World The Ultimate Spider-Man Animated Series Discussion Thread - Part 3

Finally it is over thank God.

But say what you will, it lasted for 4 years man, 4 long years.

Thank God Drake Bell is not returning to voice Spider-Man in the new one, I hate his voice.
This is the only Spider-Man show that made me feel what his villains feel every time they face him.

But now it's over, it's finally over I have being very patient, let's see if it pays off.

I respect the new guys that came in to help the series and even if the show did improve, to me it was too little too late.

Ultimate Spider-Man you can finally GO AWAY.

I think everyone would've wanted a trade between Marvel and Sony that saw Sony trade their film rights to Marvel in exchange for the animation rights.

SSM is still the best Spider-Man adaptation period (with TAS right behind it), be it live action or not and I doubt it'll change, no matter how good Homecoming could be. Weisman was on a whole 'nother level.

:up: x 1000

It did have 4 times the runtime, and a more conclusive ending.

This is a clear case of quality > quantity IMO.

I would say Spider-Man: The Animated Series from 1994 is still superior to Spectacular Spider-Man. Just because people like Spectacular doesn't mean everyone has to agree its the best.

Finally it is over thank God.

But say what you will, it lasted for 4 years man, 4 long years.

Thank God Drake Bell is not returning to voice Spider-Man in the new one, I hate his voice.
This is the only Spider-Man show that made me feel what his villains feel every time they face him.

But now it's over, it's finally over I have being very patient, let's see if it pays off.

I respect the new guys that came in to help the series and even if the show did improve, to me it was too little too late.

Ultimate Spider-Man you can finally GO AWAY.

The show premiered in April 2012. It's been over four years, making it the longest-running and most successful Spider-Man TV series in history.

I would say Spider-Man: The Animated Series from 1994 is still superior to Spectacular Spider-Man. Just because people like Spectacular doesn't mean everyone has to agree its the best.

Spectacular is best, and then Spider-man animated series. Ultimate cartoon is worst.

The show premiered in April 2012. It's been over four years, making it the longest-running and most successful Spider-Man TV series in history.

Disagreed. That a lie. Spider-Man animated series was on for 5 series. Ultimate only get 4.

TSS-M
S-MTNAS
S-M&HAF
S-M (1967)
S-MU
US-M or S-MTAS
would be my ranking

Spectacular is best, and then Spider-man animated series. Ultimate cartoon is worst.

Unlimited and MTV are the worst. Ultimate Spider-Man is better than Spectacular.

Disagreed. That a lie. Spider-Man animated series was on for 5 series. Ultimate only get 4.

It's not a lie. Ultimate Spider-Man series premiered in April 2012. It ended in January 2016. So yeah four seasons, but it was technically broadcast over a longer period.

It's not a lie. The 1994 series was on from November 1994 and had its last episode in January 1998. So...there you go. There are no lies here. Look it up. This is all historical fact.

TSS-M
S-MTNAS
S-M&HAF
S-M (1967)
S-MU
US-M or S-MTAS
would be my ranking

If everyone can have their own rankings, then some people can also prefer Ultimate Spider-Man. But the facts are facts, it was still broadcast over a longer period of time than the 1994 animated series, and it had more episodes than any other Spider-Man TV series.

If everyone can have their own rankings, then some people can also prefer Ultimate Spider-Man. But the facts are facts, it was still broadcast over a longer period of time than the 1994 animated series, and it had more episodes than any other Spider-Man TV series.

I was just posting my ranking. Will do the same at the end of the next one, if I'm still on the hype.
The "or" was to denote I couldn't decide which of the 2 was better or worse.

Unlimited and MTV are the worst. Ultimate Spider-Man is better than Spectacular.

Unlimited and MTV are better than Ultimate. Spectacular is best.

It's not a lie. Ultimate Spider-Man series premiered in April 2012. It ended in January 2016. So yeah four seasons, but it was technically broadcast over a longer period.

It's not a lie. The 1994 series was on from November 1994 and had its last episode in January 1998. So...there you go. There are no lies here. Look it up. This is all historical fact.

It is lie. They only stretch out how long they air episodes. That not change it only last 4 seasons. 5 seasons is more than 4 lol.

Vile, you really need to stop being so offended that people like Spectacular and dislike Ultimate. Nobody's debating or disputing facts, they're just stating what they like better.

You keep saying "most successful" without any actual quantification of what that means outside of airtime. Here's the thing, though. TSSM could have easily run for longer than that if not for rights issues. But Disney owns the character, the show, and their own network. They could broadcast USM with new episodes for as long as they wanted.

