• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Amazing Spider-Man Worst part of TASM

If you notice the scene where Dr. Connors is showing his "split personality," the voice over (his thoughts) are actually the same lines from the deleted sewer scene.

to you maybe but i know i'm not alone

I mean that no Spider-man movie so far has shown any other superhero. That includes Spider-man 1, Spider-man 2, Spider-man 3 and The Amazing Spider-man. Hell, even the 1970's Spider-man Tv series.

I mean that no Spider-man movie so far has shown any other superhero. That includes Spider-man 1, Spider-man 2, Spider-man 3 and The Amazing Spider-man. Hell, even the 1970's Spider-man Tv series.

oh okay I apologize, I get what you're saying now. I thought you meant adding an mcu reference to any new asm movie (the new series) would be the worst thing about it.

Since the spider reboot debuted after 2008 which was the year iron man debuted and therefore the mcu as well, I expected them to include themselves in this phenomena; wherein, marvel superheroes are crossing over in each other's movies and stories, intermingling exactly the way they always have in the comics. for spiderman to not participate makes the mcu very very disjointed.

and of course its because spidey is with sony and i heard that sony has spiderman because marvel was going bankrupt back then but if sony was still with marvel, you could definitely bet your asses he would have at least had some sort of crossover appearance by now. no one would be saying stuff like "spiderman doesnt belong there/he's better off alone with no references to anyone else"

my worst part when peter went to the store wonted buy milk then the storage mangers wouldn't give him his milk he didn't have 2 cents the guy that robbed the store manger he throw the milk after he robbed the store manger but peter he saw his face but then when he shot uncle ben after he gets his powers it show him hunting down the criminal as spider -man but it like he never did saw his face but he knew what he looked like with his tattoo . but the criminal that killed uncle bun he acted like he didn't see his face he looked at him when he give him the milk I didn't understand that part.

my worst part when peter went to the store wonted buy milk then the storage mangers wouldn't give him his milk he didn't have 2 cents the guy that robbed the store manger he throw the milk after he robbed the store manger but peter he saw his face but then when he shot uncle ben after he gets his powers it show him hunting down the criminal as spider -man but it like he never did saw his face but he knew what he looked like with his tattoo . but the criminal that killed uncle bun he acted like he didn't see his face he looked at him when he give him the milk I didn't understand that part.

Wha….?

someone said this before but I also wasn't too crazy about lizard's agenda. turn veryone into lizards?

and I'll still say those cut lines with ratha and peter makes it false advertising

someone said this before but I also wasn't too crazy about lizard's agenda. turn veryone into lizards?

and I'll still say those cut lines with ratha and peter makes it false advertising
Meh. Far too many movies have done the same for me to consider that a knock. I didn't like the movie at all myself, and even I would call that a reach.

Meh. Far too many movies have done the same for me to consider that a knock. I didn't like the movie at all myself, and even I would call that a reach.

the lizard or ratha

if they included that in the film it would have been a very revealing conversation. leaving it out probably changed the course of the film.

I think you're overstating the degree to which that affects the movie, but ok; different strokes for different folks.

I don't think that scene would have made a huge difference in the film's quality, but it would have definitely been better than the sewer scene that we got.

I wasn't crazy but looking at that(it feels like a classic Lizard plot from the comics but also it's just Dr. Connors who said he wanted to make a perfect world without any weakness to the Oscorp interns but Lizard is simply just a more extreme version of Dr.Connors without any restraints who thought the only way to make the perfect world he desired was to turn them into Lizards like him). But I wish we see Lizard become more beastial and more mindless with each transformation.

But I feel like their should be deleted scenes that should have been kept in.

I think you're overstating the degree to which that affects the movie, but ok; different strokes for different folks.

asm made the spider bite seem entirely an accident. the lines ratha spoke in the trailer implied something else.

Personally I think one of the wost scenes was when Peter went to OsCorp. So he steals someone's identity, and doesn't even care, the person giving nametags doesn't ask for any sort of ID, Gwen doesn't tell anyone that Peter's a fraud, and doesn't keep an eye on him, Peter manages to replicate a code he saw from like 20 feet away at an angle, and he walks into a room full of spiders because he's an idiot.

Another horrible scene is with the cranes. Seriously, why does Spidey need cranes? He slings off buildings. Cranes shouldn't be that close to each other to allow Peter to swing quicker.

