World Web shooter shop class - Part 4

True, but that's because the forum is effectively obsolete. It's original purpose was to coordinate ideas between individuals. That was taken out by http://www.chatzy.com/77444938461877 which allowed for thunder fast communication.

It could be an informational channel, except that most of the valuable information is scattered through 80 or so pages of this stuff.

I would like to let everyone know that unfortunately my WDM3.0 concept did not work. When it comes to what I will be doing next, I will have to start over. I will be moving on to WDM4.0, which will incorporate concepts from WDM3.0, but will be somewhat based on the Ben Reilly shooters. I will hopefully have a prototype in the month.

In the meantime I will be releasing a video this week on how to make your own double tap circuit.

Unfortunately it seems realwebtech has been frozen by its host site. Since Iron_Spider is not around to tend to it, I have created a new site to post new ideas.

spiderdevice.webs.com

It even has its own forums section.

Hello, I don't mean to come in and bother anyone, you all seem to being doing great. When looking back, it is kind of crazy to remember how long all of this has been going on, and how many people came or left.

Not sure how active this forum is...

I was hoping I could get some help. I am currently working on a formula that is in two parts, that when mixed, combine together to might sticky white stuff. One of the two parts involves acetone and this has made it hard to construct any shooters that don't dissolve or get eaten up. Was wondering if there was any designs or tips that could help? Something that is resistant to acetones effects, while also being sort of like a double barrel shotgun, so that the two components mix when fired.

Good to see you again, symbioteshost. Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy here with school and work. One thing I'd recommend is checking if denatured alcohol will dissolve your formula, it has a comparable evaporation rate compared to acetone (even faster if you add a heating coil).

Hiya Symbioteshost! Not sure if we've ever formally met (or as formally as possible on the internet) but I've been following the forums for a long time before joining and I loved your Ideas based around spinning the fluid. I've used that idea as a basis for many of my designs so thank you. At this point the forum has slowed down a lot because we use the chatzy page. Here it is http://us19.chatzy.com/77444938461877

Posted some pics of my webbing on the spiderdevice.webs.com site. Finally got something to work!

@waldaltmon Sorry for MY late reply. I haven't tried denatured alcohol, thanks for the tip! Not sure how it would fare with my formula though. Im no genius like you guys, and the acetone is really more for thinning part of my formula.
I've tried using other thinners such as rubber cement thinner to no success. :/

@The Pie-Man Nice to meet you too. Again, sorry for the late reply. Thanks, I am glad I could be of some kind of help! I've joined to chatzy page so thanks!

hey symbioteshost!

I'm new to superherohype but I've been following the web shooter action on youtube for a little over a year now. I'm reading through all of the old threads wadaltmon recommended on the spiderdevice website. I hope I can help you out with your shooter!

These are a couple of initial ideas:

1. You could dilute the acetone until it no longer corrodes you shooter. I doubt this would work for you though, because it sounds like acetone is key to your formula's viscosity.

2. You could always make the parts of your shooter that come into contact with the fluid out of metal or more chemically resistant materials. I'm sure you already thought of this.

3. Silicone rubber is often used for moulds because of its extreme chemical resistance. My dad took a course at Smooth-On, so I have access to this stuff and know a bit about it. I think you could coat the parts of your shooter that come into contact with your formula with a layer of silicone rubber. They make a brush-on kind that's used for making moulds of pre-existing objects. Using silicone rubber should provide the chemical resistance you need, and since it just brushes right on to your pre-existing shooter, you wouldn't have to change the construction/materials of your shooter, or your mess with the formula itself. For these reasons, I think that it's the most viable of these three ideas.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I just had another idea. Teflon might work. It's highly corrosion resistant (not to mention hydrophobic/non-stick, and resistant to heat and van der Waals forces).

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-S...ie=UTF8&qid=1472092406&sr=8-3&keywords=teflon

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-O...=UTF8&qid=1472093580&sr=8-4&keywords=PTFE+car

The first link is to a teflon lubricant. It is intended to be used for dirt resistance (on garden tools and such) and general lubrication (kind of like how WD-40 is used).

The second is actually a car coating. It's supposed to add shine and provide dirt and UV resistance to a car's exterior. This specific coating is teflon mixed with car wax. I think it's more likely to work than the lubricant.

The drawback to this car coating is that it's double the price of the lubricant (the lubricant is $10). The drawback of both is that I'm not even sure either will work. I have been mowing lawns this past week, and when I get paid I might have enough to try one and see.

I guess I forgot to factor in price as a variable when initially considering options :doh:

Last edited:
@symbioteshost

Okay so today I did a quick test to make sure that the silicone rubber is acetone-resistant.

