Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom General Discussion thread

So, this came out today in Mexico and i saw it.
Yeah, that was awful. There's an occasional funny line here and there but the rest is so...lifeless, as generic and bland as it gets.
Yeah i just came out of my showing and this was horrible. The words you used to describe this was spot on. Its a damn shame the DCU has ended like this but evitable by what was happening BTS. This film has No redeeming qualities, Just a waste of money in all honesty and wont feast my eyes upon it again. Im intrigued to see what the hype thinks because this is on Black Adam, Shazam 2, WW84 levels maybe even worse lol. I generally enjoyed the first one but James Wan really must of had his balls in a vice by the exes, his style and competence was completely non existent here.

Boy this year has without doubt been a ****show for CBM in general. Its not like i soak up every negative article or video all day everyday but gosh my general enthusiasm for CBM's are at a bitter level right now. 10 years of mostly poor execution, weak plots, generic scores. dodgy CGI. Unfunny comedy. Just completely forgettable films that i can't even remember. Is it fatigue? probably but even with Gun's possible redemption around the corner. Im statically cautious for whats instore.

So
Yeah i just came out of my showing and this was horrible. The words you used to describe this was spot on. Its a damn shame the DCU has ended like this but evitable by what was happening BTS. This film has No redeeming qualities, Just a waste of money in all honesty and wont feast my eyes upon it again. Im intrigued to see what the hype thinks because this is on Black Adam, Shazam 2, WW84 levels maybe even worse lol. I generally enjoyed the first one but James Wan really must of had his balls in a vice by the exes, his style and competence was completely non existent here.

Boy this year has without doubt been a ****show for CBM in general. Its not like i soak up every negative article or video all day everyday but gosh my general enthusiasm for CBM's are at a bitter level right now. 10 years of mostly poor execution, weak plots, generic scores. dodgy CGI. Unfunny comedy. Just completely forgettable films that i can't even remember. Is it fatigue? probably but even with Gun's possible redemption around the corner. Im statically cautious for whats instore.

Its not even a so bad its entertaining kind of movie? Is the action and visuals on par with the first one? Because thats pretty much what made the first one what it was.

So

Its not even a so bad its entertaining kind of movie? Is the action and visuals on par with the first one? Because thats pretty much what made the first one what it was.

Imo nope, the only highlight was Black Manta Vs Aquaman's last fight and even that was short lived. In terms of genuine memorable set pieces...... like, theres not a sicly set piece that stands out like the first film. Some of the enviroments were really vibrant though. If that means anything lool

Man, i'd say its much worse than those, because there's at least one aspect of each of those that i genuinely enjoyed but i have NOTHING on this, i honestly hated it, i dont think there's one reedemable aspect of this movie, maybe Topo the octopus, but no one hates Topo.

I can't believe they started teasing this with official set photos back in 2021, only to turn as one of the worst reviewed DCEU films, and no movie premiere red carpet event. Like what a sad yet fitting end to a misguided DCEU.

Patrick Wilson and Yahya as Black Manta were the best parts of this movie. James Wan still has a unique, creative, eye when it comes to action sequences, but I just was feeling that same energy I got from the first movie and the humor in this was pretty cringe/awful at times too.

I know the first Aquaman was considered by most including me to be a really silly, campy, dumb movie which it unapologetically was but at least it was alot of fun and knew when to take itself seriously.

This was just a hot mess from beginning to end and while I still got some enjoyment out of it and was never bored I can't say I'll remember all that much afterwards or be in any rush to rewatch it. It's easily one of the weaker DCEU movies to come out this year right next to Fury of the Gods IMO.

Guys just got out of Lost Kingdom and I had a total blast with this. This might be my favorite DC movie of the year (i know, low bar lol).

After everything we’d been hearing about this movie i was clenching myself for an absolute abomination and mess of a film but it is absolutely not that. I dont know what was so bad about this movie that had people walk out of test screenings (allegedly). Its FUN. Its a big dumb silly 80s action adventure movie thats never boring: its got cool visuals, cool action (and lots of it), a very straightforward story and a rockin’ synth score like the first one. Yes you can tell the movie was cut down a bit, some areas definitely seemed rushed but a lot happens in the 2 hour runtime.

