The Amazing Spider-Man Ultimate Goblin hate.

ModestMr.Green

Civilian
Reaction score
Looking around this board when it comes to casting, plot, and villain discussion, I've noticed mass amounts of hate for the Ultimate version of the Green Goblin, when it comes to an appearance in the reboot. I just can't get my head around why.

Personally, I love the Oz interpretation, and would readily welcome him over the schizo victim of circumstance of Raimi's film and the '90s television series. (Which, at my credibility's risk, are the only two sources but Spec and Ult that I'm familiar with.) Even the drastic mutation of Norman Osborn seemed like a natural transition to me, though the traditional costume and glider made him one of my favourite childhood villains.

Anyway, before I get sidetracked, where does all of the animosity come from?

1) He is a Hulk/another Jekyl and Hyde ripoff
2) He shoots hadoukens
3) He looks like a steroid version of the creature from the black lagoon

Ultimate Goblin is one of the worst adaptations of a villain ever.

Oh, and his blood was always orange. THAT was stupid.

And where did the fire balls come from? I know the original 616 had pumpkin bombs but come on!!!

2) He shoots hadoukens

This.

Yea Hulk Goblin is terrible. It completely removes all the great aspects of the Norman Osborn/Green Goblin character just for an WHOA! EXTREME! derivative piece of crap.

2) He shoots hadoukens

Oh, and his blood was always orange. THAT was stupid.

And where did the fire balls come from? I know the original 616 had pumpkin bombs but come on!!!

Yea Hulk Goblin is terrible. It completely removes all the great aspects of the Norman Osborn/Green Goblin character just for an WHOA! EXTREME! derivative piece of crap.

:hehe: This is all true, too. I thought Ultimate really screwed over a lot of Spidey's villains. Doc Ock and Kingpin were really cool, but then Ock got Magneto powers and Kingpin was killed.

Mysterio should of been Spidey's number one villain in volume one! He was one of the best villains besides Electro, Kingpin, and a very underused Sandman.

Ultimate Green Hulk Goblin sucks.

'Nuff said.

I don't see how a wannabe Hulk can be Spider-Man's greatest enemy.

I think most of the hate comes from how much potential the Goblin had. Early on, Ultimate Spider-Man was great, and the expectations for what would become of Spider-Man's greatest foe were fairly high.

And then we get the Hulk.

:dry:

Utlimate Goblin in any Spider-Man movie would be the main reason I would not pay to see the movie. Some of you can say oh yes you would...but honestly...no, I would not. I don't care if it was a dream cast, Ultimate Goblin is that terrible.

What the **** were they smoking when they decided to create that monstrosity and pass him off as the Green Goblin?

The same ****** they were smoking when they had Magneto-Ock, Austrilian Kraven, Gwen-Carnage, and the stupid Ultimate Six crap.

Thats why I detest drugs.

STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS KIDS,OR YOU'LL BE A ******* IDIOT FOREVER!!!:hehe:

The same ****** they were smoking when they had Magneto-Ock, Austrilian Kraven, Gwen-Carnage, and the stupid Ultimate Six crap.

Not they: Him

Brian_Michael_Bendis.jpg

He publicly stated on his message board that he wrote every single word of Ultimate spider-Man

as for the rest of the conversation, if you could call it that, I have written every single word of ultimate Spiderman. even the issues where bill's name appeared. he did come up with the idea and some of the story structure but I scripted the entire series.

as for powers, Mike has been cowriting because I think he has turned into an excellent writer and it's his book too. I have written on every issue.

I do not put my name on books I do not write. I do not have any sort of ghost writer or anything like that. it's all me. I know what my output and sometimes diverse genre stylings it could appear otherwise, but no.

secret Warriors first story arc was my idea as was the series itself. but it is 100% Jonathan's baby. truth be told- I didn't really want my name on as writer on any of the issues. it just kind of happened. as soon as I saw it I asked for it to be removed.

that really is the only case where my name appeared in the credits and I didn't feel right about it.

the cool thing with powers is, it belongs to both Mike and myself. if one day I wanted to draw an issue, Mike would think that was great. just like I think it's great to watch Mike go at it. that's what creator owned means.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=193744&page=13

I dont hate Bendis,cause I enjoy many things in Ultimate. He modernised Spidey and the world around him. He got the teen angst and interactions down to the t.

