Wonder Woman Rotten Tomatoes Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWithNoName18

Sidekick
Reaction score
We unfortunately have 3 rotten DCEU movies in a row with Suicide Squad's release.

How do you predict Wonder Woman will be recieved by critics? Do you have hope in Jenkins/Johns/Gadot?

Last edited:
Soon someone will create WW positivity thread.

K3Tffn6.jpg

:hehe:

As has been noted before… One of the flaws of the RT system is that it converts what are mostly “analogue” movie scores (a rating out of 3 or 4 [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT]s; a 1 to 10 scale; a letter grade [B-, C+]; etc.) into binary (either/only Fresh or Rotten).

So under RT’s criteria, (hypothetically) 100 reviews each with a 59% score (only one shy of Fresh) would get translated to 100 failing grades. I.e., the aggregate score wouldn’t be 59%/Rotten; it would be 0%/Rotten. :wow:

As has been noted before… One of the flaws of the RT system is that it converts what are mostly “analogue” movie scores (a rating out of 3 or 4 [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT]s; a 1 to 10 scale; a letter grade [B-, C+]; etc.) into binary (either/only Fresh or Rotten).

So under RT’s criteria, (hypothetically) 100 reviews each with a 59% score (only one shy of Fresh) would get translated to 100 failing grades. I.e., the aggregate score wouldn’t be 59%/Rotten; it would be 0%/Rotten. :wow:

Two problems with your logic. One, Rotten Tomatoes *doesn't* convert movie scores from letters or X/10 into "fresh/rotten". The critics themselves say "do you view this movie as fresh or rotten". There is no inaccuracy: a score is fresh because that critic says its fresh.

Second, your hypothetical scenario isn't really relevant to reality. No movie has every critic giving it the same percentage score, it always follows a bell curve of some shape. Thus, to actually have every score be Rotten, the vast majority of those scores are going to be *waaaay* lower than 59%. And that's setting aside the issue that a movie which can't even get *one* critic to give it a passing grade, almost certainly deserves that 0%.

Basically, you say "flaws of Rotten Tomatoes", when those are really the primary strengths of the site. Compare that to Metacritic, which creates the illusion of greater precision, through the means of arbitrarily converting scores into percentile equivalents, and weighting them invisibly besides.

Really bummed to hear about SS. 3 strikes? That puts an incredible amount of pressure on both WW and JL, especially since SS trailers were widely considered incredible.

Jenkins does have a good (if short resume) and has wanted to do the character for years. The biggest criticism from all the previously reviewed DC movies haven't been characters, visuals, or action sequences but story and editing. Based on some observation on both SS and BVS the post production for both was a mess. Snyder had to recut to make his movie shorter and less violent. And Ayer had to change up his tone and style.

Really hope Geoff Johns can make sure Patty's Wonder Woman gets a better treatment.

Like the cast/director/writers. I'll be really bummed if Wonder Woman gets scathing reviews. And if we get another DC movie in the 20's

Jenkins does have a good (if short resume) and has wanted to do the character for years. The biggest criticism from all the previously reviewed DC movies haven't been characters, visuals, or action sequences but story and editing. Based on some observation on both SS and BVS the post production for both was a mess. Snyder had to recut to make his movie shorter and less violent. And Ayer had to change up his tone and style.

Really hope Geoff Johns can make sure Patty's Wonder Woman gets a better treatment.

Like the cast/director/writers. I'll be really bummed if Wonder Woman gets scathing reviews. And if we get another DC movie in the 20's

I will be really, really bummed too. However, before I even saw BvS, (and I haven't watched SS yet), I always had more faith in Patty Jenkins than Snyder or Ayer. Both of them - with the exception of maybe Fury for Ayer - are very style over substance. Whereas Jenkins is story first and foremost.

Really bummed to hear about SS. 3 strikes? That puts an incredible amount of pressure on both WW and JL, especially since SS trailers were widely considered incredible.

Yes 3 strikes for DCEU now. And IMO Justice League is a no-brainer now, that movie won't be good. But who knows maybe if one or two of Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg would deliver.

I really liked MoS; never understood the hate it received. I liked BvS but understand why others didn't ...and now Suicide Squad. :( I'm really hoping that this 3rd strike doesn't now make it a common trend to automatically hate the DCEU as a whole. I mean, IM2, IM3, TIH, and the Thor movies weren't exactly universally praised MCU movies by any stretch, but people still flock out to see them.

I think DC really rushed their universe out the gate and it's now shooting them in the foot. We should have got a MoS 2, then a solo Batman and WW first, then BvS, then JL, then lead into Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash, etc solo movies from there....

