Sequels Who's available for "Avengers 5"?

MasterCat

Civilian
Reaction score
We know Disney wants to give the Avengers series a rest after 2019 because of budget issues, but after awhile they'll be back. So who's available for the Avengers's next appearance after 2019?

1. Captain America II - Sebastian Stan will still have four films on his contract, or they could get Mackie to sign a new one.
2. Captain Marvel - it would probably be Brie Larson's fourth contract film.
3. The Hulk - Ruffalo still has one film after Avengers 4, plus the Hulk is trivial to recast.
4. Clint Barton - if Renner signed a standard contract, he has two films left.
5. Scarlet Witch - Elizabeth Olsen will probably put in her fourth contractual appearance in Avengers 4.
6&7. Ant-Man & Wasp - this would be Paul Rudd's last contractual appearance, unless there's no Ant-Man and the Wasp sequel.
8. Doctor Strange - Benefit Cucumber hasn't spoken about his contract, but apparently Marvel won't sign leads for less than five films, or Doctor Strange would be Joaquin Phoenix instead.

Maybes, in estimated order of probability:
9. Thor - Chris Hemsworth can say no or ask for too much money, but that probably won't happen unless Disney refuses to add a Thor 4 to their release schedule.
10. Falcon - Mackie might want to walk away, or he may re-up as Captain America II.
11. Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman will demand a raise for this.
12. Spider-Man - this will require negotiations with Sony, not just Tom Holland.

With Han Solo failing at the box office, and some say it could be because if it's not Harrison Ford in the role, then they will reject it, is it possible for Disney execs to panic and sign RDJ and Chris Evans for a few more movies?

My prediction for an Avengers 5 line-up would be:

1. Black Panther - No way this won't happen. Black Panther is hugely popular right now.

2. Doctor Strange - Fits the Thor role of a mystical hero with God-like powers (Let's face it: his magic is extremely powerful).

3. Captain Marvel - They're not introducing her in her solo film and giving her a major role in Avengers 4 for nothing. She's going to be the Captain America of the group.

4. Spider-Man - Iconic, very popular hero. Also: you need the Hawkeye-type character who is the relatable, everyday person who acts as the audience surrogate.

5. She-Hulk - I think Hulk by this point will be a retired character (perhaps make the odd guest appearance here and there), and Avengers 5 will kind of do what they did with Hawkeye and Black Widow in introducing two previously unseen characters. She-Hulk will be one of those. She's a character easy enough to understand without her own film (a green-skinned lawyer with super-strength) and she's often the supporting character in the comics anyway.

6. Quake - Hopefully Avengers 4 will see a cameo from the Agents of SHIELD, and even if it doesn't I can see them bringing Quake over to the films. Like She-Hulk she doesn't need much of an introduction really. Just introduce her as SHIELD agent Daisy Johnson who happens to have earthquake superpowers. She could fulfil the Black Widow role.

I don't think Avengers 5 will have any more than six Avengers. I think after the no doubt epic conclusion of Avengers 4 they'll go small-scale again and build back up to a big event movie on the scale of Infinity War and Avengers 4.

The Big Bad will be a Loki-type villain; I'm thinking Doctor Doom, who - yes - is bigger than Loki, but isn't a massive galactic threat like Thanos. He's more Earth-centric like Loki and the Chitauri were.

My prediction for an Avengers 5 line-up would be:

1. Black Panther - No way this won't happen. Black Panther is hugely popular right now.

2. Doctor Strange - Fits the Thor role of a mystical hero with God-like powers (Let's face it: his magic is extremely powerful).

3. Captain Marvel - They're not introducing her in her solo film and giving her a major role in Avengers 4 for nothing. She's going to be the Captain America of the group.

4. Spider-Man - Iconic, very popular hero. Also: you need the Hawkeye-type character who is the relatable, everyday person who acts as the audience surrogate.

5. She-Hulk - I think Hulk by this point will be a retired character (perhaps make the odd guest appearance here and there), and Avengers 5 will kind of do what they did with Hawkeye and Black Widow in introducing two previously unseen characters. She-Hulk will be one of those. She's a character easy enough to understand without her own film (a green-skinned lawyer with super-strength) and she's often the supporting character in the comics anyway.

6. Quake - Hopefully Avengers 4 will see a cameo from the Agents of SHIELD, and even if it doesn't I can see them bringing Quake over to the films. Like She-Hulk she doesn't need much of an introduction really. Just introduce her as SHIELD agent Daisy Johnson who happens to have earthquake superpowers. She could fulfil the Black Widow role.

I don't think Avengers 5 will have any more than six Avengers. I think after the no doubt epic conclusion of Avengers 4 they'll go small-scale again and build back up to a big event movie on the scale of Infinity War and Avengers 4.

