The All-Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread - Part 7

I can only hope that in time comic book Aquaman takes more and more inspiration from Momoa's version (i.e: skin/hair color, background, culture, etc); I know what the purists in the room will say...what purists always say, but the purist mindset ("I like things as I knew them and they should remain the same because that's how I like them") has always been the enemy of progress and inventiveness - topically applicable to these characters remaining relevant - and the real impact of it cannot be stated until generations passed. Momoa's Aquaman is far more interesting than traditionally depicted Arthur, so it's only for the better.

Other than that...

And there's this completely random thing that has been in my head since the first time I saw it, and it's not big deal or anything, but...

Thomas and Atlanna meet in 1885, meaning that Arthur is 33 tops by the time the movie takes place; since he seems to be at least 3 by the time Atlanna leaves back to the ocean, so that would make Orm 29 as much...

Momoa doesn't look 33 (although, ok....might see it...) and Patrick Wilson certainly doesn't look 29 :o

Not that it bothers me or even matters at all, I was just wondering if anybody else had that little bug in mind too; it's funny that they had them both playing younger, and previously we have Affleck and Cavill playing older than their own age, but I'm pretty sure there's plenty more examples in the DCEU (and in movie history in general, duh!).

Just silly things, this movie is just too ridiculously awesome.

Momoa made me single handedly like Aquaman, so he was definitely great casting. I was initially against it since I thought that Snyder cast him to be some Khal Drogo-esque barbarian Aquaman (and BvS certainly made it look like he might have in his three seconds of screen-time), but surfer-bro Aquaman is just so damn charismatic. I can see why Denis would want Momoa for that role in Dune; he fits it like a glove.

OK, I remember reading an article written by an Ocean "expert", saying that a group of Stringrays shown in Aquaman was inaccurate as Sting rays don't travel in a group (There's a scene of Vulko underwater with a bunch of stingrays swimming over his head.)

So, guess what ? Whoever wrote that supposedly scientific article (I will post a link of that article if I find it again) was wrong.

Last edited:
Finally got to catch Aquaman on video since I had seen it i December (damn time is FLYING) and sweet lawd do I love this crazy ass bonkers movie. I noticed the story issues that people had problems with more this time around but this movie was just too much of a visual comic book feast for me to give a damn or let it ruin the experience. Wan is such an expert at his craft and I love that he just went for gusto. And I love Mamoa in the role, I know the purists have a problem with him but I like this guy is a regular schlub like the rest of us that didn't even want to be king but did it anyway because it was the right thing to do. Every single action sequence is a standout but that 3rd act climax gives Endgame's a run for its money (just purely in terms of visual epic action spectacle).

Anyway, Wan needs to do Justice League.

I was talking to some friends (both actors) one of whom liked Aquaman (he liked it despite the story) and one who hated it because of the story. It further backed up my idea that if you like Ahnold or Stallone films you will love Aquaman and if you dont you wont. I told them the theory and they laughed and agreed. He loves 80s action films and she hates them ;)

True or not, Momoa embodies Aquaman for me and the GA, arguably. And that's a good thing. :yay:

Best Comic-to-Motion-Picture Release

Aquaman
Avengers: Endgame
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain Marvel
Shazam!
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best Supporting Actress in a Film

Cynthia Erivo, Bad Times at The El Royale
Karen Gillan, Avengers: Endgame
Amber Heard, Aquaman
Scarlett Johansson, Avengers: Endgame
Naomi Scott, Aladdin
Hailee Steinfeld, Bumblebee
Zendaya, Spider-Man: Far From Home

Best Film Director

Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck, Captain Marvel
Karyn Kusama, Destroyer
Jordan Peele, Us
Guy Ritchie, Aladdin
Anthony Russo & Joe Russo, Avengers: Endgame
Steven Spielberg, Ready Player One
James Wan, Aquaman
Zhang Yimou, Shadow

Best Film Production Design

Bill Brzeski, Aquaman
Ruth De Jong, Us
Rick Heinrichs, Dumbo
Gemma Jackson, Aladdin
Horace Ma Gwong-Wing, Shadow
John Myhre, Mary Poppins Returns
Charles Wood, Avengers: Endgame

Best Film Costume

Kym Barrett, Aquaman
Leah Butler, Shazam!
Judianna Makovsky, Avengers: Endgame
Chen Minzheng, Shadow
Sandy Powell, Mary Poppins Returns
Michael Wilkinson, Aladdin

45th Saturn Awards Nominations: 'Avengers: Endgame' Leads with 14 Nods, 'Game of Thrones' Tops TV Category

Aquaman costume design by Kym Barrett. The costume design is actually lot more detailed than it initially looks on screen.

EBP-Tz-X4-AIiqvb.jpg

EBP-T0-FX4-AIv-Mr-E.jpg

EBP_T0AWkAAH1KV.jpg

Last edited:
This is amazing, I thought that those statues were entirely CGI, but they did construct real sets for many scenes (which were augmented by CGI in post)

EBP-T0-DXo-AAVv73.jpg

I finally got around to ordering the soundtrack just yesterday and saw this just now. Dammit, should have waited! :o

I wish the album had more tracks, it's a lot of remixes which aren't very good

Yeah I was listening to it today at work. It’s such a fun album

Julie Andrews was asked about being in the Aquaman movie (1:20) :

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"