• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Wolverine The Stealth Express of Doom News & Discussion Thread: - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see we're not gonna agree on anything. LOL :oldrazz:

Haha its okay, its just exactly what I mean. No 2 people agree on everything, or like the same movies! Thats exactly why I don't take serious stock in reviews. I love reading them and seeing other peoples thoughts though. If the reviews are generally positive, it helps with the energy and atmosphere surrounding the movie. The"hype" shall I say, lol. That is always fun no matter what! Especially if its a character I love as much as Wolverine, let alone being a great film.

I also worry about the reviews because of box office reasons. Like for MoS I was seriously sweating it out haha, but it end up doing great anyway.

(because its a great movie) Haha :oldrazz:

Glad the film seems to be received okay. It sounds better than Origins and the Last Stand, which is all it needed to do...

I have to say, it's nice to know most think it's an improvement over Origins and overall a good film.
I'm going to be honest , I really didn't have a desire to see this film at all a month ago but the past few weeks I've hopped on board the hype train and I'll be seeing this opening weekend.

Just a head's up - I just started an *official* review thread, just to have as many as possible in a single thread. That thread is here: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=461737

I started it with links to the reviews that you've all posted so far, and of course you can keep posting and discussing them in this thread too. Just make sure to add the link to the official thread as well.

We'll start another review thread for our own reactions once the movie is out.

And, as always, please remember the spoiler tags.

Thanks everybody! :yay:

Drew McWeeny posted an interview with Mangold about the film and in part of the write up, he offers up a very, very slight review/thoughts on the Wolverine.

In it, he mentions how this film is very much a sequel to the Last Stand but also includes images from Origins Wolverine.

Well, ****. We just can't escape Origins Wolverine. I was hoping they retcon that film out if existence.

(((X-Men Origins: Wolverine RT% + X-Men: First Class RT%) / 2) + (Avg RT% of all Mangold directed films)) / 2) == The Wolverine RT% ± 5

I'm just messing with you Rotten Tomatoes watchers/fans. :oldrazz: I'm no Sam Wang or Nate Silver.

Last edited:
Lol @ the J Howletts.

Anyways, yea i think a 74% is a great estimate. Though I'm gonna set my wager lower at a 68% given the way critics are recently. As long as its fresh I think were good!

Love this from Poni-Boy

It earned my fandom through cohesive storytelling, engaging characters and gritty action. The cinematography is fantastic, especially the wide shots that let you take in majesty of the Japanese landscapes. A fair warning for the faint of heart: The Wolverine is the most adult-oriented X-Men movie yet. If the mature content in First Class was Happy Hour, this is an all night bender. Sex, bloody violence and profanity are not shied away from. Thankfully they are presented tastefully, realistically and flow perfectly with the story. Kudos to director James Mangold and his screenwriters for finding a way to blend a serious, Western-inspired allegory with a fantastical and fun cinematic world. He also gets major brownie points for having two female leads playing characters with actual depth who don't rely on the central hero to always save the day. They are everything but one-note scene filler; quite impressive considering both Okamoto and Fukushima are first timers.

If I'm not spending the next week pulling people off of ledges over the RT score, I'll consider it a success.

It's funny watching this reaction from some people over the positive reviews so far, though:

[YT]v0245xP_HVk[/YT]

One of my small complaints about the trailers was that there weren't enough wide shots shown. I wanted something more Skyfall-ish but they never delivered in the trailers...

Holy crap! Could it be? Could this be the sleeper hit? Could it be the best X-Men film yet?

Nothing would make me more excited than to be excited for the X-Men film franchise again. X2 was so long ago.

Keep in mind, he went into that movie thinking it was going to be garbage.

One of my small complaints about the trailers was that there weren't enough wide shots shown. I wanted something more Skyfall-ish but they never delivered in the trailers...
Someone other than Poni_Boy (can't remember where I saw it) also mentioned that the trailers were incredibly deceiving.

Keep in mind, he went into that movie thinking it was going to be garbage.

That's my point. Honestly, I gave up on X-Men after First Class because of how frustration it was as a picture. I mean, not as bad as Origins, but it screwed with continuity half the time and the other half, it got completely right and it left me wondering why they didn't go all the way with it.

I do think the genius thing that Mangold did was to set it after the events of the Last Stand, which means it could be its own thing.

God, I hope my reaction is just the same as Poni's. I need X-Men back into my life...in a big way.

You know, I really love @ThePlaylist but from day one they've had a grudge against this film. They never tweet or post anything to their site that is remotely positive, everything is either something negative or something that is eluding to it being just "sub-par". They just tweeted that Fox can't be happy with the reviews spilling onto the internet. Umm, what? They added a link to their site containing ONE positive review with 5 or 6 mixed and 2 negative. WTF? They don't want this film to succeed because they can't get over Origins. It's BS to me.

Yeah Playlist has been negative on the very idea of this film for some time.

That's my point. Honestly, I gave up on X-Men after First Class because of how frustration it was as a picture. I mean, not as bad as Origins, but it screwed with continuity half the time and the other half, it got completely right and it left me wondering why they didn't go all the way with it.

I do think the genius thing that Mangold did was to set it after the events of the Last Stand, which means it could be its own thing.

God, I hope my reaction is just the same as Poni's. I need X-Men back into my life...in a big way.

And, from what we've heard so far, focus on the character. There's no 'saving the world' angle, it's just about getting the character right. To me, that's where Origins screwed up the most.

It's likely to take a hit at the box office due to the reception of Origins, but if it restores faith amongst the fanbase, that should hopefully bode well for DOFP next summer, and even more so for the future of the franchise while it's in Fox's hands.

Again, we hope...

And, from what we've heard so far, focus on the character. There's no 'saving the world' angle, it's just about getting the character right. To me, that's where Origins screwed up the most.

It's likely to take a hit at the box office due to the reception of Origins, but if it restores faith amongst the fanbase, that should hopefully bode well for DOFP next summer, and even more so for the future of the franchise while it's in Fox's hands.

Again, we hope...

Yes, it should. I really hope this film is this good. It would just be nice for a change because X-Men got this whole thing rolling...this genre. There's just so many great stories left to tell if Fox would just let it.

You know, I really love @ThePlaylist but from day one they've had a grudge against this film. They never tweet or post anything to their site that is remotely positive, everything is either something negative or something that is eluding to it being just "sub-par". They just tweeted that Fox can't be happy with the reviews spilling onto the internet. Umm, what? They added a link to their site containing ONE positive review with 5 or 6 mixed and 2 negative. WTF? They don't want this film to succeed because they can't get over Origins. It's BS to me.

The embargo has been officially lifted, from what I understand. Not sure what they're complaining about....

Since when do critics need an actual valid reason to complain?

Intros at the UK premiere. James Mangold introduces the cast, Hugh checks in with his mom to make sure she's ok in the front row, and thanks his wife for putting up with all the protein shakes. :funny:

[YT]M07PMkmCJN8&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

Apparently, Famke had to leave early due to a family emergency. Hope everything's all right.

Again, we hope...

I'd say FC already did that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"