The Big Bad will be a Loki-type villain; I'm thinking Doctor Doom, who - yes - is bigger than Loki, but isn't a massive galactic threat like Thanos. He's more Earth-centric like Loki and the Chitauri were.

1. Would you bet money that it's T'Challa and not Shuri? Chadwick Boseman is locked into a 5-film contract where he was paid $875k for a film that grossed more than any Iron Man film. Once he's made 5 contractual appearances (Civil War, BP, IW, BP2, one more) he'll want $50 million like RDJ.

2&3. Yes.

4. Tom Holland has a very complicated contract that has to be renewed as soon as Sony releases "Spider-Man 3". You can't write a script that depends on Spidey to carry it.

5. People already like regular Hulk and you don't even need to re-hire Ruffalo, who will still have a film on his contract after A4 anyway.

6. I'd bet money against the Agents of SHIELD actors even having a cameo. Clark Gregg was invited to the Atlanta sound stage Oct. 7 for a huge "class photo" of people who were filming Ant-Man & the Wasp and A4 and posted that he missed it because he was with the other TV actors.
Even if they put Quake in a film, she wouldn't count as an Avenger. They were already completely separate from SHIELD in the aftermath of CA: Winter Soldier.

Captain America, Ant-Man, Wasp & Scarlet Witch are core Avengers, so I don't know why you figure they would leave out Rudd, Lily & Olsen and not use BuckyCap.
When Carol Danvers first joined the comics Avengers in '78, the core team was Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Black Panther, Henry Pym, the Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Beast & Wonder Man. Replace Iron Man with Strange, the joking young scientist Beast with Spider-Man if Sony allows, and Vision with no one and it seems like a good team.

As for the villain... that depends entirely on the FOX situation. It's going to be tough if they can't use Kang or Doctor Doom.

1. Would you bet money that it's T'Challa and not Shuri? Chadwick Boseman is locked into a 5-film contract where he was paid $875k for a film that grossed more than any Iron Man film. Once he's made 5 contractual appearances (Civil War, BP, IW, BP2, one more) he'll want $50 million like RDJ.
They won't change Black Panther that quick. They won't want to change a formula so soon that made tons of money at the Box Office. I think Disney will pay however much they need for Chadwick Boseman to be in the Avengers movies, and over time they'll maybe have another character take on the Black Panther mantle.

4. Tom Holland has a very complicated contract that has to be renewed as soon as Sony releases "Spider-Man 3". You can't write a script that depends on Spidey to carry it.
It's a very easy contract though. Spider-Man in Avengers films benefits both Disney and Sony. Sony will jump at that opportunity. In fact, I expect the inevitable Spider-Man 3 contract to actually be a new five film deal across Avengers movies and other appearances for Peter Parker.

5. People already like regular Hulk and you don't even need to re-hire Ruffalo, who will still have a film on his contract after A4 anyway.
True, but I don't know if Hulk without Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner would work on a recurring basis. You need the Jeykll to the Mr Hyde. Mark Ruffalo will want to move on eventually. I could be wrong though.

6. I'd bet money against the Agents of SHIELD actors even having a cameo. Clark Gregg was invited to the Atlanta sound stage Oct. 7 for a huge "class photo" of people who were filming Ant-Man & the Wasp and A4 and posted that he missed it because he was with the other TV actors.
Even if they put Quake in a film, she wouldn't count as an Avenger. They were already completely separate from SHIELD in the aftermath of CA: Winter Soldier.
She'd count if they introduced her as an Avenger ala Black Widow.

Captain America, Ant-Man, Wasp & Scarlet Witch are core Avengers, so I don't know why you figure they would leave out Rudd, Lily & Olsen and not use BuckyCap.
My thinking is that they won't want a big cast in Avengers 5 by the time it releases. They'll want things to go 'back to basics' with six Avengers as in Avengers Assemble. At the same time, they'll also want to keep things fresh and new rather than just relying on characters who have already been introduced - just as they did with Hawkeye and Black Widow in AA. I expect Ant-Man and Scarlet Witch would be re-introduced for an Avengers 5 follow-up (which would mirror Scarlet Witch coming into the second original Avengers follow-up in Age of Ultron), and then we'd get even more characters with whoever has been reintroduced or not been seen in an Avengers movie since in the Avengers two-parter taking on the next over-arching big bad.

As for the villain... that depends entirely on the FOX situation. It's going to be tough if they can't use Kang or Doctor Doom.
The Fox situation will likely have been sorted before A5 is released. I don't think we'll see a fifth Avengers until at least 2023.

Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are all pretty much 100% certain to appear. They are the new big three. Spiderman is virtually guaranteed as well unless something disastrous happens with the Sony deal. But Sony knows that sticking with the MCU is where the money's at.

