What should Gunn do with Batman?

But Reeves' pitch was getting Batman away from the fantastical. It was pitched as a very real, gritty Batman movie. Superman flying around defies the logic of the approach. It's like the Nolan films. Even more so. You would have to change the rules. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would go back on what Reeves originally said. Whether people do, is up to them. It's just weird to me, because weren't we all on the same page of this approach like a year ago?
His take on Gotham can remain exactly the same. If he wants to do grounded and realistic Clayface, Poison Ivy, etc, I still fully expect him to do so. But the DC Universe surrounding that Gotham can be a bit different.
I don't think it contradicts anything in his universe to have a Superman flying around because Superman is an alien. No one knows how aliens in real life even are. All the human elements can remain the same, and Batman is a human character.

His take on Gotham can remain exactly the same. If he wants to do grounded Clayface, Poison Ivy, etc, I still fully expect him to do so. But the DC Universe surrounding that Gotham can be a bit different.

Like I said, yeah I guess it can. I just don't like it. I don't like it at all. I don't like suddenly justifying something that wasn't there in the first place to fit into some corporate "10 year plan" that's trying to do what every other studio is doing in Hollywood when Reeves was going back to something so simple in the first place.

But also, it gets ridiculous if you have Superman flying around and you still keep doing gritty noir versions of the characters. By then, you might as well bring in Man Bat. It just hurts the internal logic.

Maybe we've gotten to the point where audiences can just accept them because they're so well known. I just worry about fatigue in the Reeves' film's case, which had some baggage to overcome before being accepted. I loved the simplicity of The Batman. And the idea of being in the clear after a decade that was the nightmare that was the Snyder films, and then going, "But there's another Batman!" makes me exhausted.

I hear you and don't disagree, but as they're already moving full steam ahead w/ the shared universe model, this feels like the lesser of two evils to me. Because I just can't see Reeves' Batman functioning in a world where characters as colorful as Bat-mite could appear regularly.

I don't think it contradicts anything in his universe to have a Superman flying around because Superman is an alien. No one knows how aliens in real life even are. All the human elements can remain the same, and Batman is a human character.

The degree to which Reeves applies verisimilitude to otherworldly elements and such would probably be higher than what we're likely to see in Gunn's DCU, however. Gunn's approach will be downright cartoony. That's not a bad thing, mind you. It's just... different.

The degree to which Reeves applies verisimilitude to otherworldly elements and such would probably be higher than what we're likely to see in Gunn's DCU, however. Gunn's approach will be downright cartoony. That's not a bad thing, mind you. It's just... different.
Yeah, in other movies, not in Matt Reeves movies. Those will stay the same. My enjoyment on The Batman doesn't hinge on whether or not a giant starfish alien exists out there or something. To me The Batman stands on its own, and if it was connected to other things, all the elements that I like on it I'd still like. And if Gunn allows Reeves to continue telling his stories in the tone he wants to but with them now being technically in a larger DCU I don't see how that limits him in any way.

Yeah, in other movies, not in Matt Reeves movies. Those will stay the same. My enjoyment on The Batman doesn't hinge on whether or not a giant starfish alien exists out there or something. To me The Batman stands on its own, and if it was connected to other things, all the elements that I like on it I'd still like. And if Gunn allows Reeves to continue telling his stories in the tone he wants to but with them now being technically in a larger DCU I don't see how that limits him in any way.

See, we don't really know that for sure at this point. If everything is interconnected, Reeves films can't contradict anything that takes place in the larger DCU. That's how shared universes work. Hence, Reeves might be pressured to incorporate elements that aren't to his liking, or don't quite fit in his relatively grounded Batman films.

And if that doesn't prove to be the case, and he still has carte blanche, they might as well let him continue doing his thing outside the shared universe model.

Also, if Pattinson's Batman is incorporated into the larger DCU, he'll be regularly appearing in other films where Reeves has less input. And just seeing him in a Guardians type movie would be kind of jarring for me, personally.

See, we don't really know that for sure at this point. If everything is interconnected, Reeves films can't contradict anything that takes place in the larger DCU. That's how shared universes work. Hence, Reeves might be pressured to incorporate elements that aren't to his liking, or don't quite fit in his relatively grounded Batman films.

