What should Gunn do with Batman?

At this point , Battinson and Phoneix's Joker aren't going anywhere and I doubt Zaslav will sign off on Gunn wanting them cancelled in the near term.

So as far as the Batman universe goes, there's going to be more than one running , presuming the Gunnverse has a Batman in it .

Frankly, I don't see how you reboot an entire DC universe without a Batman in it , and I don't see the point of rebooting an entire DC Universe without Batman.

So a Batman for that universe is going to have to be created , and it's not going to be Pattinsons version .

Wouldn't the only person they need to be on board be Pattinson (getting him to agree to do more DC films)? Why would they need Matt Reeves approval?

If their goal is to unify everything and not have different movie versions of these characters running around, something would have to go, and I don't see them doing crossover events without Batman, so either Pattinson's version gets folded into it or it goes away and is replaced by something else.

Seems like Gunn and Safran are going to have some hard decisions to make.

Wouldn't the only person they need to be on board be Pattinson (getting him to agree to do more DC films)? Why would they need Matt Reeves approval?

If their goal is to unify everything and not have different movie versions of these characters running around, something would have to go, and I don't see them doing crossover events without Batman, so either Pattinson's version gets folded into it or it goes away and is replaced by something else.

Seems like Gunn and Safran are going to have some hard decisions to make.

It isn't a question of approval or not.
Of course, if Reeves said yes, and Pattinson said yes, then they could have them be then Pattinson could be the DCEU Batman, in theory.

But if the goal of Gunn and the desire of alot of fans is to " Reboot the whole thing from/ Start from scratch" why Grandfather in Pattinson's Batman and that contiuinty into what's supposed to be a new universe?

If that's what fans want ,then that's not a hard reboot, that's a soft reboot.
Even still, that ain't happening .

Fair or not , Battinson's continuity is going to be left alone , and at this point, we have zero indication Zaslav wants him to be apart of the Gunnverse, and we have zero indication Gunn wants him to be apart of the Gunnverse.

That means, unless they plan to reboot the DC universe without a Batman, there will be at least 2 Batmen running around , Battinson and a Gunnverse Batman.

That's multiple Batmen.

Now they could always wait for Pattinson to be done then reboot Batman in the DCEU, and that would solve the multiple Batmen thing.

But no, I wouldn't get my hopes up ,at this point, that Pattinson will be the Batman of the Gunnverse.

Of course, if Reeves said yes, and Pattinson said yes, then they could have them be then Pattinson could be the DCEU Batman, in theory.

But if the goal of Gunn and the desire of alot of fans is to " Reboot the whole thing from/ Start from scratch" why Grandfather in Pattinson's Batman and that contiuinty into what's supposed to be a new universe?

If that's what fans want ,then that's not a hard reboot, that's a soft reboot.
Even still, that ain't happening .

Fair or not , Battinson's continuity is going to be left alone , and at this point, we have zero indication Zaslav wants him to be apart of the Gunnverse, and we have zero indication Gunn wants him to be apart of the Gunnverse.

That means, unless they plan to reboot the DC universe without a Batman, there will be at least 2 Batmen running around , Battinson and a Gunnverse Batman.

That's multiple Batmen.

Now they could always wait for Pattinson to be done then reboot Batman in the DCEU, and that would solve the multiple Batmen thing.

But no, I wouldn't get my hopes up ,at this point, that Pattinson will be the Batman of the Gunnverse.

I don't think that is likely to happen in the long run.

Because Revees Batman universe literally has nothing established in it other than Batman. It's practically a blank slate.

Because Revees Batman universe literally has nothing established in it other than Batman. It's practically a blank slate.

It's a blank slate in that you could add to it , but that would be basically using it as a foundation to build the JLA on.

In that case , I would think Reeves would likely have a bigger role in shaping a DCEU with The Batman as it's foundation.

But that's not " starting from scratch" with a whole new universe .

It's a blank slate in that you could add to it , but that would be basically using it as a foundation to build the JLA on.

In that case , I would think Reeves would likely have a bigger role in shaping a DCEU with The Batman as it's foundation.

But that's not " starting from scratch" with a whole new universe .
You need to start from somewhere. Using a critically acclaimed succesful Batman movie that's about to expand with multiple shows and spin-off movies is a good start much like how Batman TAS was a good foundation for the DCAU.

Matt Reeves continuing to make his Batman universe unconnected to anything else in the DC universe.

Yeah, hard disagreement there.

All the indications are that his Batman universe is staying unconnected to the Gunnverse at this point.

If the facts change , my mind will change.

You need to start from somewhere. Using a critically acclaimed succesful Batman movie that's about to expand with multiple shows and spin-off movies is a good start much like how Batman TAS was a good foundation for the DCAU.

No they don't , they could, and it sounds like they will, start fresh with a whole new vision unconnected to the Reeves films.

That said, In theory though, If they wanted to, they could use The Batman as a starting off point.

I wouldn't agree with it , and I think it's unlikely, but that's different then talking about what they could do if they wanted to .

Yeah, hard disagreement there.

All the indications are that his Batman universe is staying unconnected to the Gunnverse at this point.

