Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom General Discussion thread

Ok I most didn’t see it because of the bad reviews but I still had fun with it. Yes the stuff with Mera was obviously weird but Jason is just such a fun star and I adored Topo. It definitely wasn’t like…superman returns bad.

ah well so that’s how it ends. what a shame to go from a billion dollars to this but that’s Warner brothers/DC for you. Hopefully better luck next time. Hopefully a reboot won’t be too far away. Maybe ten years or so?

It definitely wasn’t like…superman returns bad.
I haven't seen that movie in a million years but I think it might be better than the sh*tfest of superhero movies we've had lately. Those were simpler times. Get in, get out. No sequel bait, no multiverse stuff.
I have a hunch Gunn's version will be closer to Donner's/Superman Returns.

I really enjoyed this quite a bit even if I can see why others didn’t.

I will admit that as someone with 4 brothers and two sons, I’m a sucker for any story that involves reconciliation of brothers

I'll gladly be in the minority and say I enjoyed it. But I can definitely see why people would pick this apart though.

I laughed more than I expected and it had some cool action moments.
I heard way more people laughing in this than recent marvel films so that’s something. Maybe it might become a cult classic?

I heard way more people laughing in this than recent marvel films so that’s something. Maybe it might become a cult classic?
Wouldn't surprise me. I feel if you enjoyed the first one a good bit, this is quite similar in a lot of ways. It may be an overall more messy film in all aspects, but at the end of the day, I laughed and had fun watching it. I've seen quite a few reviewers say it was boring, only time it felt a little on the slow side to me was around the middle of the film.

I also liked they still included a random door explosion, with Aquaman saying "I hate when that happens" lol. I think that happened 3-4 times in the first film.

I haven't seen the film myself yet to properly judge it, but I do think these later stages of the original DCEU will be looked back in a different light when all is said and done. We are too close to the debacle.

This is a weird example but, remember when the Masters of the Universe movie came out? It was nothing like the tv show and it was widely regarded as a failure. Well.. now 30 years later it has a special place, a totem of that period of time in 80's movie making. It has gained something that wasn't there when it came out. I think *something* like that will happen with some of these superhero movies that are failing right now.

Lundgren has previously said that he had a bigger role in the early cut, but he doesn't take it personally that his role was trimmed down, blaming corporate machinations. He said that his reduced role was directly tied to the reduced role for Mera (Amber Heard), since Lundgren was playing Mera's father.

"I just realized that it was some kind of corporate decision that they try to limit Amber Heard and then I'm playing with her dad and went along with it," Lundgren explained. "I was just disappointed for the moviegoers, because I thought the original script was great and the original cut -- I saw a little bit of it, it was really good, so I didn't see any reason to start reshooting and reshaping the story, which obviously led to disappointment in the moviegoers and not just me."

Dolphin? only just. He was barely in the movie!

get it

Aquaman and Science Trivia ;nd

I still haven’t seen this movie. However, I recently caught a Max promo for it and noticed it featured Aquaman riding a seahorse. A familiar and iconic image that I recall from comic books and cartoons. But it got me thinking. How big do seahorses get? Turns out, not very. Most are miniscule. And the largest is an Australian species that can reach about 12 inches (30 cm) in length and about 1 pound (0.454 kg) in weight. So we must chalk up the giant versions to fantasy. :cwink:

But then another thought occurred. Presumably, Aquaman rides seahorses for additional speed. Except… these critters — owing to their odd, non-hydrodynamic shape — aren’t built for speed. A better choice would be the Black Marlin: reputedly the world’s fastest fish @ 80 mph (129 km/h).

Then… a third thought. How fast does Aquaman, himself, swim? According to the internet, it’s an astonishing 6800 mph (10,944 km/h)!! :bow:

For comparison:

Fastest (jet) boat: 318 mph (511 km/h)
Fastest submarine: 38 mph (61 km/h)
Fastest torpedo (hydo-jet): 81 mph (130 km/h)
Fastest torpedo (rocket powered): 230 mph (370 km/h)
Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird (aircraft): 2193 mph (3530 Km/h)

So if Aquaman can top these speeds (by a big margin), one wonders how much faster those giant seahorses go. :wow:

So.....the movie about the water breathing, bullet resistant skinned, psychic fish controler, super strengthed Atlantis resident....lied to us about the size and abilities of seahorses? I'll need time to absorb this info.

So.....the movie about the water breathing, bullet resistant skinned, psychic fish controler, super strengthed Atlantis resident....lied to us about the size and abilities of seahorses? I'll need time to absorb this info.
I want my ****ing ticket money back.

But at the very least, I hope the various science factoids I cited were of modest interest. :cwink:

I actually knew very little about seahorses. But I imagined they might grow to some reasonable size — inspiring the more fantastical notion that they could be ridden like an actual horse. So I was shocked to discover that most seahorses are tiny. Here’s one grasping a Q-tip:

And that one bit of research led to another. And another…

But at the very least, I hope the various science factoids I cited were of modest interest. :cwink:

I actually knew very little about seahorses. But I imagined they might grow to some reasonable size — inspiring the more fantastical notion that they could be ridden like an actual horse. So I was shocked to discover that most seahorses are tiny. Here’s one grasping a Q-tip:

And that one bit of research led to another. And another…
They decidedly and indeedily were. The fact that I addressed your post so soon after I came out of a deep and refreshing winter's hibernation should speak of the importance of the factoids you imparted to us.

I do hope we don't have to wait too long for another Aquaman movie. I did enjoy these ones though and the fact they embraced the fantastical and 'sillyness' of Aquamans world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"