• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand (nor do I care to even try) how people prefer the home theater experience over an actual theater. Going to the movies is such a fun form of escapism, the lights, the atmosphere, the popcorn, the massive screen and stadium seating etc. It really never gets old, people need to realize that Covid isn’t going anywhere, it’s sad but true and we have to learn to live with it out there and defeat it over time, but hiding out at home 24/7 and wearing ineffective masks isn’t going to change the status of Covid’s relevancy. We have to get back to life!

If your mask is ineffective, you are not wearing it properly. *cough*

It’s sooo boring. We got a bunch of new info from a screening (some tidbits from the same guy that’s been ignored here for some reason). Aaaaaaand nah lol we’d rather go over the same cinema/Covid talk from months ago.

I'm pretty excited by the prospect of Bruce having a running VO narration throughout the story. It's something that's been speculated since Reeves first started talking about his vision, and something that immediately differentiates this version of Batman from other live action adaptations.

I'm pretty excited by the prospect of Bruce having a running VO narration throughout the story. It's something that's been speculated since Reeves first started talking about his vision, and something that immediately differentiates this version of Batman from other live action adaptations.
Yes! Also
Alfred tries to get Bruce to go to business meetings, but Bruce never shows up. Which I find hilarious. Confirms the city knows he’s in town.

Yes! Also
Alfred tries to get Bruce to go to business meetings, but Bruce never shows up. Which I find hilarious. Confirms the city knows he’s in town.
I hadn't read that one. That's awesome.

Bruce's public persona being less "Male Paris Hilton" and more aloof weirdo who doesn't give a **** about his family's legacy totally works for me.

If ‘The Batman’ comes to HBO Max, we’re one step closer to my greatest desire as a Batman fan: a live action ‘Batman’ series on HBO/Max. Reeves could retain creative/quality control, but other directors could step in from episode to episode. ‘The Mandalorian’ showed us more than any other show that a Batman series can be done well.

There are so many characters to tackle and stories to tell, I think the best way to properly do a Batman story is a television series. With the films, they keep having to start and stop, and a lot of the same ground is inevitably covered. With a show, you can have standalone episodes where Batman encounters the villain of the week mixed in with episodes that further the overarching storyline, just like in BTAS. Just imagine a live action BTAS series with new installments every year.

The wait between Batman movies is brutal… A straight up ‘Batman’ show (not Pennyworth, not Gotham, not even GCPD) would be such a wise move. Look at Mandalorian merch, it’s everywhere. Merch is where the money is really made anyways. If there were an easily accessible Batman show coming out every year and marketed correctly, it’d be a financial juggernaut. It’d be so exciting if they were to announce a new Batman series. Some of his villains’ pathologies are so insular that it makes more sense to tell their stories in a vacuum that could be provided by the tv format. A balance between plot heavy episodes and villain of the week episodes could accomplish what the movies never could.

What is VO? Telling the story like Memento?

Respectfully disagree tbh. I feel like the brand has already been so diluted, the fact that the movies will now probably be every 3-4 years (just because Reeves takes his time) is a breath of fresh air, to be honest. You really risk running it into the ground if you keep pumping out Batman, and honestly it's nice to have something that's all about the standalone cinematic experience considering everything else is worrying about being so interconnected. It would have been great if this was the only Batman we've gotten since TDKR, and it would be nice if WB didn't make any more Batman movies after this trilogy for at least 10+ years. Maybe I'm just weird though. It's already lame (to me) that there's 3 Batmen running around at the same time, plus all the other hundreds of shows. It's just too much of a money maker and it's depressing. Keep in mind there's also going to be Joker movies running concurrently to this, which is just so bizarre, especially when Todd Phillips inevitably introduces his own Batman.

I'm fine with a couple shows but I think it's really dangerous to the quality if you start turning into Disney Star Wars where 10 shows are shot at the same time, all meant to be interconnected, and I think this turning into a full on Batman show would only add to that

Last edited:
Just read the full tweet about regarding that shocking scene we were speculating on, and this part in particular caught my attention.