If the facts change , my mind will change.

No they don't , they could, and it sounds like they will, start fresh with a whole new vision unconnected to the Reeves films.

That said, In theory though, If they wanted to, they could use The Batman as a starting off point.

I wouldn't agree with it , and I think it's unlikely, but that's different then talking about what they could do if they wanted to .
gunncinematicuniverses.png
2022-11-24 02_42_33-The Suicide Squad Set Visit Interview_ Peter Safran & Beth Mickle - Brave.png

Gunn's perspective of cinematic universe is that they should be built upon the foundation of one good movie before doing any sort of plans.
If he's already doing a 10 year plan, I believe it's because he already has a foundation, and it's The Batman.

View attachment 60523
View attachment 60524

Gunn's perspective of cinematic universe is that they should be built upon the foundation of one good movie before doing any sort of plans.
If he's already doing a 10 year plan, I believe it's because he already has a foundation, and it's The Batman.

I didn't see anything in what you posted that proves that says to me that The Batman is the foundation.

Even if Gunn wants the Batman as the Foundation, at the end of the day its Zaslav's call, and again, as i've said and as the trades and various scoopers have said,the intention is for the Reeves verse to be separate.

The facts haven't changed ,and his statements as of now ,
don't
indicate that The Batman is the foundation.

Until you can show me evidence of Gunn, Saffron, and Zaslav specifically stating that The Batman is going to be the foundation, I can't ride that horse with you.

I didn't see anything in what you posted that proves that says to me that The Batman is the foundation.

Even if Gunn wants the Batman as the Foundation, at the end of the day its Zaslav's call, and again, as i've said and as the trades and various scoopers have said,the intention is for the Reeves verse to be separate.
No one has explicitly stated the intention is for The Batman is to be separate int he new DCU. And I have a very hard time believing that Mr. Businessman Zaslav, who explicitly wants an MCU-like connected universe, would not want the succesful Batman that he keeps praising over and over as part of that universe.
The only time Gunn was asked if the Reevesverse was gonna be separate from the DCU, he gave this non-answer:
2022-11-15 15_30_37-Window.png

Mind you he's always extremely direct. If the Reevesverse is separate, the intention is for it to be separate and there is no chance it'll ever connect, why not answer that directly? There's no reason to not be direct about it.

No one has explicitly stated the intention is for The Batman is to be separate int he new DCU. And I have a very hard time believing that Mr. Businessman Zaslav, who explicitly wants an MCU-like connected universe, would not want the succesful Batman that he keeps praising over and over as part of that universe.
The only time Gunn was asked if the Reevesverse was gonna be separate from the DCU, he gave this non-answer:
View attachment 60525

I'm sorry but what you're offering isn't enough to convince me.

If you believe that The Batman is going to serve as the foundation that's fine.

But until I hear it from them, or even a scoop from a scooper, I can't go with you on that.

I think its too risky to cast a New Actor for Batman that is not Pattinson
Pattinson Batman is already known and accepted creating a new Universe from The Batman would be the best and safest the new generations should have their own Batman Superman Wonder Woman etc i hope if they Reboot the new Actors who play Superman or Wonder Woman are in their 20s or 30s i would like to see something different a younger Superman or Wonder Woman would give a good fresh air

I think its too risky to cast a New Actor for Batman that is not Pattinson
Pattinson Batman is already known
and accepted creating a new Universe from The Batman would be the best and safest the new generations should have their own Batman Superman Wonder Woman etc i hope if they Reboot the new Actors who play Superman or Wonder Woman are in their 20s or 30s i would like to see something different a younger Superman or Wonder Woman would give a good fresh air

Not really. If you cast a likable actor with some talent and tell a good story that resonates with general audiences, the IP will do the rest of the work for you. And let's be honest — while The Batman was undoubtedly successful with both critics and viewers alike, it didn't have the kind of impact a lot of folks were expecting. There was hardly any buzz/conversation surrounding the film following its initial release and subsequent debut on HBO Max and digital. Sure, CBM fans were raving about it on message boards like this one, but everyone else? Not so much.

Not really. If you cast a likable actor with some talent and tell a good story that resonates with general audiences, the IP will do the rest of the work for you. And let's be honest — while The Batman was undoubtedly successful with both critics and viewers alike, it didn't have the kind of impact a lot of folks were expecting. There was hardly any buzz/conversation surrounding the film following its initial release and subsequent debut on HBO Max and digital. Sure, CBM fans were raving about it on message boards like this one, but everyone else? Not so much.
How do you even measure "buzz"? It got 770 million dollars in the box office and was a hit in HBO MAX as well. If that's not "generating buzz" nothing is. It was an unmitigated success. It's just that in this day and age with the information era people move on from things a lot quicker unless it's a big event thing like Endgame or No Way Home. Long gone are the days where a single movie can generate "discussion" or "conversation" for months on end, the "Batmania" days of 89 are never coming back because the landscape of how those conversations are generated is a lot different now; people talk about one thing and immediately move onto the next one.
And the IP can only get you so far as the first Justice League already proved. If the concept of Batman in the Justice League alone would be enough to sell tickets, Justice League would've opened to huge numbers but that's not what happened. People need a Batman they connect to in order to care about his inclusion in the League. This Batman has already connected. It'd make a lot more money to have him in there as a core part of the League instead of cramming in a new guy no one knows or cares about.

