Logan Logan - news & discussion - Part 5

I guess technically is an adaptation of the comics. Maybe this is going to be a precedent for future comic movies. Would be nice, and I think the category fits for most (if not all) superhero flicks.

Its based on a story from a comic book so adapted screenplay is perfectly apt.

Would it kill them if they nominated Jackman? Denzel....;/

This is awesome, it's very difficult for comic films to get a nod due to Academy bias. Glad Logan is being acknowledged in some form.

:up::up:

Somewhat bummed Patrick, Hugh, or Dafne didn't get nominated, but this is still nice!

As a lifelong Wolverine fan this new is glorious! Seriously the Academy needs to wake up, some of these comic book films have amazing performances in them Not even just Heath Ledger as Joker or Hugh Jackman as Logan, there are plenty of other films where a great actor gives a great performance but it's overlooked because it's a comic film. I also believe Jon Bernthal deserves an Emmy nod for The Punisher which is my favorite portrayal of a comic book character ever.

I’m happy with many of the nominations this morning, but this one made me the happiest.

Not really. Even if we ignore OML, Wolverine is still not an original character. Therefore, the movie is an adaptation.

Eh... Still seems odd to me. Also, while I am happy that there was something in the film recognized by the Oscars to a degree I think the three leads deserved some Academy love, or at least one of them should have gotten serious consideration in an acting category.

Eh... Still seems odd to me. Also, while I am happy that there was something in the film recognized by the Oscars to a degree I think the three leads deserved some Academy love, or at least one of them should have gotten serious consideration in an acting category.
There are only two categories. Original and Adapted.

Original Screenplay means the story and characters are original.

Adapted means the story and/or characters are based on something else.

Shame about Hugh being snubbed but that screenplay nom is wonderful.

How so? Was Logan a movie about original characters, or at least about someone living that did not draw inspiration from a book or outside media? No right, because Logan is a character we can see monthly in the pages of Marvel Comics. Aka, any film about Logan is an ADAPTATION of an existing comic book character.

I don't see how this can be considered odd. It makes perfect sense.

Funny how the Wolverine franchise went from having arguably the worst film out of all the X films to this.

Funny how the Wolverine franchise went from having arguably the worst film out of all the X films to this.

The DCEU should take note...:oldrazz:

Reboots are the lazy way out...

I think that Patrick deserve a nominee more than the screenplay.

let's say that the movie is fantastic for the first half, than (when they arrived in the house) become an avarege comics movie for story, setting, visual and themes.

The clone idea is a awful thing.

I would've loved for Hugh, Dafne or Sir Patrick to get nominated they would have definitely deserved it. Im still real happy that they got the nomination for screenplay. It means a lot as a comic book franchise that the Academy is nominating a live action adaptation of one it's stories.

yea that is pretty ironic haha.

So turns out Logan won best Contemporary Film at the Art DGAs yesterday. Full list here.

http://variety.com/2018/artisans/awards/shape-of-water-blade-runner-black-mirror-win-art-directors-guild-awards-1202679297/

‘Shape of Water,’ ‘Blade Runner,’ ‘Black Mirror’ Win Art Directors Guild Awards

“The Shape of Water,” “Blade Runner 2049” and “Logan” walked away with top film honors at the 2018 Art Directors Guild Awards Saturday night.

Contemporary Film
“Logan” (Production Designer: François Audouy)

Last edited:

reboots as lazy way out is my thoughts for years.

my suspecion is dceu is going to copy xmcu by having flashpoint in a way be their version of dofp in the sense by end of film timeline is changed like end of dofp 1973-2023-which in xmcu were most of origins.the entire x-men original trilogy save for x-men prologue which was reshot shot by shot in fc,most of the wolverine and post apocalypic future of dofp

a film like logan requires some history before it.now even if you only want to watch before it 100% material that is still "In COntunity" of first class,DOFP,and
Apocalypse before logan it can still work.

one of sadest things about end of xmcu is we won't see Laura again.

James Mangold is mad as hell about Post-Credit scenes and he's not going to take it anymore (via Cinema Blend).

“The idea of making a movie that would ****ing embarrass me, that’s part of the anesthetizing of this country or the world. That’s further confirming what they already know and tying in with other ****ing products and selling them the next movie while you’re making this movie, and kind of all that **** that I find really ****ing embarrassing. Like, that audiences are actually asking for scenes in end credits when those scenes were first developed for movies that suck, so they put something extra at the end to pick up the scores when the movie couldn’t end right on its own ****ing feet.”

“Now we’ve actually gotten audiences addicted to a ****ing bonus in the credits. It’s ****ing embarrassing. It means you couldn’t land your ****ing movie is what it means. Even if you got 100,000 Twitter addicts who are gambling on what ****ing scene is going to happen after the ****ing credits it’s still cheating. It’s just cheating, but there’s all sorts of bad habits like that that ****ing horrify me, man, that have become de rigueur in the way we make movies and I think the fear of being one of them that did that end then everyone’s patting me on the back and I feel like **** inside because I know I cheated, is probably the greatest thing that scares the **** out of me.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"