Beyond that things are far less certain. I tend to think that with so many franchises now, non-leads like Hawkeye, Falcon, Bucky and Scarlet Witch will be relegated to cameos at best in Avengers movies. The execs will want to focus on the leads.

There seems to be genuine movement on a Black Widow franchise, so if Scarjo is up for sticking around it seems likely that she will be the holdover from the old Avengers. Thor and Hulk both got a new lease in life in Ragnarok so their continued role in the MCU seems likely. But will they continue to be Avengers? Thor could join the Gotg.

It'd be nice to see Ant-Man and the Wasp as official Avengers members. They need some love.

And finally, it seems likely that at least one brand new character, from one of the new phase 4 IPs will make their Avenger's debut. Nova? Captain Britain? Sersi? All in all, I guess the Avenger's 5 lineup will consist of Spiderman, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, The Wasp, Black Widow and one or two more mystery new comers.

Last edited:
Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel are all pretty much 100% certain to appear. They are the new big three. Spiderman is virtually guaranteed as well unless something disastrous happens with the Sony deal. But Sony knows that sticking with the MCU is where the money's at.

Beyond that things are far less certain. I tend to think that with so many franchises now, non-leads like Hawkeye, Falcon, Bucky and Scarlet Witch will be relegated to cameos at best in Avengers movies. The execs will want to focus on the leads.

There seems to be genuine movement on a Black Widow franchise, so if Scarjo is up for sticking around it seems likely that she will be the holdover from the old Avengers. Thor and Hulk both got a new lease in life in Ragnarok so their continued role in the MCU seems likely. But will they continue to be Avengers? Thor could join the Gotg.

It'd be nice to see Ant-Man and the Wasp as official Avengers members. They need some love.

And finally, it seems likely that at least one brand new character, from one of the new phase 4 IPs will make their Avenger's debut. Nova? Captain Britain? Sersi? All in all, I guess the Avenger's 5 lineup will consist of Spiderman, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, The Wasp, Black Widow and one or two more mystery new comers.

Perhaps a certain Thing?

11. Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman will demand a raise for this.

There's pretty much no way Black Panther is not in the next Avengers. He's had the biggest solo hit of the entire MCU. They're gonna want to bank on that (notice how heavily all the later Infinity War promos played up his presence), especially if we're losing some of the original Avengers like Iron Man or Cap.

There's pretty much no way Black Panther is not in the next Avengers. He's had the biggest solo hit of the entire MCU. They're gonna want to bank on that (notice how heavily all the later Infinity War promos played up his presence), especially if we're losing some of the original Avengers like Iron Man or Cap.

There's a limit on how much they can pay one star in an ensemble cast, though. RDJ has pushed that to the breaking point and he's a much better actor than Boseman.
But maybe Avengers 5 will come out before BP3, which would make it a contract film. Then they kill him off at the end of BP3's first act and Letitia Wright gets to be Black Panther.

There's a limit on how much they can pay one star in an ensemble cast, though.

You're seriously overestimating how much they'd be paying him under a new contract. Black Panther has been the biggest solo movie of the entire MCU thus far. They're not gonna keep making Avengers movies and then not have him on the team.

You have Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man and Doctor Strange and that's a ridiculously marketable core 4.

You have Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Spider-Man and Doctor Strange and that's a ridiculously marketable core 4.

I'll provisionally agree with that, but let's see how much Captain Marvel actually makes. :)

• Captain Marvel (taking over from Captain America)
  • Black Panther (taking over from Ironman)
  • Doctor Strange (replacing Thor, who'll go more cosmic)
  • Ant Man & the Wasp (the duo depending on their own trilogy)
  • Spider-Man
  • Scarlet Witch (a replacement for Black Widow, and a sidekick (of sorts) to Strange)

I guess we'll probably have Sam & Bucky in the mix somewhere, especially if they're contracted (I think Stan has a few more to fulfil). I don't think we're going to see Tasha or Clint after Avengers 4 though, nor do I expect us to see Stark (he'll make the sacrifice) or Hulk (he'll be killed off).

I further have a real hard time with the idea that the AoS cast will transition into the big screen; they've been kept separate, and short of the nods here and there, and the fact that Coulson started on the big screen, there's nothing that specifically connects them. Quake - as unfortunate as it is, likely isn't going to be joining the Avengers.

I don't see why Thor has "to go more cosmic" if Hemsworth re-ups. Ragnarok even hinted that the surviving Asgardians would immigrate to Norway. There's a lot of fun Kirby-era stuff to adapt even without the Donald Blake persona, like fighting the Enchantress and Jane Foster dating Hercules.

