• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Where are all the Marvel games??

If the Insomniac Wolverine game is successful I would love to see that studio give us a massive AAA X-Men game in that universe.

If we get another Avengers game on that level or an X-Men game on that level they really need to take a look at the "duel play" mechanic from Batman Arkham Knight. Rocksteady was able to incorporate a second playable character into their free flow combat formula without co-op. Just take that and figure out how to expand on that formula with a superhero team game where you are using multiple characters to take out a room full of enemies and doing double team moves.

I meant like a third party action adventure game for the PS5 (not the switch) with graphiX like Spider-Man 2018 but with 15 playable characters and an eXtensive skill set for every character. Ultimate Alliance 3 looked like a cheap mobile game compare to Spider-Man 2018, no wonder it is a disappointment.

Avengers and Gotham Knights aren't very received well, while Guardians of the GalaXy had a different gameplay as you are commanding the other 4 characters instead of actually controlling them.

I'd like to see a X-Men in the likes of Arkham Batman and Insomniac Spider-Men.

It really doesn't work that way. You want a character action game, you are going to be limited to very few characters. The more characters you have, the more streamlined the combat has to be. You cannot make combat that you can play with 10 different characters, each with different options, work as well as a game revolving one character.

Eh how so? The only major difference is camera perspective. Like think how Resident Evil Code Veronica jumped to Resident 4. X-Men Legends 1 and 2 also had fancy cutscenes but i imagine a modern X-Men Legends, to have the graphiX of the gameplay and cutscenes look similar.

You have know idea what you are talking about. The combat systems are way different in complexity. The combat in the Legends and Ultimate Alliance games are ultimately simple, with little options to vary it up. Sure, you can have different kinds of powers in Legends 2, but, it was still a choice for 3 powers to be be used. And you did very little with the basic attacks.

It really doesn't work that way. You want a character action game, you are going to be limited to very few characters. The more characters you have, the more streamlined the combat has to be. You cannot make combat that you can play with 10 different characters, each with different options, work as well as a game revolving one character.

You have know idea what you are talking about. The combat systems are way different in complexity. The combat in the Legends and Ultimate Alliance games are ultimately simple, with little options to vary it up. Sure, you can have different kinds of powers in Legends 2, but, it was still a choice for 3 powers to be be used. And you did very little with the basic attacks.
Good lord.
If the Insomniac Wolverine game is successful I would love to see that studio give us a massive AAA X-Men game in that universe.

If we get another Avengers game on that level or an X-Men game on that level they really need to take a look at the "duel play" mechanic from Batman Arkham Knight. Rocksteady was able to incorporate a second playable character into their free flow combat formula without co-op. Just take that and figure out how to expand on that formula with a superhero team game where you are using multiple characters to take out a room full of enemies and doing double team moves.
That would be great! Finally some optimism.

Yeah for me it’s more the experience of being part of the xmen rather than, like, super duper graphics. Like that’s what made the arkham games fun and even legends, when you walked around the mansion you could see how much the developers got each character
Would be fun to roam/play around using the PS5/6 with Storm/Jean/Rogue/Angel flying in the air, Nightcrawler bamfing around, Iceman using ice slides and Gambit/Jubilee making things eXplode by grabbing them.

Back in the day, I was so amazed that we got to do those with the PS2. Who knows what they could with the current tech.

Look at War for Cybertron. It has the kind of roster you want. But, it groups the characters into 4 classes, making a lot of the characters essentially clones of each other.

Avengers tried to do what you are talking about. And the single player campaign reflects what they had to do with that game design.

The designs of Arkham and Spiderman only works with a very limited roster. So, you are going to have to pick between the two.

I don't know why you're having such a reaction... when I say "in the likes of", I meant critically acclaimed. Did I say I want an open world X-Men game like Arkham/Insomniac Spidey.

