World Web shooter shop class - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since styrofoam is around 80% air why not make our web like 70% air? It would mean a small cartridge and a lot of web! Tell me what you think. But I have no idea how that works.

And if this idea works it would be one bulky web shooter but we could work on making it portable just like in TASM it was huge but then it became portable.

Since styrofoam is around 80% air why not make our web like 70% air? It would mean a small cartridge and a lot of web! Tell me what you think. But I have no idea how that works.

I feel like that would save formula, but would in turn, sacrifice tensile strength.

Alot? Because for my project it would need to hold at least a full coke can that would be a great accomplishment but thats at least.

I want to work on the spinneret, I have some ideas.

Last edited:
So, we have 3 main questions, that if we solve will give us a functional shooter.

1.) what formula do we use?
2.) how do we fire it?
3.) how do we make it solid?

Do we want to split up the work? Wadaltmon and elixiah are obviously working/ almost done with number 2. I'm going to work on 1. Who wants to work on the spinneret?

Actually, I believe that wadaltmon is extremely far in #3, which he himself has dubbed "the solidification complex" (which sounds remarkably like the title of a BBT episode). He has done extensive research and testing, which to a certain point can be seen documented via his most recent project update, which is linked below. As for myself, I'm afraid that I've been very inactive with the shooter for the past 6 months, and it seems that this will continue due to an extremely busy situation that my life is stuck at for the moment. This will, however, not cause me to cease popping in the share non tested ideas and answer any questions. I will not, however, be able to fully develop complete designs, or test concepts. On that subject, if anyone ever wishes to talk to me, or has questions, the best way to reach me is via pm. I check my inbox atleast twice a day, and will respond as quickly as possible.

Does anybody think my idea is stupid or won't work but if it does how would we make it like 70% air like styrofoam?

Actually, I believe that wadaltmon is extremely far in #3, which he himself has dubbed "the solidification complex" (which sounds remarkably like the title of a BBT episode). He has done extensive research and testing, which to a certain point can be seen documented via his most recent project update, which is linked below.

That kind of depends on which formula you're using, though. If Widow is talking about the formula that he is developing, I would probably need to know more in order to figure that out. But as for my formula, the original one needed heat... now this new one that I have a shear thinning compound, and needs only the agitation of going through the spinneret in order to solidify.

That kind of depends on which formula you're using, though. If Widow is talking about the formula that he is developing, I would probably need to know more in order to figure that out. But as for my formula, the original one needed heat... now this new one that I have a shear thinning compound, and needs only the agitation of going through the spinneret in order to solidify.

then you will solve problem 3?

My formula (subject to change)
Styrofoam
Acetone
Elmers all purpose glue, or CA glue
Rubber cement

The rubber cement will be the tackifier and what if we can use a liquid propellent instead of a shrader valve like Baking soda and vinegar. Or Hydrogen peroxide, Warm water, and Dry yeast. And the vinegar could also help the solidification process with salt. Maybe we can add isopropyl alcohol to speed up the process. As for the shooter if I used a pump my web detaching idea would not work. My web detach idea is a micro solenoid with co2 connected to a tube attached to the nozzle the other end of the tube is connected to the web solenoid. I explain this better on my website http://aswprojects.webs.com/. I think we should work on making a shooter that works then add fancy stuff like spinnerets, making it small, ETC. And can somebody please answer my styrofoam idea Wadaltmon please tell me what shear thinning is.

Last edited:
Sorry that I came off as a jerk white widow, but can I see your shooter or a drawing :woot: My dad had a project and there is a lot of cool stuff left in my garage like copper nozzles, schrader valves, pressure gauges, really strong adhesives, air compressor, ETC. Stuff that i could really use. But i got one question, how are we going to detach the web line?

Well, it depends on the adhesive you use. Most adhesives would be soluble in acetone. Mine is cyanoacrylate, and that will need acetone to dissolve.

There is an adhesive called 2-ton epoxy it drys in three minutes naturally, but with with a heating coil, the speed of it traveling, salt and vinegar it would dry fast and if we add it to our formula our web line would probably hold 2 tons plus it would stretch.

http://flic.kr/p/oLMrdb
http://flic.kr/p/oNxmLr

So this is my spinneret prototype. The central needles are all bound by each other and the clamp. The wires are connected to a wall socket and some electrodes. Between the electrodes is a heating element that can hit 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

The way I figure it is the needles split the fluid into manageable sizes for the heat to heat. It's kind of like if you were to put 4 pots with a fourth of the water in each versus a single pot with all the water. It will split the fluid into strands. I also have an idea for an easy mod to spin the strands. I figure that the needles also increase the pressure. Each of them is smaller than the opening of a pressure washer nozzle, but because of the amount of them, you can still blow air through them. All I need now is my pump to show up in the mail and I can start working on the silicone tubing that I need for an object that hot.

Last edited:
Elxiah said a pump from the electric water gun wouldn't work I think it would work here I want to use it,
1. It is small,
2. Solvent resistant,
3. You can use any canister you want for web fluid.
I need it to at least shoot 3 feet and at least hold 2 pounds I know that sounds stupid but that would be a great accomplishment and I think we should make a full blown shooter then add fancy stuff like spinnerets, make it small, make it look cool, ETC. Has anybody been thinking about nanocellulose?

Last edited:
I want to sell web fluid. Sorry if I sound like a greedy person but people would pay a lot to get there hands on a pressurized cartridge with real web fluid in it. Thanks to White_widow my formula is pretty much Micro-bungee-
-Styrofoam = Strong polymer
-100% Pure acetone = Solvent
-CA glue = Adhesive
-liquid latex = Elastomer
-rubber cement = Tackifier
-contact cement = Bonding agent
Does anybody have any new formulas

Last edited:
So here is the thing bsd: you cannot make a web shooter without a spinneret. You need to fire it and remove the solvent. As for selling the web fluid, you have your agency, but please don't use our formulas or our research.

Remember that every shooter has these things: a web fluid, a way to fire that fluid, and a way to solidify the formula. Any thing less than this cannot qualify.

Elxiah said a pump from the electric water gun wouldn't work I think it would work here I want to use it,
1. It is small,
2. Solvent resistant,
3. You can use any canister you want for web fluid.
I need it to at least shoot 3 feet and at least hold 2 pounds I know that sounds stupid but that would be a great accomplishment and I think we should make a full blown shooter then add fancy stuff like spinnerets, make it small, make it look cool, ETC. Has anybody been thinking about nanocellulose?

I don't recall ever saying that the pump alone wouldn't work, but if i did, i made a mistake. What I meant was just modding the gun a bit and putting web fluid in it would probably not work,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"