Its basically more of the same from the first movie guys. Mamoa and Wilson have good chmeistry together and some of their banter and jokes are genuinely funny. I’m in shock at how much i enjoyed this.

Patrick Wilson and Yahya as Black Manta were the best parts of this movie. James Wan still has a unique, creative, eye when it comes to action sequences, but I just was feeling that same energy I got from the first movie and the humor in this was pretty cringe/awful at times too.

I know the first Aquaman was considered by most including me to be a really silly, campy, dumb movie which it unapologetically was but at least it was alot of fun and knew when to take itself seriously.

This was just a hot mess from beginning to end and while I still got some enjoyment out of it and was never bored I can't say I'll remember all that much afterwards or be in any rush to rewatch it. It's easily one of the weaker DCEU movies to come out this year right next to Fury of the Gods IMO.
I'm gonna agree with you on those two being the best parts of the movie. They both also deserve so much better. Kind of by default, Yahya's Black Manta ended up being one of the best villains of the DCEU. It's not like there's a lot of competition but he's up there with Zod.

The film felt like a first draft of a script filmed straight away.

I've got to know more from the returning characters in the first film, than I did in this sequel...

Yeah definitely a first draft where they threw together everything and didnt have a unified vision. I can only imagine how bad the film was before the reshoots to retool the film.

But I am glad that this version of Aquaman is over. He was just Aquabro throughout and between The Flash end credits where a drunk Arthur face plants into a puddle and the last scene in this film with a certain character....rough.

Yeah definitely a first draft where they threw together everything and didnt have a unified vision. I can only imagine how bad the film was before the reshoots to retool the film.

But I am glad that this version of Aquaman is over. He was just Aquabro throughout and between The Flash end credits where a drunk Arthur face plants into a puddle and the last scene in this film with a certain character....rough.
That last scene in Aquaman 2 was cringe!

EDIT: thanks for bringing up The Flash, as I only found out today that there's a post credit scene featuring Arthur in that movie.

Last edited:

Aqua Bro.... Lmao, pretty much why i haven't gelled with this character throughout the DCU. As someone who doesn't really have the lore or characterization locked down with Aquaman. Do people on the hype genuinely like this version?

I'm gonna agree with you on those two being the best parts of the movie. They both also deserve so much better. Kind of by default, Yahya's Black Manta ended up being one of the best villains of the DCEU. It's not like there's a lot of competition but he's up there with Zod.
Yeah Patrick Wilson is my underrated gem over the last decade. He genuinely brings competent acting in a variety of roles. Great guy.
Agreed with Black Manta being one of the best villains. He's had some great fights. Comic book worthy dialogue. Comic book accurate suit and Yahya brought that intensity most of the time he was on screen. The guy was relentless and a constant threat.

O.T Honestly i would like to see him as Blade in the MCU. He's got the range to pull him off and do a new era of Blade justice.

Can't say I'm surprised.
WB should have just scrapped it. They knew he had no future going forward in the new DCU.

Last edited:
Just came out and really enjoyed the film. It was fun and entertaining and among the best in recent years. The CGI wasn't as polished and a bit rushed but nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

Sad to see Aquamomoa go... I think he and his supporting characters were well-cast and Wan's Atlantis was visually interesting and embraced its lighter, comic book elements.

Definitely held back by a weak plot that needed more time to cook. I would've thrown out the possession villain, introduced Siren & Queen Clea, and turned it into a teamup movie with Gal Gadot that would properly close out the profitable part of the DCEU.

5.5/10

Just got out of my showing and honestly for me i thought that just like the first one this was a blast. Yes it’s a flawed film but fun as hell. IMO the DCEU went out with an entertaining, comedic and surprisingly emotional finish but I’m ready for the DCU and hopefully James Gunn and Peter Safran can get DC on the right path but yeah this was FUN. Wasn’t a bad way to end my Christmas.

This, to me, was a misfire that wasted its best elements. Either a 5.5/10 or a 6/10. It’s an inoffensive second part to the first…but why aim so low?

Tony Hale Screams 'Trash!' As Toy Story 4's Forky: WATCH

...my review of this film, concerning everything except for Orm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"