No Way Home The Road To No Way Home: The Previous Spider-Man Movies Rewatch Thread

Watched them all again a few months ago and my ranking hasn't really changed. I think most of them hold up really well. Also chucked in the 2 Venom movies after seeing Let There Be Carnage last week. Still....I really hate rankings. The entires on the lower end always get the short end of the stick no matter how much I may enjoy them; I just don't think it covers the nuance of my experience with movies (or any medium) in a franchise. So I'll give my rankings with a rating next to them to give a better understanding of how I measure their quality.

Into the Spider-Verse - 10/10
Spider-Man 2 - 9/10
Far From Home - 8/10
Homecoming - 8/10
Spider-Man - 7/10
Spider-Man 3 - 7/10
The Amazing Spider-Man - 6/10
Venom: Let There Be Carnage - 6/10
Venom - 5/10 as a proper movie but 10/10 as a dumb comedy
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - 5/10

So yeah, Spider-Man movies: at least mid tier but mostly above average movies. Bring on No Way Home! I plan to watch them all again (minus Venom probably) in a marathon with some friends before we head to the cinema on opening night. Super excited :woo:

Plus I appreciate the duality of Peter / Spider-Man. Spider-Man feels like a different person almost completely detached from Peter. Tobey and Tom don't have that..

And Spider-Man actually jokes!

I think Andrew embodies the role of Spider-man. Tom comes pretty close to doing it also. Although the MCU plays more on his innocence and naivety. Even when in the suit.

Last edited:
Almost done with my rewatch marathon and its dawning on me how much of a purist I am for this character. There's not a single live action film on Spider-Man that doesn't have an element that really frustrates me. Even Spider-man 2, a film that I love, the portrayal/writing of MJ and Peter trying to move in on an engaged woman really annoys me. Homecoming, which continues to be an objectively easy watch, is becoming more of a chore to sit through. Still like Far From Home a good bit though.

As it goes, the rewatch continues to reinforce my rankings of the portrayals and films.

Portrayal:
1) Andrew
2) Holland
3) Tobey

Films:
1) Into the Spiderverse
2) Spider-Man 2
3) TASM
4) Spider-Man
5) Far From Home
6) Homecoming
7) TASM2
8) Spider-man 3

Plus Andrew's portrayal of Peter and Spidey. I know people hate the skateboarding "cool guy" Peter Parker but I like it a lot. He's not really a cool guy. He's still an outcast. It's still Peter Parker. Just a more modernized 2012 take.

Plus I appreciate the duality of Peter / Spider-Man. Spider-Man feels like a different person almost completely detached from Peter.

I'm someone who doesn't like skateboarding Peter or that poofy hair. These and some other choices in the ASM series all feel like out of touch Sony execs spitballing ways to relate to kids.

Regardless, if you take away all that noise, and read into the details of the performance, it shows how much Andrew understands the Peter and Spider-Man characters. Peter was always likable but also a bit of a jerk, which is a tricky thing to portray but Andrew nails it for me. I love Garfield in the role. Listen to interviews when he talks about Spider-Man, he gets it. It's just frustrating he's saddled with either bad/reactionary adapation choices or a mess of a film (IMO) in ASM2.

Almost done with my rewatch marathon and its dawning on me how much of a purist I am for this character. There's not a single live action film on Spider-Man that doesn't have an element that really frustrates me. Even Spider-man 2, a film that I love, the portrayal/writing of MJ and Peter trying to move in on an engaged woman really annoys me. Homecoming, which continues to be an objectively easy watch, is becoming more of a chore to sit through. Still like Far From Home a good bit though.

As it goes, the rewatch continues to reinforce my rankings of the portrayals and films.

Portrayal:
1) Andrew
2) Holland
3) Tobey

Films:
1) Into the Spiderverse
2) Spider-Man 2
3) TASM
4) Spider-Man
5) Far From Home
6) Homecoming
7) TASM2
8) Spider-man 3

I'm someone who doesn't like skateboarding Peter or that poofy hair. These and some other choices in the ASM series all feel like out of touch Sony execs spitballing ways to relate to kids.

Regardless, if you take away all that noise, and read into the details of the performance, it shows how much Andrew understands the Peter and Spider-Man characters. Peter was always likable but also a bit of a jerk, which is a tricky thing to portray but Andrew nails it for me. I love Garfield in the role. Listen to interviews when he talks about Spider-Man, he gets it. It's just frustrating he's saddled with either bad/reactionary adapation choices or a mess of a film (IMO) in ASM2.