Personally I think one of the wost scenes was when Peter went to OsCorp. So he steals someone's identity, and doesn't even care, the person giving nametags doesn't ask for any sort of ID, Gwen doesn't tell anyone that Peter's a fraud, and doesn't keep an eye on him, Peter manages to replicate a code he saw from like 20 feet away at an angle, and he walks into a room full of spiders because he's an idiot.

Another horrible scene is with the cranes. Seriously, why does Spidey need cranes? He slings off buildings. Cranes shouldn't be that close to each other to allow Peter to swing quicker.

1)It's a funny scene and *worst*...
2)A fraud? What? Also he's an idiot because he walked into a room full of f***ing Spiders that lots of others have done? You can also tell a code from 20 ft away, for sure if you are Peter Parker.

I think you won the prize for most ridiculous reasons why a movie sucked!

The visiting Oscorp scene is one of my favorite parts of the movie. You have to let certain things slide in movies, especially the "not checking for ID" types of things.

1)It's a funny scene and *worst*...

That just makes it seems more out of place in what's supposed to be a more grounded film. If this was a parody of Spider-man, it would have felt like it belonged. Although given thate Peter rips someone' shirt off, shoves his crotch in a crook's face, Uncle Ben dying over chocolate milk, the Lizard finding out Peter's identity in the lamest way ever and crawling out of a toilet, I can't help but think this is a tweaked version of the original script for Superhero Movie.

The film had funny scenes that made sense (Peter wrecking his room after he got his powers). This is inexcusable.

2)A fraud?

What part of stealing someone's ID do you not understand?

What? Also he's an idiot because he walked into a room full of f***ing Spiders that lots of others have done?

Presumably they are trained professions and wear protective gear.

You can also tell a code from 20 ft away, for sure if you are Peter Parker.

You're confusing Peter Parker with Hawkeye.

I think you won the prize for most ridiculous reasons why a movie sucked!

I don't think the movie sucks as a whole, but those scenes did suck. Your fanboyism is just clouding your judgement :word:

I think that's a cheap thing to say. "Your fanboyism is just clouding your judgement."

Got a better explanation?

Last edited:
I think that's a cheap thing to say. "Your fanboyism is just clouding your judgement."

Is this Peter Parker we're talking about. That nerdy guy, smart for physics and science but not very bright when it's about dangerous situations?

Yes, he was after his father's secrets, he would do whatever to access those offices and know why his parents disappear.

And Gwen knows Peter. She saw him defending a boy at their school, so she doesn't think he's a spy or anything.

Sure, sure. It could have been written better, explained everything much better.

Well, the scene has Spider-man having problems to get there as he had recently been shot in his leg. But the scene is not that much about that, but showing why people care for the hero. Maybe Spider-man could have done it by himself eventually to the building, but the point is that, whatever the case, certain people in New York would go and help Spider-man just because he might need it, not because it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Us New Yorkers really stick together and help each other out in times of trouble. Whatever you think of the crane sequence in TASM1, I'm sure Webb and co. are well aware of what people thought of that scene and we will probably never see anything like that again.

I would like to preface this by saying that I think TASM has an amazing, pitch-perfect cast who are all well-chosen for their parts. I just wish they were working with better scripts or a better director.

I don't like the new Peter Parker as a character. He doesn't grow or change or become a better person. He's obsessed with his own problems and only shows interest in helping others when the plot demands it of him. He's a sexy skateboarder who stands up to bullies and breaks into maximum-security pharmaceutical/bioengineering laboratories long before he's got the spider-bite, and girls are immediately interested in him. Frankly just can't relate with this guy or any of his problems, and I don't feel like he really learns any lessons in the first movie, because it ends with him betraying his promise to Captain Stacy. And don't none of you tell me "they're saving the character development for the sequels" because the first movie should stand on its own.

I do not care about what happened to Peter's parents. I simply do not care. It is of no interest to me what crazy secrets are behind his parents' disappearance. It's not compelling and it's not relatable.

The lizard is an awful villain. His design is awful, his motivation is awful, the scene where he mixes up liquids in the chemistry lab to create an explosive is awful, and all of his repetive lines like "there's no need to stop me peter!" or "you won't get in the way of my plans, peter parker" or "you won't stop me again!" are awful.

But the suit was cool.

"I have to stop him. Its my responsibility."

