The "Re-Watching All of Smallville" Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found Chloe annoying until she found out, and fell in love with her character once she knew but Clark didn't know she knew, and how she just went along and covered for him and even screwed with him a little, lol. She was great once she knew and became the sidekick.

I think they thought/intended such with Pete -- to make him fit in more, they'd tell his character and he'd mesh better, but such didn't work IMO and maybe the producers too. Do we know why they got rid of him outside of our own ideas of why? Like was a reason ever given outside the story in the show why?

there was more to it with pete actor leaving then that. But i enjoyed chloe character through the series alot more then lana. After season two lana was pretty pointless character.

Season Two Lana was... um, hell if I know. She was like background mostly only coming out if she was in danger.

She was great once she knew and became the sidekick.

I found her to be a hindrance once she became a sidekick. In earlier season she might give Clark one piece of info here and there but in Season 5 it was like Clark couldn't go to the washroom without consulting Chloe. Basically her character got built up by dumbing down Clark

lionel luthor was my favorite charecter on smallville. Loved John Glover

I haven't settled down for a full re watch yet, because I want to try and leave it as long as possible so that it all feels like stuff I haven't seen in a while...

Trouble is, I keep caving into cravings for specific episodes. Like the other day, I just had to watch Exile/Phoneix. I managed to stop myself from carrying on from there and just watching all of season 3, but I need to get some will power :p

I do agree they went a bit over board with chloe once she knew but kinda got that in a good place season 8-10.

Does anyone know the behind the scenes dirt on Pete leaving? I mean, that's not the sort of stuff they're liable to publish anywhere, so it's likely to be rumor, but I'm curious.

I always imagined it was what it seemed on the surface; the character was not fitting, was becoming more difficult to write for, and so they tried the letting him know the secret angle, which didn't improve things, at which point they just nixed him.

Does anyone know the behind the scenes dirt on Pete leaving? I mean, that's not the sort of stuff they're liable to publish anywhere, so it's likely to be rumor, but I'm curious.

I think Sam Jones just got sick of the little screentime he was getting and asked to leave and they willfully let him go. I think it was simple as that.

I always imagined it was what it seemed on the surface; the character was not fitting, was becoming more difficult to write for, and so they tried the letting him know the secret angle, which didn't improve things, at which point they just nixed him.

The reason the character didn't work was because the show was more into pandering to shippers, then trying to tell the best Clark based storyline. I think Clark having a close male friend would have worked better for Clark. Sam's problem was he didn't have a pair of boobs so it was hard to pander him to shipping fans.

The show easily could have fit him in if they wanted to, but Chloe had a bigger fanbase so she got a lot of what should have been his purpose on the show. I think if the show kept Pete instead of Chloe he could serve the sidekick/friend role and since he didn't have a fanbase he wouldn't have been written to look good at the expense of Clark(which would have served Clark better)

Been re-watching since just before the finale.
I've stopped for about a month though, I was halfway through season 6

I'm in season 6 already of re-watching.

I've realized one thing that I've missed with previous watchings...

Which is basically that Lana more or less knew Clark had some sort of meteor-freak ability from the season 2 premiere onward. She couldn't prove it. She couldn't even admit it to herself most times. But she knew. She knew he was there and protected her in that tornado, and even if she didn't go around saying so, she knew something was super about him. Because as things go on... she pokes and prods Clark more and more on honesty, but she doesn't challenge him or question him on any miraculous saves or such.

The 3rd season episode, where she's being chased by the undead-guy she got involved with from rehab, Adam, the episode where he finally dies. She calls Clark at the youth center, he appears across town in an instant, and she doesn't even ask "How?" and then, season 4 "Ageless" when they find the baby in the field who grows up instantly to 7, then 14, then dies at the end in a self-explosion of energy? Clark just appears atop the windmill, catches Lana, stays for the explosion and walks out of the crater all singed and Lana doesn't even bat an eye or ask "how?"

I don't know how I missed that, her knowing without knowing exactly, but... yeah if you look back, it's pretty clear. She knew Clark had some ability for most of the show. Just not what exactly, to what extent, the alien stuff. Post break-up season 5, she even more or less tells him. Just watched a season 6 episode, where she says "don't waste time trying to make up an excuse for why you want to know" or something, after the first Phantom absorbs the remaining power from the BRAINIAC "black ship" hard drive.

I've also found I dislike Lana more and more. She never used to bug me. Now? Concentrated via DVD? Oh man... shut up already!

Also, Lex gets shot. A LOT. Like, I'd forgotten how often he got shot. I think I just watched a batch of episodes where he got shot 3 times inside of 10 episodes, lol.

LOL, I'm exactly the same, Lana just became irritating.
And Lex also gets knocked out easily with a whack across the back of the head too :doh::awesome:

I think Sam Jones just got sick of the little screentime he was getting and asked to leave and they willfully let him go. I think it was simple as that.

The reason the character didn't work was because the show was more into pandering to shippers, then trying to tell the best Clark based storyline. I think Clark having a close male friend would have worked better for Clark. Sam's problem was he didn't have a pair of boobs so it was hard to pander him to shipping fans.