"I don’t give a bleep about Batman or DC and even I clenched on to a knee and was shook. It’s the biggest mix drop"

This does not sound like a Joker reveal to me, or a hint at the next movie. This sounds like it's specifically in regards to what happens in the scene. I'm thinking this is more along the lines of Seven's head in the box ending.

Just typing this makes me excited for what's to come.

Just read the full tweet about regarding that shocking scene we were speculating on, and this part in particular caught my attention.

"I don’t give a bleep about Batman or DC and even I clenched on to a knee and was shook. It’s the biggest mix drop"

This does not sound like a Joker reveal to me, or a hint at the next movie. This sounds like it's specifically in regards to what happens in the scene. I'm thinking this is more along the lines of Seven's head in the box ending.

I was thinking that but iirc the person later clarified that it did have to do with a setup.

Respectfully disagree tbh. I feel like the brand has already been so diluted, the fact that the movies will now probably be every 3-4 years (just because Reeves takes his time) is a breath of fresh air, to be honest. You really risk running it into the ground if you keep pumping out Batman, and honestly it's nice to have something that's all about the standalone cinematic experience considering everything else is worrying about being so interconnected. It would have been great if this was the only Batman we've gotten since TDKR, and it would be nice if WB didn't make any more Batman movies after this trilogy for at least 10+ years. Maybe I'm just weird though. It's already lame (to me) that there's 3 Batmen running around at the same time, plus all the other hundreds of shows. It's just too much of a money maker and it's depressing. Keep in mind there's also going to be Joker movies running concurrently to this, which is just so bizarre, especially when Todd Phillips inevitably introduces his own Batman.

I'm fine with a couple shows but I think it's really dangerous to the quality if you start turning into Disney Star Wars where 10 shows are shot at the same time, all meant to be interconnected, and I think this turning into a full on Batman show would only add to that
Batman being cinema only is odd considering the thing that really broke Batman through to the mainstream was the ‘66 series. He’s always had movies and shows, and it’s been decades since he’s had a solo tv show. I respectfully don’t agree with any of what you’re saying. More Batman is always good for me. I’m fine with 3 concurrent Batmen on film, Titans, Batwoman, etc; it’s all good for me as a consumer and fan. I’ve seen every animated movie show and read hundreds of the comics, it never gets old. Bring it on, the more Batman the better.

I am sorry but i don’t get how you can say things like, ‘give the character a rest for 10 or so years’ like we couldn’t all just die tomorrow. Or when other people say ‘save it for a sequel’ which may or may not even happen. Nothing is promised, just go for broke with these superhero movies. Over saturation of Batman is not a fear of mine. If Batman and Robin didn’t kill the character, nothing will. I want as much Batman as we can possibly get.

Last edited:
To me, in an era where every franchise regards its movies as "content" (gross) to boost their streaming services and connect to 10 other shows its a wonderful change of pace to have a Batman film feel like a genuine event. You don't get the crazy hype TDK had if there were 3 other Batmen in the 2000s. Obviously WB wants to make money but I just find this new era of interconnected streaming shows with endless cliffhanger setups super depressing, and I think the new multiverse angle DC and Marvel are using is super corporate and just enabling them to make as much money as possible.

IMO if it's true that Matt Reeves made The Batman with a budget of a mere $100mil, I think that will end up working fantastically in the film's favor under these circumstances compared to other far higher budgeted blockbusters in the works right now.

This is something I think sometimes gets lost in all the understandable excitement about the film: it's so bloody cheap. At least by Hollywood's standards. Batman films always tend to be paradigm shifters in one way or another for some reason, and I can certainly see this one doing the same thing in regards to what can be accomplished on a relatively low budget, without all the overblown CGi nonsense. The Batman doesn't have to blow the doors off the box office, or on streaming the way its contemporaries do. I would love to see it do well enough to change the game in terms of how much money studios invest into these tentpole movies. Could only be a good thing for the industry.

IMO if it's true that Matt Reeves made The Batman with a budget of a mere $100mil

But when this movie is basically a horror or thriller and just looks and feels like a regular movie (like Joker) instead of a traditional comic book, superhero movie, 100 millions actually is a high budget?

