The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm torn on the R-rated thing. On one hand, we're hand a point where I think we can have our cake and eat it too, and we can have Keaton-Bats and the DCEU stuff to scratch the "Batman adventure" itch, and then have this be something that's super dark and not at all for kids, almost just like the "Joker" equivalent for a Batman franchise.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I think it's necessary to actively try to make it an R, and prevent a huge swath of kids from getting on board with 'their' generational Batman movie experience.

The idea of the movie being R-rated more because the themes and subject matter are disturbing, as opposed to it being overly violent with a lot of profanity, is an intriguing thought though. Personally I think there's a way to thread that needle and still land on a PG-13 though. I mean, the TDKT films blatantly deal with terrorist attacks and explore the ideology of terror, with 9/11 still fresh in the public consciousness. Batman Returns features a plot to commit mass genocide on children. I think TDK and TDKR were basically just a squib or an F bomb away from being R. You can ride that razor's edge effectively and bring in a wider audience.

If it gets an R, it might simply be because we're way more sensitive as a society these days, and I think definitely in terms of what parents let their kids watch.

I still could totally see this getting an R, and I'm wondering if Reeves will have the final say in that matter? Obviously they gave him full creative control over the movie, something he was very adamant about, but I'm curious as to whether they've landed on a rating yet and whether or not they are in agreement about it? TDK came very close to an R rating, specifically with the pencil trick scene. If I remember correctly, they had to shoot it a certain way to get that PG-13.

I still could totally see this getting an R, and I'm wondering if Reeves will have the final say in that matter? Obviously they gave him full creative control over the movie, something he was very adamant about, but I'm curious as to whether they've landed on a rating yet and whether or not they are in agreement about it? TDK came very close to an R rating, specifically with the pencil trick scene. If I remember correctly, they had to shoot it a certain way to get that PG-13.

The idea of Reeves wanting an R seems a bit odd to me, not sure I believe it.

If WB has given him full control, I figure he should just make the movie he believes in, and let the MPAA decide its fate.

Nolan being careful to stay on the side of PG-13, is because there was no way in hell WB was going to release an R-rated Batman film back then and he knew that.

tenor.gif

This being R rated would be a bang. Can't deny there's a chance, but frankly, Batman is too much of a children's brand to be a R rated blockbuster (at least I think that's what WB sees).

Who gives a **** about other people’s kids :funny: somebody had to say it!

Anytime I’ve ever had an annoying time at the movies it’s always the obnoxious teens trying to be heard. Let them stay at home to wait for the blu-ray.

I dont think it needs to be R Rated or not, really whatever happens will be whats best. I've never looked at a film and WANTED it to be R-Rated.

At the end of the day it could be R-Rated and make a billion but its undeniable that money speaks and it would stand to make quite a bit more as a Hard-PG13

I trust whatever rating it gets honestly. Whatever fits Reeves vision.

Rated r should be the goal.

And not only because of violence, but for more mature content. More stake for the character.

The thematic can go deeper and it doesnt have to please a younger generation.

Tarantino once pointed out that in an r rated film you feel more invest cause anything can happen.

We had so many comic books of Batman that had storyline incorporate deep and troubling image, I think now is the appropriate Time to make a film in this area.

And Keaton, Affleck can become the one for a younger audience.

I mean, every Batman film has been for general audience, it wouldnt hurt and Im sure it would make one of the greatest batflick.

A great movie needing a r rating is just nonsense

A film about a troubled man fighting corruption and crimes at night while also trying to catch a serial killer in a dirty city has all the potential for a great r
Rated film though.

It's not that impossible and it's more likely than it ever was.

As we know it, Logan, Deadpool and surely Joker paved the way
for this opportunity.

It may be too soon though for a Batman centric film, Hélas.

It won’t. Cross my heart and hope to die.

A R rated Batman where he says cuss words like an adult and you see his genitals would be cool, but that’s not happening in my life time.

It won’t. Cross my heart and hope to die.