The show easily could have fit him in if they wanted to, but Chloe had a bigger fanbase so she got a lot of what should have been his purpose on the show. I think if the show kept Pete instead of Chloe he could serve the sidekick/friend role and since he didn't have a fanbase he wouldn't have been written to look good at the expense of Clark(which would have served Clark better)

Smallville was just never very good at character based storylines or progressions. Pete was the most underdeveloped and underused character on the show... If not of any show I've seen to be honest.

A show like Buffy would have taken Pete and developed him. Like Xander, he had no powers and was only a side character that was part of the gang. But they used him so well, and made him relateable and interesting.

The only plots they gave Pete were kind of awful. They had opportunities to explore his feelings for Chloe, his feelings of being overshadowed by Clark, his fear of slipping up. And while those things were touched on, they were never given any depth.

It is a shame, cause I liked him.

But then with what's happened to the actor since, maybe it is for the best he left the show :(

Smallville was just never very good at character based storylines or progressions. Pete was the most underdeveloped and underused character on the show... If not of any show I've seen to be honest.

A show like Buffy would have taken Pete and developed him. Like Xander, he had no powers and was only a side character that was part of the gang. But they used him so well, and made him relateable and interesting.

The only plots they gave Pete were kind of awful. They had opportunities to explore his feelings for Chloe, his feelings of being overshadowed by Clark, his fear of slipping up. And while those things were touched on, they were never given any depth.

It is a shame, cause I liked him.

But then with what's happened to the actor since, maybe it is for the best he left the show :(

He got busted for drug smuggling, true story

Well there was a little more on pete/sam thing yes he did want more screen time and producers wasn't giving him it and he got mad and lead to issues with his contract and he became heated with al/miles.

The 3rd season episode, where she's being chased by the undead-guy she got involved with from rehab, Adam, the episode where he finally dies. She calls Clark at the youth center, he appears across town in an instant, and she doesn't even ask "How?" and then, season 4 "Ageless" when they find the baby in the field who grows up instantly to 7, then 14, then dies at the end in a self-explosion of energy? Clark just appears atop the windmill, catches Lana, stays for the explosion and walks out of the crater all singed and Lana doesn't even bat an eye or ask "how?"

In Relic I always laugh how Lana just accepts everything Clark saw as fact(given the history of the character that would be rather OOC)

I've also found I dislike Lana more and more. She never used to bug me. Now? Concentrated via DVD? Oh man... shut up already!

I think the main problem is once you see how the character turns out in later seasons you start noticing traces of it starting around Vortex. I think it was much easier to accept Lana how she was in Season 2 when watching it for the first time because you figured the show would have some sort of payoff for her curiosity, instead they took at angst from Season 2 and amplified it in Season 3 to the point it became overkill and it just turned me off.

Just started watching Season 1 again for the first time in a long while. It seems so odd to see Clark back at square one, but I still love the pilot episode to death. The FotWs don't annoy me as much as they used to, but I still find it interesting to see how the writers tried to get past dealing with them.

The accidental deaths I wasn't a fan of in the earlier episodes (although the comics did bring up Iceboy again), but I did start to prefer it, when Clark tried to save them more often. The first episode for that change, that comes to mind is the Amy Adam's one. Though there always seemed to be subtle hints, that there others being helped: invisible boy comes to mind.

I wish was able to re-watch the whole thing but I'm a little bit time cramped. I can probably squeeze in my favorite seasons though before season 10 comes out. Are there any networks on dish tv airing the occasional episodes? Sometimes if I'm not watching the DVDs I would like to just catch an occasional one on TV.

Last edited:
TNT will start airing Smallville on October 3rd at 12 p.m.

Once my new portable Blu-ray player arrives tomorrow, I will get back on this.
My other portable DVD player's lid somehow keeps popping open, even when it's clearly got weight on top of it to stop it from opening! LOL!
Was annoying especially when watching season 5 when it kept happening.
Then I'd have to fast forward to get back to where it left off :doh:
Can't wait to finish season 6 and move on quickly!

Man that sucks I hate when something like that happens or other tech glitchs.

Alright, so after two months or so, I finally finished Seasons 1-8.

Seasons 1-3 were perfect, though the Red K arc was a little too much.

Season 4 was, to me, confusing. Not only there was these stones of power thing, but there was Witch Lana. At least Lois and the season finale made up for it.

Season 5 was a step-up from 4, it gave us Brainiac and Zod, and it also made me miss Papa Kent.

Season 6 was a miss, I did enjoy the Zoner escapes but the Lana/Lex marriage really derailed my interest.

Season 7 was good, I did enjoy most of Kara's story but they just made her feel, more or less just there. I mean they could have had a field day with her teaching Clark the ways of Krypton. I really felt Lex really started to shine here in this season, rather then 6.

And finally Season 8. I kinda liked it. The Davis Bloome arc was an intresting on a classic character, and I enjoyed Clark being more Superman then being what he usually was. Also there's something about Tess that makes you not want to hate her.

Last edited:
I re-watched the entire series last year in preparation for the finale. So, now, I'm only interested in watching the stuff I enjoyed... like seasons 2 & 3, the football story arc in season 4, and the Green Arrow arc in season 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"