Smallville Re-watching Smallville Thread!

Brainiac 8

Clark Smash!
Reaction score
My wife and I have started re-watching Smallville from the first season. (We miss the show, and my wife misses watching Welling)

We just finished the episode "Fever" in season two and I forgot how fantastic some of the writing was in the first couple seasons. It had some formulaic problems but the characterization was all there and showed how they set up how the characters grew throughout the series.

Early Lex/Clark dynamic was fantastic. The episode "Ryan" still made me cry like nobodies business. I'll update with my thoughts as I run through the episodes.

Also some plots that they created and dropped that I wish they had continued with: Henry Smalls (I liked his character and he just up and disapeared, never to be heard from again) and Helen Bryce (Great character that I wish they had brought back after she disapeared)

I'm rewatching it from the start again too, I'm on season 2 just watching episode Duplicity. Its weird my favourite season is 9 but it was so addictive on the early seasons. Its amazing to see how the show changed from a grounded show with super powered beings not been that well known about to this huge DC universe. Its funny cause its hard to believe the JSA existed before this (as explained in Absolute Justice) yet as you watch the show it seems such a natural progression.

I recently rewatched Luthor and Kent from season 10. Made me appreciate Welling's acting when he's the bad guy.

Lex and clark and lex and lionel where some great stuff from the early yrs. Haven't watched the early stuff in ages. But have caught reruns on tnt of 8th-10th seasons when I am not working.

Season 3 is very special to me. It was so dark. Asylum and Memoria are one of the show's masterpieces. Also Lionel was at his best then.

Season 3 is very special to me. It was so dark.

Personally I find "it's so dark" many times more a negative then a positive. I think Season 3 was a good season if you were a Lex or Lionel fan, and to a lesser degree Chloe, but it wasn't really that great a Clark season.

I been rewatching the series over the past couple month(I have like 12 episodes to go) and I personally find most my favorite episodes are ones where Clark has limited involvement with Lana and to a lesser degree Chloe, as well as they stay away from any bigger storylines. It seems like more often then not whenever Clark deals with a new character who is just on for that one particular episode as the main a-plot, that's when Clark comes off looking the best. It almost makes me wish the series was Clark traveling around from town to town meeting new people and helping them out. lol

Last edited:
Those where good episodes, I also like a bunch from first/second season like leech, rouge, the one where chloe was kidnapped, and I got a soft spot for the episode chloe and pete got the alien parasite.

Season 3 is my second favorite season after season 2. Those were the good days.

Only thing I hated of those early yrs was lana after season two she had no purpose.

Only thing I hated of those early yrs was lana after season two she had no purpose.

Lana was much more tolerable in S1&2(especially Season 1) then S3+. You could make an argument that Lana was tolerable in S4 in the sense she spent the bulk of the season doing her own thing which didn't drag down Clark(although her stories were subpar)

Personally I find "it's so dark" many times more a negative then a positive. I think Season 3 was a good season if you were a Lex or Lionel fan, and to a lesser degree Chloe, but it wasn't really that great a Clark season.

I been rewatching the series over the past couple month(I have like 12 episodes to go) and I personally find most my favorite episodes are ones where Clark has limited involvement with Lana and to a lesser degree Chloe, as well as they stay away from any bigger storylines. It seems like more often then not whenever Clark deals with a new character who is just on for that one particular episode as the main a-plot, that's when Clark comes off looking the best. It almost makes me wish the series was Clark traveling around from town to town meeting new people and helping them out. lol

I agree, Clark did look best in these situations and also of course in his scenes with Lois. I always maintained that this girl brought the best in our boy every time, whether she annoyed the hell out of him or not. As far as S3 goes, I don't know, I started watching the show during S3 so maybe it holds some sentimental value for me. And yeah, I was a big fan of the Lionel/Lex dynamic, I always loved Chloe too. She never managed to piss me off really bad, probably because I've been in love with Allison since I was 15 lol.

My wife and I just finished the second season and watched the first episode of season three last night.

I forgot how awesome Jonathan was in "Exile." "You're coming home with me son...NOW!"

It was just such an awesome squeal worthy scene. I loved how Clark said that line to Conner in the last season. :supes:

I forgot how awesome Jonathan was in "Exile." "You're coming home with me son...NOW!"

Whenever I see that fight I just ask myself why the hell didn't you just grab a fricken piece of green-k and hunt down Clark, it would have saved us alot of hassles and reason for Clark to blame himself.

