Wonder Woman Rotten Tomatoes Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mjölnir;35278505 said:
Yes, and I'll say my opinion again; everything above 80% is great, or perhaps better yet, everything certified fresh is great. This is such a rough tool so sitting and comparing percentages here and there within that is pretty pointless. That's imo way beyond the line where personal reflection should have overtaken the discussion (critics don't decide what's good or bad, they just give recommendations and we all decide for ourselves), although we of course can't do that about WW yet.

I wasn't aiming my post at you specifically, but I agree with this post.

It's just interesting seeing some people back down from their excitement and temper their opinions now that it actually looks like it'll have a good reception from critics. Now some people are insinuating its performance isn't anything to write home about, it's just decent, when if we look at the movies it's currently alongside it's more than just decent.

I'm sure everyone who was excited (or just claimed to be) about WW a year or so ago would've been elated if they were told it would be considered up there with SM78/S-M2/TDK/TDKR/IM/Civil War, etc.

Mjölnir;35278463 said:
It's not semantics, it's a relevant part of the discussion.

A good superhero movie generally brings in a ton of money at the BO these days, so it doesn't require a groundbreaking movie to do that. Therefor this might be breaking grounds in the business, but it doesn't mean that women just make very different movies than men (which in turn means that they shouldn't be distrusted as much as they have been with things like these).

And this is the RT thread so groundbreaking should be talked about in the sense of reviews. That a woman is in the director's chair shouldn't change reviews as that doesn't change what the movie is, it should be judged on it's own. So the good reviews this far should be because this is a good movie.

The quote unquote politics could very well have an impact on the RT score as well as the bo - just read some of the reviews - and its as relevant to the discussion as any other factor(s). Should or shouldnt dont enter into it. Sorry.

i just want to say, i'm shocked at how positive the reviews are so far. i expected wonder woman to have the best chance at a fresh rating out of the DCEU, but i thought the ceiling would be 75-80%. it looks like it'll settle somewhere around the low 90's, which is fantastic.

The mitigating comes in when you say it all comes from the director and the script and act like it isn't coming from her. No matter what you or anyone else thinks of bvs and her performance in it, Gal is lauded for being the best part of that movie. A movie that gets trashed for its script and director.

I didn't see that from anyone on this thread. I just saw a post saying that it was a good, well made movie, but not groundbreaking. I took that to mean the movie wasn't groundbreaking in the sense of the movie itself. I think we all agree that it IS groundbreaking to have a woman headlining and directing a blockbuster, big budget movie. Speaking for myself, I think it's about time; as well as time for more.

EDIT: Ahhhhh.....now I know what you're saying. "I" said I didn't think Gal displayed a lot of range in BvS. I also felt that it might be the director more than anything else. I was referring to BvS in that case. Yes, I DO think that at this stage of her career, she may well need some seasoning and that it takes time to really hone your acting chops. I had concerns about her acting coming into this movie. haven't yet seen it and would be glad to be proven wrong. Even at her best in BvS (which I found good), I don't think she's yet a top actor. Still, if this script and direction works for her, I can't really say it was "them" that pulled it off. It's a group effort. What's good is good regardless.

Last edited:
I didn't see that from anyone on this thread. I just saw a post saying that it was a good, well made movie, but not groundbreaking. I took that to mean the movie wasn't groundbreaking in the sense of the movie itself. I think we all agree that it IS groundbreaking to have a woman headlining and directing a blockbuster, big budget movie. Speaking for myself, I think it's about time; as well as time for more.

EDIT: Ahhhhh.....now I know what you're saying. "I" said I didn't think Gal displayed a lot of range in BvS. I also felt that it might be the director more than anything else. I was referring to BvS in that case. Yes, I DO think that at this stage of her career, she may well need some seasoning and that it takes time to really hone your acting chops. I had concerns about her acting coming into this movie. haven't yet seen it and would be glad to be proven wrong. Even at her best in BvS (which I found good), I don't think she's yet a top actor. Still, if this script and direction works for her, I can't really say it was "them" that pulled it off. It's a group effort. What's good is good regardless.

She was in Criminal. The script is trash. She elevated her role without that support (so did Kevin Costner). I've seen her in Israeli tv shows. She has raw talent that can't be excuse away by a director or script. Patty just tapped into more of what she can already naturally do and displayed it.

Right now WW sits at Iron Man's average of 7.7 out of 10 and Iron Man shares the 94% Fresh rating that TDK has, but sits well below the 8.6 out of 10 average.

From all I've read, I think Iron Man may be the best comparison. The original Superman was 8/10 with a lot fewer RT reviews, but that's another good comparison.

I can see WW staying in the low to mid 90s with a 7.7ish average rating.

Yes I was going to mention Iron Man. I think there is a fair chance it can emulate that. (which would be an amazing result)

There's the general thread for that.

Sorry, I don't see us agreeing on this then. It's not about a movie is good because the critics say it's good. It has to do with belittling critics and their jobs when they pan a movie some people like, vs. now giving each other high fives because the same critics are praising a movie people are looking forward to.

I was talking about the board in general not just this thread.

You can think what you want. The hypocrisy you are seeing is your opinion not a fact. My opinion of the film has zero to do with whether the critics like it or not and my excitement for the film had zero to do with the RT score. We have all been saying that for weeks around here. I can still be excited the reviews are good even if I dont care either way. If you cant see that then it is probably best we end this conversation.

I was talking about the board in general not just this thread.

You can think what you want. The hypocrisy you are seeing is your opinion not a fact. My opinion of the film has zero to do with whether the critics like it or not and my excitement for the film had zero to do with the RT score. We have all been saying that for weeks around here. I can still be excited the reviews are good even if I dont care either way. If you cant see that then it is probably best we end this conversation.

