The Joker Thread - Part 1

Honestly, Pattinson would be a great Joker. It seems that the best Joker and Batman actors would be just as great in the other role. Aronofsky Joaquin Batman would've been crazy, although I am glad the Nolan movies happened.

Anyways, dunno if I can see Pine but he's a good actor and I would be down to see it. Besides Gyllenhaal who is an obvious (and awesome) choice, I want the Joker casting to be surprising and slightly left-field so ideas like Pine are fun to think about

You can change your accent all you want, that won’t stop you from sounding like you. You have to put the work in to change the pitch, the way you enunciate. He hasn’t proven to be that kind of actor yet. Pine is a movie star through and through. Brad Pitt would also be a bad choice for Joker even though he’s played crazy before and can act when he’s with the right director.

Just because you’re a good actor doesn’t mean you don’t have your own ticks that you lean on. Tom Hardy’s little crutches wouldn’t fit the Joker, or at least it wouldn’t be my cup of tea. Same with Pacino etc. They CAN play Joker hypothetically but i think their mannerisms suit other characters. I feel the same way about Pine. He’s a “cool” actor that hasn’t done anything interesting yet in his career IMO.

Give that huge role to somebody who isn’t currently playing a DC character. A lot of ppl don’t believe me here when I say Reeves won’t cast a big name for Joker. I’m expecting that for Two-Face as well.

Dude, you need to get off this mannerisms and ticks things. Pattinson has them, Paul Dano has them, Jeffrey Wright has them. You can see them all in the trailer. People where able to pick Colin Farrell out under all the makeup and especially because of his voice. It’s part of playing a role.

You can change your accent all you want, that won’t stop you from sounding like you. You have to put the work in to change the pitch, the way you enunciate. He hasn’t proven to be that kind of actor yet. Pine is a movie star through and through. Brad Pitt would also be a bad choice for Joker even though he’s played crazy before and can act when he’s with the right director.

Just because you’re a good actor doesn’t mean you don’t have your own ticks that you lean on. Tom Hardy’s little crutches wouldn’t fit the Joker, or at least it wouldn’t be my cup of tea. Same with Pacino etc. They CAN play Joker hypothetically but i think their mannerisms suit other characters. I feel the same way about Pine. He’s a “cool” actor that hasn’t done anything interesting yet in his career IMO.

Give that huge role to somebody who isn’t currently playing a DC character. A lot of ppl don’t believe me here when I say Reeves won’t cast a big name for Joker. I’m expecting that for Two-Face as well.
I can see that for Joker, but not so sure about that for Two-Face. Then again, that might be the hypothetical case with Mad Hatter

Dude, you need to get off this mannerisms and ticks things. Pattinson has them, Paul Dano has them, Jeffrey Wright has them. You can see them all in the trailer. People where able to pick Colin Farrell out under all the makeup and especially because of his voice. It’s part of playing a role.
Pattinson literally changes the pitch of his voice and accent in every single movie. His voice is completely unrecognizable in Devil All The Time. If you just went by audio you wouldn’t know it was him. Pine doesn’t have that ability, sorry. Ledger’s voice and mannerisms are completely unrecognizable in TDK. The only scene that makes you remember that it’s Heath is the shot of him at the parade with his makeup off. A complete transformation.

Colin was using a specific American accent that he’s used many times before, and he’s speaking with a normal tone. That’s why it’s easy to hear “Colin Farrell”. And still, a lot of ppl didn’t know it was him.

Dano has them and it works SO well for the Riddler. Same with Wright. For Joker, I don’t want Chris Pine in clown makeup because I know that’s what we’ll get. It’s not interesting to me. His approach to acting is great but it doesn’t suit the Joker.

I see a lot of Heath’s body language in his Joker performance, especially compared to his Lords of Dogtown and Doctor Parnasasususus characters.

Another hot take on Ledger: the real thing that makes his performance “unrecognizable”? It’s the makeup. Anyone is going look different with pounds of makeup on their face and mouth prosthetics. And you know who else will be wearing pounds of makeup on their face? Anyone who plays The Joker.

Another hot take on Ledger: the real thing that makes his performance “unrecognizable”? It’s the makeup. Anyone is going look different with pounds of makeup on their face and mouth prosthetics. And you know who else will we wearing pounds of makeup on their face? Anyone who plays The Joker.
And that’s my point. I’m not talking about his face. I’m talking about his voice and body language. We all know Joker’s makeup helped Heath disappear. He put the work into everything else in crafting that character. Could Pine do that? Possibly. But I don’t have faith that he will because so far he’s always just charming extroverted Chris Pine on screen. No variation.

You have to do more than just rely on makeup to make you disappear into the Joker. Pine is not Nicholson or DaFoe where his mannerisms fit like a glove. Not many ppl on this planet have that gift. If you don’t have it, you have to change your usual methods in order to play the clown prince of Crime.

