DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

One would assume that the big one they've allegedly not announced is a crossover of some sort that would potentially feature Diana.

I was just thinking that. Did they mention anything about the timeline specifically?
Safran: This is a Game of Thrones-type story about Themyscira/Paradise Island, home of the Amazons and the birthplace of Wonder Woman. This involves all of the darkness, drama and political intrigue behind this society of only women.

Gunn: It’s an origin story of how this society of women came about. What does it mean? What are their politics like? What are their rules? Who’s in charge? What are the games that they play with each other to get to the top? I think it’s really exciting.

Safran: The events really take place before Diana’s birth.

It took them until 2017 to make a WW movie in the first place. She’s never been as abundantly-represented on screen as Bats and Supes. Wouldn’t expect them to start now under James Gunn of all people lol.

I would never hold my breath expecting them to but they need to change it. and fast. It's downright ridiculous.

Safran: This is a Game of Thrones-type story about Themyscira/Paradise Island, home of the Amazons and the birthplace of Wonder Woman. This involves all of the darkness, drama and political intrigue behind this society of only women.

Gunn: It’s an origin story of how this society of women came about. What does it mean? What are their politics like? What are their rules? Who’s in charge? What are the games that they play with each other to get to the top? I think it’s really exciting.

Since they’re basing one of their projects on Tom King’s recent SG miniseries, I wonder if this one will be drawing from Wonder Woman: Historia.

Between the “Lanterns” series being a terrestrial “True Detective” story about John Stewart and Hal Jordan dealing with an “ancient horror”, and “Swamp Thing”, a character tied to “The Green”, a cosmic force connected to all plant life, closing out that part of “Chapter 1”, I am even more convinced that my proposed idea I posted in another thread for what the first “Justice League” film’s threat could be could actually come to fruition:

I think it would be a good direction to take a few cues from “The New Frontier” and go this route:

The Centre

Eldritch, ancient, “alien” threat that’s been around for billions of years, since the dawn of time and the dinosaurs, and has been lying in wait, until it decides to finally wake and wreak havoc on the world, because it sees our potential to destroy the earth finally come to a head. Able to produce dinosaur-like monstrosities and other weird abominations and send them out as bodyguards/soldiers to defend/fight against any perceived threats. Possesses very strong telepathic abilities, which could definitely pose a danger against someone like Martian Manhunter.

Specific and credible enough as a first time foe for our heroes to go against, but simple enough without the baggage of decades of a bunch of comic book history. Does a lot of the weird, comicbook-y, Silver Age creature feature type horror and ickyness that James Gun really likes to have in a lot of his movies. Absolutely would require the need for all of our heroes to come together to fight it off. Also, it originates from the core of the earth, which would be a nice inversion of what the first Avengers film did with the threat coming from space. You could also have a bit of modern commentary on the environment and a large enough percentage of humanity simultaneously being so terrible and have the capacity for hate and destruction to necessitate eradication by something from the earth itself (I mean, imagine being so terrible to the point that the very planet that you live on wants to eliminate you), but also another great percentage good enough that our heroes think it’s still worth fighting for and saving.

You get kind of the “heroes have to stop big threats from destroying the earth” type premise, but with a twist. Also, with it being billions of years old, it could have knowledge of a multitude of other threats within the universe, so you could also use this film to set up future villains and other big bads for future films and crossovers. And, with James Gunn being a really big fan of the classic, very classic comicbook-y type stuff, the tone of this work would absolutely be right up his alley for what he wants to do with this universe.

Also, I just really love “The New Frontier” as a story and would like to see it adapted in some form or fashion.

Both of those properties both deal with very ancient, cosmic things that could very conceivably tie into the idea that I had very well. I could see a big overarching theme of this chapter being something along the lines of “fear of/venturing into the unknown”. Just looking at all the stuff that was announced, adapting “The New Frontier” as the first “Justice League” film would be a great way to tie all of these things together and be a great culmination of this first chapter of the DCU, as well as set up things to come.

Suddenly, the title being “Gods and Monsters” makes a whole lot more sense.

Last edited:
The treatment of Patty Jenkins disgusts me but I would adore a Gina Prince-Blythewood Wonder Woman movie.
She’s my top pick. I know somebody posted a quote from her where she said she wasn’t interested in sequels, but that’s just all the more reason to start fresh I’d say.

She’s my top pick. I know somebody posted a quote from her where she said she wasn’t interested in sequels, but that’s just all the more reason to start fresh I’d say.
And she can bring Lashana Lynch from her Woman King cast in as Diana because that woman deserves to be a major franchise lead immediately.

I would love it if they gave it to Coralie Fargeat but I dunno if she would be into doing a big superhero movie.

The treatment of Patty Jenkins disgusts me but I would adore a Gina Prince-Blythewood Wonder Woman movie.

Why though?

She was given full creative control of a huge studio blockbuster and made a widely derided film that betrayed the spirit of the original and divided the fanbase yet again (for the record, I don't mind it).

She had her shot and she blew it. I don't know why she shouldn't have repercussions for that. It's no different to the treatment of Tim Burton after Batman Returns.

Superman, the Batman/Robin movie, and the Lantern show sounds exciting.

The rest... meh.

Lanterns has me a bit worried...not really sure how this spins out into the Star Wars rivalling space epic that we all know GL should be...

Lanterns has me a bit worried...not really sure how this spins out into the Star Wars rivalling space epic that we all know GL should be...

Basically their way of testing the waters and see if the audience like Hal and John then if its a hit they will do a GL movie bringing them to space.

