• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Guardians of the Galaxy What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

Yea, the score itself wasn't memorable. I think it was great to have an actual soundtrack though. And for the most part, it was used really well and added to the film instead of being superfluous.

Tru dat dude ! They really made effective use of the songs, it's just that it would have been cool to have a really kick ass, emotionally charged and memorable score. That's possibly one thing that still gives the edge to Star Wars, and it's a slight edge. I think that GOTG is the closes anyone's come in the 21st century to recapturing that Star Wars vibe.

I mentioned this in my review, but I was disappointed that there wasn't more substantial connectivity between the film and the rest of the films that take place in the MCU. Although the film was excellent, it felt like it didn't belong in the same universe as the likes of Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers and could've been released by, say, Fox or Sony as a completely standalone story.

I mentioned this in my review, but I was disappointed that there wasn't more substantial connectivity between the film and the rest of the films that take place in the MCU. Although the film was excellent, it felt like it didn't belong in the same universe as the likes of Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers and could've been released by, say, Fox or Sony as a completely standalone story.
The only connections were Thanos and the showing of the Aether and Tessaract as Inifinity Gems/Stones. I think that was enough to show connectivity. Adding more than that would have seemed like sticking something in that likely doesn't fit with what they're trying to build in the cosmic aspect of the MCU.

Hahahahaha, we're talking about the longevity of Peter's tape and the batteries for his walkman now? Hypesters gonna Hype. You guys noticed the talking raccoon and interstellar space travel right?

Oh, I get you. I'm not asking you to overlook something ridiculous like Tony Stark hanging out w/ Captain Hook. If the technology exists to power spaceships, I think replicating two AA batteries is beyond feasible. Should they have devoted screen time to the explanation? The tape lasting for so long is a logical point...if you're looking for minute things to nitpick. While we're at it, why not demand an explanation for why Nebula was bald, or how Rocket is able to understand Groot?

Hahahahaha, we're talking about the longevity of Peter's tape and the batteries for his walkman now? Hypesters gonna Hype. You guys noticed the talking raccoon and interstellar space travel right?

Lol Except for a couple on here losing sleep over tapes and double a's we've been joking about it really.

Are we to assume though that Quill never went back to Earth?

The Xanderians clearly know about Earth, and he's had access to a starship for presumably years. What's stopping him from going back to pick up some double A's?

The only connections were Thanos and the showing of the Aether and Tessaract as Inifinity Gems/Stones. I think that was enough to show connectivity. Adding more than that would have seemed like sticking something in that likely doesn't fit with what they're trying to build in the cosmic aspect of the MCU.

I know what the connections were, and they weren't substantial enough for my tastes.

The film didn't need to be made by Marvel Studios for all that it stands almost entirely on its own.

When you're trying to build a cohesive universe, you really need to make sure that each film in said universe feels connected in a substantial and meaningful way, which GotG - for all that it's an excellent movie in and of itself - fails at.

I know what the connections were, and they weren't substantial enough for my tastes.

The film didn't need to be made by Marvel Studios for all that it stands almost entirely on its own.

When you're trying to build a cohesive universe, you really need to make sure that each film in said universe feels connected in a substantial and meaningful way, which GotG - for all that it's an excellent movie in and of itself - fails at.
With this being the initial outing for this team, you want to build up this side of the MCU so it can stand on its own a bit. You start sticking more and more references to the Earth-based part of the MCU and it makes the universe feel smaller, not larger, and the placements would feel a bit hamfisted in trying to fit them in. I'm pretty sure the mentioning/shots of the Aether, the Tessaract, Loki's staff, and Thanos were enough for most to see the movie was still connected to the rest of the MCU.

I watched the movie again, and I'm a little mixed. I think my problems are with the derivative plot and character tropes. I hated how this movie had black and white uncomplicated struggles between evil and good. The spin in this movie is that the "good guys" aren't supposed to be all that good. But they're sold as if we are supposed to love them because of it. So when Rocket and other characters are clearly enjoying violence and being cruel they are celebrated. The moral ambiguity of the characters would have been way more effective if they lived in a morally ambiguous world. Instead, simply fighting Ronan and Thanos excuses all the problematic things these characters do.

Ronan should have more of a reason for hating Xandar. At least the Kree/Skrull conflict could be presented as neither side being the "good" side and each party can be problematized through a critique of war and conflict.

And I'm sick of the playboy Machiavellian male space hero. For people claiming that this movie is a huge risk, it doesn't have a unique element to it. And sorry Rocket and Groot, wacky side characters have been done before.

However, I still get moved when Groot makes his dome thing, and when Drax pets Rocket, when Quill reads his mom's letter, and when Gamora hints at dancing. So they're definitely doing something right. I guess my problems aren't with the characters, it's with the world created around them?

I'm pretty sure the mentioning/shots of the Aether, the Tessaract, Loki's staff, and Thanos were enough for most to see the movie was still connected to the rest of the MCU.

None of the bolded are mentioned, referenced, or seen in any capacity.

Aether and Tessaract were most definitely shown onscreen, during the Collector's explanation of the stones.

I didn't see the spear but can't say it wasn't in there somewhere.

What were you looking at then during that scene? They were being shown on a screen behind either Gamora or Star-Lord (can't remember which one) while The Collector was examining the Infinity Gem in the orb.

^ What I remember of that scene was a bunch of round objects and the appearance of a Celestial overlaid with The Collector's explanation of what the Infinity Stones were.

It didn't show the Aether or Tesseract themselves. But it showed the Gems within them and explained where they came from etc.

I think it's a good thing that this stood on it's own two feet.

^ Webfoot and Whiskey's assertion is that the objects themselves were in fact shown, but I didn't see them.

If they were shown (and I somehow missed seeing them), my one complaint about the movie would be moot because they're very much 'substantial connections' to the other movies.

I should go see the movie again and be on the lookout for the artifacts in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"