Ultimate Spider-Man is better than Spectacular.

:whatever:

Vile, you really need to stop being so offended that people like Spectacular and dislike Ultimate. Nobody's debating or disputing facts, they're just stating what they like better.

Thank you. All I've been trying to say is "It's OK to feel that way, but no one else does." Lol.

He's not offended in his defense of this show.

Ultimate Spider-Man is better than Spectacular.
Longer run and a happier ending are good things, but in story quality and characterization USM is the lesser series.
Saying USM is better than TSSM is like me saying the; 80s shows are better than the 90s series based on how much I enjoy each.

TSS-M
S-MTNAS
S-M&HAF
S-M (1967)
S-MU
US-M or S-MTAS
would be my ranking
My ranking would be:
1. TSSM
2. Batman Beyond
3. 80s cartoons
4. 90s Spider-Man
5. 60s Spider-Man - Season 1
6. TNAS
7. Ultimate
8. Unlimited

My ranking would be:
1. TSSM
2. Batman Beyond
3. 80s cartoons
4. 90s Spider-Man
6. TNAS
7. Ultimate
8. Unlimited
:funny: good on ya' for slipping in Batman Beyond

Not really. The show was a huge success, and it's the longest-running episodic Spider-Man animated series ever. It gave us a nice look at the Marvel Universe and gave us characters who have never been depicted in animation or live action before.

What are your issues with Spectacular? Why does Ultimate work better for you? I'm curious as I have found Ultimate really hard to enjoy and I have tried to get through the series multiple times and end up tapping out before I get to season 2.

:funny: good on ya' for slipping in Batman Beyond
tumblr_ojrjbpAUcg1tbealgo2_540.gif

What are your issues with Spectacular? Why does Ultimate work better for you? I'm curious as I have found Ultimate really hard to enjoy and I have tried to get through the series multiple times and end up tapping out before I get to season 2.

Highly overrated because of Greg Weisman's involvement. I hated the designs and character models for the show. Way too over-stylized.

I prefer Ultimate Spider-Man because it actually showed Aunt May as a smart, rational human being who is not a blithering idiot. Over the course of the show, you see Spider-Man grow into a more confident hero and also leader. He doesn't get along with his team at first, but over the course of time they learn to respect him and his leadership. Spider-Man in turn learns to respect his team and they become like family to him.

It actually brings a lot of the relationships full circle. In the first season, Wolverine and Spider-Man are like oil and water. By the time of the third season, Wolverine has become downright respectful and protective of Spider-Man.

Taskmaster is in the show, and he's characterized as a total badass. No other show has really done that.

The other issue is that I highly doubt the folks here trashing the show have actually watched the whole thing. They probably still blame the show for killing Spectacular and tuned out after the first two episodes.

It is lie. They only stretch out how long they air episodes. That not change it only last 4 seasons. 5 seasons is more than 4 lol.

Except they didn't really. The seasons were longer. There were more episodes. It is still the longest running Spider-Man show ever at 104 episodes. No other Spider-Man show hit that figure. 1990s was closest at 65.

1. TSSM
2. Batman Beyond
3. 80s cartoons
4. 90s Spider-Man
6. TNAS
7. Ultimate
8. Unlimited

You like what you like. I won't say your rankings are wrong. They are your personal rankings. Other than putting Batman Beyond on there.

Last edited:
Highly overrated because of Greg Weisman's involvement. I hated the designs and character models for the show. Way too over-stylized.
It's not overrated because of the creative mind involved, it's highly regarded because storytelling, voice acting, and animation are top notch.
I was not a fan of the art style and it nearly drove me away from one of the finest comic book shows.

I prefer Ultimate Spider-Man because it actually showed Aunt May as a smart, rational human being who is not a blithering idiot.
She's an idiot in the 90s cartoon.
A rational old lady that didn't call Spider-Man a menace for no apparent reason in TSSM.

Over the course of the show, you see Spider-Man grow into a more confident hero and also leader. He doesn't get along with his team at first, but over the course of time they learn to respect him and his leadership. Spider-Man in turn learns to respect his team and they become like family to him.
Spectacular learns to be more confident, be a better hero, and actually kick the Kingpin of the show down to his knees. And it got one of the most essential aspects about the character right, he's a lone wolf.

90s cartoon version is useless against Kingpin, and USM version was very dependent on teammates for a long time.

It actually brings a lot of the relationships full circle. In the first season, Wolverine and Spider-Man are like oil and water. By the time of the third season, Wolverine has become downright respectful and protective of Spider-Man.
Wolverine didn't trust him in the Game Over episode, and that was his second team-up with him.

