Wonder Woman Rotten Tomatoes Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that gate, the same thing can be said about Justice League's box office prospect since The Avengers was the first out of the gate.

The mixed reception of the DCEU up to this point will do more to hurt Justice League than being second to the Avengers.

I am beyond happy. Congratulations to Patty, Gal, Chris, Zack, Geoff and everyone else who worked so hard on this film. This is amazing. This makes me so much more excited for seeing the movie tonight! (As if I wasn't pumped before the reviews...)

Also, from what I'm hearing, WW proves that Patty is a director that is able to bring out the best in the cast she is given. Also, people have been giving WB so much flak for pumping out "trash" DCEU movies. I hope this shows people that WB has the ability to learn from their mistakes. AND, it also sounds like WB stepped back and let Patty make the film as she intended, with very little studio interference. I hope to see this method translate into JL and the following DCEU films.

(I guess after all the reviews and reactions from fellow Hypesters, my reaction after watching it tonight isn't gonna matter huh :oldrazz:)

Last edited:
Don't count out Captain Marvel just yet. They put Dr. Strange and the Guardians Of The Galaxy healthily past half a billion on their debut, which is Wonder Woman's ballpark right about now.

More than anything, Marvel can no longer release a "pretty good" movie and expect to get lauded for having the first big female superhero film. They have to put their A-game in.

With regard to Captain Marvel, I'm not counting this movie out by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I think it's going to be one of their stronger efforts.

They wont. WW is getting the bump for being 1st out of the gate. Captain Marvel wont have that advantage.

No. WW is getting a bump (has an advantage) because the character is an icon. Let's be honest here. I feel pretty confident that Gal did a very fine job and I'm happy about that. Brie Larson is a world class actor, Marvel has 2 very fine writers who have been working on a script for quite some time, and I'm quite sure their A game is in play.

I think it's moot on both counts.

It makes for more comparisons, but if either are good they'll be successful.

Marvel has shown it can take unknown heroes and make very successful movies from them.

Justice League has much more iconic and well-known characters than Avengers.

I agree. Both will be successful if they are good. JL is now at a bit of a disadvantage IMO when it comes to the team up movies.

The mixed reception of the DCEU up to this point will do more to hurt Justice League than being second to the Avengers.

Not to mention the likelihood of Justice League being inferior to Wonder Woman and The Avengers is looking pretty high. Its opening weekend should be big of course, but after that it's likely freefall.

Does that apply to Justice League as well for not being first out of the gate?

Most likely. Audiences have already seen the big team up movie with the Avengers. Marvel beat DC with the big team up movie and now DC has beaten Marvel with the first female lead comic book movie.

Not to mention the likelihood of Justice League being inferior to Wonder Woman and The Avengers is looking pretty high. Its opening weekend should be big of course, but after that it's likely freefall.

I've been thinking about it, and I kinda get WB's decision to fasttrack JL and put all their eggs in the basket that was Snyder. Sure, they could have waited after BVS and not assume that was a sure thing, but no matter how you slice it, if the movie was delayed, it'd be facing off against an Avengers movie in 2018 and 2019. So it feels like they're trying to get JL out of the way and get it over with so they can move on to their next step of damage control.

Thankfully, now that they do have a sure thing in Wonder Woman, they have a buffer going forward. The first movie after Aquaman to be greenlit/fasttracked will definitely be WW2.

Most likely. Audiences have already seen the big team up movie with the Avengers. Marvel beat DC with the big team up movie and now DC has beaten Marvel with the first female lead comic book movie.

I think we all understand the importance of both WW and CM. That being said, WW isn't going to benefit significantly at the BO because it's the first big budget CBM starring and directed by a woman. It's going to do well because WW is well known and people like it. In fact, I think it could be argued that CM will benefit a lot if WW is successful. What WW has going for it is WONDER WOMAN. She is awesome and if it's a good movie, it will help float all boats. Marvel has done that with all their movies (regardless of race and gender). Black Panther isn't going to make more money than a black DCEU character because Marvel did it first. It's going to make more money "IF" the character is well known and a movie about a black superhero is kick@$$. WB/DCEU could well be the beneficiary of Marvel's BP movie.

Don't count out Captain Marvel just yet. They put Dr. Strange and the Guardians Of The Galaxy healthily past half a billion on their debut, which is Wonder Woman's ballpark right about now.

More than anything, Marvel can no longer release a "pretty good" movie and expect to get lauded for having the first big female superhero film. They have to put their A-game in.

I'm sure Captain Marvel movie will be great, Brie Larson is a good actress and has a charismatic personality and Marvel Studios has done a great job of making movies based on good characterization and well written stories.