Good rankings. Pretty similar to mine actually.

As for Peter - yeah. I can see why some people would feel that way. But as a kid myself (I just graduated HS a couple of months back) I think it's fairly accurate to say that tons of teens skate. I don't think they needed to brainstorm that hard to figure it out.

Not a fan of the hair though.

Good rankings. Pretty similar to mine actually.

As for Peter - yeah. I can see why some people would feel that way. But as a kid myself (I just graduated HS a couple of months back) I think it's fairly accurate to say that tons of teens skate. I don't think they needed to brainstorm that hard to figure it out.

Not a fan of the hair though.

Hater.

My mans hair game was on point lol.

I think Andrew embodies the role of Spider-man. Tom comes pretty close to doing it also. Although the MCU plays more on his innocence and naivety. Even when in the suit.

I have no doubt Tom would totally embody the spirit of the character if he was written more like the Peter we're most familiar with. He's really good, he just needs the support from the adaptation of the material. I think I would always still favor Garfield because his look in general resembles a cross between the Romita Sr and the McFarlane Peter. However I think Tom can equally match the portrayal and probably would be more likeable to the general audience, which he already is.

Last edited:
So I did my rewatch a few months back after the first NWH trailer dropped but I'm really tempted to start one all over again because now that I have my tickets for NWH, the hype is starting to really kick in. I haven't been this hyped for a Spider-Man movie since 2007.

Just finished my revisit of Far From Home. It's so much more rewatchable for me than Homecoming. Objectively speaking Homecoming is a better movie but I think FFH is a bit of a better Spider-Man movie despite it not being set in New York. The fights are better, Mysterio is awesome, and all the hallucinations are well thought out. Zendaya is a more interesting love interest. And though MCU Spidey irks me at least he feels a little closer to the comic character in this installment.

I'm also a big fan of Flash Thompson in the comics and I like what they do with Flash in this one, it's just a shame that I think Tony Revolori is painfully miscast. This is Topher Grace levels of miscasting in that the performance is fine, but the physical presence isn't there. Flash doesn't need to be a jock again or white, but I feel it's an important characteristic of Flash to be physically imposing to Peter kind of like how Brad was.

All in all a fun rewatch.

I liked Peter using a skateboard. It was something I grew up with and could relate to. Also, my all time favorite film character used a skateboard.

Just finished my revisit of Far From Home. It's so much more rewatchable for me than Homecoming. Objectively speaking Homecoming is a better movie but I think FFH is a bit of a better Spider-Man movie despite it not being set in New York. The fights are better, Mysterio is awesome, and all the hallucinations are well thought out. Zendaya is a more interesting love interest. And though MCU Spidey irks me at least he feels a little closer to the comic character in this installment.

I'm also a big fan of Flash Thompson in the comics and I like what they do with Flash in this one, it's just a shame that I think Tony Revolori is painfully miscast. This is Topher Grace levels of miscasting in that the performance is fine, but the physical presence isn't there. Flash doesn't need to be a jock again or white, but I feel it's an important characteristic of Flash to be physically imposing to Peter kind of like how Brad was.

All in all a fun rewatch.

Pretty much spot on for how I feel as well. I know most feel HC is the better movie but it’s hard for me to get through. FFH is much easier to sit through. The saving grace for HC is Michael Keaton. I can’t say enough how amazing he is as vulture. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Mysterio but damn….Keaton turned into the vulture into an actual intimidating figure.

Ditto on your thoughts of Topher grace as well. Performance was decent to good but the physical representation just wasn’t there.

One of the many problems to me with Home Coming was that it just didn’t feel necessary. You went from going toe to toe with the Avengers to being ragged dolled by just about everyone in your own solo movie. I’m also not a fan of the whiny voice that Tom puts on at times during the character. It’s a bit much in that film. I much prefer the muffled voice of Andrew or Tobey since they sound as if they are actually under the mask.

Last edited:
I didnt realize that people are like more happy with home coming than far from home. I think far from home is a sold improvement over home coming because I liked home coming a lot but the action was really lacking compared to like ever other spiderman movie and far from home really improved over that.

Favorite fights from ever movie

Spiderman 1- End goblin right just because of how Brutal it is more Brutal than most CBM fights.

Spiderman 2- Train fight still the best fight in any CBM just perfect between the music and all the cool moments in the fight like when spiderman gets thrown and like goes threw the bridge thing to Peter having to stop the train after the fight to the part where spiderman is on the side of the train etc.