I see a lot of Heath’s body language in his Joker performance, especially compared to his Lords of Dogtown and Doctor Parnasasususus characters.
One of those movies came after TDK, and the other one I never saw. So in 2008 when I saw TDK, if it wasn’t for the credits, and social media telling me who was playing who...if I went in blind into a TDK screening just like I did with Batman Begins back in 2005...I would not have been able to tell you who was playing the Joker.

One of those movies came after TDK, and the other one I never saw. So in 2008 when I saw TDK, if it wasn’t for the credits, and social media telling me who was playing who...if I went in blind into a TDK screening just like I did with Batman Begins back in 2005...I would not have been able to tell you who was playing the Joker.
Cool hypothetical, only problem is that could never have happened.

Pine as the Joker is never happening. So I don't see why either of you are wasting your time on this. :funny: Me personally, while I don't particularly want to see it, I do think Pine could potentially pull off a good Joker. You don't have to completely alter your voice or disappear into a character in order to give a good performance.

Also, I don’t think Ledger was that transformative an actor other than Dark Knight? The same guy who’s in A Knight’s Tale is the same guy who’s in The Patrtiot is the same guy who’s in The Order. He does different accents in Brokeback and I’m Not There, but he’s not disspearing into those roles.

Who even is that kind of actor these days? It’s a very rare thing. It’s not Caleb Landry Jones, it’s not Barry Keoghan. It’s not Adam Driver. And hate to break it to you, it’s not Gyllenhaal either. He’s been doing underlying creepiness since Donnie Darko. It’s not even Joaquin, whose Joker is cobbled together from better previous performances.

Who we got? Pattinson? That’s obviously not happening. Bale? DDL?

Cool hypothetical, only problem is that could never have happened.
Yes it could have because it happened to me with Batman Begins where I had no idea who was going to be in the movie that night at the cinema, and Nolan doesn’t do opening credits. If Joker was in that movie, I would have left asking who Joker was. And that’s somebody who at that point seen many Heath Ledger movies.

Again, that’s a cool hypothetical, but unless you’re Jared Leto coming back into a covid ravaged world with your cult, there’s no way you didn’t go into Dark Knight knowing about one of the most promising young stars in Hollywood, who was cast as the most iconic villain in comic book history, faced a huge backlash from fans, died tragically and then was praised for his incredible performance by critics and audiences alike.

Again, that’s a cool hypothetical, but unless you’re Jared Leto coming back into a covid ravaged world with your cult, there’s no way you didn’t go into Dark Knight knowing about one of the most promising young stars in Hollywood, who was cast as the most iconic villain in comic book history, faced a huge backlash from fans, died tragically and then was praised for his incredible performance by critics and audiences alike.
I remember Shauner saying a bunch of pages back that he went into Batman Begins completely in the dark because of what Schumacher did IIRC

Also, I don’t think Ledger was that transformative an actor other than Dark Knight? The same guy who’s in A Knight’s Tale is the same guy who’s in The Patrtiot is the same guy who’s in The Order. He does different accents in Brokeback and I’m Not There, but he’s not disspearing into those roles.

Who even is that kind of actor these days? It’s a very rare thing. It’s not Caleb Landry Jones, it’s not Barry Keoghan. It’s not Adam Driver. And hate to break it to you, it’s not Gyllenhaal either. He’s been doing underlying creepiness since Donnie Darko. It’s not even Joaquin, whose Joker is cobbled together from better previous performances.

Who we got? Pattinson? That’s obviously not happening. Bale? DDL?
He is absolutely vanishing in Brokeback. That performance is every bit as good as Joker.

Broadly agree though.

Vocally speaking Heath wasn’t always playing a deep voiced Australian man.

There are plenty of young actors who can play the Joker well. Complete transformation? Yes. Not a complete transformation? Yes.

Pine as the Joker is never happening. So I don't see why either of you are wasting your time on this. :funny: Me personally, while I don't particularly want to see it, I do think Pine could potentially pull off a good Joker. You don't have to completely alter your voice or disappear into a character in order to give a good performance.
Correct. But all I’m saying is Pine “not altering his voice” is not my cup of tea for this character. Joaquin did a great performance and leaned into his strengths (and he has a lot of them). But it worked. Is it a crime to not like the Pine suggestion?

Oh and Eddie’s “Joaquin’s performance was just past versions cobbled together” is a giant HUH? And he’s once again completely missing my point with his BTW everyone knew Ledger was Joker in 2008’ comments. Like no ****, my point is he BECAME the Joker. “Cool hypothetical but..” ummm there is no “but” ... i’m literally giving you a hypothetical and relating it to how great Heath was lmao smh

Pine’s not playing Joker so I agree that we’re wasting our time.

Arthur Fleck is the poor man’s Freddie Quell. Not cobbled together from past Jokers, cobbled together from past Joaquins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"