I can't imagine them killing off Hulk. A4 will only be Ruffalo's 5th film on a contract of 6 and he's trivial to recast.

why are you not counting the fact all the dead people in are in avengers 4 and that counts as an apperance

Black Panther's role in Infinity War and Avengers 4 is small, but though. The Russos and Disney clearly did not expect BP to be a big success.

I don't see why Thor has "to go more cosmic" if Hemsworth re-ups. Ragnarok even hinted that the surviving Asgardians would immigrate to Norway. There's a lot of fun Kirby-era stuff to adapt even without the Donald Blake persona, like fighting the Enchantress and Jane Foster dating Hercules.
I just don't see the Asgardians settling on Earth, and Ragnarok worked (in my opinion) not just because of the director, cast and crew, but because it didn't take place on Earth.

If Thor 4 happens on Earth, you're going to have to explain pretty clearly where all the other Avengers are, more to the point you've not got (essentially) a God.

Jane Foster (as far as the MCU is concerned) is done; Natalie Portman wasn't fond of her role, nor her contract(s) within the MCU, so I doubt we'll be seeing her again - thankfully.

I can't imagine them killing off Hulk. A4 will only be Ruffalo's 5th film on a contract of 6 and he's trivial to recast.
I think he'll be a surprise death - few people (if any?) would expect to see him defeated. A contract just means he's got a number of films to fulfil (if) they (Marvel) wish to use him. It doesn't mean there will be that many films.

Considering what transpired between him (Banner & Hulk) in A3, he's got to get his spotlight in A4, but at the same time, I suspect he'll be one of the casualties - or at least Hulk wont be the Hulk we've come to know. I've read all sorts of rumours about Banner & Hulk splitting, about Hulk becoming 'professor hulk' and even about him evolving into Red Hulk.

Make sure Vision comes back, and then be darn sure that you have Scarlet Witch and Vision in the group. I thought their story and role in Infinity War was vastly underrated.

Also Wanda and her power would be a great theme to build a major story arc around.

I think the go forward initially will be:

Captain Marvel
Falcon
Winter Soldier (probably as new Cap)
Vision
Scarlet Witch
War Machine (perhaps as a new Iron Man)

I think Black Panther will be in the movie, but he's really the perfect reserve who gets called in on the big things, but not a regular member.

Spiderman probably gets thrown in there as well although I object.

If you think about it War Machine really makes the most sense to 'promote' into a major role in the universe. Cheadle is a strong enough actor that he can carry the weight and take a bigger role. Rhodey has the government relationships to be the main point of contact for the team and gov't, not to mention his connection to Stark allows him access to all the tech improvements. The only problem is War Machine is just a kind of boring character/power set. Let him adopt the flashier iron man tech to take over for Stark and I think he would work really well. You could easily retire RDJ into brief cameos.

Who knows, but I think Vision and Scarlet Witch are by far the most interesting characters left and I think their stories could go much deeper.

What they should really do is do no more Avengers movies for 6 or 7 years. Finish out however many sequels they've got lined up... Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Spiderman, Thor, whoever and then just pull a full reboot on the whole thing with an entirely different cast. Everyone about 10-15 years younger.

Black Panther's role in Infinity War and Avengers 4 is small, but though. The Russos and Disney clearly did not expect BP to be a big success.

Because Black Panther came out the same year. That's not a problem for Avengers 5.

People really need to let go of this theme that Bucky will become Captain America II. It's not going to happen.

Regarding reserves too, as stated above, with Black Panther being the King of Wakanda, and Doctor Strange being the protector of the Time Stone (which may or may not exist after Avengers 4) I wouldn't think they'd be much more than reserves(?)

Besides, with Captain Marvel on the team (and considering how powerset) do we really need a vast number of Avengers? She'd presumably be able to handle a good portion of threats all by her lonesome - if anything, any other Avenger would merely be supporting her, rescuing civilians, disposing of alien grunts and the like.

I reckon it will happen. People used to say we would never see civil war on screen too and that’s happened.

To answer the thread title, I’m absolutely ready! I feel like someone on their honeymoon. I’ve just gone but I can go again and again!

People really need to let go of this theme that Bucky will become Captain America II. It's not going to happen.

Regarding reserves too, as stated above, with Black Panther being the King of Wakanda, and Doctor Strange being the protector of the Time Stone (which may or may not exist after Avengers 4) I wouldn't think they'd be much more than reserves(?)

Besides, with Captain Marvel on the team (and considering how powerset) do we really need a vast number of Avengers? She'd presumably be able to handle a good portion of threats all by her lonesome - if anything, any other Avenger would merely be supporting her, rescuing civilians, disposing of alien grunts and the like.

Black Panther has the highest grossing solo film of the entire MCU. He’ll be here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"