The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man Appreciation Thread

harryoscop

Avenger
Reaction score
I didn't see a appreciation thread for my favorite Spider-Man movie so I decided to make one.

Anyways, I'll never forget how much hype I had leading up to TASM1, I knew Garfield was going to be the perfect choice when I saw him in Boy A and the Social Network, I was impressed by Stone in Easy A, AND The Help, I had already seen Sally Field, Rhys Ifans and Martin Sheen in movies prior to the reboot announment so I knew they were going to be great. And when I finally saw it, I was blown away. It was everythng that I would want in a Soider-Man movie; the perfect cast, the perfect costume (for Peter's first suit), the perfect score, the perfect director etc, I just think everything came together beautifully. I really like the tone they were proposing for this new series (which was thrown out of the window for TASM2), they were going for a more dark n gritty feel which I respected for them trying to try something different, and the cinematography was just beautiful. :hmr: those web swinging scenes, the Oscorp tower final battle, just perfect! and I just really love this movie, shame the sequel wasn't truer to the first film.

Anyways, does anybody else love The Amazing Spider-MAN out there?

Last edited:
I sure do. Apart from Spider-Man 2, it's my favorite of the Spider-Man movies.

It's the best Spider-Man movie, of course I love it.

Im currently watching this. I still love it. I literally dont thibk its possible for me to not like Spiderman.

I didn't see a appreciation thread for my favorite Spider-Man movie so I decided to make one.

Anyways, I'll never forget how much hype I had leading up to TASM1, I knew Garfield was going to be the perfect choice when I saw him in Boy A and the Social Network, I was impressed by Stone in Easy A, AND The Help, I had already seen Sally Field, Rhys Ifans and Martin Sheen in movies prior to the reboot announment so I knew they were going to be great. And when I finally saw it, I was blown away. It was everythng that I would want in a Soider-Man movie; the perfect cast, the perfect costume (for Peter's first suit), the perfect score, the perfect director etc, I just think everything came together beautifully. I really like the tone they were proposing for this new series (which was thrown out of the window for TASM2), they were going for a more dark n gritty feel which I respected for them trying to try something different, and the cinematography was just beautiful. :hmr: those web swinging scenes, the Oscorp tower final battle, just perfect! and I just really love this movie, shame the sequel wasn't truer to the first film.

Like amazing spider man 1 but don't love it. I love amazing spider man 2 though.

This place needs more love.
I Honestly find the Lizard to be the best film antagonist in all of the Spider-Man movies prior to the MCU one (I did not watch it yet, no comment). Sure he talks to his other side, but I find this one to be nicely consistent, the reptile side influenced Connors mind without the good doctor trying to kill his other side first and converting to his side just like the snap of a finger.

My only problem with this film was the soundtrack other than that I love it. I'll always be upset that they didn't see this universe thru.

My only problem with this film was the soundtrack other than that I love it. I'll always be upset that they didn't see this universe thru.
I actually love the soundtrack, it lifts the movie higher for me in the joy department.

[BLACKOUT][/BLACKOUT]
I actually love the soundtrack, it lifts the movie higher for me in the joy department.

Most of it gave the movie this sense sappiness that I detest. I don't like sappy things but I know it wasn't the movie itself, it was the music.

My favorite Spider-Man movie by a land slide. The cast was pretty much perfect. Andrew Garfield was great as Peter/Spider-Man, still by far the best live action Peter & Spider-Man to me. Emma Stone was great as Gwen and their on screen chemistry was obviously very good since they ended up dating in real life. Rhys Ifans was perfect as Curt Connors, and very good with the few lines he had as Lizard as well. I also didn't have much of a problem with Lizard's CGI, overall it looked really good to me minus a few shots here and there. Sally Fields was great as Aunt May, Martin Sheen was pretty good. Dennis Leary as Captain Stacy was very good. Flash was really good, though he was a bit underdeveloped, but his scene with Peter in the hallway after Ben dies is the best scene from Flash in any Spider-Man movie. The only acting I didn't care for in the movie was the guy that played Norman Osborn's lackey, he wasn't very good.

The Lizard's plan to turn the world into giant lizards wasn't the greatest idea ever but I've seen much, much worse in comic book movies. Alot of people criticize the crane scene near the end but I thought it was a really good scene except for the coincidence that the Father from the bridge rescue scene just happened to also be the main crane operator, I understand why they did that but it wasn't necessary and would have worked slightly better for me if it was just any another random citizen. Minor nitpick but contrivances like that bother me in movies lol...

Speaking of the bridge rescue scene, I think that scene is incredibly underrated. One of the best dramatic/emotional scenes of any comic book movie and I'm not a person that gets into the really emotional type of scenes most of the time but that one was just a great scene. Peter/Spider-Man talking the kid through the van to save him was great.

The scene with Spider-Man and Lizard fighting in the Library was great, alot of the visuals were outstanding throughout the movie. One of my favorite Spider-Man shots ever was when we first really get to see the costume in this shot...

The-Amazing-Spider-Man-reflection.png

I also liked that Peter designed and created the majority of his own costume, was shown to be very intelligent by fixing the equation for the formula that created Lizard and was shown to be very much into science/photography like the comics. I liked the origin scenes of him testing his powers, creating his identity as Spider-Man etc.

The more serious tone was a breath of fresh air for me after the incredibly campy Raimi movies. The dialogue felt more natural, more like real people having real conversations compared to the Raimi movies where all the dialogue plays out like corny speeches or force written over-dramatic or campy dialogue dumps.

