The Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow News and Discussion Thread

I don't really want to see that story for Supergirl's big screen outing either. That's something that should be saved for if they ever get to a sequel where Supergirl has been long in the role and the actress has grown up. I don't want Kara starting out already as a weary old soul.
Agree to disagree, this is her best story ever told in comics, imo, so if there’s ONE Supergirl story I would ever hope to see adapted, it’s this one. This is SG’s first solo cinematic outing in decades. If it doesn’t work, it might be her last. Better make it the best one you can. If that means foregoing her origin (which actually IS touched on in this book in flashbacks), so be it.

yea would perhaps have been more interesting a 2nd or third movie...but being honest we have no idea if she can sustain a franchise so go big. Curious to see if they will keep her being 21(doubt it considering clark will likely be 25 something).

Also interested in if they keep ruthye , the same villain etc. Would be neat if they changed somethings. This is just me thinking purely on making it more connected to wider dcu etc but imagine main fill in being mongul or something like that.

This particular story doesn’t really work with a 14-15 year old Kara, imo. She essentially takes a kid around that age under her wing. This Kara’s been around for a bit. I’d say 19 or 20-ish would work.

The story starts on Kara's 21st birthday! She's literally just out in space to go to a planet with a red star so she can feel the effects of alcohol when we meet her.

The story starts on Kara's 21st birthday! She's literally just out in space to go to a planet with a red star so she can feel the effects of alcohol when we meet her.
True, but since they’re going with a younger Clark, I’d be ok with them adjusting that to make her a tad bit younger. Like she could be commemorating Krypton’s death day (or the day you can no longer see the light from it on Earth) or something like that.

But then I’m also perfectly ok with having a 21-year-old Kara with a 25-year-old Clark so I’m really just talking about appeasing those who want her more notably younger than him lol.

True, but since they’re going with a younger Clark, I’d be ok with them adjusting that to make her a tad bit younger. Like she could be commemorating Krypton’s death day (or the day you can no longer see the light from it on Earth) or something like that.

But then I’m also perfectly ok with having a 21-year-old Kara with a 25-year-old Clark so I’m really just talking about appeasing those who want her more notably younger than him lol.

That's fair and isn't a bad idea for an alternative way to have her out in space, but I do really love the simplicity and humor of meeting Kara out in the middle of nowhere in space while she's trying to get drunk to celebrate turning 21. I think that's a delightful establishing character moment that works to get audiences onboard with her character and see right off the cuff that Kara is not just a carbon copy of Clark.

That's fair and isn't a bad idea for an alternative way to have her out in space, but I do really love the simplicity and humor of meeting Kara out in the middle of nowhere in space while she's trying to get drunk to celebrate turning 21. I think that's a delightful establishing character moment that works to get audiences onboard with her character and see right off the cuff that Kara is not just a carbon copy of Clark.
No argument there!

The way Gunn talked about her it seems like they are going for a more "troubled rebellious teen" take on Supergirl. I could see them adapting this story to fit that by having her leaving earth (after maybe being introduced in Superman Legacy) and wanting to get drunk on a red sun world and not even waiting until she's 21 to do it. Maybe she does it at 16.

I had never heard of Woman of Tomorrow. So I looked up a brief synopsis. It seems (correct me if I’m wrong) rather space opera-y. Not necessarily a bad thing. But I thought the trend in recent years was to de-power Superman and Supergirl (at least a bit) and make them more Earth-bound heroes. Leave the space stuff for the Lanterns. Is this story a kind of throwback to those wacky, Silver Age days? Also: whatever is established for the new Supergirl in terms of tone, internal logic and power levels should — in a shared universe — also apply to the new Superman. Yes?

I had never heard of Woman of Tomorrow. So I looked up a brief synopsis. It seems (correct me if I’m wrong) rather space opera-y. Not necessarily a bad thing. But I thought the trend in recent years was to de-power Superman and Supergirl (at least a bit) and make them more Earth-bound heroes. Leave the space stuff for the Lanterns. Is this story a kind of throwback to those wacky, Silver Age days? Also: whatever is established for the new Supergirl in terms of tone, internal logic and power levels should — in a shared universe — also apply to the new Superman. Yes?

I am actually reading it right now and it is very Guardians Of The Galaxy with weird aliens. I can easily see why Gunn wants to adapt this for his slate.

I haven't read the newest stuff, but I'm pretty sure I saw that Supes is now more powerful than ever? Due to some shenanigans? Which is sort of my preference.

