The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

Barbarian director Zach Cregger is enjoying his new horror film being at the top of the box in its opening weekend, but his plans for the future extend all the way to the DC Films Universe. In a new interview for Barbarian's release, Zach Cregger spoke about what he's working on next: one project is a new horror film that's "way more ambitious" and "weirder" than Barbarian; the other is a film that is "set in the DC Universe," and would be a "Batman-adjacent thing."

Apparently, Cregger isn't just doing this as a lighthearted whim: he told Bloody-Disgusting's Boo Crew Podcast that this Batman spin-off is something very near and dear to him: "I wrote it and i’m utterly obsessed with it. So one day...i want to make that."

No further details on what the project would be or which Batman characters it was focused on. There's similarly no real indication of just how close or far away Cregger's film is from actually being considered by DC Films.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Given the company’s daunting challenges, it has become accepted wisdom at the highest levels of the industry that another deal waits in the wings for Warner Bros. Discovery. For reasons related to the complicated structure of that merger, no negotiations can happen until April 2024. But at that point, many industry observers believe that Comcast’s Brian Roberts will make a long-awaited move, looking to combine NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. Discovery.

That deal would face some interesting antitrust issues but would give his company scale and a viable streaming service. “Obviously Peacock sucks,” says one exec with knowledge of both companies. “There are some good synergies. I’m sure [Roberts] is licking his chops because the [WBD] stock is so low. And I think that’s Zaslav’s endgame. Get the place sold.” (Roberts and NBCU CEO Jeff Shell met with Zaslav and board member John Malone during the Allen & Co. gathering in Sun Valley last July, but given the rules against plotting any combination, that was no doubt just a friendly get-together.) A WBD spokesperson responds: “We are building Warner Bros. Discovery for the long term.”

Many top industry execs are so convinced a deal will happen that some are pre-mourning an event that may never happen. “People feel like it’s Comcast for sure,” says the head of one company. “It’s going to be so depressing to lose another major studio [after Disney bought Fox]. And Warners was the Tiffany studio.”

Given the importance of DC, it appears the top filmmakers operating in that world — Matt Reeves, Phillips and Andy Muschietti — will be shielded from that sharp Wiedenfels knife.

i-dont-like-cringe.gif

I dunno. On one hand you're right, but on another hand these acquisitions are starting to get gross.

If an acquisition is inevitable, Amazon or Apple acquiring the DC IP is far more appealing than Comcast.

Maybe for you (not me...both those companies suck as much as anyone especially Apple) but if such a deal happened Comcast is a much better choice for WBD than either of those would be. First of all you add a full fledged over the air network to your already 2 cable networks (TNT and TBS) and Discovery channel networks putting you on par with Di$ney. (not in dollars just in exposure) You get the entire Peacock/NBC catalog and can get rid of that streaming service (worst interface...ever!) or upgrade it. You would also gain access to every Universal subsidiary including what looks like Dreamworks and Amblin Entertainment along with all the IPs. (Jurassic Park, Fast and the Furious and the Universal Monsters) Universal and WB merging as studios would be gigantic...not Di$ney/Fox gigantic but pretty close and WBDU would own the cable rights to much of the US through Comcast. The two mega studios (WBDU and Di$ney) would be almost symbiotic with how intertwined they would be through various enterprises like ESPN and Comcast and so on. They would both be too big to fail...

Now, that doesn't mean I think this is a good idea cause I dont for much the same reason I hated the Fox/Di$ney merger. It destroys creativity and homogenizes everything. It puts way to much power and influence in the hands of way too few people. As someone who hates monopolies I would love a day when Anti-Trust suits were brought against major corps like this because it is dangerous (look at the banks in 2008, or any time when monopolies reign the crashes destroy entire economies) and this stuff is just getting out of control.

But since that isn't going to happen, then I would say NBC/Universal is the smarter choice than either Amazon or Apple.

Maybe for you (not me...both those companies suck as much as anyone especially Apple) but if such a deal happened Comcast is a much better choice for WBD than either of those would be. First of all you add a full fledged over the air network to your already 2 cable networks (TNT and TBS) and Discovery channel networks putting you on par with Di$ney. (not in dollars just in exposure) You get the entire Peacock/NBC catalog and can get rid of that streaming service (worst interface...ever!) or upgrade it. You would also gain access to every Universal subsidiary including what looks like Dreamworks and Amblin Entertainment along with all the IPs. (Jurassic Park, Fast and the Furious and the Universal Monsters) Universal and WB merging as studios would be gigantic...not Di$ney/Fox gigantic but pretty close and WBDU would own the cable rights to much of the US through Comcast. The two mega studios (WBDU and Di$ney) would be almost symbiotic with how intertwined they would be through various enterprises like ESPN and Comcast and so on. They would both be too big to fail...