Thankfully, now that they do have a sure thing in Wonder Woman, they have a buffer going forward. The first movie after Aquaman to be greenlit/fasttracked will definitely be WW2.

Well, Batgirl and Batman movies have already been green-lighted. Flash movie just needs a director, which I'm sure they will announce shortly.

There is no need for any "damage control".

I think we all understand the importance of both WW and CM. That being said, WW isn't going to benefit significantly at the BO because it's the first big budget CBM starring and directed by a woman. It's going to do well because WW is well known and people like it. In fact, I think it could be argued that CM will benefit a lot if WW is successful. What WW has going for it is WONDER WOMAN. She is awesome and if it's a good movie, it will help float all boats. Marvel has done that with all their movies (regardless of race and gender). Black Panther isn't going to make more money than a black DCEU character because Marvel did it first. It's going to make more money "IF" the character is well known and a movie about a black superhero is kick@$$. WB/DCEU could well be the beneficiary of Marvel's BP movie.

I cant take what you say seriously when you say stuff like that. Of course its going to benefit from being the first. Its not the only reason it will do well but it might be the biggest why its most likely going to exceed expectations. People are going to want to support the first one so they are assured a 2nd one. They want to kill the "women can open a movie" talk that persisted due to films like Catwomen.

Last edited:
Hello,
More fresh rating is coming: http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=35280153&postcount=967

ipRzAid.gif

I cant take what you say seriously when you say stuff like that. Of course its going to benefit from being the first.

I don't know. When something new succeeds, there is this hindsight effect, which makes it seem like its success was inevitable, and that it therefore benefited from being the first.

But, back before Avengers succeeded beyond anyone's expectations, a lot of people were saying that it might just perform like an IM movie, and nobody really knew how a mash-up would be perceived by critics.

After Guardians of the Galaxy made a big splash, it became easy to rationalize that by saying stuff like, "people wanted something new and fresh," but going into it, there was really no guarantee that audiences would respond that way.

So, in this case, I'm not sure that simply being the first big budget superhero movie based on a female character, with a woman directing, was a big advantage.

That alone wasn't going to interest people, guarantee critical acclaim, or box office success.

Now that the movie has apparently delivered, it will be easy to say that it got a boost from that, but I'm not sure it was really an innate advantage. It's just going to feel like one now because apparently, instead of being a disappointment, the movie delivers an amazing experience that people can be excited about.

Last edited:

Captain Marvel is going to be the first time in a while where Marvel are going to have to really up their game.

I cant take what you say seriously when you say stuff like that. Of course its going to benefit from being the first. Its not the only reason it will do well but it might be the biggest why its most likely going to exceed expectations. People are going to want to support the first one so they are assured a 2nd one. They want to kill the "women can open a movie" talk that persisted due to films like Catwomen.

Then don't.

I don't know. When something new succeeds, there is this hindsight effect, which makes it seem like its success was inevitable, and that it therefore benefited from being the first.

But, back before Avengers succeeded beyond anyone's expectations, a lot of people were saying that it might just perform like an IM movie, and nobody really knew how a mash-up would be perceived by critics.

After Guardians of the Galaxy made a big splash, it became easy to rationalize that by saying stuff like, "people wanted something new and fresh," but going into it, there was really no guarantee that audiences would respond that way.

So, in this case, I'm not sure that simply being the first big budget superhero movie based on a female character, with a woman directing, was a big advantage.

That alone wasn't going to interest people, guarantee critical acclaim, or box office success.

Now that the movie has apparently delivered, it will be easy to say that it got a boost from that, but I'm not sure it was really an innate advantage. It's just going to feel like one now because apparently, instead of being a disappointment, the movie delivers an amazing experience that people can be excited about.

Ding, ding, ding....that's the basic idea. There are a lot of variables in play, BUT this is certainly a strong possibility IMO.

Captain Marvel is going to be the first time in a while where Marvel are going to have to really up their game.

I agree....I think they know it and I think they will. Brie is not just a "good" actor. She is, at least, very, very good with charm to spare. She rocks on screen and is going to kill it if she has the right tools. Those pulling the handles at Marvel get this.

EDIT: I think Marvel did this 3 years ago with GotG.

Last edited:

I also think Batgirl will get a release date when WB announces the WW sequel.

I'd argue it's going to be difficult to look back on WW with the same lens as either TDK, Avengers or Guardians because of films leading up to it. If anything the chips were stacked firmly against WW. There's probably no other superhero movie that's had so much weight on its shoulders. First movie of a pop culture icon, first female lead superhero film in 12 years, staring a woman who most people hadn't heard of 3 years ago, has to help generate positive buzz for another movie, has to change the tone, discussion and direction for an entire franchise, has to perform well at the box office and has to get good critical reception. So, do you want that job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"