Far From Home The Official Spider-Man: Far From Home User Review Thread

He's a kid. He needs to learn. To grow. To become the Spider-Man we all know and love.

I know the books rushed Peter into immediate wisecracking manhood in the 60's, and while I don't really like the Tony Stark crush/dependency of MCU Peter, in both films, you can see the growth, especially at the end of FFH.

And I can appreciate the slow learning curve.

Just my two cents.

Saw Far From Home last night....it's a potboiler, like Iron Man 2 or The Dark World. Amusing enough, nothing special.

Solid film. Nothing spectacular though.

Next movie needs to move Spider-man front and centre of the MCU. Make the stakes higher, make it all a bit less lightweight and throwaway. I found it very hard to care at all about anything that happened.

Cameo was very cute, but also deeply, deeply stupid.

8/10

There seems to be some obvious studio interference and it wasn't Marvel Studios.

There is a ten minute scene in which a character all but turns to the camera to explain the plot. It's not Marvel Studios at their best.

“And now I’m going to describe everyone in the room, and what part they played, despite the fact that you all know each other already, so I’ll sound really stupid!”

“And now I’m going to describe everyone in the room, and what part they played, despite the fact that you all know each other already, so I’ll sound really stupid!”
I mean I've seen quite a bit of real life scenarios where people do this especially in workplaces. Jordan Belfort had a tendency of doing it.

Solid film. Nothing spectacular though.

Next movie needs to move Spider-man front and centre of the MCU. Make the stakes higher, make it all a bit less lightweight and throwaway. I found it very hard to care at all about anything that happened.

Cameo was very cute, but also deeply, deeply stupid.

8/10

Thing is, I think thats just the general tone theyre going for in these MCU Spiderman movies, “lightweight and throwaway” teen comedies. They have no intention of going into the heavier drama of the prior iterations. I’m 99% sure that the developments of the mid credits scene is going to be played mostly for laughs in the third movie instead of using it as a prime opportunity to dramatically up the stakes for Peter.

You worked with Jordan belford?
No. But people that did said he tended to so stuff like that. People in sports also do a lot of that. Motivational speakers, etc.

It makes sense too because what Mysterio's people wanted was validation and recognition, he provided that.

I actually thought JGH killed that sequence. What could have been the boring “let me explain my evil plan” moment became fun and energized, entirely through the brilliant “I can’t help but show off” characterization Jake gave Beck, and something that was perfectly in keeping with Mysterio’s character. Great scene.

I actually thought JGH killed that sequence. What could have been the boring “let me explain my evil plan” moment became fun and energized, entirely through the brilliant “I can’t help but show off” characterization Jake gave Beck, and something that was perfectly in keeping with Mysterio’s character. Great scene.

Me too. His kind of manic over the top delivery made it not boring exposition.

Me too. His kind of manic over the top delivery made it not boring exposition.
See for me I don't think that moment made me register anything specific about Beck or his personality outside of what the exposition laid out. I found him neither manic or over the top. And I didn't read anything subtle either.

I mean... That moment where he talks about Stark calling him unstable after he felt looked over for creating BARF, and Stark naming it so fell flat as a pancake to me. It didn't work as a look under the hood to his depths of madness or something and it spelled out things we were already having spelled out.

6.8/10

Felt like it really dragged for the 1.5 hours. Still a huge fan of Tom Holland as Spidey but I feel like the MCU has really failed to capitalize on Tom's acting chops. He's so natural as Peter Parker.

I would love to see Marcus and McFeely work on the next Spidey Script.

Yeah I am pretty much done with this MCU version of Flash as well. I was only meh on him in Homecoming, but he was even more annoying in this and it felt like he had even more screen time here which made it worse. Honestly, I think I might be done with the majority of the side characters unless they can somehow improve the writing and give them more to do in the next movie. I also really hope they don't bring back the teachers played by J.B. Smoove and Martin Starr either. So much of the bad comedy came from their characters being completely unfunny.

Agreed. Pretty much all of the side characters were obnoxious and/or annoying. I normally find JB Smoove quite funny but he was pointless in this and nothing he said was funny at all.

That whole sequence is the moment when the movie basically lost me. I was already having problems caring about anything I was watching and then they ratcheted up the corny factor with that.

I thought Keaton did a much better job of capturing subtle instability in his villain. I realize that's a bit unfair because it's Keaton, but Jake has accomplished it before in his career as well. And the defense of the exposition of his plan as some TED talk mess is more laughable than anything that happened in the film. It's a part of the movie that wasn't done well, it happens.

I liked the supporting cast in HC a lot. The race bending and diversity makes sense because Queens is probably the single most diverse county in the entire world. In HC also they felt pretty grounded and real.
In FFH though... Everyone seemed to lose their dignity and become a joke, and not particularly funny ones at that. This really added to the weightlessness of it all to me. Point blank, HC made me care. FFH was pushing jokes that mostly didn't make me laugh down my throat.

I used to have a boss that would call everyone together for a company meeting and do that. She said it was a great way to bring everyone together as one cohesive company. The scene brought back memories of work for me.

Ned was a better friend in this movie than in Homecoming.

Eh, I thought he was obnoxious in both of them, but he was useful to Peter at times in Homecoming, like hacking the "training wheels protocol" and granting Peter full access to his upgraded suit's capabilities (which they should have let Peter do on his own, IMO), and being "the guy in the chair", guiding him through learning how to drive Flash's car on the fly, etc.

He was actually arguably more useful in Homecoming than he was here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"