I'm currently re-watching Smallville as well ... currently at the episode "Red" (season 2 episode 4). The show deserves a lot of respect for having the guts to let the writers send the show in its own unique direction, which is something that hadn't been done since the first Donner film. The pulling in of dozens of other DC Comics characters was also a great idea. I was a bit disturbed by the rough treatment of Jimmy Olsen in Season Eight, and by his clumsy romance with Chloe, but as Joss Whedon would say, "It was a thing." I was hoping that Prof. Willowbrook and the Kawatche Indians would enter in somewhere toward the end of the series, since they were patiently awaiting the arrival of Neman, but Season Ten was full of enough story just the same. Happy viewing.

My wife and I have started re-watching Smallville from the first season. (We miss the show, and my wife misses watching Welling)

We just finished the episode "Fever" in season two and I forgot how fantastic some of the writing was in the first couple seasons. It had some formulaic problems but the characterization was all there and showed how they set up how the characters grew throughout the series.

Early Lex/Clark dynamic was fantastic. The episode "Ryan" still made me cry like nobodies business. I'll update with my thoughts as I run through the episodes.

Also some plots that they created and dropped that I wish they had continued with: Henry Smalls (I liked his character and he just up and disapeared, never to be heard from again) and Helen Bryce (Great character that I wish they had brought back after she disapeared)

Started re-watching and have just watched Season 7's episode 'Descent'!
EPIC!

The Lionel/Lex relationship is awesome and those characters were my favourites.

After re-watching, every episode seems to end with Lana and Clark in the barn talking about whether they were on/off or secrets in every season. :p That just kinda bugged me.

Apart from that LOVED THIS SHOW!

After re-watching, every episode seems to end with Lana and Clark in the barn talking about whether they were on/off or secrets in every season. :p That just kinda bugged me.

Those Clana loft scenes(or wherever they were talking about secrets and lies) always dragged down episodes for me, especially if it was the last scene of an episode. The worst part of those scenes is when you watch a bunch of episodes together you realize that they basically took the same scene many times changed the dialogue a bit but it was the exact same scene for the most part(Lana comes up to the loft, they talk for a bit, Lana makes a passive aggressive jab about keeping secrets, Clark looks dumbfounded, Lana storms off)

When I rate episodes, the very last scene for Clark is generally worth at least 2 marks out of 10 in my books how I rate an episode(great = 2, ok = 1, terrible = 0). One reason I think I like Lois so much is she generally got great last scenes(at least for those of us who enjoy the lack of angst and like seeing Clark happy) with Clark at the end of episodes in those early seasons.

Lana and clark was the worst handled thing for me. I rather have had them just friends season one, start dating season two, start getting more serious in season three. Then break up mutually(ie her going to france). Or if sam didn't leave start relationship with pete. And if she left we could have gotten into other relationships like chloe, maybe bbrought in lori(minus mermaid bits) and all that. That is why I still say I like how lois and clark was handled.

Lana and clark was the worst handled thing for me. I rather have had them just friends season one, start dating season two, start getting more serious in season three. Then break up mutually(ie her going to france). Or if sam didn't leave start relationship with pete. And if she left we could have gotten into other relationships like chloe, maybe bbrought in lori(minus mermaid bits) and all that. That is why I still say I like how lois and clark was handled.

I thought the relationship for the most part was well handled the first couple season, but they should have put them together in S3(instead we get a big kink in the relationship(ie Clark running away) and it was downhill after that). Most the angst in S3 felt like a rehash of the S2 angst, but in the case of S2 it at least felt like they were building to something, in S3 it was like what's the point

Ah the Clark/Lana loft scenes. It really used to bug me when some people said during last seasons that Lois started to behave like Lana. This is such a nonsensical ******ed statement that it reminds me how of all the types of fans I can't stand, the Smallville fandom is what I hated the worst.

Just watched "Delete" last night. That Lana/Chloe fight was as fun and awesome as I remembered it.

Adam...I wish DC would have let the WB do what was originally planned for the character, rather than what they ended up doing.

Hey did any one catch this past fri new csi ny episode. We had another sv alumi appear in the show. Our very own cyborg. I believe that makes it the 3rd or 4th sv alumi to appear on that specific csi show.

I've been doing a re-watch too :)

It's weird how distinctly I connect seasons/episodes of the show with parts of my life. I remember where I was, who I was watching them with etc.

I've been doing a re-watch too :)

It's weird how distinctly I connect seasons/episodes of the show with parts of my life. I remember where I was, who I was watching them with etc.

Indeed; heck, I had just finished High School not long after Clark had, so yeah, I definitely associate certain seasons with distinct parts of my life.

Whether for good or for worse, the show has definitely been deeply attached to my history, hence why it'll always be nostalgic for me, and it definitely took me awhile to get used to the fact that the show was no longer going to air new episodes anymore and how I wouldn't have to go through my usual routine on checking for spoilers or getting excited about the next episode to air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"