Spiderman 3- The end fight at the destruction place just love that harry comes back and even the intro with spiderman getting there and the flag a fast moment is awesome. Spiderman 3 action was great like the other rami movies it was not the problem with the movie.

Amazing spiderman 1- School fight looks amazing the cgi and love how the characters move.

Amazing spiderman 2- Power plant electro fight looks amazing and love love the soundtrack.

Spiderman home coming- This is the only spiderman movie that I fellt like had kind of generic action. Not saying the action is bad its just ok. All of the other spiderman movies have at least one action scence that really stands out. But I would go with the last fight just because Peter leaving to go stop Vulture after having to live the dance is such a spiderman like thing to do.

Spiderman far from home- The illusions scence it does look very cgi more than I would like but it was still great seeing that come to life in a live action movie. A close second would be the part when spiderman just trust his spider sense. Spiderman spider sense has always been a very big power for him but has not always been used in the movies that well made me smile a lot.

Into the spider verse- The last fight just to many good moments with all the different spiderman and love the spider big cartoon moment.

Last edited:
I'm not fan of Homecoming "mr stark, mr stark, iron man, mr stark, avengers, aunt milf, humor", but Far From Home is even worst, there was no stakes, everything was just one big joke.

I'm not fan of Homecoming "mr stark, mr stark, iron man, mr stark, avengers, aunt milf, humor", but Far From Home is even worst, there was no stakes, everything was just one big joke.

I hear you on that…

but to me HC is the worst. Keaton saves it but even then it’s just hard to get by. At least with FFH we get a pretty bad ass ending sequence making use of the Spider sense. I got massive issues with both though that have been well chronicled lol.

Both movies suffer from that same generic comic present through out the series and a ton of unnecessary scenes.

I hear you on that…

but to me HC is the worst. Keaton saves it but even then it’s just hard to get by. At least with FFH we get a pretty bad ass ending sequence making use of the Spider sense. I got massive issues with both though that have been well chronicled lol.

Both movies suffer from that same generic comic present through out the series and a ton of unnecessary scenes.

"Spider-TINGLE" :)

The saving grace for HC is Michael Keaton. I can’t say enough how amazing he is as vulture. Don’t get me wrong, I liked Mysterio but damn….Keaton turned into the vulture into an actual intimidating figure.

Keaton kills it. He and the early montage of Spidey doing his routine in Queens are the best parts of the movie. I can rewatch the car scene over and over. Really smalll nitpick from the purist in me is I kind of wish they just made Keaton portray Abner Jenkins because the character was way closer to him than Toomes. I get though Vulture is a more recognizable name, just weird for me to see old man Toomes be the father of Liz Allen if they were gonna make it a villain.

I’m also not a fan of the whiny voice that Tom puts on at times during the character. It’s a bit much in that film. I much prefer the muffled voice of Andrew or Tobey since they sound as if they are actually under the mask.

Yeah, even Tobey when he'd portray Peter does that high pitched "aw golly" voice. I don't know why they tend they frame Peter with a mousy voice. What I want more than that though is just to see a Peter who's no longer in high school or college. I'm getting tired of it. They want to avoid Uncle Ben like the plague because it's redundant but yet they put him back in high school.

Hopefully Holland sticks around long enough that we get to see him be an adult Peter Parker.

I'm at the point of my hype where I'm just consuming constant Spider-Man content. Watching Spectacular Spider-Man again, gonna play some of the games, today I watched through all the trailers for the live action movies...and I noticed something.

The trailers for what many consider to have the most story problems, ASM2 and Spider-Man 3, try so hard to avoid telling the audience anything about even the basic premise of the film's story. In the case of ASM2, there are entire lines of dialog in the trailers that tease vague ideas of plot threads that when you actually go and watch the thing, didn't even make it into the final cut. Remember when Harry told Peter that Oscorp had him under surveillance? Not in the movie. Norman saying "we have plans for you Peter Parker"? Gone.

Compare this to, say the trailer for Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2. You know that Harry wants revenge on Spider-Man, Peter is struggling to have a life of his own, even throwing away his costume at one point, things aren't going well for him and MJ who says she's getting married, and we have a clear idea of the villain. Sure we don't know his plan, but we see enough to get the gist that he's terrorizing New York. We have an idea of plot structure and pacing right up until Harry takes Peter's mask off and we cut to the title. Gives us a good idea of the premise and excitement for what surprises could be in store. It's a great trailer. One of the best for Spider-Man, that's for sure (and fitting as it's one of the best movies).