A R rated Batman where he says cuss words like an adult and you see his genitals would be cool, but that’s not happening in my life time.

If you think Rated R is only associated with nudity and cuss word, you clearly missed the point of what Rated R can bring to the table.

It's about everything else in terms of storytelling but that. No boundaries on what can happen, much more suspense, much more depth and more place for visuals that can be haunting in a world like Gotham.

Look at seven, it's rated r and it's nothing like you described.
It's slow, it takes it time to establish the story, it shows you things you don't wanna see, tells you things you don't wanna know, it's a visceral experience.

In the end, I just want a mature, detective driven, Batman film.

And I would love to see one in my lifetime.

You don't need an r rating for any of that.

In terms of showing and telling, yes, you need it. Some things can't be said and some others can't be shown in a non r rated film.

The movie will be good with or without the rated r, I just think it would bring a lot more to the table than the past iterations with it.

Affleck, Keaton go on the more campy side with Aliens and Timetravel and Pattinson go for a more mature universe that close itself after 3 films and 2 seasons.

You guys are a lot more into defending the fact that you think it will never be rated r more than anything else.

We'll change subject if you prefer.

The intellectual property being what it is, a Batman movie will always have universal appeal even when made w/ niche audiences in mind. Here's the thing, though. In slapping an R rating on your product, the profit you stand to make from the younger demographic will undoubtedly be reduced. Sure, plenty of R-rated movies have been able to make bank just the same, but the fact of the matter is that virtually all of those movies could've generated reasonably higher revenue had they been given a less restrictive rating. And let's be honest, if there's one thing major film studios love more than money, it's even more money!

So, the way I see it, the likelihood of Reeves' Batman getting an R rating depends on a couple of different factors. Firstly, in the event that said classification is somehow necessitated by offending material (excessive violence, adult themes, etc.) that Reeves isn't willing to cut out for whatever reason, the studio would naturally have to back him on this. (And they will, assuming it comes to that.) Secondly, there are a number of conversations to be had between your usual Wall Street investors, higher-ups and bean counters. If these guys look at the finished product and collectively agree that it has the box office potential to rival, say, Joker—and they're okay with that kind of money—they'll sign off on R. However, if they want to milk the IP for all its worth, I can definitely see them pushing for the more family-friendly PG-13.

The intellectual property being what it is, a Batman movie will always have universal appeal even when made w/ niche audiences in mind. Here's the thing, though. In slapping an R rating on your product, the profit you stand to make from the younger demographic will undoubtedly be reduced. Sure, plenty of R-rated movies have been able to make bank just the same, but the fact of the matter is that virtually all of those movies could've generated reasonably higher revenue had they been given a less restrictive rating. And let's be honest, if there's one thing major film studios love more than money, it's even more money!

So, the way I see it, the likelihood of Reeves' Batman getting an R rating depends on a couple of different factors. Firstly, in the event that said classification is somehow necessitated by offending material (excessive violence, adult themes, etc.) that Reeves isn't willing to cut out for whatever reason, the studio would naturally have to back him on this. (And they will, assuming it comes to that.) Secondly, there are a number of conversations to be had between your usual Wall Street investors, higher-ups and bean counters. If these guys look at the finished product and collectively agree that it has the box office potential to rival, say, Joker—and they're okay with that kind of money—they'll sign off on R. However, if they want to milk the IP for all its worth, I can definitely see them pushing for the more family-friendly PG-13.

In better words, this is what I mean.

I know it's Hollywood and I know money comes first with these properties, I just think it's not impossible, maybe it's too early for a live-action Batman though.

But I certainly wouldn't be against it.

This being a trilogy may be a good reason why it may not comes to fruition. But with all those multiverse and iterations at the same time, one of them being rated r wouldn't be that big of a risk.

And we don't really know the budget for this once either. Do we?

Not directly related to the R Rated debate but at some point ID like to see Another purposely campy live action Batman. Even like a limited series, good but campy in 10, 20, 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"