Also, I forgot to specify, even though I did say eXtensive skill set for every playable character. Its not going to be as confusing as the skill set in Avengers, it had 3 basic power moves but also plenty of skills that would be only unlocked once you play the game a thousand times which didn't happen in X-Men Legends.

So basically take X-Men Legends but in 3rd person and with photo realistic graphiX. Just about a dozen of skills for each playable character, that could be leved up. The skill tree includes energy meter/health meter/xtreme skill and 9 more which should be less confusing than Avengers. I didn't say each character should have a skill tree set as broad as Batman in Arkham and Spider-Man in Insomniac Spider-Man, thats just impossible especially most X-Men don't even carry a weapon/gadgets for battle.

Last edited:
Eh how so? The only major difference is camera perspective. Like think how Resident Evil Code Veronica jumped to Resident 4. X-Men Legends 1 and 2 also had fancy cutscenes but i imagine a modern X-Men Legends, to have the graphiX of the gameplay and cutscenes look similar.
XML/MUA is a 4 player squad based game. The perspective is core to that experience and genre. Change it to 3rd person behind the shoulder and its not the same game, which is fine but it wouldnt feel like a sucessor to XML.

Exactly. The best way to go about creating XML in a modern setting is lean into Diablo for inspiration, expanding on the customization and leveling system

Last edited:
XML/MUA is a 4 player squad based game. The perspective is core to that experience and genre. Change it to 3rd person behind the shoulder and its not the same game, which is fine but it wouldnt feel like a sucessor to XML.

Exactly. The best way to go about creating XML in a modern setting is lean into Diablo for inspiration, expanding on the customization and leveling system
Thats like saying Re1, RE2, RE3, RE0 and RECV aren't successor to RE4.

And you're right, it won't be a successor as it should feature a story not connected to previous games. X-Men Legends 1 and 2 would just serve as inspirations as those are still the best X-Men games to date.

It's not that complicated.

Thats like saying Re1, RE2, RE3, RE0 and RECV aren't successor to RE4.

And you're right, it won't be a successor as it should feature a story not connected to previous games. X-Men Legends 1 and 2 would just serve as inspirations as those are still the best X-Men games to date.

It's not that complicated.
RE as a franchise is much larger than XML and has encompassed so many thhings. Its not the same thing. What you describe would make it fall in line with being part of the larger Marvel games brand but it wouldnt feel like XML at all, which again is fine. I dont know why you are so hung up on the XML title and need whatever Xmen game that comes to be that. They can create a brand new Xmen experience for a new series of games. With XML, you kind of have an idea of what to expect in terms of gameplay. Your idea isnt that though. To revive it 20 years later with such drastic changes rather than modernizing the template seems pointless IMO

RE as a franchise is much larger than XML and has encompassed so many thhings. Its not the same thing. What you describe would make it fall in line with being part of the larger Marvel games brand but it wouldnt feel like XML at all, which again is fine. I dont know why you are so hung up on the XML title and need whatever Xmen game that comes to be that. They can create a brand new Xmen experience for a new series of games. With XML, you kind of have an idea of what to expect in terms of gameplay. Your idea isnt that though. To revive it 20 years later with such drastic changes rather than modernizing the template seems pointless IMO
And your overreaction is pointless. How am I hung up on the X-Men Legends title when I already said.
It would definitely be an eXpensive AAA game and us X-Men fans deserved to play a game like that.

I would name the game as Marvel's X-Men, inline with Marvel's Spider-Man, Marvel's Avengers, Marvel's Guardians of the GalaXy and Marvel's Wolverine.
RelaX dude.

I didn't say copy and paste the old games and paint it with just new graphiX... Heck what i imagine is totally different from those games, but I'm not even going to mention it since you and @Sithborg are having an attitude just because I suggested a X-Men game... Geez.

Are you both funding the neXt game that I need to be grilled like this?

Last edited:
I bought it at release but am only really getting properly into it now. I agree it's a damn good game and pretty under rated. I really hope we get a sequel out of it at some point.
I don't think there would be a sequel because of its sales.