Then with Spider-Man 3, you can see that he gets the black suit, in one of the trailers you get Sandman's deal, but the key thing is that you have no idea what's actually going on in the plot. It feels like a lot of different plots that will be turned on and off when necessary...and that's exactly what the film is. In retrospect, you can tell that they weren't confident enough in the screenplay to push that to the forefront of the film's marketing. The only big spoiler is Venom because they were banking on that putting butts in seats. I guess it worked because it's the second highest grossing Spider-Man movie behind Far From Home, but I digress.

Now I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea; I don't think you have to reveal the whole plot in a trailer. I just think it's interesting that often what happens is that a movie with more problems in the writing department tend to sell the film on visuals more than the premise. I also don't think all movies with mysterious trailers are bad; but I think that most bad movies have mysterious trailers, or rather they set insane expectations by being intentionally vague. That tends to lead to dispapointment more often than not, at least in my experience.

For the most part, we have a pretty clear idea of No Way Home's basic premise: Spider-Man's identity has been revealed, it causes problems for Peter and his loved ones. He asks Doctor Strange to cast a spell that will erase his identity from the public consciousness. It doesn't work and causes a crack in reality that brings in villains from other universes who all die fighting Spider-Man. Conflict ensues between Peter and Strange over the moral quandry of dooming them to their fate. This all culminates in a big action setpiece on the Statue of Liberty. There's still plenty of room for big surprises and twists, etc, but we at least have a clear idea of structure and can set our expectations pretty reasonably around what we know.

my ranking:
  1. Spider-Man
  2. Spider-Man 2
  3. Spider-Man 3
  4. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
  5. The Amazing Spider-Man
  6. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
Raimi films are pure magic. Not every aspect of the writing is perfect, or even...good (Spider-Man 3 in particular), but the overall tone, the casting, the score, just makes it all so enjoyable for me. Even the emo dancing.

I really like the Webb films as well, as they have the strongest emotional core of any Spidey films. I really really feel for Garfield's Peter. Stylistically the films aren't very strong, the comedy doesn't always work, the writing often falters, but the common thread between the two films, Peter's character journey and the Gwen/Peter romance are so strong.

Finally, the Watts films. Unfortunately, while they're really fresh and different, overall I find them mostly narratively empty and cringey. And by cringey, I mean everything from Holland’s voice (“Mr. Stark! Mr. Stark! Awesome! Mr. Stark! Bye Mr. Criminal!") to Ned (his dialogue, and the delivery), to Michelle thinking she’s so cool, to the jokes that are trying so hard (and failing) to be young and hip (“Spider-Man from YouTube?”). The villains are really well done, but it's not enough for me to care about this Peter overall. He just doesn't feel real nor interesting to me, and honestly, I'm a bit surprised that more people don't feel this way. I thought his debut in Civil War was so...unbelievable ("You know that really old movie. Empire Strikes Back?). Sorry, not buying it. It's a shame, cause Holland's a fantastic dramatic actor.

Nothing will top those original Spider-Man 1 trailers. The music, the scenes…everything was absolute perfection. Maybe I forgot just how good that original trailer was.

….The beauty of an actual live actor in the Spider-Man suit…. Damn I miss that. Also, how the heck does a movie visually look better from 20 years ago then what’s going on now?

Just finished rewatching Amazing Spider-man 2, I think I've only seen this movie twice since it came out.

This movie's a mess, the script is very disjointed and its not sure what storyline it wants to focus on. Jamie Foxx is incredibly campy as Electro and Harry's storyline is just thrown into an already crowded script.

And yet...and yet...

Despite everything above, the final 20 minutes of this movie are damn near fantastic. The final fight with Electro and the Goblin battle are well shot and directed and damn....Gwen's death...it get me every time, man. I teared up this time, it just feels very visceral and tragic and I think weirdly enough despite the messy script, the movie has this subliminal effect on you where you really really care about Peter and Gwen and that's probably in large part due to Andrew and Emma's real romantic chemistry. And the very end of the film, when that little kid puts on the costume to fight Paul Giammatti, that was emotional and well done...even though Giammatti was CHEWING the scenery like licorice.

ASM2 is hands down the strangest Spiderman movie ever made, its a mess but it has fantastic components in it that just don't gel together completely IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"