Super Nintendo Classic Edition (21 games)

I got one too! Amazon Treasure Truck service launched in NYC today, and I managed to get one just before it sold out. :up:

I got up at 3:00am EST/12:00am PST and ordered one online at ThinkGeek.com. While everyone else was crashing the Gamestop, Amazon and Walmart servers. I had all 3 tabs open. lol It was a good thing I was on Neogaf for alternative websites.

In-store units seemed to be in much better stock than the NES Classic launch. The Target I work at had about 50 on hand.

Last edited:
I will try to grab an NES Classic when they bring them back again eventually like they said they would.

hqdefault.jpg

[YT]rcTtomNczcw[/YT]
[FONT=Roboto !important]07:09[/FONT]
SNES Classic Launch Coverage! - The Rundown - Electric Playground
[FONT=Roboto !important]1.4K views6 hours ago Published on 09/29/2017[/FONT]
[FONT=Roboto !important]
[FONT=Roboto !important]Today in a special edition of the Rundown, we cover the early morning launch of the tiny SNES Classic! We hear from everyday gamers as well as game makers about the system,
the best games, and the legacy that the Super Nintendo has had on the gaming world![/FONT]

[/FONT]

source:
EPN.tv

SNES Classic review:
http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/review/a839324/snes-mini-review/

They criticized the game selection. Saying that 6 out of 21 being Mario and Kirby is too many... but then complain that Chrono Trigger isn't there, saying it was understandable due to licensing issues... which don't exist, considering another Square game, Final Fantasy 6 is included. The real reason Trigger (and FF4) is missing is because another Square game, Secret of Mana, is there too, they didn't want too much of one genre.

This goes to show that everyone can't be pleased. Everyone's going to have a whinge about a certain game not being included with the selection. Then when you come right down to it, complaining seems to be a sport/hobby to some people.

Eh, "licensing issues" is a legitimate thing with Chrono Trigger. Not that it would be impossible, but that it *needs* a license, and this doesn't come free. Chrono Trigger is an extremely popular and high value game for the SNES, and is available on a lot of platforms. Its less a matter of "this game could not happen" and more "including this game would mean sacrificing other stuff or raising the price".

That said, complaining about "too much Mario" is nonsense. The four Mario games on it are *radically* different, much moreso than on the NES Classic. Same for Kirby, Dream Course is a completely different genre from Super Star. Also, the console is lacking both puzzle and sports games, Dream Course was pretty likely an attempt to fill that gap.

My kids are pre teens and pretty much played the NES for a day and a half before shelving it.

The SNES classic is whole, other animal.

They both have a solid top 5 and play it non stop.

Easily worth the 80 bucks.

Usually, I pay 50-60 bucks for a single game and maybe one person in the household will play it for a week and that's it.

In fact, when I was a preteen, I played Street Fighter and Super Mario World for months. I would have to wait until Christmas or a birthday for a couple more games. I would've killed for 30 games as a single gift.

People are spoiled af.

My kids are pre teens and pretty much played the NES for a day and a half before shelving it.

Usually, I pay 50-60 bucks for a single game and maybe one person in the household will play it for a week and that's it.

In fact, when I was a preteen, I played Street Fighter and Super Mario World for months. I would have to wait until Christmas or a birthday for a couple more games. I would've killed for 30 games as a single gift.

People are spoiled af

Spoiled and ungrateful

People are spoiled af.

That’s cool that they like SNES those games are still some of my faves of all time. Im sad they didn’t include DKC2 as that along with SMW and DKC were my fave games. Also wish they could’ve included x-men: Mutant Apocalypse but I’m not surprised they didn’t.

People are spoiled af.

I really don't see a market for this... except nerds who buy anything... the biggest problem is the fact it doesn't play cartridges... I have a collection of hundreds of cartridges and wouldn't mind a NES/SNES with modern support that accepted cartridges. Then it might actually be worth buying.

I really don't see a market for this... except nerds who buy anything... the biggest problem is the fact it doesn't play cartridges... I have a collection of hundreds of cartridges and wouldn't mind a NES/SNES with modern support that accepted cartridges. Then it might actually be worth buying.

The way it's packaged it forces kids to experiment with genres and titles they'd usually ignore.

If I had to buy cartridges my kids would be stuck with four or five and they might not even like them.

Instead, they have 30 games to choose from and they're enjoying games I didn't expect.

It's pretty cool, actually.

The way it's packaged it forces kids to experiment with genres and titles they'd usually ignore.

If I had to buy cartridges my kids would be stuck with four or five and they might not even like them.

Instead, they have 30 games to choose from and they're enjoying games I didn't expect.

