Two-Part Batman: The Long Halloween Animated film possibly in the works?!

Works for me personally, still better than a lot of other joker voices out there.

There's something about this that just looks...uninspired.

Also: if you're not gonna have Hamill voice Joker, don't make the guy you do get try his hardest to sound like him.
Looks uninspired is pretty dead on, there could be an overall good adaptation here, but it's going to be buried underneath a generic art style that's designed to be applicable to any of their properties, it's almost insulting to see Long Halloween given that treatment. They could've at least tried to emulate the character designs, rough edges, and harsh lighting that Sale uses. Even when they do try in some shots in the trailer it gets undercut by how safe the animation style is, the style they went with could not be much further from Sale's art.
SRuu4EX.jpg

aOIIfEk.jpg

0TUTfCy.jpg

kKSsLCz.jpg

Pyl4g1U.jpg
Visuals are important to these properties, giving Long Halloween the animation style they did is missing half the point of adapting it, they could've at least tried to give us something visually striking, but they didn't.

Works for me personally, still better than a lot of other joker voices out there.

In 2021, I will take Baker's knockoff Hamill over current Hamill. Hamill will always be the definitive Joker voice, but time has caught up to both him and Conroy. Unless it's a DCAU project, I think they should use fresher voices for both Batman and Joker.

Last edited:
Looks uninspired is pretty dead on, there could be an overall good adaptation here, but it's going to be buried underneath a generic art style that's designed to be applicable to any of their properties, it's almost insulting to see Long Halloween given that treatment. They could've at least tried to emulate the character designs, rough edges, and harsh lighting that Sale uses. Even when they do try in some shots in the trailer it gets undercut by how safe the animation style is, the style they went with could not be much further from Sale's art.
SRuu4EX.jpg

aOIIfEk.jpg

0TUTfCy.jpg

kKSsLCz.jpg

Pyl4g1U.jpg
Visuals are important to these properties, giving Long Halloween the animation style they did is missing half the point of adapting it, they could've at least tried to give us something visually striking, but they didn't.
You’ve got to understand the economic constraints, son.

Honestly, a good portion of my desire to see this skew closer to Sale was just curiosity to see if Sale’s work even could be translated to animation.

I think the likes of Cooke and Mazzucchelli and Ed McGuinness have styles that translate to animation and was curious to see if they were up to the challenge of doing Sale in animated form. But I’m not going to sit around and fret for too long if they’re not.

SRuu4EX.jpg

aOIIfEk.jpg

0TUTfCy.jpg

kKSsLCz.jpg

Pyl4g1U.jpg

I do miss the days of them adapting the animation to be like the book but sadly The DTVs are no longer a big priority, they dont sell as well and anything to cut corners on budget.

Well I'm pretty excited for this, especially with Jensen Ackles coming back. Loved Under the Red Hood and he already sounds solid as Batman.

I honestly didn't know that was Troy Baker voicing The Joker either, because it sounds so similar to Hamill, but I'm cool with it just like I'm perfectly fine with the animation they are going for.

I do, but I don't have to like them, nor do I have to let those constraints fully excuse the artistic direction they've chosen for this, especially not when they've given their DTV's more faithful animation styles in the past, New Frontier, Year One, DKR, and Killing Joke all got treated better.

And you can drop the condescending attitude.

Last edited:
I must be the only one that doesn't really care for Troy Baker's Joker. It's just a half assed, screechier version of Hamill, which while fine for Batman Arkham Origins, has only gotten worse over the years.

Frankly, its lazy casting at this point. He does a passable Batman, but his Joker has worn out its welcome.

Yes but they can also meet in the middle of Tim Sale’s art work and animation budget issues. All the lighting and rims they put on the old animated movie style (Phil B’s style) would cost more than keeping things flat colored and simple like Tim Sale’s work.

I must be the only one that doesn't really care for Troy Baker's Joker. It's just a half assed, screechier version of Hamill, which while fine for Batman Arkham Origins, has only gotten worse over the years.

Frankly, its lazy casting at this point. He does a passable Batman, but his Joker has worn out its welcome.

I’m with you. I like a variety of voices. Hiring an actor to imitate another actor for a project where it isn’t necessary is - like you said - lazy.

I really don’t understand why they don’t use John DiMaggio more for Joker. He’s so underrated.

I don't get the hype over him. Too overly brutish and not enough panache or flair. He's overrated imo.

Good ****, that animation is awful. I was shocked. It looks like a digital comic they would have used to promote TLH comic in 2009.

Light on special features but looks like they are saving them for the 4K deluxe edition.

Crappy animation aside, I'm just turned off that we're not getting this:
2619feb3e2c54e5879ce853f7e8b5094.jpg

One of her best costumes.

Yes but they can also meet in the middle of Tim Sale’s art work and animation budget issues. All the lighting and rims they put on the old animated movie style (Phil B’s style) would cost more than keeping things flat colored and simple like Tim Sale’s work.

Exactly. I mean, a streamlined version of Tim Sale's art should really be no more tasking in animating than anything by Bruce Timm.

early detailed Timm design...
batman-animated-series2-210x273.jpg

....eventual simplified design

batman-animated-series5-217x273.jpg

btas_pilot_c-0-870-0-0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

It sucks that a 4K release isn’t happening till next year but at least it’ll be a deluxe version with parts one and two combined as well with extra features so I can’t complain to much.

I’m assuming their going to release the film in February or in March to go with the release of The Batman.

I’m assuming their going to release the film in February or in March to go with the release of The Batman.

Perhaps that's their logic, considering Part 1 and Part 2 would have dropped to coincide with the theatrical and home media release of The Batman, were it not pushed back.

I’m bummed that they aren’t keeping this one self contained and didn’t try to emulate Tim Sales style. I think it would have been wicked to see in animation.

but, I still dig this style. Much, much more than the new 52 animation style. Which sometimes looked good, but sometimes looked pretty rough.
This looks like it flows a little better.

But yeah, still sucks they’re not trying to capture the style of the comics like they did with Year One and TDKR. I get that this is supposed to fit into their new universe, but they could have at least given the characters more accurate costumes, especially Catwoman. Even though I like the way she looks here, I would have LOVED to have seen the purple outfit with the covered nose and whiskers

This still looks great. They tend to bring their A game when it come to the two parters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"