Gee, I guess he didn't learn anything, did he. :rolleyes:

The idea is that he doesn't just thrown on the costume and immediately become the "Spider-Man" that we know and love. The Raimi films skipped over all of that in SM1. He is learning, and his character does progress throughout the movie. He hasn't become a crime fighter just yet (we see that at the end of the movie when he chases the police sirens, leading into the second movie where he has become an everyday superhero), but starts out only trying to use his powers selfishly. And as far as the parents storyline, not every single story regarding Spider-Man has to be relatable. You're never going to get bitten by a Spider and get powers either, so you might as well just quit while you're at it. The Oscorp conspiracy element to the series is what makes it so much more intriguing, so if you don't like it, IDK what to tell you. *shrug*

Peter didn't betray Captain Stacy because he didn't learn anything. He couldn't reject the dying man's wishes, but he didn't want to give up his love either. Peter is stuck in a very difficult situation, and personally, I don't blame him for wanting to keep Gwen anyway. But now he will have to face the consequences in the sequel. All of the relatable elements are still there, whether you choose to see them or not is up to you.

One thing I will agree with though is that the villain was meh. Could have been a lot better.

Last edited:
I would like to preface this by saying that I think TASM has an amazing, pitch-perfect cast who are all well-chosen for their parts. I just wish they were working with better scripts or a better director.

I don't like the new Peter Parker as a character. He doesn't grow or change or become a better person. He's obsessed with his own problems and only shows interest in helping others when the plot demands it of him. He's a sexy skateboarder who stands up to bullies and breaks into maximum-security pharmaceutical/bioengineering laboratories long before he's got the spider-bite, and girls are immediately interested in him. Frankly just can't relate with this guy or any of his problems, and I don't feel like he really learns any lessons in the first movie, because it ends with him betraying his promise to Captain Stacy. And don't none of you tell me "they're saving the character development for the sequels" because the first movie should stand on its own.

I do not care about what happened to Peter's parents. I simply do not care. It is of no interest to me what crazy secrets are behind his parents' disappearance. It's not compelling and it's not relatable.

The lizard is an awful villain. His design is awful, his motivation is awful, the scene where he mixes up liquids in the chemistry lab to create an explosive is awful, and all of his repetive lines like "there's no need to stop me peter!" or "you won't get in the way of my plans, peter parker" or "you won't stop me again!" are awful.

But the suit was cool.

I do think that is harder to get a pin on what kind of person that Andrew Garfield/Mark Webb interpretation of Peter Parker than it is to get previous versions of Spider-Man that he comes off as more as mystery seeing as he is the character in this movie who talks the least. He doesn't have the benefit of monologues,scenes of expositions, narrating his life or what he is thinking or unlike other heroes in comics, movies, cartoons(like Bruce Wayne to Alfred or Rachel, MOS Superman to Jor-el,Martha and Lois, etc) or even what Tobey had the chance to do in the Raimi films or other Spider-Man in cartoons in comics. In fact most of his full conversations as Peter to let us know what he's thinking is either with Gwen(on the football bleachers or when she was patching him up for the most part), Uncle Ben(when he snaps at him mostly), Captain Stacy(Defending Spider-Man's actions at the dinner scene, explaining that Dr.Connors is the Lizard and when he learns his identity) or Curt Connors(about the cross species genetics/decay rate algorithm,at Oscorp or trying to persuade Lizard to . He doesn't really show confidence unless he's Spidey, talking to Gwen after he revealed his identity and the end of the movie after he made the promise to Captain Stacy and heard the voice message. The death/disappearance of his parents is understandably a sore topic for Peter and it helps explain why he is the way he is.

It seems except for Flash who bullies him until his uncle dies, Gwen who is the only one who really notices him in the back of the class and the girl/Sally Avrill who asked to Peter to take pictures of her boyfriend's car to take it feels like for the most part he stays to himself. We really have to really more on Andrew's body movement and clothing, musical theme and more subtle details in order what happens to get an idea of what he's thinking or doing at the moment.I never count skateboarding as a personality trait and more as simply a mode of transportation because as he only really shows any skill after he got his powers and was testing it out in the warehouse. But honestly I disagree with the or an emo, a punk, hipster or *****e which a few people thought to describe him which all feel like generalizations because they can't really call him a nerd(mainly because nerds aren't as bullied or as persecuted in today's school system than it was in the 60s let alone 2002 which even then it felt like how Raimi's Peter was bullied was more extreme than how comic Peter was bullied let alone real life nerds/science prodigies in public schools in real life) but honestly he doesn't fit any of these descriptions at all to me and I feel like there is only: the overall loner who really doesn't know how to act social situations so he usually just sticks in the background and keeps to himself(unless it's someone else getting bullied), the vigilante searching for his uncle killer who learns to be a hero and what it means to be responsible, the kid searching for his father and like Mark Webb said "finds himself".) Honestly I feel like he didn't truly become Spider-Man until after he saved Jack from the burning car on the bridge and at the end of the movie. 
these two quoted posts(With some of my bold inputs)

I liked the part where he walked away from MJ, too. I was feeling the burden with him. Also I was sort of rooting against him getting the girl, since the "this whole story revolves around a girl" idea bugged me so much (and I'm a girl so this rom-com bs is supposed to appeal to me, yet I would rather have his love interest be part of his world, not be his whole world), but I digress...