It's pretty cool, actually.

If they could have it like the Megadrive one which allows carts to be used as well as the built-in games it'd be perfection.

news from retailers in the video below

hqdefault.jpg

[YT]t573EcL9Uz4[/YT]
Battlegrounds PS4 News - The Rundown - Electric Playground[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]1.2K views9 hours agoPublished on10/02/2017[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]Today in the Rundown, we have news about a possible PS4 version of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds! We also find out when the SNES Classic will return to stores, examine a new
version of the PlayStation VR headset, get animated with a new Batman movie, and finally, have rumblings from Arkham Asylum developer Rocksteady Games about their next big project!

[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto !important]source:[/FONT][FONT=Roboto !important]EPN.tv[/FONT]

. . . why, exactly would a plug-and-play retro device be *less* appealing to the general audience, then a device that requires you to actually acquire old cartridges? "Able to play 30 year old game carts" is a hardcore retro nerd functionality, not something your average person who doesn't own any would want to do.

And bluntly, its a fundamentally different product type, with a fundamentally different market. Its like complaining that your blender doesn't toast waffles: a true statement, but why would you even want it to?

I just can't help but see these things as gimmicks looking to cash in on what appears to be a surge in interest in retro computing judging by the Atari box but honestly it misses the point. You don't think it would be more appealing if it could play both built-in games and carts?

I just can't help but see these things as gimmicks looking to cash in on what appears to be a surge in interest in retro computing judging by the Atari box but honestly it misses the point. You don't think it would be more appealing if it could play both built-in games and carts?

Yeah. I was going to buy it... and then at the moment of seeing the box.

My mind went, "Do I really need this? Can't I just download an emulator on my Galaxy S8 and buy a bluetooth snes controller w/ dongle." Because in the end I would just add more roms to the SNES classic. So why do that when I just use my phone to add the roms there.

Because I'll be the one playing it. My kids would probably try it and then go back to their minecraft. It's really for me... but I'm not at my house that much as I work.

So I put my wallet back in my pocket and wag my finger at Nintendo thinking, "you almost had me."

Because in all reality, I'll play it once just to get that nostalgic feeling and then occasionally come back to it when the mood strikes again.

Of course, this is my own preferences. I don't expect anyone to do what I did. Nor should they--if what they want is this device in their living room.

Last edited:

I've seen this at my local used game shop. I may give it a look, because my main problem with the SNES Classic ( and NES Classic ) is that it's a close ended system that can't be expanded/upgraded with new games.

Nintendo should have just made a retro mini console on which you could have bought and downloaded all their Virtual Console games.

or else just bring VC to the Switch.

I've seen this at my local used game shop. I may give it a look, because my main problem with the SNES Classic ( and NES Classic ) is that it's a close ended system that can't be expanded/upgraded with new games.

Nintendo should have just made a retro mini console on which you could have bought and downloaded all their Virtual Console games.

or else just bring VC to the Switch.

They should've just made it so it had a game store where you could buy copies for the console of games for like $0.99 or $1.99. Made money off their catalogue. When the price is low you tend to get a lot of sales from people who otherwise wouldn't have bought.

I'm sure the market wouldn't mind official ways to play these games that have been properly tested to work 100% on the hardware. They could reuse the tech from the 3DS. That wouldn't add more than a few bucks. Why would Nintendo want to use an emulator for a device when it could build the actual device and make it as compatible as possible?

That isn't the market they were looking for. I see the cheapo Segas and Ataris in the stores all the time. These are meant to appeal to that crowd. But, because its Nintendo, it sells blockbusters.

It would be nice if you could just play regular games and not just built in games. The nice thing about getting something like this though is it is like cheaper then just buying all the games on like the VC or like buying them from amazon or something. You are getting in this case 21 games for $80 or about $4 a game. Good luck finding old games for less then like 15-20 each.

Only if it were sold at the same price point, which it wouldn't. For the vast majority of the current audience, "plays carts" is a completely extraneous feature they wouldn't ever use. Adding it makes the product more appealing for a new audience, but this does Nintendo no good if they price the product out of the original, larger audience. And between the added hardware and software necessary, you'd be looking at a *minimum* of a 50% price bump. Probably more, if you want the cart functionality to be any good.

Also, once again, there already is a device that provides what you want, if what you want is "an online store that lets me download whatever games I want."

Its called the 3DS. And, hopefully in the near future, the Switch.

The SNES Classic was never meant to serve that function, and complaining that it doesn't basically just begs the question: "Why aren't you buying a 3DS instead?"

Because there's just something about playing games on a console made by Nintendo...carts or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"