But I hope Marvel continues to shop around their ips to different studios/developers, so we could get more.

And your overreaction is pointless. How am I hung up on the X-Men Legends title when I already said.

RelaX dude.

I didn't say copy and paste the old games and paint it with just new graphiX... Heck what i imagine is totally different from those games, but I'm not even going to mention it since you and @Sithborg are having an attitude just because I suggested a X-Men game... Geez.

Are you both funding the neXt game that I need to be grilled like this?
Grilled? I didnt ask you any questions or interrogate you. Why are you so triggered?

I would also like a Fantastic 4 game. The last one I played was a movie tie in game.

Oh yeah that would be super fun. Especially if they used some of the whackier villains

Oh yeah that would be super fun. Especially if they used some of the whackier villains
I think a modern Fantastic 4 game would be easier to make than a X-Men game with a bunch of playable characters.

Though I could see Marvel waiting for a couple of Fantastic 4 films to come out before committing to it. Guardians of the GalaXy had 2 movies and their game still underperformed.

But a Fantastic 4 game ala Spider-Man 2018 would be really cool, especially if you get to roam around either in New York or space.

• Marvel's Spider-Man
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
  • Marvel's Guardians of the GalaXy
  • Marvel's Wolverine
  • Marvel's Iron Man
  • Marvel's Black Panther

The only misfire (out of the released games) is Avengers especially the game won't be available soon. I hope the future games would be good as well. I feel like Marvel Games is giving 1 Ip at a time with their proper game, and the better the results are, will hopefully lead to way more games.

I didn't include Midnight Suns and Iron Man Vr games since they aren't 3rd person. While I'm still not sure what the Captain America/BP game is.

I still they should take the Insomniac Spider-Man formula to other Marvel IPs. Midnight Suns was a hard sell and personally, I have zero interest playing it. Avengers had some great ideas and the graphics were nice but the gameplay isn't great and the enemy roster wasnt good. I don't really pay attention to mobile games so I don't care about what Marvel does with it.

Then Guardians... I liked this game but limiting it to Star Lord as the main playable, and the rest as merely assisting commands aren't really ideal. The game was literally Star Lord and the Guardians of the GalaXy.

Could that rumor be any more vague?

Not really sure what these rumors mean. What is the shift going to be exactly? Marvel has tons of games in development. It's not like they are developing the games themselves. All the games are being developed and published outside Marvel. Are they going to shift everything in-house? Could Marvel really do it better than Insomniac?

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy focusing on Star-Lord made it a lot better. If they made all the Guardians playable it probably would've ended up more like Avengers, which was a disaster.

A lot of people I've spoken to seem to like Midnight Suns, the ones who have played it at least. But I think for a Marvel video game, an RTS type strategy RPG isn't the best use of those characters.

Avengers wasn't good as Guardians not because how many playable characters there were/are (in the base game). Its because whoever created the Avengers game decided to make it a live service that would go on for years, which didn't happen. Also the shakey camera/skill tree/enemies are big issues to me, which Guardians were better at.

A Guardians of the GalaXy game with the five core, getting the same treatment if done right would have absolutely been better. Though obviously that could mean more work and longer development time.

As for Midnight Suns, based on sales, it flopped. So clearly something didn't appeal to the masses. And that probably should tell Marvel not to make a game similar to it.

Avengers wasn't good as Guardians not because how many playable characters there were/are (in the base game). Its because whoever created the Avengers game decided to make it a live service that would go on for years, which didn't happen. Also the shakey camera/skill tree/enemies are big issues to me, which Guardians were better at.

A Guardians of the GalaXy game with the five core, getting the same treatment if done right would have absolutely been better. Though obviously that could mean more work and longer development time.

As for Midnight Suns, based on sales, it flopped. So clearly something didn't appeal to the masses. And that probably should tell Marvel not to make a game similar to it.

