The "Re-Watching All of Smallville" Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Arkham Asylum Inmate
Reaction score
So I should have started this earlier, but who else is currently re-watching (or wants to join in re-watching) all of "Smallville" on DVD? The season 10 set comes out after Thanksgiving it looks like, so there is still enough time.

I've already begun re-watching myself... who'll join in?

Anyone else already re-watching like me?

Now that we have "the whole picture" we can see things we missed, notice things we didn't, find things we like more since it's over, or like less since we're re-watching. :oldrazz:

I started rewatching about 2 months ago but stopped halfway into season 1. I think I may just wait, until the complete set comes out, to begin rewatching the series.

Ya I haven't done any rewatching myself yet. But probably will.

Haven't started yet, too. I probably will after S10 is out on DVD.

I'm in season 6 already of re-watching.

I've realized one thing that I've missed with previous watchings...

Which is basically that Lana more or less knew Clark had some sort of meteor-freak ability from the season 2 premiere onward. She couldn't prove it. She couldn't even admit it to herself most times. But she knew. She knew he was there and protected her in that tornado, and even if she didn't go around saying so, she knew something was super about him. Because as things go on... she pokes and prods Clark more and more on honesty, but she doesn't challenge him or question him on any miraculous saves or such.

The 3rd season episode, where she's being chased by the undead-guy she got involved with from rehab, Adam, the episode where he finally dies. She calls Clark at the youth center, he appears across town in an instant, and she doesn't even ask "How?" and then, season 4 "Ageless" when they find the baby in the field who grows up instantly to 7, then 14, then dies at the end in a self-explosion of energy? Clark just appears atop the windmill, catches Lana, stays for the explosion and walks out of the crater all singed and Lana doesn't even bat an eye or ask "how?"

I don't know how I missed that, her knowing without knowing exactly, but... yeah if you look back, it's pretty clear. She knew Clark had some ability for most of the show. Just not what exactly, to what extent, the alien stuff. Post break-up season 5, she even more or less tells him. Just watched a season 6 episode, where she says "don't waste time trying to make up an excuse for why you want to know" or something, after the first Phantom absorbs the remaining power from the BRAINIAC "black ship" hard drive.

I've also found I dislike Lana more and more. She never used to bug me. Now? Concentrated via DVD? Oh man... shut up already!

Also, Lex gets shot. A LOT. Like, I'd forgotten how often he got shot. I think I just watched a batch of episodes where he got shot 3 times inside of 10 episodes, lol.

Ha look at how many times some one got knocked unconsious and went to hospital.

Certainly, Lex, Lana, Lois and perhaps even lesser degree Chloe, are all going to have Alzheimer's at by mid-50s... lol.

Didn't anyone else buy the DVDs each season as they come out?
icon_lol.gif
Is everybody waiting for the box set? :oldrazz:

If you've got the season sets and are just waiting for the last season (10) set like me, start re-watching now with me, please! :woot:

I may start popping in the DVD's once the realization finally sinks in next month that there isnt a Season 11 coming...

I watched Stray last night. I miss Ryan. :csad:

I finished Crisis last night. Still don't get how the phone call went through time.
@ Prison Mike
Wait till Ryan in Season 2. He'll be back.

The phone call goes through time cause it's Smallville, lol.

If you start expecting it to make sense, you'll go nuts. Some things you have to take, errors and "wtf?" and lack of rationality in whole, or you lose the ability to enjoy it. Such is Smallville. :)

I really wish the character of Ryan had been at least a season-long guest star or some such at some point. He was a good character, a good idea for the show and for Clark, and as poignant as his death was, imagine how much more impactful it would have been had he done more than 2 episodes?

Likewise it could have been played even more as a catalyst for Clark to realize, not even with his abilities can he save everyone.

Ya I wish they didn't kill him off. But from ryan to all the kids clark connected with tom always did play so well off the kid actors.

True, but few of those kids actors could really give back.

*Nudges everyone to start their re-watching early!*

I don't wanna be alone. :p

Just finished Season 3. Can't wait to watch Crusade again after all these years.

Ha look at how many times some one got knocked unconsious and went to hospital.
that was their go to move when clark had to show up and use his powers in front of someone. i always laughed when one of his friends was in trouble and he needed to rescue them. i knew they were gonna get knocked out. i think i mentioned it in another thread here.

oh ya i think folks were talking about that for yrs.

I've watched the finale several times.

But I'm waiting until October, then I'll start the pilot, and watch one episode each week, and try to follow how they did in back in 01. That's how I make Smallville last another 10 years for me. :hrt::awesome:

I've watched the finale several times.

But I'm waiting until October, then I'll start the pilot, and watch one episode each week, and try to follow how they did in back in 01. That's how I make Smallville last another 10 years for me. :hrt::awesome:

See, I can't wait like that. Not again, lol. When I re-watch a show, it's concentrated full strength.

I watch 2-4 episodes a day, sometimes as many as 6. I just began season 7 today, am already done disc 1. :woot:

I only own the worthwhile seasons of Smallville, 1 through 4, and have been watching them for a month now starting with the pilot.

I only own the worthwhile seasons of Smallville, 1 through 4, and have been watching them for a month now starting with the pilot.

Truth be told, I found season 1 to be a bit... iffy, because of the "freak of the weak" X-Files nature of things. Which they got much better at sorting out by season 2 onward.

Season 5 was good for Johnathan Kent's death alone.

Season 6... oh the wasted screen time with Lana. But at least it showed Lex truly beginning to turn to the dark side whole-heartedly.

When all is said and done, I think season 10 is my favorite for the simple fact that basically everyone ****ing knew Clark's secret. I disliked the lack of Chloe, but the fact of Lois knowing was just so much of a relief.

It's the one thing I hate most about live-action Superhero TV shows. They all always make a big to-do about the secret identity aspect. Though I think Smallville was the worst in this department because A) they over-emphasized it forever and B) there is no way in hell people wouldn't have put two-and-two together in a small town like Smallville after the second season of Clark Kent always being around when miraculous saves happen.

Movies and animated shows usually can't waste the time on the whole 'secret' aspect, which makes them much more enjoyable IMHO. Mind you the secret is important; but if you love someone, trust them, you don't keep something like such from them. IMHO.

Overall I liked the later seasons a smidge more for their more Superman over-tones and the earlier seasons more for their freshness.

Season 8 and 9, having a year-long regular villian with Davis Bloom and pre-General Zod... that got annoying, IMHO. Lex was the only villian who warranted regular status, IMHO.

Ya for me every season had there ups and downs. I can always find something from a season I enjoy. But on flipside can find something I didn't like either.

Also like someone side with the show being on reruns in oct on tnt, if they air all seasons they can be done within a yrs time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"