And if that doesn't prove to be the case, and he still has carte blanche, they might as well let him continue doing his thing outside the shared universe model.
How would anything that happens in Gotham have any effect on what happens in Metropolis?

And no, because it's preferable to only have one Batman. The addition of Pattinson to a potential JL is too valuable.

Also, if Pattinson's Batman is incorporated into the larger DCU, he'll be regularly appearing in other films where Reeves has less input. And just seeing him in a Guardians type movie would be kind of jarring for me, personally.
I think the terms of whatever conditions to bring Battinson into the DCU would include him being involved in those films in some capacity, like how Gunn was for IW and Endgame.

How would anything that happens in Gotham have any effect on what happens in Metropolis?

And no, because it's preferable to only have one Batman. The addition of Pattinson to a potential JL is too valuable.

We're likely to get some kind of crossover event at some point. Those tend to be cosmic and far-reaching in nature.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I'll never be able to see Pattinson's Batman in a "comic-booky" Justice League film where Reeves has only partial input.

I think the terms of whatever conditions to bring Battinson into the DCU would include him being involved in those films in some capacity, like how Gunn was for IW and Endgame.

Sure. But Reeves isn't Gunn. I don't know if he'd be game for a consultant type role in those mash-up films.

Then there's the matter of Robbie's Harley Quinn. I enjoy her in films like The Suicide Squad, but I don't really want to see her in a Reeves-helmed Batman movie. But by the same token, it'd be weird to exclude her given her obvious connection to Joker. Point being, things would be so much cleaner if you just let Reeves' trilogy be its own thing outside the nascent DCU.

Then there's the matter of Robbie's Harley Quinn. I enjoy her in films like The Suicide Squad, but I don't really want to see her in a Reeves-helmed Batman movie. But by the same token, it'd be weird to exclude her given her obvious connection to Joker. Point being, things would be so much cleaner if you just let Reeves' trilogy be its own thing outside the nascent DCU.
A full reboot would mean that even she's getting kicked out. It's a non-issue to me. It'd be up to Reeves and Antonio Campos if they still wanna use Margot for a rebooted version of Harley tho.

We're likely to get some kind of crossover event at some point. Those tend to be cosmic and far-reaching in nature.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I'll never be able to see Pattinson's Batman in a "comic-booky" Justice League film where Reeves has only partial input.

I really can't see Pattinsons Batman in a JL film either, even if that's what some fans want to see.

It seems to me, if they're that intent on rebooting everything, including getting rid of Affleck's Batman, that means they should create a new Batman specifically for the Gunn DCEU, and map out that versions character arc, background etc.

The word right now is that the Reeves and Jokerverse are their own, separate things.

Unless they're willing to reboot this new DCEU without a Batman , they're going to have to be willing to create a Batman that is tailored to this new universe, and not to Grandfather in Reeves version for the sake of having "one Batman".

If this is going to be Gunn's vision of a DCEU " from scratch" , then that means you "start from scratch" with everything , not picking and choosing old stuff to be part of this new universe.

If Gunn wants to hard reboot everything that means, inevitably ,a rebooted Batman tailor to the Gunn/ Saffron- verse.

A full reboot would mean that even she's getting kicked out.

Then it won't be a "full" reboot in the technical sense because Robbie's Quinn isn't going anywhere. Mark my words.

It's a non-issue to me. It'd be up to Reeves and Antonio Campos if they still wanna use Margot for a rebooted version of Harley tho.

Well, like I said, Robbie's version is probably still in play. Either way, Reeves wouldn't have quite as much control as he once did should this integration come to fruition.

I really can't see Pattinsons Batman in a JL film either, even if that's what some fans want to see.

It seems to me, if they're that intent on rebooting everything, including getting rid of Affleck's Batman, that means they should create a new Batman specifically for the Gunn DCEU, and map out that versions character arc, background etc.

The word right now is that the Reeves and Jokerverse are their own, separate things.

Unless they're willing to reboot this new DCEU without a Batman , they're going to have to be willing to create a Batman that is tailored to this new universe, and not to Grandfather in Reeves version for the sake of having "one Batman".