Last edited:
How do you even measure "buzz"? It got 770 million dollars in the box office and was a hit in HBO MAX as well. If that's not "generating buzz" nothing is. It was an unmitigated success. It's just that in this day and age with the information era people move on from things a lot quicker unless it's a big event thing like Endgame or No Way Home.

I just feel like there wasn't much chatter or excitement for the film outside of places like this — even when it first dropped. And when casual viewers did have something to say, it was usually an annoying quip about the 3-hour runtime.

Box office success aside (something I acknowledged in my previous post), average viewers won't care if Reeves' Batman isn't a part of the new DCU. He hasn't garnered that kind of following yet.

Long gone are the days where a single movie can generate "discussion" or "conversation" for months on end, the "Batmania" days of 89 are never coming back because the landscape of how those conversations are generated is a lot different now; people talk about one thing and immediately move onto the next one.

Who said anything about months on end? I would've been fine with a couple of weeks, the most. lol

And the IP can only get you so far as the first Justice League already proved. If the concept of Batman in the Justice League alone would be enough to sell tickets, Justice League would've opened to huge numbers but that's not what happened.

Ahem, that's why I said if you get a likable actor and tell a bloody good story that appeals to your audience, the IP will do the rest of the work. I never said it would do all of it. You're not paying attention.

People need a Batman they connect to in order to care about his inclusion in the League. This Batman has already connected. It'd make a lot more money to have him in there as a core part of the League instead of cramming in a new guy no one knows or cares about.

Not true. Most people already know the basics about Batman. Just look at Holland's Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War. As much love as there was for previous portrayals of that character, respectively the Garfield and Maguire versions, audiences had no trouble whatsoever embracing Holland. Immediately.

I dont know why some believe The Batman Universe cant fit with a Justice League World and i am sure Pattinson would love to play Batman for more than 3 Movies i feel that The Batman Movie is much more interesting if you see it from the perspective that it can start a new DC Universe i think a Reevesverse Superman would be something like Earth One Superman and i think Metropolis was mentioned in one of The Batman Novels

Last edited:
I dont know why some believe The Batman Universe cant fit with a Justice League World and i am sure Pattinson would love to play Batman for more than 3 Movies i feel that The Batman Movie is much more interesting if you see it from the perspective that it can start a new DC Universe i think a Reevesverse Superman would be something like Earth One Superman and i think Metropolis was mentioned in one of The Batman Novels

My thing is not that it wouldnt fit in...its just that i dont want to see it.
Like, i dont want to see something like Earth One Superman in Live Action.

I want Earth Prime Superman, i want Earth Prime Batman etc.
I dont want grounded and realistic, i dont want edgy or grungy or moody or so when it comes to Justice League.

I simply want Earth Prime in Live Action.

Of course Reeves universe could pull a Justice League off...the man made Planet of the Apes work.
His world could easily have them all in it...i just dont want that.

I still say that IF this Batman is gonna meet, and be part of any future JL, then his next film needs to introduce some fantastical and sci fi elements.

I really like this Batman, but his first film had him just at, or maybe slightly above, Nolan's Batman.
Both are very grounded in realism.

I can't imagine for one second either being able to take on what the JL faces daily.

Hopefully the next film will remedy that.

I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could introduce a new Batman for the JL, and leave Pattinson's alone, but I doubt that.

tenor.gif

They should do a World's Finest movie first. Let Batman team up with Superman and have that be the baby steps to Justice League.

If we're to take Gunn at his word, Battinson will be the DCU Batman. We know it's continuing, and Zaslav and Gunn have both been explicit that they want a "single, unified universe".

I guess we'll have to see - but Reeves may be fine with merging his Batman universe with Gunn's provided he maintains creative control (insofar as he has that control anyway) over the Batman corner of that universe.

I think a Batman who can survive explosions to the face and wiping out in a wing suit and then climbing up to the top of the same tower he jumped off ten minutes later will have no problem hanging with the Justice League.

Plus, The Batman wasn’t *so* good that I need them to keep it “grounded.” It was a fun authentic Batman, but it was also a film with like… 6 acts. I love Matt Reeves, but this film was Bloat City. The property would be improved with Gunn’s input. Say what you will about Gunn’s aesthetic/humor, but he knows how to structure a film or series perfectly.

I think a Batman who can survive explosions to the face and wiping out in a wing suit and then climbing up to the top of the same tower he jumped off ten minutes later will have no problem hanging with the Justice League.

Plus, The Batman wasn’t *so* good that I need them to keep it “grounded.” It was a fun authentic Batman, but it was also a film with like… 6 acts. I love Matt Reeves, but this film was Bloat City. The property would be improved with Gunn’s input. Say what you will about Gunn’s aesthetic/humor, but he knows how to structure a film or series perfectly.
hPBdUhz.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"