Sequels The Jane Foster / Natalie Portman thread

My first inclination is that Mjolnir gets fixed - either it puts itself together or a Wizard (Strange? Loki? Wanda?) does it.

I'm guessing Loki is out. Prime timeline he's still dead. Time stone is gone. Hela blasted Mjolnir into a million pieces. Granted that took place at the site of new Asgard so mjolnir pulling itself back together would be interesting. But it was forged by Eitri on Nidavellir

Would that mean the hammer has a sentience to it?

If it is her as female Thor then used forced perfective to make her appear larger. Like in Lord of the Rings.

I just read her recent post on Instagram

"Remember this as the before picture for when I get jacked"

it sound like Portman is going to try do this the old fashioned way by working out and putting on a lot of muscle and if she pulls if I will be impressed. the last time Portman was ever close to being in that that kind of shape was in Star wars episode 2. she will probably have to put on even more muscle than she had back then if she is trying look close to comic female Thor

well the way I see it Alicia Vikander was thinner than Portman when she was cast as the lara croft in tomb raider and she went from looking like this

https://66.media.tumblr.com/670962daa9729a5a2d953cafb5ce8355/tumblr_p74tjskLFx1rww2a4o2_r1_250.gif

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/23/17/13871308-7063771-image-a-1_1558629088258.jpg

to looking like this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/11/fe/4711fece51bab647ac70f8f9f4fef573.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...8679.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

if portman is willing to put on the muscle than I think she will be fine
but CGI is always in option if she is not up to it

I'm guessing Loki is out. Prime timeline he's still dead. Time stone is gone. Hela blasted Mjolnir into a million pieces. Granted that took place at the site of new Asgard so mjolnir pulling itself back together would be interesting. But it was forged by Eitri on Nidavellir

Would that mean the hammer has a sentience to it?

Aaron established Mjolnir as having a mind of its own during his Jane Thor run, so I'm thinking that will carry into Love and Thunder.

I just read her recent post on Instagram

"Remember this as the before picture for when I get jacked"

it sound like Portman is going to try do this the old fashioned way by working out and putting on a lot of muscle and if she pulls if I will be impressed. the last time Portman was ever close to being in that that kind of shape was in Star wars episode 2. she will probably have to put on even more muscle than she had back then if she is trying look close to comic female Thor

well the way I see it Alicia Vikander was thinner than Portman when she was cast as the lara croft in tomb raider and she went from looking like this

https://66.media.tumblr.com/670962daa9729a5a2d953cafb5ce8355/tumblr_p74tjskLFx1rww2a4o2_r1_250.gif

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/23/17/13871308-7063771-image-a-1_1558629088258.jpg

to looking like this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/11/fe/4711fece51bab647ac70f8f9f4fef573.jpg

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-pro...8679.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=480:*

if portman is willing to put on the muscle than I think she will be fine
but CGI is always in option if she is not up to it

I have to say, I liked Alicia's body before. I think she overdid it on the abs. I don't know if Natalie is going to need to do something similar unless she's planning to show her abs in Thor 4.

It'll be Portman as Thor, she's promising to get jacked for the role. I wonder if they'll tackle the cancer story. Seems a bit heavy for MCU and a lot for a single movie. If they do though, her contact with the Aether could be the cause.

Aaron established Mjolnir as having a mind of its own during his Jane Thor run, so I'm thinking that will carry into Love and Thunder.
In movies Thor's power source is himself unlike what is shown in that comic

It'll be Portman as Thor, she's promising to get jacked for the role. I wonder if they'll tackle the cancer story. Seems a bit heavy for MCU and a lot for a single movie. If they do though, her contact with the Aether could be the cause.

I can't see them skipping Jane's terminal illness - that's a HUGE part of the storyline.

In movies Thor's power source is himself unlike what is shown in that comic

Yes, but Mjolnir is powered up as well. Otherwise Cap wouldn't have been able to throw lightning at Thanos.

I can't see them skipping Jane's terminal illness - that's a HUGE part of the storyline.

They have to do it. The conflict of changing to Thor being the thing killing her would be a disgrace if it is dropped. The story practically writes itself.

You mean like they skipped Mistress Death's role in IW/EG? Or Adam Warlock's for that matter?

You mean like they skipped Mistress Death's role in IW/EG? Or Adam Warlock's for that matter?

Because Mistress Death is hokey and far fetched even for Marvel movie. A cancer storyline would be moving and resonant. They can even use the Aether as the reason she got cancer.

This is different. At no time did Markus, McFeely or the Russos say that they were doing an direct adaptation of the Infinity Gauntlet comic book storyline. And as it turned out they took bits and pieces from Starlin's Thanos Quest & Infinity Gauntlet, quite a bit of Hickman's Infinity, and mashed it into the existing MCU.

