The All Things Flash Thread. - Part 2

That’s what made The Batman so refreshing for me. No shared universe or setup for some other franchise, just a good ol’ Batman detective story, straight outta the comics. :hrt:

I'm right there with you, Flick. And honestly, I think in the aftermath of Endgame and MCU phase 4 and the DCEU flaming out...I think i just want good standalone movies going forward, you know? Will I watch Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars? Sure. But I'm much more interested these days in The Batmans, and Jokers and Spider-Verses. Movies that standalone and take big swings and arent setting up wider stories that you have to watch 18 movies and tv shows for. Which is what I'm hoping the Flash is too.

I'm right there with you, Flick. And honestly, I think in the aftermath of Endgame and MCU phase 4 and the DCEU flaming out...I think i just want good standalone movies going forward, you know? Will I watch Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars? Sure. But I'm much more interested these days in The Batmans, and Jokers and Spider-Verses. Movies that standalone and take big swings and arent setting up wider stories that you have to watch 18 movies and tv shows for. Which is what I'm hoping the Flash is too.
Shared universes are fine. Avengers changed the game when it came to comic book movies. The problem is you need to limit the Superhero teams. I think the mistake that Marvel made and will continue to make is that they have to many teams. The Avengers, Guardians, Defenders, Eternals, and coming soon Fantastic four/X-men. Just too many superheroes. Sadly it looks the DCU is about to make the same mistake.

Only looking forward to a few cb flicks and that is it really.

The Batman 2
The Flash- but will wait till digital release
Joker 2- only for the potential fun mess that it seems to be.

The Batman Part II, Superman Legacy and Deadpool 3 are pretty much the only comic book films I'm truly really looking forward to. The Batman was a breath of fresh air, and while I think the second half of the movie has pacing issues, I still loved it overall And it's nice to have that character be in safe hands after being treated horribly by Snyder in the DCEU.

Bleh, I'm definitely skipping this in theaters.

Because it contradicts a film that was never in canon anyways? ZSJL was never anything but AT&T burning money to try and get a small segment of fans to stop whining. (which didn't happen)

I get it if it is about Ezra, but a plotpoint most doing even remember?

The Batman Part II, Superman Legacy and Deadpool 3 are pretty much the only comic book films I'm truly really looking forward to. The Batman was a breath of fresh air, and while I think the second half of the movie has pacing issues, I still loved it overall And it's nice to have that character be in safe hands after being treated horribly by Snyder in the DCEU.

Same, but I'd replace Deadpool 3 (which I don't mind but don't particularly look forward to) with Joker 2. I still have hope that this movie might end up being something in the vein of All That Jazz...

Same, but I'd replace Deadpool 3 (which I don't mind but don't particularly look forward to) with Joker 2. I still have hope that this movie might end up being something in the vein of All That Jazz...
I was somewhat excited for Joker 2, and still am, but Im honestly getting vibes that I won't enjoy the movie as much as I'd like to. Obviously I'm gonna wait for a trailer to decide on that, but it being a musical combined with the fact that i didn't think the first film needed a sequel at all, I'm pretty skeptical. The only musical I've ever loved is Sweeny Todd. And, personally speaking, I don't really think Tod Philips cares about making this new version actually feel like the Joker from DC. The first film got away with it, despite being super on the nose with it's scorcese homages, and it works on it's own, but I really feel like Joker 2 is gonna deviate even more from the idea of Arthur Fleck being the Joker. That being said, I'm totally open to being surprised by it and I'm curious if the trailer will exceed my expectations.

Last edited:
Because it contradicts a film that was never in canon anyways? ZSJL was never anything but AT&T burning money to try and get a small segment of fans to stop whining. (which didn't happen)

I get it if it is about Ezra, but a plotpoint most doing even remember?

I was on the fence about the film due to Miller already. The fact that the movie is apparently connected to the inferior JL just seals it for me.

I've kinda been over the shared universe thing for awhile. Marvel did it well, but at the same time, after awhile, it kinda made certain films/tv series just feel like filler until the next big event movie. Which kinda sucks.

I've always been okay with DC kinda doing their own thing. I wasn't even mad at the idea of doing a JL film and spawning spinoffs from it, just needed better execution.

I much prefer the Snydercut, but I don't really care which is canon at this point, as it's all going to be left behind soon anyways. Just hoping the movie delivers a good time.

I will say, I feel like the director has put a bad taste in some people's mouth saying Ezra can't be replaced. Tbh, I can't wait until their's a new actor playing The Flash. Never cared for him in the slightest as Barry. Same with the guy that played Lex Luthor in BvS.

I was on the fence about the film due to Miller already. The fact that the movie is apparently connected to the inferior JL just seals it for me.

It is not connected to that really either. It never references anything except events in MOS. Honestly outside of Batfleck being there you can ignore BvS and all versions of Justice League because the film basically did.

I've kinda been over the shared universe thing for awhile. Marvel did it well, but at the same time, after awhile, it kinda made certain films/tv series just feel like filler until the next big event movie. Which kinda sucks.