Taskmaster is in the show, and he's characterized as a total badass. No other show has really done that.
No other show actually animated Taskmaster.
USM deserves respect for both things.

You like what you like. I won't say your rankings are wrong. They are your personal rankings. Other than putting Batman Beyond on there.
I'm not the only one to see plenty of similarities between Terry McGinnis in the cartoon and Peter Parker, the show as a whole has a lot of Spider-Man in it, some villains are alternate takes on Spider-Man villains. Show even has its own Flash Thompson.

It's not overrated because of the creative mind involved, it's highly regarded because storytelling, voice acting, and animation are top notch.
I was not a fan of the art style and it nearly drove me away from one of the finest comic book shows.

She's an idiot in the 90s cartoon.
A rational old lady that didn't call Spider-Man a menace for no apparent reason in TSSM.

Spectacular learns to be more confident, be a better hero, and actually kick the Kingpin of the show down to his knees. And it got one of the most essential aspects about the character right, he's a lone wolf.

90s cartoon version is useless against Kingpin, and USM version was very dependent on teammates for a long time.

Wolverine didn't trust him in the Game Over episode, and that was his second team-up with him.

No other show actually animated Taskmaster.
USM deserves respect for both things.

I'm not the only one to see plenty of similarities between Terry McGinnis in the cartoon and Peter Parker, the show as a whole has a lot of Spider-Man in it, some villains are alternate takes on Spider-Man villains. Show even has its own Flash Thompson.

Spider-Aziz, those were meant for Wheels who ask why I genuinely like the show. And I explained why. It's fine if you genuinely hate it. I won't ask you to like it. I simply listed those reasons to share why I liked the series. You don't have to agree.

When Wolverine and Spider-Man went to the Savage Land in season 3, Wolverine did trust Spider-Man and went to bat for him after he became a mutant spider and forced Ka-zar to help him to change Spider-Man back. That's genuine character development in terms of their relationship from where they both started as adversarial.

Again, you don't have to like the execution or the way those characters were written or performed. But that did actually happen in the show's third season.

Spider-Aziz, those were meant for Wheels who ask why I genuinely like the show. And I explained why. It's fine if you genuinely hate it. I won't ask you to like it. I simply listed those reasons to share why I liked the series. You don't have to agree.

When Wolverine and Spider-Man went to the Savage Land in season 3, Wolverine did trust Spider-Man and went to bat for him after he became a mutant spider and forced Ka-zar to help him to change Spider-Man back. That's genuine character development in terms of their relationship from where they both started as adversarial.

Again, you don't have to like the execution or the way those characters were written or performed. But that did actually happen in the show's third season.
I know.
I like this show too.

I forgot the Savage Land stuff.

I think Spectacular gets way too much love as well for the reasons you mentioned. With the benefit of hindsight, I've also come to see the that the flaws of the TAS were more prevalent than I perceived as I was enjoying its original run. There have been a few good Spider-man 'toons (S&HAF was another one), but there has never been a truly great one. It's time that changed.

There have been a few good Spider-man 'toons...but there has never been a truly great one.

Again, not trying to sway your opinion, but the majority disagree. TSSM is not only great, it's one of the best superhero toons ever IMO...and many others.

Rated as a top-5 ever here.

Also here.

And top 10 here...

Ranked NUMBER 2 of 25 superhero TV shows all-time right here--that includes animation and live action.

And lo and behold, USM is nowhere to be found if you click through any of these links.:whatever:

I gave USM more than a fair chance. I watched all of season 1 and all of season 2. I really enjoyed the smoothness of the animation and although imo the character models and visual design of the show was rather generic, it was never unpleasing to the eye.

My main issue with the show was the sub-par writing, the cringeworthy dialogue, and for the most part, the bad characterizations. I don't care how 'pretty' something is, those other qualities or lackthereof, is a major problem. There were some good moments here and there but unfortunately they were buried beneath layers of garbage. Most episodes were an absolute chore to get through and I often found myself either pausing and taking a break or just flat-out stopping the episode and coming back to it another day. I couldn't bring myself to watch episodes back-to-back.

Based on some posters here claiming that the show had improved in seasons 3 and 4, I did end up watching a handful of episodes from those seasons but imo there was NO improvement. Yes, I suppose there was less 4th wall breaking but honestly, that was the show's least problematic issue.

For those that enjoyed the show...it's great that USM got a proper ending.

I'm glad that this show is done and over with and we'll be on to something new but I'm not exactly excited either. Disney's animation leaves much to be desired and with Slott and Wacker on board as consultants or whatever, I can't say I'm really 'feeling it' at the moment. But, we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"