I was thinking that but iirc the person later clarified that it did have to do with a setup.

I didn't saw the original quotes so I don't have the specifics, but a shocking scene could still be considered as a set up for the next movie by its consequences/repercussions, isn't it ?
Or was the guy even more precise ?

Batman being cinema only is odd considering the thing that really broke Batman through to the mainstream was the ‘66 series. He’s always had movies and shows, and it’s been decades since he’s had a solo tv show. I respectfully don’t agree with any of what you’re saying. More Batman is always good for me. I’m fine with 3 concurrent Batmen on film, Titans, Batwoman, etc; it’s all good for me as a consumer and fan. I’ve seen every animated movie show and read hundreds of the comics, it never gets old. Bring it on, the more Batman the better.

I am sorry but i don’t get how you can say things like, ‘give the character a rest for 10 or so years’ like we couldn’t all just die tomorrow. Or when other people say ‘save it for a sequel’ which may or may not even happen. Nothing is promised, just go for broke with these superhero movies. Over saturation of Batman is not a fear of mine. If Batman and Robin didn’t kill the character, nothing will. I want as much Batman as we can possibly get.

The only time it becomes "too much" or "over saturated" is if the quality across the board is low imo. Otherwise, if they pump out high quality content then I don't think that danger exists.

Quality over quantity. I’m pro Batman on film.

Confirmed to be a scene that sets up the future. It’s something Joker related like a huge actor and/or my theory: a rogues gallery setup. A non fan went mental so I can’t think of anything else. Unless it’s some crazy casting for Thomas Wayne.

I didn't saw the original quotes so I don't have the specifics, but a shocking scene could still be considered as a set up for the next movie by its consequences/repercussions, isn't it ?
Or was the guy even more precise ?

Basically what @shauner111 just said, but the guy also ended by saying that he thinks they're going to cycle through all of the villains in the Pattinson movies. Which implies the big moment has to do with a villain (or two). Just imagine McConaughey Two-Face playing cards with Joker or somebody ala Cuckoo's Nest when Batman inevitably brings Riddler to Arkham at the end..

But when this movie is basically a horror or thriller and just looks and feels like a regular movie (like Joker) instead of a traditional comic book, superhero movie, 100 millions actually is a high budget?

I think $100mil is a fair compromise in terms of its budget, because from what we can see, it seems the film is still going to have its fair share of action set-piece sequences. Not to mention the fact that the budget had have been raised somewhat from wherever its original budget was during the initial lockdowns when Reeves opted to replace certain planned on-location sets he'd had in mind with new soundstage sets.

This is something I think sometimes gets lost in all the understandable excitement about the film: it's so bloody cheap. At least by Hollywood's standards. Batman films always tend to be paradigm shifters in one way or another for some reason, and I can certainly see this one doing the same thing in regards to what can be accomplished on a relatively low budget, without all the overblown CGi nonsense. The Batman doesn't have to blow the doors off the box office, or on streaming the way its contemporaries do. I would love to see it do well enough to change the game in terms of how much money studios invest into these tentpole movies. Could only be a good thing for the industry.

Yeah, I've been thinking for months now that we'll start to see a shift in terms of how much budgeting these films get from the studios in light of COVID.

Quality over quantity. I’m pro Batman on film.

Confirmed to be a scene that sets up the future. It’s something Joker related like a huge actor and/or my theory: a rogues gallery setup. A non fan went mental so I can’t think of anything else. Unless it’s some crazy casting for Thomas Wayne.

Would a non fan clutch their knees and be "shook" just because the Joker showed up? I'm not saying there isn't some set up for a future movie, but the shock seems like it's from something else entirely.

Would a non fan clutch their knees and be "shook" just because the Joker showed up? I'm not saying there isn't some set up for a future movie, but the shock seems like it's from something else entirely.
A big name for Joker would do that or Joker in Arkham with some rogues. It’s definitely a villain setup thing.

Batman dong reveal
4d0.gif

Or Alfred getting axed.
I've seen a lot of people talk about this and I'm not sure why that's the go-to. Is there anything substantiated to make people believe it's a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"