The Joker Thread - Part 1

View attachment 38967

I really would love lots of colorful patterns on this Joker.

I LOVE THAT.

Reminds me of Lalo from Better Call Saul. That would be so fresh. That's legit the first thing I've seen in this entire thread that I *really* want. I also like the dark red shirt Leto wears with the suspenders/gun holster/nathan drake look - something like that could work. That's one thing I did like about Suicide Squad - I like how Joker had different outfits and I'd like to see that, especially if this one has fancy taste in fashion.

Damn how has no one thought of Dafoe as Joker before

Just to spitball, before this whole MULTIVERSE movie reset, Dafoe was Vulko in the Snyder Justice League and Aquaman, and Jared Leto was Joker in Suicide Squad.

I think the other issue is that it's a bit of typecasting to think of Dafoe as Joker due to his rather ghoulish, angular face. Like it's a bit too easy.

That and literally people have been saying he would be a good Joker in 1989.

Just to spitball, before this whole MULTIVERSE movie reset, Dafoe was Vulko in the Snyder Justice League and Aquaman, and Jared Leto was Joker in Suicide Squad.

I think the other issue is that it's a bit of typecasting to think of Dafoe as Joker due to his rather ghoulish, angular face. Like it's a bit too easy.
I wouldn't really say it's EASY, per se. It seems super easy NOW, but back in 2014 for instance it still felt fresh, at least to me. I wouldn't be super duper mad if he was cast though. He's more than capable of pulling it off.

Last edited:
That and literally people have been saying he would be a good Joker in 1989.
THAT far back? I knew he was already well-known by then, but Jesus. At least back then it wasn't literally everywhere with people saying "This is what the fans want bro please listen to the fans".

Although, I will say that it's still probably the best idea they've had yet. I know that's not exactly a high bar ("THIS GUY WHO WAS A KRAZEE KILLER ON AN ABC TV SHOW NEEDS 2 BE JOCKEEEER IN THA MOOVIES"), but still.

I personally dislike what I posted for either universe but I think it manages to atleast be an update of the Classics. I'd prefer something like this for Reeves universe View attachment 38972
I actually have entertained the idea of a more Lee Bermejo-inspired Joker for Reeves' universe, but it's not something I'm super invested in. That look almost too much like everyone else as well as maaaaybe Ledger. The 80s suits and more modern suits with little patterns on them are more my speed. Nothing too stylized like the purple tailcoat with the orange waistcoat and green shirt with the bolo tie.

It IS a little frustrating not being able to find certain color and clothing combinations on the internet to really convey what you're going for.

Last edited:
So, pretty much Bermejo’s Joker with a haircut.
And a purple coat. That version wears a black coat. Still, I think it looks way too long on that costume regardless. Too overbearing IMHO.

I think the trick is to get into the psychology of the character first and then go from there. If you see him as a narcissist, for instance, that would call for a more vain or self-obsessed approach to his physical appearance and the like. Are you looking to reinvent him as a sociopath or a psychopath? How would such a man see himself in contrast to the world at large? What kind of statement would he be trying to make in dressing up like a clown?

I think the trick is to get into the psychology of the character first and then go from there. If you see him as a narcissist, for instance, that would call for a more vain or self-obsessed approach to his physical appearance and the like. Are you looking to reinvent him as a sociopath or a psychopath? How would such a man see himself in contrast to the world at large? What kind of statement would he be trying to make in dressing up like a clown?
I don't think it's THAT clear cut with this character, as Phoenix's outfit was pretty colorful even though he was just getting revenge and was more akin to a mass shooter or someone who was legitimately disturbed.

That being said, I see The Joker being a narcissistic psychopath who runs a gang. ASPD is a sliding scale though so I'm not quite sure where he'd land. That's how I imagine him in general, but I think it could work in this universe, almost like a cult leader. Since this is a more realistic universe in certain aspects, I'd imagine his wardrobe to come from his victims' closets and thrift stores.

Some of his suits are colorful, some are more subdued. Ideally, he'd be permawhite and maybe younger like Bruce. Thin and lanky. Particularly dark green hair, wears lipstick, maaaybe eyeliner. He looks like he has some form of albinism, sickly, like a creepier version of Leto's design. Possibly has eye bags. You get the sense that he hops around from place to place a lot, which explains some of the more worn out-looking suits while still having a chance to shower here and there.

I think he'd dress like a clown to promote his own brand of comedic violence onto the city. Maybe he sees Batman as an extension of himself? Not sure how else they could spin it.

I don't think it's THAT clear cut with this character, as Phoenix's outfit was pretty colorful even though he was just getting revenge and was more akin to a mass shooter or someone who was legitimately disturbed.

Oh, I don't mean the character as he's generally perceived in the public consciousness. I was suggesting that it might be interesting to take a slightly different or more practical approach to how he's been interpreted thus far.

That being said, I see The Joker being a narcissistic psychopath who runs a gang. ASPD is a sliding scale though so I'm not quite sure where he'd land. That's how I imagine him in general, but I think it could work in this universe, almost like a cult leader. Since this is a more realistic universe in certain aspects, I'd imagine his wardrobe to come from his victims' closets and thrift stores.

