No Way Home The Road To No Way Home: The Previous Spider-Man Movies Rewatch Thread

Easily some of the best sets of trailers ever released, even to this day. They STILL get me hyped all of these years haha.

I still remember working at a movie theater part time when Spider-Man 2 came out. We had some tv screens hanging on the ceiling in the lobby that would play movie trailers on a loop. Whenever that Spider-Man 2 trailer (the same one linked above) would come on, I would drop whatever I was doing and just stare at the screen mesmerized.

sm2.jpg

The reveal of that at Comic Con 2003 generated some of the biggest hype I've ever seen for a CBM. As most of us know Dafoe's GG costume was not exactly well received by fans. So there was a lot of nervousness and low expectations about what they'd do to Doc Ock's look.

When they revealed this it blew the lid off the Spider-Man fanbase. People were floored at how amazing he looked. Plus they showed the clip of the hospital massacre scene to go with it at Comic Con. Only those who were there got to see it, but detailed descriptions of it naturally leaked everywhere and it sounded every bit as amazing as it turned out to be.

Magical times those SM-2 hype days.

Easily some of the best sets of trailers ever released, even to this day. They STILL get me hyped all of these years haha.

ah back when trailers pretty much just summarized the entire movie lol

I remember when the SM3 teaser released. I watched it everyday for months and was constantly on the IMDB forum discussing it

Just rewatched Spider-man 3! Everytime I watch it I am amazed by how absolutely dislikable Peter is in this movie. Besides Tobey being a very limited actor, this characterization of Peter is easily the worst in any movie for me. I just can´t stand this guy...
He kisses Gwen, a girl from his class, in front of a crowd with MJ watching. The guy is a lunatic! That´s like the most inappropiate thing you can ever do. He doesnt even have the symbiote yet... And then he is shocked when MJ is pissed! It feels like this guy didn´t grow up with other human beings.
Later in the film, when they meet in the bridge in the park and MJ is clearly going to break up with him, he is there looking at her with a goofy smile... Like, she is almost crying, looking like sh*t and he is there lookig at her like everything is fine. Can he read facial expressions? I dont know if the problem of the scene is Maguire, the writting or both, but oh boy... Seriously, though... this is not about how close he is to the comics version. I don´t care if he is not funny like in the comic books, or that he doesn´t create his web shooters, or any other crap... Its not about that. It´s just that I cant relate to his guy as a human being. Seriously, this Peter makes me so angry. :woo:

Oh, also, we are in the third film, and he stills acts like murdering a person is ok. And I don´t care about the influence of the black suit. He INTENDS to MURDER Sandman and, as far as he knows, he has killed the guy. Aunt May lectures him about how "killing people is bad" and that´s pretty much it... This issue of killing a person doesnt ever come back later in the film. He killed a guy! Now lets go dance in the street and buy some new clothes! :up: This film is INSANE :applaud

Anyway. Raimi is a great director but am I glad that he never got to do a Spider-man 4.
I think he likes to portray Peter as too much of dislikable loser. Maybe it´s just a problem with how nerdy people was written in the early 2000´s. That hasn´t aged very well for me in this trilogy. Also the whole MJ-Peter dinamic... Zero chemistry in there for me.

Still, the trilogy is great also thanks to Raimi The guy is actually one of my favourite directors ever. He has just the right energy and he also has the advantage of being the first to bring Spider-man in the big screen. Nostalgia is a BIG saving grace for these films. The writing and Maguie are the worst parts for me. Raimi and his sense of wonder still make the movies (the first two) a great watch, up there with Donner´s Superman or Burton´s Batman. I dont consider any of those the best adaptation of any of those characters, yet they are classic superhero movies.

Those trailers were great but I'm glad they are not like that now a days. They just spoiled the entire plot in the trailer.

Anyway. Raimi is a great director but am I glad that he never got to do a Spider-man 4.
I think he likes to portray Peter as too much of dislikable loser. Maybe it´s just a problem with how nerdy people was written in the early 2000´s. That hasn´t aged very well for me in this trilogy. Also the whole MJ-Peter dinamic... Zero chemistry in there for me.

I actually thought that portrayal of a nerd was dated by 2002. I watched kids movies in the early 90s that portrayed nerds in that way and it had become abit of an overused cliche by even 1998.

Its one of the things that bugged me about Toby's portrayal. It often felt like he was playing the Cliche character of films i had seen many times before.

Last edited:
The only SM movies that I find of any interest are SM 1 and 2. 3, frankly, sucked. While I really like Garfield, I found TASM 1 too much of a rehash and 2 was an absolute S*** show. I could be talked into rewatching the MCU SM movies.

The rewatch continued tonight with SM3. Its a mixed bag for sure. I love being in the Raim-verse, but I did not like how certain characters were handled in this film (mainly Peter and MJ). Sandman was great and overall its still entertaining even if frustrating at times.

7.5/10

The rewatch continues next weekend with TASM, TASM 2 and HC.

My dad and I started our Spider-Man rewatch and have gone through SM 1 and 2.

SM1 was great. Good start to Raimi’s Spider-Man with a good introduction to the main cast, a great Spidey, a fantastic Green Goblin, good story, and great action. It’s definitely not the best, but it is FAR from bad. 8/10.

SM2 was also great. Expanded upon everything about SM1 fantastically and had some amazing additions. Doc Ock is the best Spidey villain and the fights were AMAZING. The title of “Best Spider-Man movie” goes to another film, though. 9/10.