If this is going to be Gunn's vision of a DCEU " from scratch" , then that means you "start from scratch" with everything , not picking and choosing old stuff to be part of this new universe.

If Gunn wants to hard reboot everything that means, inevitably ,a rebooted Batman tailor to the Gunn/ Saffron- verse.

Agreed almost 100%. Although I suspect that Gunn will want to keep Cena's Peacemaker, Robbie's Harley and so on. In that sense, I suppose we'll be getting a soft reboot of some kind.

Margot Robbie isn't even signed on for any more films. Plus, the Harley Quinn movie under-performed.

I don't see them continuing to have multiple cinematic versions of these characters going on, if the plan is to have a 10 year arc for a DC universe that spans multiple media.

I don't see them continuing to have multiple cinematic versions of these characters going on, if the plan is to have a 10 year arc for a DC universe that spans multiple media.

At this point , Battinson and Phoneix's Joker aren't going anywhere and I doubt Zaslav will sign off on Gunn wanting them cancelled in the near term.

So as far as the Batman universe goes, there's going to be more than one running , presuming the Gunnverse has a Batman in it .

Frankly, I don't see how you reboot an entire DC universe without a Batman in it , and I don't see the point of rebooting an entire DC Universe without Batman.

So a Batman for that universe is going to have to be created , and it's not going to be Pattinsons version .

It would be easier to say they should do this or that if we knew what or who the villain will be.

Will it be a known big bad like Darkseid, Brainiac, or the Anti-monitor?

Or will they use a villain that most haven't even heard of?
Or worse, a made up villain.

I'm hoping for one of the 3 I mentioned.
If the rumors of crisis are true, then I'm betting on the Anti-monitor.

At this point , Battinson and Phoneix's Joker aren't going anywhere and I doubt Zaslav will sign off on Gunn wanting them cancelled in the near term.

So as far as the Batman universe goes, there's going to be more than one running , presuming the Gunnverse has a Batman in it .

Frankly, I don't see how you reboot an entire DC universe without a Batman in it , and I don't see the point of rebooting an entire DC Universe without Batman.

So a Batman for that universe is going to have to be created , and it's not going to be Pattinsons version .

It all comes down to if Reeves would be down for being part of a shared universe.
If not, i dont see them cancel the Reeves verse.

Of course i keep hearing Zaslavs "You wont see 4 batman" comment...but i cant see them ignore Batman in their new plan and just have Reeves universe with Batman.

And i wouldnt be against a second batman, more fantastical etc.
Ive been saying this for a while, i would sell my soul to have several Batman universe around.
A Series universe, Reeves, A DCU, give me Burtons Third Batman etc.
The more batman the better to me.

It's a pity that they can't see that they have the perfect vehicle in front of them to reboot EVERYTHING, the Flash.

At the end of the film, when the Flash tries to go back to his own time/earth, something goes horribly wrong in the speedforce, and everything is changed when he gets back.

We see some of the same heroes, only now their are different people in the suits.

We even see some new heroes, GL, MM, etc that were not there before.

Joker 2 is coming out in 2024. So by the time the first DCU big film comes out, which at the earliest would be 2025, that version of the character will most likely be done, so it's a non-issue for them, it doesn't interfere with their plans.

It's a pity that they can't see that they have the perfect vehicle in front of them to reboot EVERYTHING, the Flash.

At the end of the film, when the Flash tries to go back to his own time/earth, something goes horribly wrong in the speedforce, and everything is changed when he gets back.

We see some of the same heroes, only now their are different people in the suits.

We even see some new heroes, GL, MM, etc that were not there before.

Well the schedule changes and so on put a Stick into those wheels a bit.
Blue Beetle could sidestep that Problem...but aquaman 2? But then, Aquaman isnt really in the snyderverse so you could still maybe have it being Sold as a pre Flash movie.

To leave the door wide open, the Flash movie doesnt even need to Show the New heroes.
You could have Flash return to the Main timeline and have central City Look Different, end on the Note "what has He changed" and use that then for the New Plan.

It is as i is for a longer time now...we just have to wait and see The Flash first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"