Just saw Amazing Spider-Man a second time, paid more attention to how Garfield was playing Peter Parker/Spider-Man, and I went from lukewarm about it to liking it a lot. I was expecting more funny wisecracks the first time around, and was disappointed by the amount there was in the movie, which colored my judgement a bit. My first impression was that there was too much emo crying, but now I think it's pretty much the right amount and not emo considering the story put him through the wringer (they had him angst over his parents, then Uncle Ben, then Dr Connors, and finally Captain Stacy... would have been nice if they eased up and don't kill Captain Stacy yet, but oh well). Andrew's face got close to being too weird during the Uncle Ben death scene, but it's still not so bad compared to Tobeyface. Overall he did well with the teary/crying scenes. Very affecting; didn't make me wonder what's wrong with his face.

Okay, now I see he definitely isn't "too cool for school". It's just that he played his dorkiness in a gawky way, as opposed to a derpy way, which was how Tobey played it. Sure, Andrew's Peter Parker has "cooler" hair and clothes - but trust me, if he's a hipster he should be wearing weirder clothes to show off what a unique snowflake he is, so I don't see him as hipster. Check out the drab colors he wears as Peter Parker. This is a kid trying to blend into the background. Big contrast with the red and blue as Spider-Man.

Look at the way he took it in stride when Flash hit him with a basketball on purpose and shrunk back when Flash pretended to be about to hit him, and look at that part where he had to squeeze past a couple blocking his locker (who completely ignored him). Everything in his body language got across that this is a guy who is used to being treated like garbage.

So, he usually just takes whatever crap people dish out to him. But pick on someone else in front of him and he won't take it anymore. That would make him push back. Wow, even old trilogy Peter Parker didn't stand up to bullies before powers. After powers, Amazing Peter Parker didn't do anything to Flash until Flash picked on some girl (Peter might have been so eager because he's partly getting a little sweet revenge for himself and having fun showing off, but still). Old trilogy Peter Parker wasn't defending anyone else, just himself, when he hit Flash hard enough to send him flying. Who's the real goody-two-shoes here? Come to think of it, maybe Amazing Peter Parker is even too good to be true (ah, well, he is a superhero after all).

He was really not as much of a belligerent brat to Uncle Ben and Aunt May as in my first impression. The way he leapt to help right away when there was a problem in the house (flooded basement) - pretty clear this is a kid that likes to help out around the house (and the fix for the freezer flooding the basement is pretty technical, so they're showing that he's smart at the same time, I liked that). And he was quick to assure Uncle Ben that he's been a great father when Uncle Ben was going on about not being able to help him with his homework.

The apology when he got home late after getting the spider-bite at Oscorp? Felt pretty genuine. The apology over forgetting to pick up Aunt May? Also felt genuine. He only got impatient after Uncle Ben kept on lecturing him at length and then it hit a raw nerve when his father was mentioned. That he didn't get belligerent faster already makes him way more mellow than most teens. His face when he looked back at Uncle Ben and Aunt May after breaking their door - shocked, apologetic, freaked out - so much going on in that short moment. If only Uncle Ben didn't follow him. He totally would have been back home soon enough apologizing profusely and working on getting the door fixed.

Telling Aunt May to go to bed? He kept hiding his face from her and it was aggravating for her, but he wasn't trying to be rude and disrespectful. The guilt... the shame... it was written all over his face. He literally couldn't face her. Putting a blanket over her when she was asleep on the couch? Aww... so sweet. Oh, and gotta love that scene near the end where he hands Aunt May some eggs with a sheepish grin and gives her a hug while she's horrified at his scratched up face and generally looking like something the cat dragged in. That was hilarious and touching at the same time.