In contrast, Waititi DIRECTLY referenced Aaron's work on Mighty Thor. "If you know that storyline, it's incredible, it's full of emotion and love and thunder". What do you think he was talking about? You think Taika's going to strip out the most compelling part of the incredible storyline (his words), Jane's sacrifice? That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

She'll make her sacrifice
But then Thor will probably use all his remaining power to resurrect her
then we get Jane-Thor moving forward and a powerless og Thor

They skipped out mostly on Tony Stark's alcoholism. In fact, in Iron Man 2, he only seemed to be drinking to numb himself from the Paladium poisoning, but didn't seem like he was a full-blown alcohol who was addicted to drink. He never once seemed to absolutely crave a drink afterwards in all the other movies, especially Iron Man 3 where he was suffering from PTSD.

So I can see them skipping the cancer for Jane Foster. It might not be something people want to be reminded of when they go to a movie to escape, especially those suffering from cancer themselves.

Eh maybe
I will say I don't really trust Taika to handle a Cancer story with the gravity it requires

She'll make her sacrifice
But then Thor will probably use all his remaining power to resurrect her
then we get Jane-Thor moving forward and a powerless og Thor

I doubt it. To me this smells like a "one and done" for Ms. Portman. I doubt she'll be sticking around for Avengers 5.

They skipped out mostly on Tony Stark's alcoholism. In fact, in Iron Man 2, he only seemed to be drinking to numb himself from the Paladium poisoning, but didn't seem like he was a full-blown alcohol who was addicted to drink. He never once seemed to absolutely crave a drink afterwards in all the other movies, especially Iron Man 3 where he was suffering from PTSD.

The difference being Favreau never said he was adapting "Demon in a Bottle" for the big screen.

Eh maybe
I will say I don't really trust Taika to handle a Cancer story with the gravity it requires

As one of the few people on this planet that loved Korg's "as long as the foundations are strong" quip, I think Mr. Waititi is perfectly suited for handling the dark humor we're likely to see in a terminally ill superhero story.

Yes, but Mjolnir is powered up as well. Otherwise Cap wouldn't have been able to throw lightning at Thanos.

I mean it still sort of works. Odin used the enchantment as a restrictor plate on Thor in Thor 1, but it also has the ability to grant power to others it deems worthy which plays into the sentience aspect.

Thor is still Asgardian and the enchantment did lift his restrictions at the end of the 1st movie. It wasn't until the 3 that Odin told him, and he came to the realization, Mjolnir was a cap/enhancement on his powers not the source of them. Stormbreaker is just a new enhancement.

Last edited:
The difference being Favreau never said he was adapting "Demon in a Bottle" for the big screen.

Although Demon in a Bottle is the most famous alcohol and maybe even most famous Iron Man story, there have been plenty of other alcohol stories in Iron Man. One notable one was when he lost his fortune to Obadiah Stane, but the writers kept going to that well many times after. It's as if they thought it was Stark's most defining characteristic.

So even if Favreau weren't adapting DIAB, he could still have effectively adapted that alcohol storyline from Iron Man in general. But he never went fully into that because it didn't fit with the lighter tone of the Marvel movies. And the same could apply here with Jane Foster.

Although Demon in a Bottle is the most famous alcohol and maybe even most famous Iron Man story, there have been plenty of other alcohol stories in Iron Man. One notable one was when he lost his fortune to Obadiah Stane, but the writers kept going to that well many times after. It's as if they thought it was Stark's most defining characteristic.

So even if Favreau weren't adapting DIAB, he could still have effectively adapted that alcohol storyline from Iron Man in general. But he never went fully into that because it didn't fit with the lighter tone of the Marvel movies. And the same could apply here with Jane Foster.

Tony isn't an alcoholic in the MCU. He also didn't go crazy and be replaced by a teenage version from another dimension. It's silly to point out the many, many changes Feige and company have made in adapting the comics to the big screen as evidence that Taika Waititi will completely ignore a comic book storyline he directly referenced in front of a crowd of thousands in Hall H.

If Mr. Waititi wanted Lady Thor with out all of the disease stuff he wouldn't have referenced Aaron's work. I would be disappointed if he decided to drop it and I doubt very much that he will.

Eh maybe
You say this based on what you saw from Ragnarok.
If you watch some of his previous work you might feel otherwise.

Most people have a distorted perception of Taika as a director... mostly because of Ragnarok.
Before he even did Thor he was known to trade a fine line and balance between tragedy and humor. Granted Ragnarok leaned a lot on the humor but he's more than just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"