We’re going to start on 3 tonight! :D:

The only SM movies that I find of any interest are SM 1 and 2. 3, frankly, sucked. While I really like Garfield, I found TASM 1 too much of a rehash and 2 was an absolute S*** show. I could be talked into rewatching the MCU SM movies.

The only thing I dislike about Raimi Spider-Man fans is trying to make Spider-Man 3 into a good movie, or misunderstood.

It's a bad movie that's a complete narrative mess that does zero justice to any of it's characters.

Granted, I think the SM3 memes are hilarious and nostalgia for Raimi Spider-man has certainly mellowed me on the film, but it's not a good movie by any means.

The only thing I dislike about Raimi Spider-Man fans is trying to make Spider-Man 3 into a good movie, or misunderstood.

It's a bad movie that's a complete narrative mess that does zero justice to any of it's characters.

Granted, I think the SM3 memes are hilarious and nostalgia for Raimi Spider-man has certainly mellowed me on the film, but it's not a good movie by any means.

I couldn't disagree more. Spider-Man 3 despite all the mess behind the scenes is still very watchable and entertaining movie that even with too much plot points is still very easy to follow.

I will repeat myself. I love this frankenstein's monster, I loved it even before "memes".

I couldn't disagree more. Spider-Man 3 despite all the mess behind the scenes is still very watchable and entertaining movie that even with too much plot points is still very easy to follow.

I will repeat myself. I love this frankenstein's monster, I loved it even before "memes".

Saying a movie isn't unwatchable doesn't mean it's good. There are plenty of bad movies that are watchable.

Even without the studio interference (ironically, Sandman feels more forced into the story than Venom does) Raimi himself made plenty of stupid choices, both in direction and writing.

While I tend to really like the MCU movies because I mostly read their comics when I was a kid, I don't actively root against ANY movie to fail. To me, it's just about whether or not I like the movie. I didn't like SM3, but that's not to say it doesn't have any redeeming qualities. Now, TASM2 might have some redeeming qualities, but I just can't think of what they are. :funny:

Whenever i think of SM3 the scene that always comes to mind for me is when Harry makes MJ break up with Peter while he watches from a distance in the park. Because i can't believe that actually made it to screen. I can't believe that made sense to anyone making the movie. But somehow it did. Harry casually standing far away. wasn't holding a gun to MJ's head or anything. and MJ breaks up with peter rather than telling him whats going on.

That scene there tells me how messy the film was. I don't feel like i need anymore than that tbh.

But you know what? I been a fan of the black suit story since i was a kid, so that gives the film brownie points to be the better Raimi movie out of the 3. Its basically a comedy that wasn't trying to be a comedy. So if you accept its a ridiculous movie. its not to bad.

Last edited:

Big step down from the other rami movies and my least favorite spiderman movie over all but I cant say its a bad movie has it still does some stuff well. Great soundtrack, love that Harry comes back at the end. Great action.

Just finished watching far from home a few hours ago now done with re watching all 8 movies including no way home ready for Thursday and no way home now. Still love far from home and its pretty crazy how much better the action was compared to home coming.

People always blame Venom being "forced on" Raimi as the reason for why Spider-Man 3 isn't very good, but if you think about it, the bulk of the movie is about Peter being an *******, so Venom being a dark mirror to Spider-Man made him the perfect choice for the villain for the movie, but Raimi was more interested in ruining Spider-Man's origin story with the Sandman storyline, which wasn't a studio mandate but his idea from the start. Maybe if they cut Sandman out (because we had way too many villains in the movie) and cut out that retcon to the origin, and beefed up Eddie Brock's role, maybe part three would've been a better movie.

People always blame Venom being "forced on" Raimi as the reason for why Spider-Man 3 isn't very good, but if you think about it, the bulk of the movie is about Peter being an *******, so Venom being a dark mirror to Spider-Man made him the perfect choice for the villain for the movie, but Raimi was more interested in ruining Spider-Man's origin story with the Sandman storyline, which wasn't a studio mandate but his idea from the start. Maybe if they cut Sandman out (because we had way too many villains in the movie) and cut out that retcon to the origin, and beefed up Eddie Brock's role, maybe part three would've been a better movie.

I have literally been saying this forever.

The person who feels forced into the movie is Sandman, especially with the monumentally stupid Uncle Ben retcon.

Big step down from the other rami movies and my least favorite spiderman movie over all but I cant say its a bad movie has it still does some stuff well. Great soundtrack, love that Harry comes back at the end. Great action.

I disagree about SM3's soundtrack being great. Besides the symbiote and Sandman themes, nothing sticks out for me. Young replacing Elfman was very noticeable.

From the moment the Marvel logo appears and the heavy bass from SM1 and SM2's drums was replaced with a lower pitched sound, I knew something was going to be wrong with the score.

I disagree about SM3's soundtrack being great. Besides the symbiote and Sandman themes, nothing sticks out for me. Young replacing Elfman was very noticeable.

From the moment the Marvel logo appears and the heavy bass from SM1 and SM2's drums was replaced with a lower pitched sound, I knew something was going to be wrong with the score.

I like Youngs score more so I dont know lol

TASM2 complete! Its messy and has some flaws, but this movie also has some of best stuff in any Spider-Man film.

- Best Suit
- Electro VFX are top notch
- Best Web Slinging
- Peter/Gwen again are fantastic
- Gwen's death is handled brilliantly/tragically

8.5/10

Homecoming tomorrow and FFH on Wednesday! I haven't seen either since 2019, so it will be interesting to catch up.

I really love TASM2, it's so messy, but because still very enjoyable for me.

Spider-Man 3 is a mixed bag for me. Not as bad as when people first saw it but not this underappreciated flawed but good movie revisionism has made it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"