The movie has some minor flaws here and there but overall I thought it was great and it's still the best Spider-Man movie to me. I wish they would have stuck closer to this movie when moving onto TASM2, which was a huge disappointment because I loved where this series started and was looking forward to a few more movies with Garfield.

Last edited:
^Yeah man, I totally agree about Flash Thompson. I wish we could have got more scenes with the guy, he was close to becoming Peter's good friend we know and love, I was really happy with this accurate take and wanted to see more of him.
Most of it gave the movie this sense sappiness that I detest. I don't like sappy things but I know it wasn't the movie itself, it was the music.
I found a good sense of balance in it, heroic when the scene calls for it, terror when the scene is supposed to be scary. I didn't feel it was sappy or underwhelming.

The music was better when it got creepy but it still wasn't enough for me.
The soundtrack for part 2 was a massive improvement but I didn't love completely either.

Thats one of the reasons I liked part 2 better doh. I remember leaving the theater and humming some of the music. Number 1 just upset me cuz I was thinking the movie would've been much more effective with better music.

My favorite Spider-Man movie by a land slide. The cast was pretty much perfect. Andrew Garfield was great as Peter/Spider-Man, still by far the best live action Peter & Spider-Man to me. Emma Stone was great as Gwen and their on screen chemistry was obviously very good since they ended up dating in real life. Rhys Ifans was perfect as Curt Connors, and very good with the few lines he had as Lizard as well. I also didn't have much of a problem with Lizard's CGI, overall it looked really good to me minus a few shots here and there. Sally Fields was great as Aunt May, Martin Sheen was pretty good. Dennis Leary as Captain Stacy was very good. Flash was really good, though he was a bit underdeveloped, but his scene with Peter in the hallway after Ben dies is the best scene from Flash in any Spider-Man movie. The only acting I didn't care for in the movie was the guy that played Norman Osborn's lackey, he wasn't very good.

The Lizard's plan to turn the world into giant lizards wasn't the greatest idea ever but I've seen much, much worse in comic book movies. Alot of people criticize the crane scene near the end but I thought it was a really good scene except for the coincidence that the Father from the bridge rescue scene just happened to also be the main crane operator, I understand why they did that but it wasn't necessary and would have worked slightly better for me if it was just any another random citizen. Minor nitpick but contrivances like that bother me in movies lol...

Speaking of the bridge rescue scene, I think that scene is incredibly underrated. One of the best dramatic/emotional scenes of any comic book movie and I'm not a person that gets into the really emotional type of scenes most of the time but that one was just a great scene. Peter/Spider-Man talking the kid through the van to save him was great.

The scene with Spider-Man and Lizard fighting in the Library was great, alot of the visuals were outstanding throughout the movie. One of my favorite Spider-Man shots ever was when we first really get to see the costume in this shot...

The-Amazing-Spider-Man-reflection.png

I also liked that Peter designed and created the majority of his own costume, was shown to be very intelligent by fixing the equation for the formula that created Lizard and was shown to be very much into science/photography like the comics. I liked the origin scenes of him testing his powers, creating his identity as Spider-Man etc.

The more serious tone was a breath of fresh air for me after the incredibly campy Raimi movies. The dialogue felt more natural, more like real people having real conversations compared to the Raimi movies where all the dialogue plays out like corny speeches or force written over-dramatic or campy dialogue dumps.

The movie has some minor flaws here and there but overall I thought it was great and it's still the best Spider-Man movie to me. I wish they would have stuck closer to this movie when moving onto TASM2, which was a huge disappointment because I loved where this series started and was looking forward to a few more movies with Garfield.
we have similar views here on amazing 1.it remains my favorate spider-man film.

One of the things I admire is that once he realizes the Lizard is his doing, he actually takes actions to counter it without forgetting it is his responsibility to do so, he acknowledges it and doesn't get a pat on the back for stopping it, that is very Peter Parker like.
Also, he did it late, but he finally did as his aunt instructed him to do.

This take on my favorite webhead never fails to bring me joy, even at the parts of the movie I find needed improvement.

This movie did great with characterization all around. It's one of the reason's I respect and admire this movie.

Watched this the other day as part of the Spidey movie marathon for NWH. It still holds up in my opinion as a pretty good CBM and Spider-Man film.

Agreed. There are several adaptation choices I REALLY do not like in ASM, but it gets the one thing right that matters most to me from the comics which is Peter's relationship with his supporting cast. They get the relationship with Flash right. Aunt May is really good. And Gwen, my goodness, just electric. Andrew gets the character and he gets a great portrayal out despite some really questionable choices from the studio.

I love TASM too.

I find it interesting how in some regards, these films can be viewed as somewhat 'soulless' corporately mandated filmmaking on the surface. And yet...these films also have so much soul in other ways, which keeps me coming back to them.

I love all the aesthetics and tone of the Raimi films. Every moment vibes with me, which I can't say about the Webb films (a lot of the comedy and lighter moments are kinda cringe, like in all of Webb's films), and yet, what the films have is a very relatable endearing character and story. At its core, there's something very real there.

The MCU films on the other hand, while neat in their originality, don't possess the believably personal core of the TASM, nor the enjoyable campy tone of the Raimi films, for me, at least.

To me the heavy influence of Twilight and (in the first film) The Dark Knight comes off as particularly corporate-mandated.

Corporate mandated? All blockbusters have studio mandates and interference in them. It's not always a bad thing, in fact there's many occasion it's saved or at least salvaged a movie. I'm a SW prequel fan but if the studio challenged George Lucas more we would have gotten better films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"