I really liked MoS; never understood the hate it received. I liked BvS but understand why others didn't ...and now Suicide Squad. :( I'm really hoping that this 3rd strike doesn't now make it a common trend to automatically hate the DCEU as a whole. I mean, IM2, IM3, TIH, and the Thor movies weren't exactly universally praised MCU movies by any stretch, but people still flock out to see them.

I think DC really rushed their universe out the gate and it's now shooting them in the foot. We should have got a MoS 2, then a solo Batman and WW first, then BvS, then JL, then lead into Aquaman, Cyborg, Flash, etc solo movies from there....

Agreed, WB should have released a solo Batman movie after MoS and then followed it up by WW, Flash, Aquaman before going Justice League.

Now Suicide Squad is a different thing altogether, it was Ayer who approached WB with the idea and he convinced them to make a movie, so we were getting Suicide Squad movie anyway.

Agreed, WB should have released a solo Batman movie after MoS and then followed it up by WW, Flash, Aquaman before going Justice League.

In other words, WB should have copied Marvel's formula. What you fail to realize is that Marvel had to release the solo movies first. Only a handful of people knew anything about Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. Also, why are you guys so obsessed with RT? If Suicide Squad ends up making a ton of money, do you think WB will sit around crying about RT scores? If RT scores mattered, Paramount would have stopped making Transformers a long time ago. Perhaps it is best to wait and see how the audience reacts to the movie. Right now it is projected to make $133 million opening weekend. It was announced this morning that opening day in Korea and France were +58% & +57% compared to BvS.

In other words, WB should have copied Marvel's formula. What you fail to realize is that Marvel had to release the solo movies first. Only a handful of people knew anything about Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. Also, why are you guys so obsessed with RT? If Suicide Squad ends up making a ton of money, do you think WB will sit around crying about RT scores? If RT scores mattered, Paramount would have stopped making Transformers a long time ago. Perhaps it is best to wait and see how the audience reacts to the movie. Right now it is projected to make $133 million opening weekend. It was announced this morning that opening day in Korea and France were +58% & +57% compared to BvS.

I know, I was thinking the same way till the Suicide Squad release. Now, let's hope for the best.

I actually think Wonder Woman will be the DC movie that breaks the DC curse.

Which would be a huge irony, given Warners lack of interest in the character over the years.

I actually think Wonder Woman will be the DC movie that breaks the DC curse.

Which would be a huge irony, given Warners lack of interest in the character over the years.

Provided that Warner Bros doesn't try to interfere and meddle with more studio decisions that take away from the original vision. I would not put it past WB to try that, given what apparently happened with Suicide Squad.

Yes 3 strikes for DCEU now. And IMO Justice League is a no-brainer now, that movie won't be good. But who knows maybe if one or two of Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg would deliver.
Dude, they haven't even finished filming yet.

And I can't believe everyone here places so much emphasis on such a heavily flawed website (RT). These flaws have been demonstrated in this very thread.

Why so much hate/power given to RT? They're just the messengers, not the one making the movies.....

Why so much hate/power given to RT? They're just the messengers, not the one making the movies.....

Because its easier to blame the messenger than grapple with the fact that the movie wouldn't be getting a 26% if it were good? Its always the critics' fault for not raving about a movie, or the audiences' fault for not going to see the movie. Its never the studio's fault for making a crappy movie.

That said, I really do hope Wonder Woman is decent, or at least okay. More than any other movie in the DC lineup, it needs to be at least adequate, lest it send WB into a spiral of "movies must not have women".

I don't think Marvel is the baseline for comic films, I think their brand heroes are lesser-known and are afforded less expectations, thus higher received by critics.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman - these are icons. Bar Spider-Man or the X-Men, does Marvel even really compare? And with these icons, come so many expectations...I expect nothing more of a polarizing response because of all that pressure the Marvel films and brand doesn't have.

For WW the optimism in me says MoS territory. 55-65%. You'll get a full host of confusion (Why doesn't she fly? Why is it WW1? Where is her invisible jet? Why is she murdering people with a sword?) and preconceptions of the character that date to Lynda Carter's interpretation (like Cavill was compared to Reeves) that deter the modern characterization of Wonder Woman. I think part of this could have been avoided if we had a WW film earlier, say in the '00s, that paid tribute to a pre-New 52 WW so critics would be more open to the modern characterization of WW.

This film has to fit 75 years of the character into one solid interpretation. It's an impossible task to please a majority. 55-65% IMO. I'd be more optimistic - say above 70, but critics have an easy target: Gal Gadot. (Though my own personal opinion, I think her acting is solid enough and will be a fine WW.)

Last edited:
70-80%

I know it sounds cynical, but even if this film is the same level of quality as BvS and Suicide Squad it'll get a bump from critics for socially "empowering" young women.

Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way critics seem to roll. Movies with social stigma have critical armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"