The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

I see a certain group of fans are salivating over this whole #BatmanGate thing. What a load of nonsense. Reeves was blatantly open about his key inspirations on The Batman, and a Zodiac style Riddler is hardly a new concept. Fans have been pitching that for years.

I see a certain group of fans are salivating over this whole #BatmanGate thing. What a load of nonsense. Reeves was blatantly open about his key inspirations on The Batman, and a Zodiac style Riddler is hardly a new concept. Fans have been pitching that for years.

If I thought they were vaguely willing to hear someone else out, I could 100% do a complete deconstruction of both of those videos in like 20 minutes lmao

Oh dear, apparently he has informed the FBI about Reeves stealing his script. I had to stop reading about it as the second hand cringe was too much.

Oh dear, apparently he has informed the FBI about Reeves stealing his script. I had to stop reading about it as the second hand cringe was too much.

What got me was his hyperbole in the second video "THERE IS LITERALLY NO WAY THIS HAPPENS COINCIDENTALLY!!!!"

meanwhile it is 100% possible it happened coincidentally because this is a character that is 80 years old and 2 people having similar ideas borders on statistically likely at that point

I had to check and see who, if at all, was covering this. Turns out it's just, as far as I can tell, Bounding Into Comics and everyone's favorite site, We Got This Covered. So probably a nothing-burger.

I do hope and believe The Batman 2 actually comes to fruition. It can't be immediately. Hell, think about how long it took for Reeves to finish the script for the first film, which only came out this year. Not to mention the guy's probably got other things to do. While I do believe other films have been greenlit [or at least announced] with much less already finished, hopefully we get to see more of Reeves' story for this Batman.

I had to check and see who, if at all, was covering this. Turns out it's just, as far as I can tell, Bounding Into Comics and everyone's favorite site, We Got This Covered. So probably a nothing-burger.

I do hope and believe The Batman 2 actually comes to fruition. It can't be immediately. Hell, think about how long it took for Reeves to finish the script for the first film, which only came out this year. Not to mention the guy's probably got other things to do. While I do believe other films have been greenlit [or at least announced] with much less already finished, hopefully we get to see more of Reeves' story for this Batman.

It's worth keeping in mind that Reeves had a finished script a year after he signed on and The Batman's development in the early stages was plagued by the Affleck shenanigans. Were it not for COVID, Affleck and even Matt still being busy with his third Apes movie in 2017, The Batman could've definitely come out in 2021 if not even possibly late 2020. So I'd say take the amount of time it took for The Batman to come out with some level of salt

It's worth keeping in mind that Reeves had a finished script a year after he signed on and The Batman's development in the early stages was plagued by the Affleck shenanigans. Were it not for COVID, Affleck and even Matt still being busy with his third Apes movie in 2017, The Batman could've definitely come out in 2021 if not even possibly late 2020. So I'd say take the amount of time it took for The Batman to come out with some level of salt

Wait, a script was finished in 2018? That's news to me if so. I think you have to take the Affleck thing off the table because to me that's when the project as it is, a full reboot, really began in conception. Seeing as he was busy promoting War for much of the later part of 2017, I always took it to be the case that writing began in earnest in 2018 and it would've absolutely been out in 2021 if not for Covid. By Reeves' own admission, he doesn't do a lot of rewrites/drafts and tries to get everything right on the first go, which is why it takes him so long to finish a script.

It IS kinda crazy how long of a road to the movie it was though. All feels like a blur now because of Covid. Still feels a bit weird to me that we've actually seen the thing when I think about it.

Oh, I don't mean to imply that he was dragging his heels on it or anything like, say George R.R. Martin. I just figured he took long because, this being Matt Reeves, he'd want to devote as much time and get it hammered out the best way possible, no matter how long.

Wait, a script was finished in 2018? That's news to me if so. I think you have to take the Affleck thing off the table because to me that's when the project as it is, a full reboot, really began in conception. Seeing as he was busy promoting War for much of the later part of 2017, I always took it to be the case that writing began in earnest in 2018 and it would've absolutely been out in 2021 if not for Covid. By Reeves' own admission, he doesn't do a lot of rewrites/drafts and tries to get everything right on the first go, which is why it takes him so long to finish a script.

It IS kinda crazy how long of a road to the movie it was though. All feels like a blur now because of Covid. Still feels a bit weird to me that we've actually seen the thing when I think about it.

Yeah, Matt started writing the script sometime in 2017 (some reports say March but that doesn't match the end of production for War) and finished it sometime in September 2018, with production intended to kick off in 2019 (casting + pre production) and filming began in January 2020. Without COVID, we 100% would've gotten The Batman in 2021.

Yeah, Matt started writing the script sometime in 2017 (some reports say March but that doesn't match the end of production for War) and finished it sometime in September 2018, with production intended to kick off in 2019 (casting + pre production)

Hmmm ok. Like I said, it's all kind of a blur now but I could've sworn that for most of 2019 we were still hearing reports of him working on the script. I definitely don't think there's any way he would've started working on the script while he was working on War. I think it's possible that after he submitted the first draft in 2018 is when Mattson Tomlin was brought on to help him flesh out the third act. Kind of piecing it together from that pretty long interview he recently gave with Jeff Goldsmith, that's what makes the most sense to me. I believe he said there that he initially submitted the first two acts + a very rough outline of the third act to WB. Cause if the script was 100% done at the end of 2018 I think they would've went into production earlier in 2019 and possibly wouldn't have been impacted by Covid at all.

Point being, I think it may have been closer to a 2 year writing process than a 1 year one.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he finished in 2019. Early 2019, then they had to find their Batman, Gordon, Alfred, Selina, Oz, Falcone, Riddler etc,

I don't mean the gifs are bad, but some just could be better quality! Like the one Reeves used for Andy Serkis as Alfred. It works, but it's so blurry and there are better gifs of Andy Serkis out there! :D

Shew, that toxic part of the fan base are really acting like Trumpers in terms of believing crazy conspiracies :funny:

Seriously doubt it comes out later than fall 2025. I’m betting for that summer.

Let the negative nancies who know nothing about the basics of screenwriting and studio greenlighting waste their breath on this. They’ll be typing away for the next year about how the Reeves-verse might be canceled. Meanwhile we know that nothing is actually greenlit until a script is read and there’s a solid idea of what the budget is going to be.

I even saw an artist I follow on IG say something today like “in what world is Joker 2 greenlit and not The Batman 2!! WHAT is going on!?” it’s like buddy...calm down. Joker 2 has a finished script.

I can't wait for an acquaintance of Reeves to tell him that he can use higher quality gifs for cast reveals if he wants.

I'll talk to him. :o

Untitled-1.gif

I don't mean the gifs are bad, but some just could be better quality! Like the one Reeves used for Andy Serkis as Alfred. It works, but it's so blurry and there are better gifs of Andy Serkis out there! :D

Haha, pretty funny that someone directing Hollywood films often with cutting edge effects uses gifs of that quality.

I can’t wait for Reeves’ casting tweets later next year.
Yeah I get so nostalgic about those times. Searching info on the movie and seeing the news of Paul ****ing Dano being cast as the film's antagonist which I wanted him so bad for a Batman film even before the film got announced. I was sure we were on for something special when that was out. Also when Colin was cast as Oz I was like WTF how? I loved those reactions and hope to have them again in the next film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"