Oh, and I'm 100% certain he knows the thief he let escape killed Uncle Ben as soon as the police handed him their sketch and tells him about the guy's arm tattoo. There was a close up on Peter's face and flashback showing Peter seeing the thief and his tattoo in the store, and the flashback of the thief's face cut right to the sketch, in case we didn't get it. He didn't have to catch the guy to know it was the same guy, and I like it this way. I'm totally seeing what people are saying about this movie showing the gradual progression of Peter becoming Spider-Man. This really is an untold story, considering the old trilogy just cut right to graduation from high school after Uncle Ben died (and he nabbed the guy the same night), then cut to a wacky montage of people talking about Spider-Man. The way the old trilogy did it was fun, and going through the rough "after losing Uncle Ben" time with Peter is not so fun, but I'm starting to appreciate how much more nuanced the Amazing version is when it comes to characterizations, in comparison to the trilogy version.
I can see how he might have a brooding loner vibe. Especially that part where he went kind of dark after Uncle Ben died. But I think mostly he's actually a little too cheerful and friendly to really be considered a brooding loner. That scene where the girl asked him to take a picture of her boyfriend's car? A brooding loner would have told her to piss off or walked away from her without dignifying her stupid request with a response. He smiled and said yes (his "that's so thoughtful of you" cracked me up), happy that one of his peers is being nice to him for once, even though he knows very well that she's just using him. He strikes me as a guy who does want to make friends, it's just that most of his peers are either awful or indifferent to him. And he's kind of afraid to "put himself out there" because it's so awkward for him. Which is how he usually ends up hanging out alone.

It seems he's in yearbook club? For some reason he takes pictures of various school activities and put them in the display case at school. Hey, being a photographer is the perfect activity for someone who wants to interact with people but hide behind something at the same time. Tobey Peter was a photographer on his school newspaper and in the chess club but apparently was bullied by a lot of people (bus drivers, no one let him get a seat on the bus, college classmates, etc) and didn't really talk to or was friends with MJ until the end of his senior year if you go by Spider-Man 1 while Ultimate Peter only hung out with Harry Osborn who was the popular rich kid on the basketball team and best friends with MJ(who has some of MJ traits/background but was more like Gwen) since childhood and hung out with more people after he became the star basketball player and quit and later hung out with more people after he became Spider-Man and 616 Peter was loved by his teachers and occasionally hung out with the popular kids who made fun of him but was otherwise an outsider in High School but Spider-Man helped build his confidence and in college he met people like Harry and Gwen thought he was snobby when his aunt was in the hospital but they eventually became close friends among other college students.

I forget, did he ask Gwen out or did she ask him out? In any case, she became more approachable to him because she was nice to him first. Gwen seems to be the only one who cares/acknowledges about Peter even before the accident seeing as she stands up to Flash before he beats up Peter even more, how she's the only one to ask Peter to go to the nurse and see if he's alright when everyone else(except for the guy who kicked his camera) pretty much ignores him and he sits in the back of the class quietly, she jokes about Peter being the second smartest in the class, Uncle Ben had to start the conversation that led to Peter joke around about how Peter has the pictures on his computer, besides Flash she was the only one in the school to comfort him after his Uncle died and asked him out to a dinner at her family's house because the last conversation Peter was stuttering/nervous when talking to Gwen trying to ask her out after Uncle Ben basically started the conversation (Gwen in the early comics was interested when she first met Peter but since he was worried about his Aunt May who was stuck in the hospital and she also feel like Ultimate MJ in USM#1-13)

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention that he clearly didn't mean to beat up the people on the subway. It's just that his new Spider-reflexes went into overdrive when they came at him. But he kept apologizing to them anyway, even as they kept attacking him. Such a good boy with such good manners. Hee.

Anyway, he only seems to brood in situations where it would make perfect sense for anyone to get broody, like finding the briefcase belonging to the father who abandoned him, losing the uncle who was like a father to him, turning his mentor into a monster, and getting his girlfriend's father killed (and having to promise not to see her anymore). Brooding in these circumstances just makes him human.

We have to remember, unlike us, he doesn't know there's anything more to the story. As far as he knows, dad just discarded 7(?)year-old him with a stern "be good". I was like "wow, that's cold". (When I saw the movie the only good/true reaction he has to the lost of his father was when he snaps at Uncle Ben before running off to the convenience store, he doesn't really seem to enjoy or think about talking about his parents, he shifts his glances when someone mentions his dad and when he was told he looks like his dad with his glasses on he immediately put it above his head and looks downward.He he is not a kid who likes talking about his problems or revealing his emotions often like most kids his age.

To see a dick and *****enozzle of the highest order playing at being Spider-Man, see Peter Parker in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoons. I haven't been able to bring myself to watch anymore episodes of that lately, I'm afraid it would ruin my Amazing Spider-Man high. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"