I've always been okay with DC kinda doing their own thing. I wasn't even mad at the idea of doing a JL film and spawning spinoffs from it, just needed better execution.

I much prefer the Snydercut, but I don't really care which is canon at this point, as it's all going to be left behind soon anyways. Just hoping the movie delivers a good time.

I will say, I feel like the director has put a bad taste in some people's mouth saying Ezra can't be replaced. Tbh, I can't wait until their's a new actor playing The Flash. Never cared for him in the slightest as Barry. Same with the guy that played Lex Luthor in BvS.

Well it would be a bit jarring to have a different actor in a (not happening) sequel because they are in every scene of the film mostly out of uniform. It would be hard to hide.

I’ve gone on record saying that I kind of liked and appreciated DC’s more messy chaotic approach as opposed to Marvel’s cleaner streamlined continuity one. You never knew what you were gonna get in each DC movie. Even from movies with the same director! All three Snyder movies have a very different look and feel to them, WW 2017 is a very different film than WW84, every film seemed like the directors attached were taking different swings with them. And …i kinda liked that if im being honest even though admittedly it was a very messy approach.

There's a lot of people who weren't around back then who don't appreciate just how big that movie and the accompanying Batmania was, and what a game-changer it was.

There are also a couple of generations of people who don't know a world without Batman films on a regular basis , in addition to CB based films and tv shows being a common place genre.

They've basically grown up in a world where we can take for granted that ,rain or shine, there's gonna be a new Batman, Spiderman, Marvel,DC, etc, film or tv show every few years.

That wasn't the case when B89 was released.

So the landscape has changed considerably in the 30 years since Batman Returns was released.

Last edited:
The shared universe thing can be exciting for a while when starting out, but I think the MCU is showing how not-so-sustainable it is in the long term. Eventually I think a reboot and recalibration is necessary to keep a brand fresh and relevant once you start getting into a decades-long run. EON/the Bond franchise is a testament to that notion, imo.

The thing I hope Gunn does (which it sounds like he's going to do) is to put these characters and their own lives and worlds first, and put the shared universe stuff as second.

The Universe should be the sandbox these characters operate in , but these individual characters lives and journeys should be the priority in their solo films with the crossover stuff being occasional
treats.

Same vibes.

tumblr_ppy2sxei4o1rrkahjo4_540.gifv

tumblr_ppy2sxei4o1rrkahjo5_540.gifv

tumblr_ppy2sxei4o1rrkahjo6_540.gifv

The thing I hope Gunn does (which it sounds like he's going to do) is to put these characters and their own lives and worlds first, and put the shared universe stuff as second.

The Universe should be the sandbox these characters operate in , but these individual characters lives and journeys should be the priority in their solo films with the crossover stuff being occasional
treats.

Now that sounds like a good plan.

I was somewhat excited for Joker 2, and still am, but Im honestly getting vibes that I won't enjoy the movie as much as I'd like to. Obviously I'm gonna wait for a trailer to decide on that, but it being a musical combined with the fact that i didn't think the first film needed a sequel at all, I'm pretty skeptical. The only musical I've ever loved is Sweeny Todd. And, personally speaking, I don't really think Tod Philips cares about making this new version actually feel like the Joker from DC. The first film got away with it, and it works on it's own, but I really feel like Joker 2 is gonna deviate even more from the idea of Arthur Fleck being the Joker. That being said, I'm totally open to being surprised by it and I'm curious if the trailer will exceed my expectations.

I also don't think a sequel was needed. But on the opposite of you, the musical side is intriguing me but mostly because, like I said, I would love that movie to reference gritty musical movie like All That Jazz or The Wall, in the same way the first one was reminescent of King of Comedy.

About comic accuracy, I'm totally expecting it to derivate even more from the source too.
But that's not a problem for me as I accept from even before the first film that Phillips will do something else with the character. In fact... I'm tempted to say that the whole project is more intersting to me that way that if it was a "true" Joker film...
But I understand peope feeling the other way around too. :cwink:

I’ve gone on record saying that I kind of liked and appreciated DC’s more messy chaotic approach as opposed to Marvel’s cleaner streamlined continuity one. You never knew what you were gonna get in each DC movie. Even from movies with the same director! All three Snyder movies have a very different look and feel to them, WW 2017 is a very different film than WW84, every film seemed like the directors attached were taking different swings with them. And …i kinda liked that if im being honest even though admittedly it was a very messy approach.

I agree with that. Even if it doesn't always pay off, I also find it much more exciting not knowing what you can get.

That's why I've always rejected shared universes the Marvel Studios way (or at least for the vast majority of their movies if I can believe what I'm seeing/hearing/reading about them)
I've always thought it made more sense to have the "event crossover film" to make concessions to tie all licences sensibilities together, rather than force dozens of other films into one mold.
That's kind of what happens in comics, the Batman you have in things like whatever big DC crossover/crisis will be very different from him in, I don't know, Legends Of The Dark Knight. And yet readers accept that it's one and the same person.
I'm 100% sure superhero movies could do the same.

treats.

That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"