Basically their way of testing the waters and see if the audience like Hal and John then if its a hit they will do a GL movie bringing them to space.

I guess so, I just worry about the marketability of something as "cinema worthy" once its been on streaming :/.

Mentioned this before, but one thing that intrigues me is the worldbuilding aspect we seem to be getting w/ projects like Paradise Lost. When you build a house, you have to lay a foundation. And this potentially takes Marvel's formula a step further by not only touching on but thoroughly fleshing out the rich tapestry of DC's characters. Imagine being introduced to Vandal Savage in such a film, then seeing him reemerge in a modern-day crossover epic. If done properly, the payoff could be huge.

I'm all in. I've been hit-or-miss with DC going back to Man of Steel. I'm not an avid reader like I am with Marvel, but I always enjoyed movies like The Dark Knight Trilogy or the entire Timmverse. I was stoked when Snyder was hired, and they would build a universe. But ultimately, I never connected with their approach and never found myself as invested as I am with the MCU.

I enjoyed The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker, and The Batman, though.

From a big story expanding in one chapter i think a lot of people are overreacting.

First, they have to promote Aquaman, Blue beatle Shazam and The Flash, that's normal and it's the closing of an adventure.

If you listen to Gunn, he clearly said that The Flash would serve as a reset for the new DCU and I think we could see Ezra's Flash sacrifice himself to save the multiverse or something like that.

Also, we knew Gunn was going to use unpopular or unknown character from general audience and I think the announcement including a lot of these is for the fresh approach and deep knowledge of the material and how those will connect.

Lanterns being a show happening here is I think a great approach for the universe, start smooth and on earth, before going on a big scale space adventure. Plus they refer to them as cop, slowly leaning us into the vastness of the world.

• Clark is going to be a reporter trying to bring kindness to the world
  • the monster team up will be the outcast from society trying to fit in
  • Batman will have a father-son relationship complication with his past experience with allies
  • The lanterns will have to solve a mystery while dealing with their human live
  • The only team of heroes are uncontrolled, creating problems, a bit like politicians.

I mean, all these character will deal with human problems, which helps us care for them. Also, all these will connect and unveil the big plan for the next Justice League hint by hint for all us fans spotting every details.

We have to care for these characters and invest with them before thinking big and I think the Justice League film will take time to form because their purpose has to make sense and explain logically why they came together first. It looks like Gunn's world is already full of superheroes but it has no order in it, it's chaos, a big gray area.

And for those complaining the missing of some important characters, Gunn clearly said that he didn't reveal everything because he can't. Surely this has to do with contracts but also he specified that it would reveal spoilers about the story.

Imagine if in some DCU project we discover that this or that character exist and is going to have his own solo story soon, wouldn't it be nice to discover it as it was intended, while watching the freaking film?

I'm not at all sure about all this announcement, I'm sceptic and curious of where it'll go but at the same time, all we can do is wait and see.

For now, in Gunn I trust.

Last edited:
Not surprised Wonder Woman isn't here. Zaslav is probably just like Ike Perlmutter in that he doesn't care about female-led films. Surprised they managed to sneak Supergirl past him tbh.

Not surprised Wonder Woman isn't here. Zaslav is probably just like Ike Perlmutter in that he doesn't care about female-led films. Surprised they managed to sneak Supergirl past him tbh.
Funny isn't it. A few years back, with the success of Gal's WW, Amber Heard being favourably received as Mera, and the talk about Whedon's proposed Batgirl movie, many were predicting that a major focus on DC's female characters could be the USP to establish the DCEU's footing as more of a challenge to the MCU.

Because who needs a positive message about female cooperation and love?

From a big story expanding in one chapter i think a lot of people are overreacting.

First, they have to promote Aquaman, Blue beatle Shazam and The Flash, that's normal and it's the closing of an adventure.

If you listen to Gunn, he clearly said that The Flash would serve as a reset for the new DCU and I think we could see Ezra's Flash sacrifice himself to save the multiverse or something like that.

Also, we knew Gunn was going to use unpopular or unknown character from general audience and I think the announcement including a lot of these is for the fresh approach and deep knowledge of the material and how those will connect.

Lanterns being a show happening here is I think a great approach for the universe, start smooth and on earth, letting the audience discovering the world step by step and connect with the character before going on a big scale space adventure. Plus they refer to them as cops from a bigger thing, slowly unveiling the vastness of the world.

• Clark is going to be a reporter trying to bring kindness to the world
  • the monster team up will be the outcast from society trying to fit in
  • Batman will have a father-son relationship complication with his past experience with allies
  • The lanterns will have to solve a mystery while dealing with their human live
  • The only team of heroes are uncontrolled, creating problems, a bit like politicians.

I mean, all these character will deal with human problems, and starting the universe on earth is the best way to delve into this new world before expanding too much of the universe. And also, all these will connect and unveil the big plan for the next Justice League film.

We have to care for these characters before thinking big and I think the Justice League will take time to form because it will have to make sense what their purpose is and why they came together first.

And for those complaining the missing of some important characters, Gunn clearly said that he didn't reveal everything because he can't. Surely this has to do with contracts but also he specified that it would reveal spoilers about the story.

Imagine if in some DCU project we discover that this or that character exist and is going to have his own solo story soon, wouldn't it be nice to discover it as it was intended, while watching the freaking film?

I'm not at all sure about all this announcement, I'm sceptic and curious of where it'll go but at the same time, all we can do is wait and see.

For now, in Gunn I trust.

Well said! We have to build the universe. Even the MCU waited to introduce space. Heck, the first Thor film is set mostly on earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"