He revitalised and energised almost everything,he nailed personality traits that weren't,but should have been in several characters from the start.

I really dont agree on how things turn out story wise for the characters sometimes,but he has done good things.

I hope they make Gwen a bit of a rebellious bad girl,cause it makes sense since her dad is a cop.

I never read the hulk goblin issues... But i liked the ock arc... But then again i never read the part where he apparently acquires magneto powers... ?

Gwen carnage... I have no comment.... Never been a carnage fan... I wouldnt even mind if gwen turns into carange in the new movie

As everyone already mentioned, the problem is that Goblin was basically turned into the Hulk with firepowers. The only way I'd accept Ultimate Goblin in the Movie, is if they mix both, Ultimate and 616. Keeping all the stuff that made 616 Goblin great, the dual personality and gadgets, but instead of a costume he transforms when his Goblin persona breaks out. But he shouldn't grow into Hulk, just be cut and lean. Also forget the fireballs.

Last edited:
As everyone already mentioned, the problem is that Goblin was basically was turned into the Hulk with firepowers. The only way I'd accept Ultimate Goblin in the Movie, is if they mix both, Ultimate and 616. Keeping all the stuff that made 616 Goblin great, the dual personality and gadgets, but instead of a costume he transforms when his Goblin persona breaks out. But he shouldn't grow into Hulk, just be cut and lean. Also forget the fireballs.

Exactly! Make him transform into a skinny, Spider-Man sized villain! Maybe have him create a glider in his goblin personality. Or have the glider already established as an Oscorp invention and then have The Green Goblin use it.

And screw the fire balls, that was just stupid.

Ultimate Spidey is great... Except for the villains. Hulk Goblin, Gwen Carnage, Kraven the Crocodile Hunter, ****** Venom, what the hell!?

I dont hate Ultimate Goblin but I do much prefer the glider riding, pumpkin bomb throwing original. I keep in mind that Ult Spider-Man isnt the Amazing Spider-Man, so changes to the characters dont bother me. Now, if they made 616 Norman Osborn into a Hulk Goblin, then I'd never buy another Marvel comic again. I'm irritated enough as it is that he's been the Iron Patriot for as long as he has been. I'm going through pumpkin bomb withdrawal!

My biggest issue with USM is Bendis's obvious preference for various villains. Kingpin was everywhere. I liked that they made the guy a serious threat but he was way over used. I was glad when Mysterio killed him. I gotta say, I like the Beck is a true danger and not just a joke. And how many times have we seen classic villains like Kraven, Chameleon, Vulture, Rhino, etc? All of them were beaten by Spidey pretty easily and forgotten. C'mon Bendis, some of us like those characters.

Bendis doesn't care what the fans like... he only cares about what he likes.

Bendis basicly turned one of Spider-man's greatest villains into "GOBLIN SMASH!".

I actually like Ultimate Green Goblin. As much as the original? Hell no. But I liked the new interpretation, which is what Ultimate Spider-Man is right? I really liked him more as he was before he injected himself with MORE Oz and became, like people say, a "Hulk". I liked the purple cloak, and the horns, etc. The Hulk-Goblin was cool, but just not as good as the version before him. I also liked the idea of fireballs to Pumpkin Bombs.

Would I want to see him in a movie? **** no.

well, there was 2 times ult. gobby was cool: the legacy arc untill he became degenerate hulk-monster, remember he first was a cruel, psychotic, buffy-yet-not-hulkish madman. then he overdosed on oz and became the *****storm known as green hulk-eh... goblin. and the :death of a goblin" arc was pretty okay. the clone saga too, before doc ock became magneto. but there were some really cool, nifty and awesome arcs: for example(s), "doc ock", "learning curve", "mysterio" and to an extent "hollywood" (ocks on a plane jokes hooray! and sam raimi/avi arad/tobeymaguire jokes too! it was a fun arc)...

2) He shoots hadoukens

Agreed, but you left out his capability of independent flight. Nothing about him says Green Goblin to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"