I took one of my dad's old moulds and poured 100% acetone into it. I specifically chose a mould that was shallow and flat to maximize the surface area of the silicone rubber that was exposed to acetone. I also covered the mould in plastic wrap to prevent the acetone from evaporating. The setup sat for at about five hours before the dehumidifier in my basement evaporated all the acetone. The results of this test were as expected: the acetone had no effect on the silicone rubber that I could see. This test was just a proof of concept, but does confirm that Smooth-On silicone rubber is insoluble and corrosion resistant to acetone.

Sorry about all the unnecessary detail, I'm half-asleep and procrastinating on my history homework ;)

Oh, and I haven't ordered either of the teflon products because I haven't gotten any feedback from you yet and I'm too stingy to risk buying it and have you tell me that silicone rubber will work just fine, or that you've thought of another solution, etc.

Hey! Wow thanks for all the help and all the info. And you even tested one out for me! That really appreciated! Sorry for not responding. After I posted, the thread felt dead so I stopped checking. I will be sure to try all of these! I am currently experimenting with something else other than acetone to see its effect but when I get the chance I will try these! Again thanks a bunch. Oh and nice to meet ya.

It's nice to meet you too symbioteshost! Glad I could be of some help. Definitely let me know if the other thinning agent works!

Are you still open to suggestions/tips about the "double barrel shotgun" aspect of your shooter? I may have a few ideas ;)

Last edited:
It's nice to meet you too symbioteshost! Glad I could be of some help. Definitely let me know if the other thinning agent works!

Are you still open to suggestions/tips about the "double barrel shotgun" aspect of your shooter? I may have a few ideas ;)
Yeah id love some suggestions. Ive tried a couple and had have had some success but I would love to hear what you have in mind.

Firstly, I would like to apologize if I've come off as bothersome lately. School is about to start for me, and I've been frantically and excessively posting about anything I can while I still have the time. I'm at a point where I'm really pretty ardent about this project. I'm sorry if I come across as pesky or annoying to others like you who may have busier lives. Things will probably slow down for me once school starts back up.

Secondly, for the sake of clarity I have to ask when you describe the components as "mixing when fired," does this mean that they mix as they are leaving the web shooter (i.e., in the nozzle or spinneret)? Or does this mean that they mix when they come into contact with each other after being fired separately and individually? I was going to suggest looking into epoxy mixing tips as a potential method of mixing the two fluid components as they left the shooter, but after I bought some I realized that they wouldn't incorporate well into any shooter for a number of reasons (one reason being that they actually decrease the kinetic energy of fluids passing through them). So I have an idea for a custom nozzle that needs testing, but that I think will thoroughly mix the two components as they pass through it, have little negative effect on kinetic energy, and also cause a slight spinning motion (which could maybe intertwine threads, spinneret style...?) . But if you need the components to mix after leaving the shooter this won't be of any good use to you.

Last edited:
Its alright. Its not bothesome at all. Its nice to communicate. And good luck at school.

As for the web shooter. Yeah the webs wont work well if mixed in the nozzle. I mean it might, but i havent tried it and it would probably clog it up. I also couldnt think of a shooter that shoots two liquids that could be rigged this way. Think of my fluid as the gack formula. One component is the glue/water solution and the other is tue water/borax solution. How qould you make a shooter for it?

Hey, there a lot of information about this on the http://spiderdevice.webs.com/ and more people will see your posts. Someone may have some answers to your questions about this.

I haven't heard about your Silicone Rubber, sounds nice!

hey everyone, pretty new here, just reading and finished on page 13, and decided to make an account so i could put in my ideas. no clue if anyone's active anymore since it's been 7-ish years. my idea of web fluid is similar to white widows, with pva, water, and polyurethane. they're all hydrophilic and compatible with each other. plus, theoretically, *THEORETICALLY* with my horrible knowledge, it should be able to hold a box of books and maybe a bowling ball.
for the web shooters, I was thinking of using empty threaded co2 cartridges, so they could screw into a Pneumatic Roller Lever Mechanical Valve, theres a bunch of them for cheap on amazon, and have the handle thing that spiderman has, only have to make it longer. and then for the other side of the valve, add a spinneret needle/nozzle. maybe in the future, have 3 spinneret needles/nozzles revolving around a main spinneret needle so it'll wrap itself around, and make the outer 3 somehow allow the fluid to come later than the main one so the webs fuse into each other. (again, these are just my dumbass ideas lol and i haven't actually made any or tested anything because I don't have the money, but once I have the money i'll be making prototypes.) hope to hear your feedback, if anyone's still on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"