Thing is, I'm not sure how well Guardians of the Galaxy would have worked if everyone was a playable character because it's a single-player experience. They basically modeled the style off of Mass Effect. In the Mass Effect games you are only Shepard with your squad and giving them commands.

But my point this, what is this big shift they are doing and what is it going to do to the games? Even great games can sell badly and not be hits. The Guardians of the Galaxy game is a great example of that, and the director of that title is working on the Iron Man game. Midnight Suns also got good reviews and didn't sell well.

So what is this big shift going to change?

I mean the new WWII Captain America/Black Panther game is being written and directed by Amy Hennig, and she started working on it a while ago pre-whatever this big shift is going to be.

A Guardians of the GalaXy game with the core five as playables would just be like the MCU films. Some would have their own scenes/sections and a feature in which you can easily swap playable characters in battle in an instant, have been done in previous Marv games,which could lead to the game having more play styles and replay value.

As for the big shift, whoever responded to certain recent Marvel games being flops/shut down, was probably just reassuring people that Marvel Games have a plan, and we'd see fewer disappointments and flops along the way. The upcoming Wolverine, Black Panther and Iron Man could potentially be Insomniac Spider-Man's equivalent of those ips. In the past, it did seem that Marvel Games was just licensing these games to anyone who can make games but they weren't as meticulously planned/crafted as the MCU films.

I thought I would hate the other Guardians not being playable but in the end playing as Star Lord and calling on the others for help worked for me.

That game is so under rated.

It is a good game. But still I can't help but wonder what if the other four got the same treatment as Star-Lord. Personally I don't find Star-Lord as a playable character that interesting to use. If there was an option to mainly use Gamora and Groot, that would have been a lot more fun for a game that was already fun.

Unfortunately, the game has underwhelming sales and I don't think we'd get a sequel to dwelve into that idea.

I want a new Marvel fighting game. And with characters we usually don't get to play with, like:

Miles
Gwen
Daredevil
Namor
Kamala
Wanda
Pietro
The F4
Black Cat
Green Goblin
Doc Ock, etc...

And lots of X-Men.

And speaking of which, how soon we can realistically expect an X-Men game? Will they wait for the MCU reboot? =(

A Guardians of the GalaXy game with the core five as playables would just be like the MCU films. Some would have their own scenes/sections and a feature in which you can easily swap playable characters in battle in an instant, have been done in previous Marv games,which could lead to the game having more play styles and replay value.

As for the big shift, whoever responded to certain recent Marvel games being flops/shut down, was probably just reassuring people that Marvel Games have a plan, and we'd see fewer disappointments and flops along the way. The upcoming Wolverine, Black Panther and Iron Man could potentially be Insomniac Spider-Man's equivalent of those ips. In the past, it did seem that Marvel Games was just licensing these games to anyone who can make games but they weren't as meticulously planned/crafted as the MCU films.

The problem with that mindset is that some of the ones that flopped were good games. Avengers game with all the Avengers as playable characters also flopped and did not do well. That game had lots of money and talent behind it too.

You can't always guarantee what's going to flop and what's going to be a success.

Guardians of the Galaxy video game was generally well reviewed, and most gamers like it as well, but it was not a huge seller.

Marvel's Midnight Suns generally well-reviewed by critics. Wasn't a huge success.

The Iron Man and Black Panther games aren't being made by Insomniac, so we'll see.

The common thread seems to be is that it's easier for a game developer to focus on a single hero. And modern AAA video games struggle with superhero teams. Square Enix made Avengers in a live service looter shooter type game, and gamers didn't like that.

With a single-player action game for a superhero property, you it makes it more immersive, tighter, and focused on that hero. Making it a superhero team muddies that up. Case in point, look at all the problems Suicide Squad Kills the Justice League is having, and that's freaking ROCKSTEADY, the makers of the Batman Arkham series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"