I haven't read the newest stuff, but I'm pretty sure I saw that Supes is now more powerful than ever? Due to some shenanigans? Which is sort of my preference.
Isn't that always the case. :o

Supes was weakened during Warworld but apparently got supercharged by a white sun after that, so he’s essentially back to Pre-Crisis power levels for the time being.

And yes, Woman of Tomorrow is absolutely a space opera. But I wouldn’t call it too “Silver Age-y,” it just has some nods to the Silver Age in it, because King likes to pay tribute to characters’ history just as he did with Up in the Sky. Kara is not too OP in it though.

Both Supes and SG have had plenty of cosmic-based stories in the Post-Crisis era.

This particular story doesn’t really work with a 14-15 year old Kara, imo. She essentially takes a kid around that age under her wing. This Kara’s been around for a bit. I’d say 19 or 20-ish would work.
The actress will probably be 19 if she is playing a 14 year old Kara. I did not know the Flash movie actress is 27. If she is any good I would like her to stay on but I don’t think the general audience would accept a Spanish Supergirl headlining a movie. The Flash movie Supergirl could pass for Cavill and Gale’s child together though. I was hoping that was going to be the case.

Agree to disagree, this is her best story ever told in comics, imo, so if there’s ONE Supergirl story I would ever hope to see adapted, it’s this one. This is SG’s first solo cinematic outing in decades. If it doesn’t work, it might be her last. Better make it the best one you can. If that means foregoing her origin (which actually IS touched on in this book in flashbacks), so be it.
Agreed I like the fact that none of these movies are origin stories. I see the negative crowd has issues with Damien because they would rather see Dick Grayson. Let’s see what happens before we complain. Night wing will probably be in the movie anyway.

The actress will probably be 19 if she is playing a 14 year old Kara. I did not know the Flash movie actress is 27. If she is any good I would like her to stay on but I don’t think the general audience would accept a Spanish Supergirl headlining a movie. The Flash movie Supergirl could pass for Cavill and Gale’s child together though. I was hoping that was going to be the case.

IMO this story just doesn't work with a younger Kara. You could maybe have her be a few years under 21 if for whatever reason it was absolutely crucial to get a more significant age gap between Kara and Clark, but even then the youngest that'd work IMO is 18-19. She's a young adult in this story, not a teen, in part because the character she's traveling with is a younger girl/early teenager.

Yeah I personally would say the youngest you should go for Kara here would be 17-18, tbh. Any younger than that and it just won’t work, imo.

IMO this story just doesn't work with a younger Kara. You could maybe have her be a few years under 21 if for whatever reason it was absolutely crucial to get a more significant age gap between Kara and Clark, but even then the youngest that'd work IMO is 18-19. She's a young adult in this story, not a teen, in part because the character she's traveling with is a younger girl/early teenager.
Well we know it is not going to a 100% copy of the comic so a 14 year old gritty Kara might work. The reality is we don’t know the tone of any of these movies or shows. Remember we going to have at least 8 years of these characters. Do we really want Kara and Kal-El to be similar in age? Casting and the director will tell us a lot about what they gonna do with this character.

Also, from how you everyone is describing her in this book, I can see this version of Supergirl hitting it off very well with Diana.

Well we know it is not going to a 100% copy of the comic so a 14 year old gritty Kara might work. The reality is we don’t know the tone of any of these movies or shows. Remember we going to have at least 8 years of these characters. Do we really want Kara and Kal-El to be similar in age? Casting and the director will tell us a lot about what they gonna do with this character.

It'll be an adaptation of the comic though. So while there'll inevitably be changes and portions of the story that end up being ejected or switched out for something new, the problem of what you're trying to suggest here is that it ultimately defeats the purpose of even adapting Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow in the first place.

Kara is not fourteen or sixteen in the comic because the central set-up of the comic to begin with basically requires her to be a bit older. And granted, by "older," she's still a young woman! She's only 21 in the story, after all. But the story requires that Kara be a bit older in order to juxtapose with her younger companion who happens to be the other main character of the story. In fact, this younger girl is the narrator of the comic.

Things will change, for sure. But I truly do not see them making Kara much younger than she is in the comic, if at all, due to the nature of the plot's set-up requiring her to be a little older to begin with.

It'll be an adaptation of the comic though. So while there'll inevitably be changes and portions of the story that end up being ejected or switched out for something new, the problem of what you're trying to suggest here is that it ultimately defeats the purpose of even adapting Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow in the first place.