Some of his suits are colorful, some are more subdued. Ideally, he'd be permawhite and maybe younger like Bruce. Thin and lanky. Particularly dark green hair, wears lipstick, maaaybe eyeliner. He looks like he has some form of albinism, sickly, like a creepier version of Leto's design. Possibly has eye bags. You get the sense that he hops around from place to place a lot, which explains some of the more worn out-looking suits while still having a chance to shower here and there.

I think he'd dress like a clown to promote his own brand of comedic violence onto the city. Maybe he sees Batman as an extension of himself? Not sure how else they could spin it.

Interesting take. :up:

Possible angles:
Gang leader
Drug lord
^Both?
Serial killer
Convicted mass-murderer/Terrorist
maaaaaybe a crime lord (for some reason I can't see it happening in this universe).

If they actually want to give him an origin, or better yet, just vaguely allude to who he may have been before, then I think a sneaky, VERY morally-questionable Ace Chemicals worker would be interesting. A bit creepy and calculating, only truly relatable in the sense that he needs the money. A wizard with chemistry, but bends his morality every which way whenever it's convenient for him. Maybe he decides to make his job more fun for himself by having a hand in the "Drops" that could possibly be distributed by the Red Hood Gang (they need him because he's the only one who knows the formula)? He's perfectly fine with helping the mob stage a heist because again, his morals are all over the place, if he has any. But he makes it clear that he wants to be the leader if they're gonna ransack the place where he's starting to find his identity.

Batman catches them, he falls in somehow, comes out looking super pale and ghastly almost like a vampire, goes after the remaining mobsters because he feels cheated somehow (narcissism/acting out a revenge fantasy), starts to see himself as big a figure in the city as Batman, crowns himself leader of the Red Hood Gang, calls himself Joker and dons the lipstick, starts to wear more colorful articles of clothing with his suits, etc.

As The Joker he and his gang stage public acts of violence (arson, shootings, gas attacks). If they want to explain his craziness, maybe exposure to the Drops affected him? Maybe losing his life's work in that chemical plant caused him to have a breakdown? It could have even been his revenge fantasy going after the mobsters??

So, pretty much Bermejo’s Joker with a haircut.
No not really, besides the coat there's not much Bermejo there, I was more interested in the use of the Warm colors, it looks very comforting and a bit "sad" It provides a lot of nice contrast with what the Joker should be which is "happy" and abrasive while still offering a stark Contrast against Batman

Looking back, I think Nolan and Heath Ledger's version did a good job of updating and redoing Joker but still keeping the iconic elements, purple suit, green hair, face paint (granted paint instead of permanently bleached skin), etc.

Of the three updates we've gotten of Joker, I still think Ledger's is the best. Yes, even better than Joaquin Phoenix.

Looking back, I think Nolan and Heath Ledger's version did a good job of updating and redoing Joker but still keeping the iconic elements, purple suit, green hair, face paint (granted paint instead of permanently bleached skin), etc.

Of the three updates we've gotten of Joker, I still think Ledger's is the best. Yes, even better than Joaquin Phoenix.
STRICTLY in terms of visual reinventions the character's had so far on film, I think it's a general tie between Ledger and Phoenix. Ledger's design worked perfectly for the more "terrorist" angle they were going for with his character, and it continues to be an influence on the character's design in other media today (even if I'm not a huge fan of hobo Joker).

But part of me also wants to give the edge to Phoenix even though Ledger clearly influenced THAT design as well. Bruce Wayne put it perfectly when he said that it nails the spirit of the character more than all the other versions save for Nicholson and Romero. He's even wearing the classic orange and green waistcoat+shirt color combo underneath the red jacket! Leto's redesign had potential but they just took it too far with the jewelry and forehead tattoo even with the supposed context behind it.

If we get perma-white skin would you guys be into it being albinism? I feel if it's chemical perma-white, it should come with chemical burn scars as well... unless he has given himself perma white skin; skin bleaching is a very strange but absolutely real thing. If he is putting the makeup on, why not full transformation through his own means?

That DaFoe/Pattinson art is epic. People are arguing about how he’d be too old but I think with the right makeup Willem could easily come off as a 50 something Joker. Joker the same age as Turturro’s Falcone. Bring it you bastards.

If Keoghan’s Hatter/Merkel then I’d do dirty thangs to see DaFoe yell HAAAAAARRKKK in Batman’s face. You’d think the studio would catch wind of this and at least suggest it to Reeves. Christ. If you can change gears from Jonah to Colin, what’s stopping you brah?

I really dont want even a smidge of Backstory, I don't want a drug dealer or a gang leader. I dont want previous ties to crime or a sad story, I want him to literally pop up out of nowhere, like imagine the Dark Knight type party scene as his introduction scene. That's what I want

I really dont want even a smidge of Backstory, I don't want a drug dealer or a gang leader. I dont want previous ties to crime or a sad story, I want him to literally pop up out of nowhere, like imagine the Dark Knight type party scene as his introduction scene. That's what I want
Not even Joker himself as a gang leader?

If we get perma-white skin would you guys be into it being albinism? I feel if it's chemical perma-white, it should come with chemical burn scars as well... unless he has given himself perma white skin; skin bleaching is a very strange but absolutely real thing. If he is putting the makeup on, why not full transformation through his own means?
I could definitely get behind it looking like albinism but still keeping the chemical bleaching if they have to explain it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"