I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of going through the BvS rotten tomatoes thread, JL Lounge threads, etc. picking out all the posts that slammed critics and their professions over the past 4 years. So I don't see how that's opinion if I've seen quite a few posters say that. But again that will derail this thread so let's just end this conversation.

She was in Criminal. The script is trash. She elevated her role without that support (so did Kevin Costner). I've seen her in Israeli tv shows. She has raw talent that can't be excuse away by a director or script. Patty just tapped into more of what she can already naturally do and displayed it.

Good for both of them. That's essentially what I'm saying. It's a team effort. I only saw Gal in BvS so I don't have as much perspective as you do. I thought she was one of the better parts of BvS in some spots, but in others, I felt she faltered and my first thought was a fear that she couldn't carry a movie as lead. If that had turned out to be the case, it would have given the powers that be another excuse not to do something like WW again. Thankfully, I feel much more confident at this point in time.

I am also looking forward to Captain Marvel being a big success and feel very confident Brie Larson will bring charm and a LOT of talent to the role. They've been working on the script for quite some time and I doubt Marvel will drop the ball on this one. How it does at the BO is a different story. I don't think it will be able to reach WW numbers, but feel it will do well.

I wasn't aiming my post at you specifically, but I agree with this post.

It's just interesting seeing some people back down from their excitement and temper their opinions now that it actually looks like it'll have a good reception from critics. Now some people are insinuating its performance isn't anything to write home about, it's just decent, when if we look at the movies it's currently alongside it's more than just decent.

I'm sure everyone who was excited (or just claimed to be) about WW a year or so ago would've been elated if they were told it would be considered up there with SM78/S-M2/TDK/TDKR/IM/Civil War, etc.

Oh, I didn't think you were. My intention was to just agree with you and refer to a point I made much earlier today.

The quote unquote politics could very well have an impact on the RT score as well as the bo - just read some of the reviews - and its as relevant to the discussion as any other factor(s). Should or shouldnt dont enter into it. Sorry.

I'm avoiding most reviews but I'm not surprised that it plays a factor. My main point is just that I don't think who the director is should change your view of the movie. Once it's out the movie stands on it's own.

That of course being separated from viewing the industry, where giving more chances like these to women is a positive thing. Let all people be just people and prove themselves as individuals.

90% of critics saying "It's alright" for one movie vs. 60% of critics saying "It's one of the best film in years". Which is the better film? The former has the higher Tomato score, but doesn't mean the film is "better". That's the thing the public doesn't really get with RT.
Amen.

In this case in particular i have already seen in some places WW being put in the same level as a GOTG2, Doctor Strange... Wich is very good. I still can't say for sure because i haven't seen it yet but i would like to hear from someone who did and in their opinions we're would they put WW at. And try and be a bit objective and not only using this to trash Marvel, DC, Fox, Sony...

Just an estimate for WW. For those who saw it where would it rank?

64/66. Nine reviews away from Certified Fresh.

If it got nothing but Rottens until it reached 75, it would still end up at 85%. Wowza.

I'm so glad this is getting positive reviews. Not only does this help give the DCEU a boost it very much needed but it also helps movies like Ms. Marvel and Batwoman.

Just an estimate for WW. For those who saw it where would it rank?

I think at least on SHH if the reviews are on point, it may be considered the best DCEU movie out of the 4, consensus wise.

But ranking it among all time DC with TDKT, SM, SM2, B89 and BR will be the more interesting ranking.

I think at least on SHH if the reviews are on point, it may be considered the best DCEU movie out of the 4, consensus wise.

But ranking it among all time DC with TDKT, SM, SM2, B89 and BR will be the more interesting ranking.
Thank you. Best DCEU movie title doesn't really help that much. Like you said the interesting "rank" is with other movies and see if WW can "punch above her weight" and go against the top ones or it settles itself for a second wave of very good movies which is perfectly fine and a big success.

A lot of reviews are calling it the best DC movie since TDK, so... that's certainly something.

A lot of reviews are calling it the best DC movie since TDK, so... that's certainly something.
Absolutely. Since TDK we had Watchmen, TDKR, Man of Steel... Those are pretty good movies.

I wish they wouldn't keep just calling this the best DC movie. I want to know if it's the best comic book movie since whatever film they measure it against.

Glad that the RT score is so high. It feels like it's in an alternate universe where it's doing well and getting such praise, and that we're going to suddenly be shocked back into reality with low scores and criticisms of it being badly acted or unevenly paced or a mess of a movie.

giphy.gif

beautiful

I'm so glad this is getting positive reviews. Not only does this help give the DCEU a boost it very much needed but it also helps movies like Ms. Marvel and Batwoman.
I think you meant Captain Marvel and Batgirl.

So where is Collider's rating and where is John Campea's review? What's he afraid of now that he won't post it?

So where is Collider's rating and where is John Campea's review? What's he afraid of now that he won't post it?
He posted it last night.

[YT]1kRpqWVJDtw[/YT]

Don't know what hooplah about is still. Gave it a glowing review and the worst thing he said about it is it's not "Top 10" material. That's as good as anyone can hope for, especially with how gloom he's been with Gal.

Campea doesn't add his reviews to RT. He does have two reviews there, but both were made 9 years ago.

Edit: Or perhaps I misunderstood your intent, judging by the post that got in before mine?

Ok I see. Thanks. I'm not going to watch that until after the movie is out. What if it does become a classic film. Is he still going to insist it's not top 10 material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"