World Web shooter shop class - Part 4

are any of you guys interested in some of the materials that I've acquired? Anyone need some nichrome or a battery pack or even some silicone tubing? I'm willing to send some supplies to whoever is working on S.P.I.D.E.R. I'll even through in my old schematic drawings for good luck.

If you pay shipping, I'll send you whatever supplies for free.

If you are interested, let me know over a pm (private message). I'd rather you not give your address out over the web.

Last edited:
I just saw ant-man and it was amazing! The idea behind him and his piwer made way for amazing and hilarious action sequences, there were some heartfelt moments and was crazy hilarious. It felt like ironman crossed with guardians of the galaxy. I loved the refernces to the mcu, it fit really well and the characters were so cool and so funny. There was even a spidey reference in there and 2 end credits scenes. This was on par with ironman 1, the avengers and guardians of the galaxy.

Also if the formula is under high pressure doesn't the boiling point of the solvent lower? In that case if we were to use acetone evaporating the soovent with a heating coil would be a non event.

I think it's the other way around. Less pressure equals more boiling. You'd have to add more heat to achieve boiling. To see that in action, you'd have to look at water in a vacuum. Though, the water freezes so... hmmmm... what would adding pressure do?

But isn't that how pressure cookers work? By adding pressure they are able to cook the food faster?

sort of. I had to look that up, but the point of a pressure cooker is that the pressure outside of the water forced the water to accept more heat before the molecules can break free. The reason it cooks faster is because the water can get hotter.

Maybe we could use this to our advantage by having a cartridge under constant heat. However we would need a giant battery.

Last edited:
Come on you 4 guests. Yeah you. I see you lurking. Get an account and join the conversation!

Sorry if this idea is stupid, i havent done any research about it.

What if somebody made a web formula similiar to playdough, but more liquid, and more sticky, and used there heating system to harden it?

Sorry if this idea is stupid, i havent done any research about it.

What if somebody made a web formula similiar to playdough, but more liquid, and more sticky, and used there heating system to harden it?

The viscosity of playdough is too high you would need a high amount of pressure and it wouldn't push out how you think it won't do a straight line it'll curl and hit the floor 1cm away from your shooter.I haven't tried that yet but I'm sure that's what it will do.

In the comics, It suggests that is what the web formula looks like outside of the shooter. It's only when you apply pressure that it becomes a liquid. If you can figure a way to get a shear thinning polymer that is borderline solid, then that would be ideal.

Like I said to widow on chatzy, I think the best way to achieve this is to have varying levels of sheer thinning. What I mean by this is that it only thins under a higher pressure. I think this could possibly be achieved by thickening a sheer thinning fluid.

You are right on that. The only issue I see currently with that idea is that whatever material you use, it has to practically be a solid.Unless you want to work with formula ratios, it's final state will be a ropey version of the first.

I'm ok with that because I can test it without having to extrude although it will help. Also if its more of a solid I can put more imto one cartridge.

Everyone should check this out http://www.businessinsider.com/liquid-metal-discovery-paves-way-for-shape-shifting-robotse-2015-4 It may just give you an idea for creating a fluid or whatever but it is super amazing. It could work to give us self propelled fluid in our shooter. Or perhaps a self working pump. Or a solid that turns into fluid upon touching an electrical current. This is definitely a breakthrough in science. Be sure to check out the vid at the end.
dude, thats awesome!!!

Does anyone know of commercially available mini valves, preferably electrically actuated?

Well starlight, It's been on the fringe for a while. I imagine this forum to either be in the awkward teen years when it has a hard time making friends, or it's well past it's prime and going through it's mid-life crisis. Either way, we need a new innovation to catch a few more minds.

I've managed to make the money I need to get my newest shooter design rolling. I'll be ordering the parts from ShapeWays presently. I'll also be uploading a new Web Talks episode in the next few days.

Also, the.Amazing removed his YouTube channel and edited all his posts on here to '111'. I don't know why, but whatever reason it is, if you're reading this, it was great having you on the project, and I hope you can return in the future. Stay safe man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"