blowing my mind but there's something that is really clicking as Kirk to me. I think he's doing a lot of less notable Shatnerisms rather than the big ones, focusing more in on TOS era Shatner rather than later on when Bill's quirks grew more notable.

Obviously he ain't Pine but Pine is a pretty singularly charismatic lead.

It is honestly just a waiting game to see how much sexual tension he has with Peck.

There is nothing like any of the Shatnerisms from the original series era at all there. He doesn't have that charisma or self-assuredness or even that commanding presence. I'm not judging by the later movie-era Shatner but precisely by the original series. Even Chris Pine, who didn't do these Shatnerisms was still more Kirk-like and charismatic. This Kirk here doesn't even seem like a leading man.
I can see Kirk being more of a "square" at this stage of his life and learning from Captain Pike about how to wear life gloriously. That would fit with last season's flashforward portrayal of a TOS-era Kirk who hadn't served with Pike.

Still not liking Wesley as Kirk at all, but loved pretty much everything else in that trailer. I need this show back in my life now.

I can see Kirk being more of a "square" at this stage of his life and learning from Captain Pike about how to wear life gloriously. That would fit with last season's flashforward portrayal of a TOS-era Kirk who hadn't served with Pike.

I’d be more up for that if they actually cast some 20-something up-and-comer ala Chris Pine at the time. Not a 40-year old lol

Didn't like what they did with Spock, and this Kirk we shall see.

Let's hope this season they figure out how to hold the medical scanner. Holding things backwards and upside down are fun little things that pop up from time to time in Star Trek, but this series does is all the time.

Here is a picture of Bones using his medical tricorder, which this bigger white scanner looks like a larger variation on.

You first see it in Discovery. Culber uses it the proper way holding it from the ergonomic handle, which seems almost intuitive. Holding by the glass part would just seem weird anyway. Let's see if the show notices this season.
I think the problem is they are using two devices to scan with and both have lights on them. So the actors probably think they are both used the same way.

Anyway just a funny thing I can't help noticing every time someone is scanning in and says they can't read anything, or all seems fine.

Reactions: Dr.
I binge watched it for the first time today. Damn excellent show, love it. Absolutely loved how they were able to incorporate homages to TOS into the updated sets.
Glad you enjoyed it, Doc!

I know it's only had one season so far, but it really is my favorite Star Trek series I've seen tbh. This crew is just wonderful to me.

Glad you enjoyed it, Doc!

I know it's only had one season so far, but it really is my favorite Star Trek series I've seen tbh. This crew is just wonderful to me.
Having been with the franchise since 1966 I have to say TOS is my favorite (it's been in my life longer than anything else at this point)....but SNW is my second favorite now.

It’s so funny how they keep trying to make Kirk and uhura the Ross and Rachel of Star Trek considering the original series was definitely not that. Like they had a kiss once and that’s it

And that kiss was nonconsentual for both of them.

Region-free version of the latest trailer...

I really don't like what they did to Spock in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IAmBatman125
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"