Now, that doesn't mean I think this is a good idea cause I dont for much the same reason I hated the Fox/Di$ney merger. It destroys creativity and homogenizes everything. It puts way to much power and influence in the hands of way too few people. As someone who hates monopolies I would love a day when Anti-Trust suits were brought against major corps like this because it is dangerous (look at the banks in 2008, or any time when monopolies reign the crashes destroy entire economies) and this stuff is just getting out of control.

But since that isn't going to happen, then I would say NBC/Universal is the smarter choice than either Amazon or Apple.
Very interesting. Appreciate this post!

Thing is, I can’t change any of it. So as long as I get the movies I want, it works for me. I looked at every movie that WB has released since 2010 and it’s staggering how little I like from that massive list. The only movies I’m a fan of are some of Nolan’s on that list (and he’s gone), the few Villeneuve films he made with Warner (and Dune is a Legendary film too), Nice Guys, The Batman, Fury Road, Her and Joker. That’s literally it. The rest I can do without.

Omfggggg the watertower? At night??

Sometimes the night is cold enough to freeze water.

Mr. Freeze CONFIRMED.

Seriously, though. That’s what you guys sound like all the time.

On the 60's series Batman & Robin battle the Mad Hatter and his goons on a water tower/tank.
Glorious times.
Can the Batman 2 recreate this a serious manner?

Gee, pardon people for wanting/suggesting something fresh and new - and somewhat fantastical.
It’s fine to want that but you have to be a realist at a certain point. It’s like some fans are ignoring the facts. It’s possible that some folks aren’t up to date with all of Matt’s quotes and that’s understandable. But I’ve encountered a lot of people on reddit and twitter that have read Matt’s thoughts on this and still decide to ignore it in favour of whatever’s on their wishlist. It’s a disregard for the filmmaker’s vision after a while. I’d love to see some surreal occult stuff brought into the franchise but I respect the possibility that Matt is taking a more personal and tangible approach to everything. Each reboot doesn’t last long. Several years and out. No need to cram, just wait until the more appropriate reboot comes around that could organically include those monster elements. Otherwise you’re getting a Raimi-Venom situation where the guy has no interest in something but delivers it with zero passion...all because there’s a hunger from fans and studio alike. Not sure why anyone would want something like this from Reeves. That’s no good for anybody.

Also monsters are not “somewhat fantastical” :funny:

What gets my goat are the “the Batfleck solo movie is still happening” posts.

My favourite tweet I saw recently was that one #MakeTheBatfleck twitter account who, in response to a tweet claiming that Snyder Fans used toxic methods to get the Snyder Cut, responded by saying "what, like tweeting all day, getting a billboard made (etc,etc)?"

As if saying you "tweet all day" about a movie that hasn't existed since 2017 is something to be proud of

I’m willing to make a bet that there will never be a Batman movie with Azrael or the Man Bat. I’ll be 83 and checking the next version of Reddit through my contact lenses as i stroll down the street on me hover scooter, and fans will be begging the new director to include them in their next Batman movie.

We already got Man-Bat in BF and BVS (kinda).

I’d love to see both Clayface and Man-Bat in this series. You could ground Clayface, but Man-Bat would be hard.

We already got Man-Bat in BF and BVS (kinda).

I’d love to see both Clayface and Man-Bat in this series. You could ground Clayface, but Man-Bat would be hard.
I mean, we got Bruce’s imaginary internal metaphor of his Batman persona as a big bat monster in those two movies, and that scene isn’t even in the actual movie of Forever. I don’t particularly want to see Man Bat, but I don’t see a big bat in a dream as a win for the people that do.

In my head canon, this counts as Schumacher-verse Man-Bat. I know it’s not Langstrom, but it works for me. If they actually used Man-Bat, I’d imagine he’d probably just look like this:

upload_2022-9-20_20-4-27.jpeg

Yes, we’ve never seen Man-Bat officially. But the giant bat deleted scene in Forever almost scratches that itch for me.

Excited to give this a re-watch when October hits in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"