Kara is not fourteen or sixteen in the comic because the central set-up of the comic to begin with basically requires her to be a bit older. And granted, by "older," she's still a young woman! She's only 21 in the story, after all. But the story requires that Kara be a bit older in order to juxtapose with her younger companion who happens to be the other main character of the story. In fact, this younger girl is the narrator of the comic.

Things will change, for sure. But I truly do not see them making Kara much younger than she is in the comic, if at all, due to the nature of the plot's set-up requiring her to be a little older to begin with.
I have to admit I never read the comic Woman of Tomorrow. As a big Superman fan I have always thought Kara waters down the last son on Krypton. I guess it depends on who plays Supergirl but I wonder if Gunn is trying to change the Trinity to Superman, Batman and Supergirl or at least making her a bigger member of the Justice League. We will see.

Agreed, and to add to that, I feel the central conceit of this tale is that the older Kara sees herself in this younger girl - much like Battinson did in that first scene with the mayor’s son when “Something in the Way” kicks in - so it actually matters to the story that the other girl is close to the age Kara was (past tense is key) when her own world fell apart. It’s a story of resilience, as much as any Superman story is of hope.

And I also happen to think it’s the perfect story to make people stop thinking of Kara only in terms of how she relates to Superman, as many folks in this very thread still seem to be doing. She’s a great character in her own right, and this story is the best one out there to demonstrate that, imo.

I say this as one of the biggest Superman fans on this board: Forget Superman - he has no place in this story.

As an expert on the Fake Science of Superheroes™, I always thought that Superman should be able to fly in space and survive there pretty much indefinitely. It makes no sense that he could burrow through solid rock or swim through lava but have trouble with a vacuum. Indeed, a spacefaring Supes was routinely depicted (and required) for many Silver Age stories.

I can appreciate the intent behind depowering Superman in order to emphasize his role as protector of Earth — as opposed to disappearing for days or weeks in order to deal with some crisis in the Alpha Centuri System or some such. But inevitably, a situation would require this modern/”realistic” Supes to venture into space. And that meant a spacesuit or spaceship. Which kinda defeats the narrative purpose of putting limits on his power set. Moreover, the imagery always twists my knickers. :argh: Other heroes wear armor or use tech. Superman does not.

Agreed, and to add to that, I feel the central conceit of this tale is that the older Kara sees herself in this younger girl - much like Battinson did in that first scene with the mayor’s son when “Something in the Way” kicks in - so it actually matters to the story that the other girl is close to the age Kara was (past tense is key) when her own world fell apart. It’s a story of resilience, as much as any Superman story is of hope.

And I also happen to think it’s the perfect story to make people stop thinking of Kara only in terms of how she relates to Superman, as many folks in this very thread still seem to be doing. She’s a great character in her own right, and this story is the best one out there to demonstrate that, imo.

I say this as one of the biggest Superman fans on this board: Forget Superman - he has no place in this story.

I didn't want to go into spoilers too heavily there, but yes, I completely agree with your read of Kara's motivations in the comic. Kara sees herself and the tumultuous past she'd been struggling with in the younger girl and that really only works if Kara's notably older than her.

And yes, I love Clark as much as most anyone else here does, but he really has no place in this particular story. It's Kara's story and it really does help establish how great and different of a character she is compared to her cousin.

BTW, I'll just go ahead and say this; For anyone here who hasn't actually read Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow yet, I strongly urge you to go ahead and check it out as soon as you can. It's a phenomenal comic and some of the best work I've personally seen from Tom King. That said, if you are someone who prefers for Kara to be significantly younger than Clark in the present day, I do think you will likely have to accept that loss ahead of time as the emotional crux and point of the story of WoT essentially requires Kara to be a few years older than fans are used to. But trust me, it absolutely makes sense in context.

I didn't want to go into spoilers too heavily there, but yes, I completely agree with your read of Kara's motivations in the comic. Kara sees herself and the tumultuous past she'd been struggling with in the younger girl and that really only works if Kara's notably older than her.

And yes, I love Clark as much as most anyone else here does, but he really has no place in this particular story. It's Kara's story and it really does help establish how great and different of a character she is compared to her cousin.

BTW, I'll just go ahead and say this; For anyone here who hasn't actually read Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow yet, I strongly urge you to go ahead and check it out as soon as you can. It's a phenomenal comic and some of the best work I've personally seen from Tom King. That said, if you are someone who prefers for Kara to be significantly younger than Clark in the present day, I do think you will likely have to accept that loss ahead of time as the emotional crux and point of the story of WoT essentially requires Kara to be a few years older than fans are used to. But trust me, it absolutely makes sense in context.
I certainly will give the comic a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"