World Web shooter shop class - Part 4

I need to know if my ingredients are soluble in acetone
PVOH
PVP
Elmers school glue (Same as elmers glue all but this is water soluble and non-toxic)
I think PVP and PVOH are water soluble but I need more water soluble adhesives because I want to be able to shoot my phone and bring it to me or close my door with it and be able to just wipe it off with water. And if I just dissolve my whole formula with water it would not solidify fast enough.

I think but I'm not sure that pvoh and pvp (I found a simpler way to say pvp "povidone") are not soluble in acetone however I think they are on ethanol.

To my knowledge, polyvinyl alcohol is not acetone soluble. I had an idea about reducing the boiling point of the solution by dissolving isopropyl alcohol into water before dissolving polyvinyl alcohol. Water naturally bonds to it, and it's boiling point is like 12 degrees difference. It would lower it enough for a little heat to go a long way.

I found an issue that I would like to address to the forum at large though. Haas everyone heard of the liedenfrost effect? It's where if a liquid reaches twice it's boiling point, it would actually not evaporate because the bottom of the liquid evaporates so fast that it creates a gas barrier between the fluid and the gas. What that means for us is, we actually need the heating element to not exceed the liedenfrost temperature. So it has to be about 101 degrees celcius to about 185 degrees celcius. No more, no less. Does anyone know how to change the heat in a heating element?

Maybe we could use lower voltage. But would we have to heat up the coil then shoot because it would not heat up quick enough for it to be useful in one touch of the button. And how would a spinneret have a motor it would be hard because it would be hard for it to be air tight and still spin if you tell me how that would be nice and I have a good idea for a spinneret design. And lets just dissolve the PVOH with 50% isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:
pvoh is slightly soluble in ethanol, what I would do is make an aqueuse ethanol (maybe 60% ethanol or more so when the solvent gets to the heating coil it evaporates quickly).

To my knowledge, polyvinyl alcohol is not acetone soluble. I had an idea about reducing the boiling point of the solution by dissolving isopropyl alcohol into water before dissolving polyvinyl alcohol. Water naturally bonds to it, and it's boiling point is like 12 degrees difference. It would lower it enough for a little heat to go a long way.

I found an issue that I would like to address to the forum at large though. Haas everyone heard of the liedenfrost effect? It's where if a liquid reaches twice it's boiling point, it would actually not evaporate because the bottom of the liquid evaporates so fast that it creates a gas barrier between the fluid and the gas. What that means for us is, we actually need the heating element to not exceed the liedenfrost temperature. So it has to be about 101 degrees celcius to about 185 degrees celcius. No more, no less. Does anyone know how to change the heat in a heating element?

I find that on other projects that change in functionality based on the amount of voltage, an ohm tuning potentiometer works wonderfully. I myself used it in a non lethal taser glove, dubbed "The Black Fist of Power", and a very similar spider-themed project, dubbed "The Venom Strikers". The installed dial made it very easy to control how powerful the shock would be. I'm sure that the same principles could transfer when trying to regulate the heat producted by the heating element of choice.

Never Mind that is a piece of crap... I thought it had a motor as a spinneret. :cmad: but has anybody made a motorized spinneret or even a shooter besides wadaltmon?

Hey y'all. Just figured that this might be useful. It's a nichrome calculator. It will tell you everything you need to know for heating element goodness.

set it for 1.5v, 3v, 9v, 12v, or whatever your battery set you are using, then select the gauge that is sold nearest to you.

fiddle around with length until the temperature is greater than the boiling point but about 20 degrees less than double of the boiling point. That should give you the accurate measurements.

for example, my solvent (water) boils at 100 degrees celcius. That means that the liedenfrost effect temperature is 200 degrees celcius. I need to then reduce the temperature to about 180 degrees.

So my pump (or solenoid) runs at 12v.
they sell about 32 gauge wire close to me.

All I have to do is fiddle with length till the temperature is closest to 180 degrees which is: I've found that 21.6 inches gets me closest to the desired result. I then have to buy that amount of wire, and I'm all set.

here you go.

http://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome/NichromeCalc.html

Hi. Check out this list: https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/282A8DTB8G2H/ref=cm_sw_r_ip_wl_o_xxlaub0N86PK7

It's got all things other than a fluid tank, switch, and basic copper wire that you'd need for a pump action shooter.

And this is mine so far.
oFBRvm

http://flic.kr/p/oY4SxY

That is it.

Thats "BEAST". But what is your heating coil is it that rod? And I like that flask.

The flask would be advantagous to use, especially if mounted at the hip. Since flasks are made to contour to your outer thigh, it would be very low profile indeed.

The way to spin the fibers is to have the middle spinneret tube contain a propeller on the tip of it. That propeller will have a ring around, which will be spun by a slow motor. The fibers will come between the dull blades as they spin. The fibers should be adhesive already, so the cable will stay wound.

Thats cool. But does YOURS spin if not how does it work? Sorry I have so many questions i'm not a genius :) The reason I want to use styrofoam for the formula is because when combined with acetone it gives me the texture I want but it is not strong :( may I get an update on the formula?

It's not on my current edition. Currently, I'd estimate the web lines looking like this:
http://flic.kr/p/oYQJ6h

In that while a few strands are stuck, but most fly out.

As for styrofoam, you'll find that it'll probably be a fit too rigid and flammable. Though, it's good for testing spinnerets because of it's higher viscosity.

I think I should start building a prototype. I will play around with pumps and if they don't put out enough pressure i will use solenoid valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"